DAS Advanced Selections - your experiences

DLandWDWFan

Earning My Ears
Hi,
So I have my das advanced selections made and am looking for first hand experience.
1) if a ride that you made pre scheduled das for is down during the hour you made the reservation for - does it convert to an anytime pass like FP did? Can you get a different attraction if you visit guest services? Any other options?
2) I know it says das advanced selections need to be made 2 days before the trip starts. Anyone have a split stay, found the advanced selections weren’t working for you this trip, and was able to get a ride or time changed after checking in for first reservation, but you haven’t started the second reservation yet? (And it’s more than 2 days out still).
3) For regular Das, you have been able to scan in 5 minutes early… anyone tried scanning in a few minutes before their one hour DAS Advanced window started?

thanks!

Last edited:
1) No specific experience with this, but the CMs doing DAS do have some discretion so could create a new return time that is almost immediate. So it would be best to go to a GET.
2) You would need to make that thru the chat on the app/website at least 2-hrs beforehand. The CMs can’t change the pre-selected options at the desk (or at least I didn’t have any luck and the CMs were pretty clear that they couldn’t help with those (i.e. adding a person).). Also, be aware that there are limited “slots” for DAS on each ride and time. So if you wait, more likely you won’t be able to get the ones you want. I only really ended up using less than 50% of my advance selections. Sometimes I just changed my mind and others I just was happier not rushing over to that area of the park. I think SDD was the only ride I always used the advance selection since it was such a long wait-time.
3) Yes, Grace period of 5 before/15 after works.

Also, be aware that there are limited “slots” for DAS on each ride and time. So if you wait, more likely you won’t be able to get the ones you want.
Clarification to avoid confusion: this applies to DAS Advance Selections that are made in connection with DAS registration with video chat.
There is not limited availability for DAS Return Times obtained in the parks.

I used half of the DAS Advance Selections. One disappeared (Lion King show) and I could use it for anything. Another was too late in the day, but I was able to use the day-of DAS to get it earlier, then cancelled the later one so someone else could use it. I also had no trouble getting day-of DAS times to use throughout the day.

I made our DAS selections yesterday thru chat and was not able to Do slinky dog. One of our selections is also scheduled at the same time as a dining reservation so I need to see if I can change it.

I used half of the DAS Advance Selections. One disappeared (Lion King show) and I could use it for anything. Another was too late in the day, but I was able to use the day-of DAS to get it earlier, then cancelled the later one so someone else could use it. I also had no trouble getting day-of DAS times to use throughout the day.

So you’re confirming, you had lion king and you actually used on a different ride after it disappeared? Thanks!

So you’re confirming, you had lion king and you actually used on a different ride after it disappeared? Thanks!
I think she’s referring to something other people have reported with Lion King - their DAS Advance Selection disappeared and an ‘any time’ attraction pass appeared in its place. Those generally are valid for the day and have limits on what they can be used on.
We got one at Hollywood Studio in November because our wait just at the accessible boarding area for the wheelchair accessible ride car was over 1/2 hour. It could not be used on Slinky Dog Dash, Alien Swirling Saucers or any of the Individual Lightning Lane attractions (Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance)

Some cast members told us that they had to be used within the one hour window; others said anytime from listed time thru the end of day. Checking in a little early worked for us when we tried it last month.

I believe the preselected have to be used in the hour, but the ones that you make when you are in the park do not expire.
DAS Advance Selections are the ones made in connection with doing video chat registration for DAS. Those have a beginning time and a 1 hour window for use. They will show up on your My Disney Experience plans, with the begin and window for use. If they are not used during that window, they expire and just go away.

DAS Return Times are made on the day of visit at the park. They are made inside the My Disney Experience app, by a CM at an attraction OR by a CM at Guest Relations/gGuest Experience blue umbrella.
DAS Return Times have a beginning time, but remain active until used, change/cancelled or until the attraction or park closes for the day.

CMs at the parks really have nothing/very little to do with DAS Advance Selections, so if guests ask about DAS and attractions, the CM will most likely give the answer for DAS Return Times.
This link to a summary of WDW DAS changes should be helpful. The first post has been updated as things change; the rest of the thread is people‘s questions or experience reports.

Some cast members told us that they had to be used within the one hour window; others said anytime from listed time thru the end of day. Checking in a little early worked for us when we tried it last month.
So you actually used a das advanced outside the hour window? I know what the rules are but I also know we had some leeway/pixie dust before so I super appreciate everyone’s comments and actual experiences. Thank you! 😊

I didn't actually use it on a ride or show. We were too tired by that time. I just meant that it stated I could use it. (Further posts said that there was a time limit - that did show up on mine with a 20-minute time span.)

Okay thanks so much! And I get the tired part - trying to get peoples experiences here so we don’t drag our Das holder across a park unnecessarily!

Okay thanks so much! And I get the tired part - trying to get peoples experiences here so we don’t drag our Das holder across a park unnecessarily!
Yes, I understand that! My mom needed a scooter, so I rented one at the beginning of the day and rode it for a while until she arrived. Even with the scooter I was tired. It's a huge park and there were big crowds.

So you actually used a das advanced outside the hour window? I know what the rules are but I also know we had some leeway/pixie dust before so I super appreciate everyone’s comments and actual experiences. Thank you! 😊
Even when told it was expired, they just said to go ahead. But they werent busy, they weren't super popular rides, and there were only two of us.

I made our DAS selections yesterday thru chat and was not able to Do slinky dog. One of our selections is also scheduled at the same time as a dining reservation so I need to see if I can change it.
Was not being able to select SDD because they ran out of slots for it? How soon before your trip did you attempt the DAS selection? I'm wondering about it because it is one of the rides my son insists he MUST do. I'm nervous because he's never been on a rollercoaster, but I'm more nervous about not being to get on it.

Was not being able to select SDD because they ran out of slots for it? How soon before your trip did you attempt the DAS selection? I'm wondering about it because it is one of the rides my son insists he MUST do. I'm nervous because he's never been on a rollercoaster, but I'm more nervous about not being to get on it.
If you can’t get Slinky Dog Dash as a DAS Advance Selection, you will be able to make a DAS Return Time for it in the park on your day of visit.

If you are really not sure about him riding it, you might be better off getting a DAS Return Time for it.
DAS Advance Selections have a 1 hour window of time to use after the start time for entering the attraction. You may not be given many (or even any) choices of the start time. Although some people have reported using it after the 1 hour window had expired, there is no guarantee you would be able to. Officially, they expire and disappear if not used by the end of the window.

DAS Return Times are based on the current Standby wait time. They remain valid until used, cancelled/modified or until the attraction or park closes for the day. So, you can return to the attraction any time after the return time - if he needs time to work himself up to getting into the line, you would have a lot more flexibility.

If you are going to MK before you go to Hollywood Studio, Goofy’s Barnstormer is a good ‘starter’ roller coaster for people who haven’t been on one. It’s still thrilling, but it‘s only about 1 minute long ride. SDD is 3 minutes.
Other differences: Barnstormer is somewhat bumpy, while SDD is a smoother ride.
SDD has loud noises and lights, which Barnstormer doesn’t have.

Good luck and hope he likes it.

In regards to the advance planning return times, how strict are they in regards to who is riding the ride. My dad just registered with DAS and they made their preplanned selections. Unfortunately with our party of 8 we were only allowed 1+5. However, the 5 guests appear to be randomly selected from our party. Will they just see him swipe and have any five people walk in with him, or are they strict that the exact five people listed in the app go with him. I don't see anyway to edit the specific guests for each ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter