• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Just as an fyi, the cast members are getting really persnickety about DAS at the actual rides.

Getting on Mine Train this weekend, I overhead the lightning lane person say: “I’m sick of these people with DAS. I’m not going to let anymore on until the line calms down”

I was approaching to scan for DAS, which made for an awakened moment.
That probably should have been brought to the attention of a supervisor, that's a very discriminating statement for an employee to make. They are not qualified to make that judgement.

And I am certain that Disney does have their own data which is directing the changes they are making. We won’t be privy unless or until it comes out in a court case as it did with the GAC lawsuit.
True. And when you think about their ability to gather data in the last 2-3 years v. their ability to gather it back in 2014 when the GAC lawsuit was initiated, it's grown leaps and bounds. Transitioning the DAS from paper card to electronic really solidified the ability to gather accurate data on DAS usage.

I thought everyone in a DAS party had to tap in right behind the DAS holder?
Correct. The PP is suggesting his party of 5 was immediately followed by a party of 3 G+ but counted as 8 DAS. I don’t know why anyone would assume a DAS party is 8 people because to my knowledge that would take a manual override to select 8 people for a Return Time. 8 may be linked but the Return Time in the app limits to 6.

Correct. The PP is suggesting his party of 5 was immediately followed by a party of 3 G+ but counted as 8 DAS. I don’t know why anyone would assume a DAS party is 8 people because to my knowledge that would take a manual override to select 8 people for a Return Time. 8 may be linked but the Return Time in the app limits to 6.
Got it, I was misunderstanding what the PP was saying, thank you!

How many rides have vehicles that can accommodate more that 4 people as a party?

IASW
Pirates
Tiana's River Adventure-
RotR
Runaway Railway
BTMR (kind of)
TSMM (kind of)
BL Space Ranger Spin (kind of)
Ratatouille?
Grande Fiesta
Frozen (kind of)
Peoplemover (kind of)
Star tours
TofT
FofP
Dinosaur
River Journey
TT
KSafari

These all have 4+ riders in the same row or vehicle

If you think about it, there is quite a lot of rides at Disney that can handle 4+, which is why people go to Disney as a BIG family group, because the rides are set up to that a big family could enjoy together if they chose too. Canada's Wonderland is primarily roller coasters with 2-4 riders in the same cart or row, so it doesn't have many rides like FofP, Pirates, RR that could handle groups of 8+, so naturally it's not as attractive as Disney is for a large family group. I haven't really been to other theme parks outside of Toronto or Orlando, so couldn't chime in how those rides are set up for seating.

They do, but if I scan in myself and 4 other guests, and then 3 other people are literally standing behind "my party (5th person in group)" they could seem like they are in party from a distance
Yes, I understand now...when you said "I've used DAS and had ILL or G+ users directly behind me", I took that literally as directly behind you, not directly behind your party.

My experience over multiple trips per year is similar. It's very rare that we've had other DAS users tapping when we've gone. A majority are actually LL users (as evidenced by the tech issues I've seen lol). Those that I did see using DAS are those that likely would still need DAS under the new rules. I have a hard time believing the 75% figure.
How can you tell? Does the tap in "machine" do something differently when it's a DAS return? I never realized that

I wondered about that. I’m not sure how someone watching could be sure they’re counting actual DAS users unless they’re watching from the CM’s screen.
My guess is that the system itself grabs that data. There's really no need for the inefficiency and mistakes that would come from someone watching

Reactions: AJA
He uses some really fuzzy math in his calculations. He assumes the family size that goes to WDW is between 2-3, for example. Also, if he sells anything based on his data collecting, he should be banned from the parks, right?
I'm not taking a position on his calculations - people just kept asking how numbers were gotten to, so I figured best coming directly from the source.

And I am certain that Disney does have their own data which is directing the changes they are making. We won’t be privy unless or until it comes out in a court case as it did with the GAC lawsuit.
I am sure they do as well. Len has also indicated that sources have indicated to him his numbers aren't far off from theirs.

but as you said, barring a lawsuit, we won't get the official data from Disney.

Next time I’d mention it kindly and directly as soon as it happens once. “Your son poked me.” That’s not acceptable for anyone to do, disability or not. But I hear judgment from you in the “mom should have…”, if that's just an issue of this being a screen and I’m understanding incorrectly, please forgive me. Being on 24/7 with a child/ren with developmental disabilities is exhausting. Give mom the benefit of the doubt that she can’t notice every detail and mention it in a simple, factual, non-snide way ASAP.
Repeatedly poking someone in the rear should be addressed quickly. The other things I would certainly let go!

Also, they were assuming that if 8 people walked up at the same time and the 1st person was a DAS user, that all 8 people were in the same party, I've used DAS and had ILL or G+ users directly behind me, it doesn't mean they were in my party but one could assume they were since they scanned directly after me (if I was a group of 5, that means they theoretically making my group 160% of what it actually is). The whole concept of LT studying the blue light and guests afterwards is entirely skewed based on the concept I provided. The only correct data would be from Disney directly only.
they didn’t decide who was DAS affiliated when they counted. They just counted the total number of bodies that entered the LL and standby queues. Zero attention was paid to the lights.

Also, they were assuming that if 8 people walked up at the same time and the 1st person was a DAS user, that all 8 people were in the same party, I've used DAS and had ILL or G+ users directly behind me, it doesn't mean they were in my party but one could assume they were since they scanned directly after me (if I was a group of 5, that means they theoretically making my group 160% of what it actually is). The whole concept of LT studying the blue light and guests afterwards is entirely skewed based on the concept I provided. The only correct data would be from Disney directly only.
AND, in addition to DAS and LL guests, there are rider swap, anytime passes, and the VIP tours (maybe others I'm not remembering) that use that line... how could anyone not looking at the CM screen know what category of guest is scanning in other than the DAS/blue light first scanner?

EDIT: And I am sure that behind the scenes, Disney's technology is also showing which MB ID is associated with those DAS scan ins, and which are associated with the other categories.

LT's comment about "sources indicated he was not far off" - what source? Disney would probably not confirm or deny if he asked them - not officially anyway, and unless it's officially from Disney, it's just hearsay from an unidentied "source".

Sorry if I'm being obstanant about this, but it has been a hot-button for me for a long time when people start quoting unnamed, (and most likely unoffical), sources, and others take it as "fact" based on perceived credibility of the speaker/poster. I'll stop now...

Last edited:
AND, in addition to DAS and LL guests, there are rider swap, anytime passes, and the VIP tours (maybe others I'm not remembering) that use that line... how could anyone not looking at the CM screen know what category of guest is scanning in other than the DAS/blue light first scanner?
They were counting guests overall.

Reactions: AJA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter