• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Day Trip - how long drive

Generally no more than 3 hours one-way, which is roughly the time it takes to get to NYC. Even then, we're apt to stay overnight,

You know the beach in Santa Cruz is...well...really freaking cold, both in the water and on land?

The Giant Dipper roller coaster is worth a 12 hour drive. :)

Our longest is 3.5 hours. That's how far we live from NYC. I wouldn't want to do much more than that. We are tired after walking the city all day and then the long car ride home.

We did a day trip to Dallas a year and a half ago - its almost 4 hours each way - that was a really long day. Do-able but not the top of I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Under 3 would be ideal.
DH and I went on a bat emergence adventure last weekend - it was a 2 hour drive, we left at 2 in the afternoon - had a nice dinner, wandered thru a beautiful park and saw the bats - we were home by midnight. This was ideal travel time to do something unusual or off the beaten path. Another hour of driving would have been OK but 4 is really long.

We moved to Northern California from Southern California when I was 12. The first time we went to the coast, a few months after we moved, I was thinking BEACH like I was used to. NOPE! NorCal Beaches are very different from SoCal Beaches. I like to say in NorCal you go to the Coast, in SoCal you go to the Beach.

We moved form Ca (40 minutes from Santa Cruz) to the WA coast and that is nothing like the beaches back home in CA!!!! Cold and rough! Now we're in TN and landlocked. I need a beach trip.

The longest I'd drive for a day trip is probably 4 hours each way. We did it all the time in CA. In WA it was 1.5 each way to visit a real mall and Costco, so 4 hours each way isn't the end of the world. Recently we drove 3 hours each way to Nashville to drop my parents off at the airport, visited a museum, then drove home. Had other activities on the agenda but DH wasn't feeling that great so we headed home.

Could probably pull off 5 - 6 hours each way if it was a "must attend" family event that didn't take too long, assuming we had to make a showing for a couple hours and really didn't want to get a hotel.

Years ago, I'd leave at 5 in the morning, drive to Cedar Pointe for opening, stay till close, then get home at 2 the following morning. All well within 24 hours. I think park hours were 9 am - 10 pm or so. 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive.

Once left after work at 5 pm and drove 3 1/2 hours each way to pick up a piece of furniture. It was a piece in inventory of a shop in another city, but was not longer available for order as it was discontinued.

Regarding the question as misread standard - 23 hours driving one way with the burden shared. 14 hours one way, solo are personal bests.

I live about 2+ hours from anywhere I would want to day trip to. So depending on what I was going to be doing and if it was time sensitive, my limit would be better 2.5 hours to 5 hours. The 5 hours was JUST driving somewhere and driving back, making little stops along the way.

Update:

My trip is tomorrow and I did end up getting a hotel. It was not money I wanted to spend but since I ended up having to go to Berkeley the next day (Friday) for work it just made more sense than driving 3.5 hours home to turn around and drive 2 hours back the next day.

If we go more than 60 miles, I am getting a hotel. I am a car wimp.

Dh, about 15 years ago, did a 16 hour day...drove to Kansas City, picked up Grandma for Easter,drove right back. It's about 8 hours each way with stops.

Longest that we've done is around 4.5 - 5 hours. We were dropping DBF's mom off for a cruise, but we made a day trip put of it too. Usually we try to keep it under 3 hours. 4 hours tops.

Dh, about 15 years ago, did a 16 hour day...drove to Kansas City, picked up Grandma for Easter,drove right back. It's about 8 hours each way with stops.

If I was in a car for nearly 16 hours straight, I think I would cry. Your DH is a brave man.

Probably 3-4. Really it depends on what I'm doing there. If it's an active trip then less driving time because I don't want to be exhausted for a long drive home.

Definitely a good point! We've driven longer to attend a memorial service for a family member (not close enough that we were too upset to drive home safely - a "pay respects" type thing) than for a day at an amusement park, where you are already exhausted by the time you start driving home.

5 hours is pretty close to our max.

We regularly drive 2 hours, just for a doctor's appointment.

But if we are driving 5 hours, we leave very early. It isn't out of the question for us to leave at 4 or 5 in the morning.

We leave for Disney at 4:30, for a 7 hour drive.

Longest that we've done is around 4.5 - 5 hours. We were dropping DBF's mom off for a cruise, but we made a day trip put of it too. Usually we try to keep it under 3 hours. 4 hours tops.

If I was in a car for nearly 16 hours straight, I think I would cry. Your DH is a brave man.

I totally agree. I can't handle much more than 2. We drive to my brothers about 3 hours away and we stop twice - bathroom and a creamery.

Going to my BFF's 2 hours a way next week and we will stop on the way, too. I get so restless, and I absolutely HATE being in a car - so confining.

Shoot, I used to drive 56 miles to work every day LOL

Shoot, I used to drive 56 miles to work every day LOL

Nope.

We go 7 and it is almost too much. Moved closer to work almost 10 years ago - we were about 12 miles and it took forrrrrrever. I do not have patience to just be sitting in a car ;)

2.5-3 hours each way it my Max. DD8 had a swim meet 2.5 hours away. On the road just before 5:30am, arrived just before 8am, she swam her races didn't make finals so we left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter