DAS changes starting June 18

Lisa24jks

DIS Veteran
Lots of information in this thread:

Looks like DAS will only be for guests with developmental disabilities (autism, etc.) from June 18th at DLR and onward. They will also start a "return to queue" program for guests that may need to leave the queue and return, but details on that will be announced later.

(So, once again, guests abusing a program have likely ruined it for some others. Congrats everyone. You did it.)

This is really scary for how this could look for my husband. He’s on of the ones that does use DAS for a physical disability. And gets approved everytime

He is a double leg amputee and walks on prosthetics. Walking is good, standing in one spot is bad. A wheelchair or scooter are NOT an option for him as being confined to either causes anxiety and PTSD from when we lost his legs and COULDN’T walk.

This is really scary for how this could look for my husband. He’s on of the ones that does use DAS for a physical disability. And gets approved everytime

He is a double leg amputee and walks on prosthetics. Walking is good, standing in one spot is bad. A wheelchair or scooter are NOT an option for him as being confined to either causes anxiety and PTSD from when we lost his legs and COULDN’T walk.

I'm so sorry. This is why this whole thing sucks. I get wanting to cut down on the people who have abused the system, but they're being awfully shortsighted by limiting it to developmental disabilities only.

My mom has been battling Stage 4 cancer for over 4 years now and has been utilizing DAS for the past year due to all the side effects that come with a cancer battle. While it will definitely make it harder to navigate future visits without DAS, I know it will be much much much worse for others.

My daughter is an amputee too (fighting stage 4 cancer), and I got into a lengthy discussion about this issue here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/prosthesis-and-das.3943328/

But I don't see what is changing from the post and can't find anything. According to others, it is already Disney's policy to force amputees to use a wheelchair and wait in line instead of getting a DAS. So it doesn't sound like this is anything new???

My daughter is an amputee too (fighting stage 4 cancer), and I got into a lengthy discussion about this issue here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/prosthesis-and-das.3943328/

But I don't see what is changing from the post and can't find anything. According to others, it is already Disney's policy to force amputees to use a wheelchair and wait in line instead of getting a DAS. So it doesn't sound like this is anything new???

Not exactly. If your mobility issues can be helped by a wheelchair/scooter/mobility device, they will not approve DAS. (i.e. I broke my leg last year and rented a scooter, but would not have qualified for DAS because that was my only issue).

However, if you have other extenuating circumstances such as @maleficent55's husband does that a mobility device cannot help and makes it difficult to wait in lines, they would previously approve DAS. My mother uses a mobility device, but she also has anemia which can cause fainting/dizziness and digestive problems due to her cancer. They approved her for DAS for those issues, not for mobility issues.

The new policy would tell guests to use a mobility device, but also take part in whatever this "return to queue" business is going to be if they have other health issues. (I guess leaving the queue if you need to and getting a pass that allows you back into the queue where you left off? Or if you have family staying in line you can re-join them? We'll see how that pans out.)

So medical conditions like IBS wont be included?

Thats going to hurt, I have a friend who uses it for that and it will really make things difficult

I know they will let you leave the line but some people really can't hold it and.....yeah not going to be fun for certain people. Sorry to those affected and hope Disney will find a way to meet in the middle

Also if you go solo, how the heck will rejoining the line work?

Not exactly. If your mobility issues can be helped by a wheelchair/scooter/mobility device, they will not approve DAS. (i.e. I broke my leg last year and rented a scooter, but would not have qualified for DAS because that was my only issue).

However, if you have other extenuating circumstances such as @maleficent55's husband does that a mobility device cannot help and makes it difficult to wait in lines, they would previously approve DAS. My mother uses a mobility device, but she also has anemia which can cause fainting/dizziness and digestive problems due to her cancer. They approved her for DAS for those issues, not for mobility issues.

The new policy would tell guests to use a mobility device, but also take part in whatever this "return to queue" business is going to be if they have other health issues. (I guess leaving the queue if you need to and getting a pass that allows you back into the queue where you left off? Or if you have family staying in line you can re-join them? We'll see how that pans out.)

That's beyond frustrating. There is zero chance that a return to the queue system will actually work well. When the need will arise is unpredictable for many issues, and what are those people going to to, reverse out of narrow lines in their mobility device? Or yell to get a cast members attention? It's just not a real solution for some physical disabilities. The better option would be to better screen for disabilities, including requiring medical certification. If the ADA needs to be amended to allow that in this situation, then lobby for that. But making it harder for every type of physical disability isn't the solution. Not all will be fixed by putting someone in a wheelchair and saying you can leave the line if needed.

That's beyond frustrating. There is zero chance that a return to the queue system will actually work well. When the need will arise is unpredictable for many issues, and what are those people going to to, reverse out of narrow lines in their mobility device? Or yell to get a cast members attention? It's just not a real solution for some physical disabilities. The better option would be to better screen for disabilities, including requiring medical certification. If the ADA needs to be amended to allow that in this situation, then lobby for that. But making it harder for every type of physical disability isn't the solution. Not all will be fixed by putting someone in a wheelchair and saying you can leave the line if needed.
I think, Disney wont let this happen but they could also Re do the program.

Just make it where you can pre book things, make it where the return time is the exact amount of time for said ride or longer based on how many others in the program are trying to get on it

To me....while i think some are abusing it. It kinda seems like they are pushing people to buy Genie Plus.

Once again no doubt there is abuse but funny they will see you a way to skip lines and its making buckets of money and now this free service is being veryyyyy limited

So medical conditions like IBS wont be included?

Thats going to hurt, I have a friend who uses it for that and it will really make things difficult

I know they will let you leave the line but some people really can't hold it and.....yeah not going to be fun for certain people. Sorry to those affected and hope Disney will find a way to meet in the middle

Also if you go solo, how the heck will rejoining the line work?
Yep. I have Crohn's disease, fairly significant (prior surgeries, etc). My big fear with the "return to queue" pass is that we'll need to find an attractions CM to have it be issued, wait in a line, etc. When you gotta go...you gotta go. Waiting to speak to a CM in the moment would potentially be...not great. (You can fill in the details.)

I'll withhold full judgement until I see the details on the return to queue access, but I hope they have thought this part through.

In this case your husband would get DAS for PTSD not for being an amputee no? I would hope disabilities like PTSD would still qualify for DAS since they are still mental disabilities, not physical ones.

Yep. I have Crohn's disease, fairly significant (prior surgeries, etc). My big fear with the "return to queue" pass is that we'll need to find an attractions CM to have it be issued, wait in a line, etc. When you gotta go...you gotta go. Waiting to speak to a CM in the moment would potentially be...not great. (You can fill in the details.)

I'll withhold full judgement until I see the details on the return to queue access, but I hope they have thought this part through.

This is exactly the type of disability this new policy isn't being realistic about. Why is autism being elevated as somehow needing a DAS above all else? It honestly feels like Disney is scared to face the backlash from the autistic community, but less scared of those in other disability groups. It smells of dividing those with disabilities, instead of recognizing each disability is different and should be individually assessed. After all, I don't see why it would be any more mean to tell an autistic kid to stand in line and "just leave if necessary" as to tell someone with crohns that it's too bad they may not be able to leave a line in time to make it to the restroom. Both individuals need a better accommodation than that.

I think, Disney wont let this happen but they could also Re do the program.

Just make it where you can pre book things, make it where the return time is the exact amount of time for said ride or longer based on how many others in the program are trying to get on it

To me....while i think some are abusing it. It kinda seems like they are pushing people to buy Genie Plus.

Once again no doubt there is abuse but funny they will see you a way to skip lines and its making buckets of money and now this free service is being veryyyyy limited

I don't think most DAS users would have any issue with just getting a return time that is consistent with how long they would wait in line. It's the waiting in line (and even leaving and coming back under the new system) that simply won't work for many types of disabilities.

In this case your husband would get DAS for PTSD not for being an amputee no? I would hope disabilities like PTSD would still qualify for DAS since they are still mental disabilities, not physical ones.

I am not sure it's that clear. On the website Disney is saying it has to be a "developmental disability." That wouldn't include PTSD if the are actually going to follow that.

I am not sure it's that clear. On the website Disney is saying it has to be a "developmental disability." That wouldn't include PTSD if the are actually going to follow that.
Im really not sure but he can’t use a wheelchair in public and doesn’t anywhere

Disney has faced lawsuits in the past and will almost certainly do so here too. They must know that and have decided selling more Genie+ tickets wins in the cost benefit analysis. Under the ADA, the accommodation they provide must provide reasonable access. The guest doesn't get to choose the accommodation, but it must actually work. If they actually only allow DAS for developmental disabilities, they will be refusing reasonable accommodations to many other disabilities, and I think they will finally lose one of these cases. Hopefully, they aren't being literal when they say that and they will still actually do a case-by-case analysis, as required by the ADA. They can't just have a categorical rule if it doesn't provide reasonable access unless the cost of compliance is too high. With Disney's revenue, the cost of compliance being too high is an extremely high bar for Disney to prove, and saying we were forced to sell less Genie+ passes, almost certainly wouldn't be a sufficient basis to deny access to some guests.

Last edited:
Im really not sure but he can’t use a wheelchair in public and doesn’t anywhere

He should be accommodated. I hope Disney really isn't as strict as they claim they will be on the website.

I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter is in the same boat once she gets her prosthesis and can walk again. She already serious anxiety about being at home too much after being stuck there and in a hospital for nearly a year during her cancer treatment and inability to walk. I don't yet know how she will respond to Disney telling her she must use a wheelchair again, even though she can walk.

Either way, I hope your husband gets the accommodation he needs to have full access to the park experience.

Last edited:
That's beyond frustrating. There is zero chance that a return to the queue system will actually work well. When the need will arise is unpredictable for many issues, and what are those people going to to, reverse out of narrow lines in their mobility device? Or yell to get a cast members attention? It's just not a real solution for some physical disabilities. The better option would be to better screen for disabilities, including requiring medical certification.
That would be a good start. I wonder, though, whether word would get around about doctors who are willing to issue such certifications on demand, just like those companies that provide fake service animal certifications.

That would be a good start. I wonder, though, whether word would get around about doctors who are willing to issue such certifications on demand, just like those companies that provide fake service animal certifications.

That would be a huge problem. There are many doctors who issue a med cert saying whatever the patient wants. But I do think it would cut down on some percentage of abuse due to the cost and time it takes to go to a doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter