DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

A random question that’s just come to mind that I don’t think I’ve seen discussed before…if we take the sceptical view that this move is partly to increase Genie+ sales (not saying I agree with that), can the CMs on the video call see if you’ve already purchased that?

I by no means think disabled people should have to pay extra to be able to visit the parks and Genie+ doesn’t address many of our issues. Just constantly see the ableist view that we’re all just trying to get free Genie+ so curious to know if that’s something cast members can see.

My guess is they will offer the return to line stating you can both stand in line together and IF a need arises where either of you need to exit the line you can do so, together, then return together after the need is attended to.

This is what I think they will offer people who need to be with someone else but doesn’t ALWAYS have problems (like panic attacks sometimes happen but not always while in line).
Except that for him, with his particular physical issues, ONE line would do him in for the rest of the day. He is unable to stand (or sit in a wheelchair) in a standby queue. I won't go into specifics at the request of moderators, but suffice it to say that by the time we got to the 40 minute mark, he'd be going out on a stretcher, not leaving the line with the option to return later.

A random question that’s just come to mind that I don’t think I’ve seen discussed before…if we take the sceptical view that this move is partly to increase Genie+ sales (not saying I agree with that), can the CMs on the video call see if you’ve already purchased that?

I by no means think disabled people should have to pay extra to be able to visit the parks and Genie+ doesn’t address many of our issues. Just constantly see the ableist view that we’re all just trying to get free Genie+ so curious to know if that’s something cast members can see.

At Disney World assuming you are doing it ahead of time, they cannot see if you've purchased Genie+ already because you cannot buy Genie+ ahead of time, you must buy it the day of. I don't know if you did a same day DAS video call (already at the parks) and already have purchased Genie+ if they could see that.

At Disneyland California, I am pretty sure they can see it if you've purchased tickets with Genie+ included. They need to look at your tickets and park passes to see what days you are going to the park and how long to offer DAS for since it only is activate for the length of your tickets.

I really want to hear from someone who rides the haunted mansion since the change if they no longer tell you to fill in all available space before you enter the mansion. That would seriously be amazing if true. I can keep out of the crowd for this ride everywhere else but this extreme anxiety producing part.
I did it Sunday and they were filling all available space (if you can see the sidewalk you’re not close enough).

From what I’ve seen, in this case the rest of the party would wait at the LL merge point until the person who had left the line and returned through the LL caught up with them.
But where are people to wait? Most merge points have barely room for two people to wait let alone a family or multiple groups.

I did it Sunday and they were filling all available space (if you can see the sidewalk you’re not close enough).

But where are people to wait? Most merge points have barely room for two people to wait let alone a family or multiple groups.
and what if you have multiple familes dealing with this situation at the same time, you going to stash 20 people off to the side at a merge point like HM? that's like half the area before the pre-show rooms

At Disney World assuming you are doing it ahead of time, they cannot see if you've purchased Genie+ already because you cannot buy Genie+ ahead of time, you must buy it the day of. I don't know if you did a same day DAS video call (already at the parks) and already have purchased Genie+ if they could see that.

At Disneyland California, I am pretty sure they can see it if you've purchased tickets with Genie+ included. They need to look at your tickets and park passes to see what days you are going to the park and how long to offer DAS for since it only is activate for the length of your tickets.
Thanks - it was DL I was referring to. Hadn’t been aware WDW was different in that respect.

and if it takes 1 hour??
I think the person who left can go sit, walk around, whatever, then when the rest of their party reaches the merge point with LL they contact that person to come through the LL like and join them. Does that make sense? So the rest of your party has to wait in line but you don’t if you need to leave for a medical reason.

and what if you have multiple familes dealing with this situation at the same time, you going to stash 20 people off to the side at a merge point like HM? that's like half the area before the pre-show rooms
So I asked this question too. On occasion (though not on our upcoming trip), my parents join us. I understand that with the new return to queue guidelines, when I would need to leave the line my child could wait with them. But when I inquired about length of wait, or how they would handle the need to leave the line multiple times, she did not know, and referred me to the CMs at the attraction.

I feel for the CMs - and I truly hope they are better equipped to deal with some of these scenarios - because it is puzzling that the CM doing the DAS interview didn’t have answers to these seemingly obvious questions. It's really comms 101 stuff.

Last edited:
I think it’s all “wait and see”. Maybe they assume a lot of people won’t actually need this accommodation once they try it out. If it begins to be a problem maybe they adjust where people wait? No one can know the answers to any of this yet as it’s just been implemented. As much as it sucks, from someone who has anxiety about the unknown, we really just need to see how it plays out.

So I asked this question too. On occasion (though not on our upcoming trip), my parents join us. I understand that with the new return to queue guidelines, when I would need to leave the line my child could wait with them. But when I inquired about length of wait, or how they would handle the need to leave the line multiple times, she did not know, and referred me to the CMs at the attraction.

I feel for the CMs - and I truly hope they are better equipped to deal with some of these scenarios - because it is truly puzzling that the CM doing the DAS interviews don't have answers to these seemingly obvious questions. It's really comms 101 stuff.
Maybe they don’t want to give a blanket answer about how it will work at every attraction because different attractions could have different processes.

I think it’s all “wait and see”. Maybe they assume a lot of people won’t actually need this accommodation once they try it out. If it begins to be a problem maybe they adjust where people wait? No one can know the answers to any of this yet as it’s just been implemented. As much as it sucks, from someone who has anxiety about the unknown, we really just need to see how it plays out.
I'm really hoping that it's going to be such a massive inconvenience that the fakers will just move on and those who have no choice will need to work w/ the CMs.

and if it takes 1 hour??
Honestly, if it's going to take me an hour to deal with my medical need, I will tell my family to go ahead and ride without me. Then they can grab a snack or whatever until I'm ready. Sometimes I miss out on things, but I don't make the rest of my family miss-out if there is a way for them to enjoy themselves without me. Does it suck? Yeah, but it's life. I can't see asking my family to wait an hour+ for me, especially if they are already in the queue.

I think the person who left can go sit, walk around, whatever, then when the rest of their party reaches the merge point with LL they contact that person to come through the LL like and join them. Does that make sense? So the rest of your party has to wait in line but you don’t if you need to leave for a medical reason.
no not the ride wait time, what it the disability person is dealing with their issue for over an hour, and you have your family/friends waiting at the merge point for an hour at that spot, that doesn't seem like a great solution, and can lead up to congestion issues

no not the ride wait time, what it the disability person is dealing with their issue for over an hour, and you have your family/friends waiting at the merge point for an hour at that spot, that doesn't seem like a great solution, and can lead up to congestion issues
Oh gotcha. I’d probably just tell them to ride without me and talk to the CM. Maybe do like a rider swap situation because they had to ride without you? So you can go back through LL like within someone in your party to ride.

Honestly, if it's going to take me an hour to deal with my medical need, I will tell my family to go ahead and ride without me. Then they can grab a snack or whatever until I'm ready. Sometimes I miss out on things, but I don't make the rest of my family miss-out if there is a way for them to enjoy themselves without me. Does it suck? Yeah, but it's life. I can't see asking my family to wait an hour+ for me, especially if they are already in the queue.
that's my point, usually I never make my family wait more than 5-10 minutes before I say just go on the ride, because then they feel awkward and park employees get unsure what to do, but it just proves all the more that at that point, the park is not "accommodating" that persons disability with the RTQ option

Report from my adult friend who is also autistic:
Denied DAS
Told to practice waiting in lines
Told to work on coping skills
Told panic attacks and anxiety needs to be managed
Told their autism wasn’t “as severe”

That last one makes me very mad as, myself also an autistic person, someone talking to you for a few minutes has no idea how “severe” your autism is..not that’s even a thing anyways. It’s based on levels of support.

I’m glad my trip just ended and we are not renewing our APs and this whole thing has caused me such worry about my own DAS eligibility status. Now with my friend being denied, I have little hope they’d approve me either. Sounds like they are being very exclusive in approving disabled people. In my opinion when they say qualifying developmental disorders, the unsaid part is small children. I think there aren’t many adults they’re going to approve. Which makes me very sad as I love WDW. But now I don’t think I could handle going back without the DAS as an accommodation. Return to line would not work for me as it’s just me and my husband which I need as caregiver. I’ll keep reading reports and hope this changes and Disney reverses course.

Report from my adult friend who is also autistic:
Denied DAS
Told to practice waiting in lines
Told to work on coping skills
Told panic attacks and anxiety needs to be managed
Told their autism wasn’t “as severe”

That last one makes me very mad as, myself also an autistic person, someone talking to you for a few minutes has no idea how “severe” your autism is..not that’s even a thing anyways. It’s based on levels of support.

I’m glad my trip just ended and we are not renewing our APs and this whole thing has caused me such worry about my own DAS eligibility status. Now with my friend being denied, I have little hope they’d approve me either. Sounds like they are being very exclusive in approving disabled people. In my opinion when they say qualifying developmental disorders, the unsaid part is small children. I think there aren’t many adults they’re going to approve. Which makes me very sad as I love WDW. But now I don’t think I could handle going back without the DAS as an accommodation. Return to line would not work for me as it’s just me and my husband which I need as caregiver. I’ll keep reading reports and hope this changes and Disney reverses course.
Ohh my..... wow and now I wonder when will my son age out.... when will they say nope he is old enough now he should have learned by now how to deal with it... he is 7 now... they really need to be more upfront with this...

that's my point, usually I never make my family wait more than 5-10 minutes before I say just go on the ride, because then they feel awkward and park employees get unsure what to do, but it just proves all the more that at that point, the park is not "accommodating" that persons disability with the RTQ option
The bolded is your assumption, and may depend on how long you are unavailable plus what you/your family want to do next. You very likely would be allowed to Return to the Queue and ride once you are ready even if your family has already completed their ride. Since we have zero data points on this in practice yet, you can't really say you wouldn't be accommodated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter