DAS pass for child with pica?

Ms Me

Earning My Ears
Hi,
If it weren’t for Covid, I wouldn’t be asking.

I have a daughter who (because she is only 4) doesn’t have a cognitive disability diagnosis as of this point. She does have an IEP for school and has a neurologist. She is probably going to be diagnosed with a very mild sensory processing disorder. It is no where near bad enough for me to think that she’s disabled (regardless of what her doctors or IEP says)

All that being said, she has Pica (compulsive need to eat, mouth, bite, and chew things that are not food). The pica is probably the most severe part of what’s up with her. It kicks in when her other senses have already assessed the world around her. (In other words, when she’s bored)

Regardless of masks, she will lick (very sneakily - she’s smart and very tuned in to people watching her) everything new around her. If she can’t lick it, she will run her fingers over things and then put them in her mouth. When restrained from this for too long, she will have screaming fits. She is trying to explore and experience the world around her. She just does that with her mouth a lot of the time. (At least I don’t have a picky eater)

I am well aware of how gross this is (doubly so with Covid). We went when she was 2; she was much smaller, and easier to control.

My question is this - can she use a DAS pass? I know there is some sort of screening. I can bring all of the paperwork. It would help if she were not in a line long enough to be bored. I wouldn’t be as worried with interactive queues (that was a huge positive last time), but they are nonexistent at this point.
On another note, her screaming will partially deafen those around, and I feel like getting the pass (while emotionally upsetting and draining for me) will actually be for the benefit of others. (Most people don’t want to listen to her or place their hands where she’s been gnawing).

so I guess my question is -should I ask at guest services about the pass? Is it for more severe issues?

Does anyone out there have a kid like this and what do you do? With masks, she can’t have her normal chewie things. Gum would be a nightmare.
Thanks in advance. This is my first post and I’m hoping someone can make me feel less upset, nervous, and guilty about this whole thing

DAS is for people whose disability prevents them from waiting in the regular lines.
It is requested at Guest Relations at one of the 4 Theme Parks. They don’t want or need diagnosis and won‘t look at paperwork.
What you need to be prepared to discuss is what concerns you about waiting in line - what happens or might happen that causes her to not be able to wait in line?

Another option is to ask to use a stroller as a wheelchair. That allows a stroller to be brought into lines, buildings and attractions where strollers are otherwise not allowed. Having the stroller in line gives kids a ‘safe haven’ that can help prevent overload, helps ‘contain’ some kids and have access to some things like fidget toys to keep busy.
The ‘stroller as wheelchair’ tag is obtained from Guest Relations. It is separate from DAS; some people with the stroller tag are also using DAS and some only need the stroller tag.

The accommodation provided by DAS is ability to wait outside of the lines. Guests still wait, but most of the wait is outside of the line. When coming back to go on the attraction, there will still be a wait, but it will usually be 10-15 minutes or less.

This thread has information about DAS - don’t bother looking past the first post (the rest of the thread is comments and questions from before and just after DAS began).
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
The other concerns is mask use. Is she going to leave the mask on, worn correctly. WDW is currently being very careful about mask use. If she can’t keep it on, you will be warned and asked to leave if she won’t leave it on after warning.

Hi,

I'm not nearly as experienced as others on this board, who will likely reply soon with more detailed information. But, I wanted to reach out because you asked if anyone else has a kid like yours, and I do. She is also 4, has global developmental delay and likely sensory processing disorder. She screams when overwhelmed. She also explores everything with her mouth, although less so now that she's getting older. With masks, her biggest problem is she licks them and pushes them with her tongue. I have found that the Crayola brand masks hold up best for this.

In your situation, I think a DAS could potentially be appropriate. Guest services will base it on whether it is difficult for her to wait in line - you describe why it is difficult, not provide the diagnosis. I took my daughter to WDW for her 3rd birthday, before Covid. I was prepared to request a DAS if needed, but in my case the lines provided enough stimulation that she was fine. However, she also didn't have to wear a mask, and thanks to strategic fast passes, we never waited in a long line. Neither of those situations exist now! I understand feeling nervous, but don't feel guilty! You are doing your research ahead of time and trying to be prepared.

I also was prepared to request a stroller as a wheelchair tag, although in the end we didn't need it either and never asked for it. Depending on whether being in the stroller helps your daughter, this might be something to think about too.

Could you bring something for her to chew on? Gummy bears, oral sensory toys etc? I know they would be hard to manage with a mask, but you could take mask breaks in the designated areas.

I agree with the suggestion above to ask for a stroller as a wheelchair option. Then you can keep her occupied in the stroller and she'll have less access to things around you.

Also, if you haven't already tried them, there are a lot of chewelry options that might help give her something to explore when bored. They have many different types of material and shapes and optiosn to wear as necklaces or bracelets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter