DAS Report for HS 2/22/22

DisRoss

Earning My Ears
I’ve found so much great info on how DAS works from these boards, that I wanted to share how our DAS day went at Hollywood Studios on 2/22/22 (a day when park reservations were sold out). TLDR: we had a great day, even with our plans having to shift multiple times during the day! No park hopper, no G+, no $ILL. DAS rider was not interested in the roller coasters or ToT.

First I concur with other DAS reporters and say while having the pass made things easier, I’d trade it in a heartbeat to not have the need for it in the first place. I’d much prefer the full health of our DAS rider.

We did advanced video DAS registration. I’ll skip the part about the frustrations of doing that (which, while not a breeze, wasn’t as bad as some reports I’ve read, and was completely worth it). We walked in with advanced returns for MFSR and TSM

The app worked great! The DAS tile showed up just as we tapped in at 7:40, well before the official start to Early Theme Park Entry at 8:30. We could only have booked shows at that point. Ride returns became available as soon as ETPE standby waits appeared in the app, about 30 seconds after 8:30, which seems to be typical, rather than G+ beginning at 7 on the dot.

You DON’T have to go to the tile exclusively to get DAS return times. You can got to the map to see wait times, tap a ride to have its name pop up, then tap it again for more info and you can request a DAS return from there.You can also get DAS returns from the Tip Board, also tapping the ride for more info.

Cancelling DAS returns is a breeze (we did this often as the winds change for the day). The only annoying part was that sometimes the DAS return wasn’t showing up in My Day, and you actually have to tap into the details of the return to find the icon to cancel. This was more of a nuisance than an actual problem as I always was able to poke around and eventually find it. I wish I could say how, but I don’t remember if there was any rhyme or reason to it.

Make sure ALL members of the riding party clear the DAS reservation at the tap points. On one ride, one of my kids didn’t clear properly and I couldn’t book him for the next ride. Luckily we were still at the tap point and I had him tap in again. Then I could book the next return for our whole riding party.

Not only will DAS returns stay active when you leave the park, you can make DAS returns while OUTSIDE of the park. We had come back to the hotel for a break. Changed plans for our timing and preferences for going back, and I was able to cancel the current DAS return we had and book a new one from our room.

I don’t think I was on WIFI at all while at the park and had no problems anywhere outside with cellular when trying to book something. However, my nightmare scenario totally occurred this morning with dropped service. I was hoping to get a DAS return for RotR as soon as possible, before standby spiked, so it would coincide with our MFSR Advanced DAS. We rope dropped Toy Story Mania, and had about 20 people ahead of us. At 8:28 they started letting us in, so I’m already worried about fiddling with my phone on the ride. THEN I discover there’s barely any signal in the queue! NO!!! I got back online briefly, enough to see RotR was down anyway, and booked MMRR instead. Best thing that ever happened to us! Not being tied down to a lengthy DAS return gave us a lot of flexibility for the first half of the day, and our DAS rider who initially wanted to go on RotR changed their mind about it eventually anyway.

If you’re going to see Indy’s Stunt Show, don’t bother getting a return. Book something else with a long wait and get to the theatre early for standby instead. We got an Indy DAS return for the 1:15 show, got there about 1:05, and it was already standing room only, even with the pass. That was a non starter for us. Cancelled the DAS return, did some other stuff, and got a new return for the 3:15. We were nearby and saw they were opening standby about 40 min before showtime, so we went over to tap in. We could have easily just done standby to get good seats and enjoy 40 minutes of sitting in shade with giant ceiling fans to keep us cool.

Similarly with Muppets 3D, we got a DAS return time because it was on our way to something, but just as easily could have done standby.

If you have back problems, think twice about MFSR. That ride changed the course of our day. Much more jarring than we expected. Lots of fun, as well as lots of sudden shaking and bouncing in hard plastic seats.

Lastly a philosophical thought: Remember that this provides a level of flexibility to take care of your loved ones. Don’t fall into the trap of always thinking ahead to what’s next. It’s convenient to book the next DAS right after tapping in, but most rides are only a few minutes and you don’t lose anything by breathing and checking in on your group to see how things are going before figuring out the next move.

Happy touring everyone!

Hi. I have a question about your RotR DAS. It sounds as though you were trying to book it through the app from somewhere else in the park? Do you not have to still go to the entrance of RotR to get a DAS since it is a $ILL ride?

The I$LL rides are still available for day-of DAS, either through the app or at a blue umbrella or at the attraction entrance. It just isn't an option for the 2 DAS Advanced Selections.

I’ve found so much great info on how DAS works from these boards, that I wanted to share how our DAS day went at Hollywood Studios on 2/22/22 (a day when park reservations were sold out). TLDR: we had a great day, even with our plans having to shift multiple times during the day! No park hopper, no G+, no $ILL. DAS rider was not interested in the roller coasters or ToT.

First I concur with other DAS reporters and say while having the pass made things easier, I’d trade it in a heartbeat to not have the need for it in the first place. I’d much prefer the full health of our DAS rider.

We did advanced video DAS registration. I’ll skip the part about the frustrations of doing that (which, while not a breeze, wasn’t as bad as some reports I’ve read, and was completely worth it). We walked in with advanced returns for MFSR and TSM

The app worked great! The DAS tile showed up just as we tapped in at 7:40, well before the official start to Early Theme Park Entry at 8:30. We could only have booked shows at that point. Ride returns became available as soon as ETPE standby waits appeared in the app, about 30 seconds after 8:30, which seems to be typical, rather than G+ beginning at 7 on the dot.

You DON’T have to go to the tile exclusively to get DAS return times. You can got to the map to see wait times, tap a ride to have its name pop up, then tap it again for more info and you can request a DAS return from there.You can also get DAS returns from the Tip Board, also tapping the ride for more info.

Cancelling DAS returns is a breeze (we did this often as the winds change for the day). The only annoying part was that sometimes the DAS return wasn’t showing up in My Day, and you actually have to tap into the details of the return to find the icon to cancel. This was more of a nuisance than an actual problem as I always was able to poke around and eventually find it. I wish I could say how, but I don’t remember if there was any rhyme or reason to it.

Make sure ALL members of the riding party clear the DAS reservation at the tap points. On one ride, one of my kids didn’t clear properly and I couldn’t book him for the next ride. Luckily we were still at the tap point and I had him tap in again. Then I could book the next return for our whole riding party.

Not only will DAS returns stay active when you leave the park, you can make DAS returns while OUTSIDE of the park. We had come back to the hotel for a break. Changed plans for our timing and preferences for going back, and I was able to cancel the current DAS return we had and book a new one from our room.

I don’t think I was on WIFI at all while at the park and had no problems anywhere outside with cellular when trying to book something. However, my nightmare scenario totally occurred this morning with dropped service. I was hoping to get a DAS return for RotR as soon as possible, before standby spiked, so it would coincide with our MFSR Advanced DAS. We rope dropped Toy Story Mania, and had about 20 people ahead of us. At 8:28 they started letting us in, so I’m already worried about fiddling with my phone on the ride. THEN I discover there’s barely any signal in the queue! NO!!! I got back online briefly, enough to see RotR was down anyway, and booked MMRR instead. Best thing that ever happened to us! Not being tied down to a lengthy DAS return gave us a lot of flexibility for the first half of the day, and our DAS rider who initially wanted to go on RotR changed their mind about it eventually anyway.

If you’re going to see Indy’s Stunt Show, don’t bother getting a return. Book something else with a long wait and get to the theatre early for standby instead. We got an Indy DAS return for the 1:15 show, got there about 1:05, and it was already standing room only, even with the pass. That was a non starter for us. Cancelled the DAS return, did some other stuff, and got a new return for the 3:15. We were nearby and saw they were opening standby about 40 min before showtime, so we went over to tap in. We could have easily just done standby to get good seats and enjoy 40 minutes of sitting in shade with giant ceiling fans to keep us cool.

Similarly with Muppets 3D, we got a DAS return time because it was on our way to something, but just as easily could have done standby.

If you have back problems, think twice about MFSR. That ride changed the course of our day. Much more jarring than we expected. Lots of fun, as well as lots of sudden shaking and bouncing in hard plastic seats.

Lastly a philosophical thought: Remember that this provides a level of flexibility to take care of your loved ones. Don’t fall into the trap of always thinking ahead to what’s next. It’s convenient to book the next DAS right after tapping in, but most rides are only a few minutes and you don’t lose anything by breathing and checking in on your group to see how things are going before figuring out the next move.

Happy touring everyone!
Thank you for the advice to not waste a DAS on the shows. Did you have big gaps of down time between attractions? What did you do during that time?

We had this happen a couple of times as well. The first time we went back to get assistance from a CM to clear it, but the next time it happened, we had already ridden and were on to something else. When I noticed it was still there, I discovered I could just cancel their DAS reservation easily and then they were available again for me to rebook. No need to find a CM to assist.

As for clearing the tap point, you can cancel the reservation from the app, even if hust one person wasnt cleared (happened to us due to technical issues on Dis eys end a couple of times) just be sure to wait until after the final tap point to do so.

Interesting about being able to cancel on the app. I have had a few DAS not clear at Disneyland and I have searched all over to try to cancel them, but not been able to find anything to cancel. Wonder if that option is hidden somewhere on the DL app too. I have just gone to the GS umbrellas and they were able to clear. Says it happens more than you imagine. Just happened at Space Mountain this past weekend and I noticed so I had the CM re-scan our code on the phones, but it still did not clear.

Interesting about being able to cancel on the app. I have had a few DAS not clear at Disneyland and I have searched all over to try to cancel them, but not been able to find anything to cancel. Wonder if that option is hidden somewhere on the DL app too. I have just gone to the GS umbrellas and they were able to clear. Says it happens more than you imagine. Just happened at Space Mountain this past weekend and I noticed so I had the CM re-scan our code on the phones, but it still did not clear.
The apps for the two are very different though too

Hi. I have a question about your RotR DAS. It sounds as though you were trying to book it through the app from somewhere else in the park? Do you not have to still go to the entrance of RotR to get a DAS since it is a $ILL ride?
Correct! As long as the DAS rider has entered the park (and the rest of your riding party too) you can book DAS from the app anywhere in (or out) of the park. No need to go to the front of the ride anymore.

Correct! As long as the DAS rider has entered the park (and the rest of your riding party too) you can book DAS from the app anywhere in (or out) of the park. No need to go to the front of the ride anymore.
Right. I thought I had heard that this was not the case for paid lightning lane rides, though. Glad to hear we can book those ones on the app as well...

Thank you for the advice to not waste a DAS on the shows. Did you have big gaps of down time between attractions? What did you do during that time?
We had some degree of down time, but it was often welcome, and we mixed in some shorter things. At one point we came off a ride and had two hours before the window for our second advanced DAS (TSM), but we just needed a break. I booked a DAS return for AS2 and we figured out lunch. By the time we finished eating, we could take a leisurely walk back to Toy Story Land and ride AS2 right before the TSM window opened. During another break we booked Red Carpet Dreams to take pictures with M&M and had the most refreshing Root Beer Floats from Epic Eats we’d ever had while we waited for that return to come around! It was a very hot day!

We were at WDW starting Feb 9 and many of the CMs didn't know about it. It sounded like it was a brand new feature., so it is possible that it has been added since you last went.

Great report! Thank you for taking the time and being so detailed. We are going during Spring Break Easter Week and your report will help us on those busy days. Thank you!

We were also there that day! And yes it was HOT! I'm going to jump on here and give our experience since it was on the same day, but from a slightly different perspective of a non-resort guest.

We were staying at Universal, so not able to enter until 9am. We arrived at 7:45am and were in the first 100ish people in the non-property guest line. This was HARD for my teens. They kept squishing us in and squishing us in. But the people around us were so very very kind and made room for our wheelchair and for my son to move about and pace a bit which helped.

I think we tapped into the park around 9:10am. By 9:15am the DAS tile had not loaded on the MDE. We found a Blue Umbrella, along with another DAS-mom and they helped us log out and back in to resolve the issue. I guess there's about a dozen different reasons the tile doesn't show up after tapping into the park, but that is the first thing to try.

We booked Star Tours with a 25 minutes wait and browsed the main shops while waiting. Arrived at the ride entrance just as one of the cavalcades was passing by so we got a front spot viewing, which was awesome for our wheelchair user who is always blocked from seeing everything. And that's pretty much how our whole day went. We'd book a ride, casually browse shops along our way there, have a rest in the shade for a snack, snaps some photos, ride, repeat. We had some glitches where rides went down (RoTR, ToT, RnR) that got converted into ride any time return times. We had a couple of those stacked along with a regular return when we met up with some friends from home. We needed some help from the Blue Umbrella to link our profiles so we could all ride together after we used our current returns (we have 3 DAS users in our family so between them we didn't exceed the DAS + 5). They had been there all week and ridden everything, just happy to get to hang with us for a couple of hours. We got some major Pixie Dust from the CM who not only linked our 4 friends, but added our newcomers to the return times we already had waiting. It was after 5pm and none were ILLs with current times more than 60 minutes. We didn't ask for it or anything. Just realized it when we went to ride RnR! In all, we finished 8 rides plus 2 shows, and a Savi's reservation between 9am and 7:30pm with lots of downtime to relax and enjoy the day! We took the Skyliner to our friends resort and Uber'd back to Universal.

Positives: We are a family of 5, DH has the main MDE account with the 3 teenagers on his account. I have my own account that is linked to DH's account. The 3 teenagers all have DAS. We were able to book return times for all 5 of us under one of the teens names. We did not need to book separately for each DAS holder. Booking on the app without going to the ride = AMAZING!! Literally saved us hours over the two days at Disney. We also did the video registration (we had an unusually easy experience - no tomatoes!!) and got our preferred picks including SDD (seriously, no tomatoes) which made the day go super smoothly.

Downside: The biggest issue we had was not having MagicBands. We had problems using DH's phone to tap in the correct order using one MDE. DH had 4 tickets on his MDE and I had mine. We had to use his phone with MDE open to the ticket of the DAS user, and tap multiple times until it accepted it (UGH!!). Then flip to another ticket, tap, flip, tap, flip, tap. So many times it would not take one or two of us and I'd be sitting on a ride trying to cancel the return time so I could book the next ride. I didn't figure out until 1/2 way through our 2nd day you can make the DAS holder you're booking under the "primary" card in your Apple Wallet!!!! And bam, no more problems. Finally got his Apple watch to work, tap x4, worked every time.

Downside: The biggest issue we had was not having MagicBands. We had problems using DH's phone to tap in the correct order using one MDE. DH had 4 tickets on his MDE and I had mine. We had to use his phone with MDE open to the ticket of the DAS user, and tap multiple times until it accepted it (UGH!!). Then flip to another ticket, tap, flip, tap, flip, tap. So many times it would not take one or two of us and I'd be sitting on a ride trying to cancel the return time so I could book the next ride. I didn't figure out until 1/2 way through our 2nd day you can make the DAS holder you're booking under the "primary" card in your Apple Wallet!!!! And bam, no more problems. Finally got his Apple watch to work, tap x4, worked every time.

Ugh, that sounds stressful! I'd rather pay for magic bands (or have physical tix) than deal with blocking the entrance trying to get digital tix to clear. I'd feel the weight of the other people behind us (even if they were all pleasant!) wanting to get in. I guess that's why I get a DAS though, as the press of people really gets to me :)

Ugh, that sounds stressful! I'd rather pay for magic bands (or have physical tix) than deal with blocking the entrance trying to get digital tix to clear. I'd feel the weight of the other people behind us (even if they were all pleasant!) wanting to get in. I guess that's why I get a DAS though, as the press of people really gets to me :)
OP here…Definitely understand that perspective. Can say tho it was rare that there was anyone right behind us as we were tapping in for rides. The entry point for LL/DAS are not nearly as busy as what I’ve heard FP+ was like (never was at the parks during that era). At HS that day, I don’t think the LL was ever more than 2 families deep for anything we went on, however I can’t speak to the experience at the coasters, ToT or RotR.

Honestly it was more the CMs that made us nervous. They were visibly frustrated with us that we "didn't have return times but were trying to access the LL" upon the first tap attempt. It was the same conversation at every ride, "we're trying". It made DH extra frustrated. And when there were 2 tap points at the entrance they would ask us to use both lanes, but we only had one device. They seemed frustrated with guests who didn't each have their own MagicBands or devices. The process of using phones with one MDE doesn't seem to work as easily as Disney may have anticipated. I wish we could have transferred the tickets to the teens Apple Wallets at least, but you can't do that. If/when we return, we will at minimum ask for physical tix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter