Day trip to Miami / Fort Lauderdale?

MichelinMan

I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!
We've been watching Burn Notice on Disney+, which is set in Miami, and my son's eye has been caught by the beachfront locations and buildings of the city. So it got us wondering whether it would be worth a day trip down to Miami to visit the area. I've looked at the mileage, and it is just about doable, but would be a long day. Fort Lauderdale also looks nice, and is a bit closer.

Has anybody done a day trip down to that area, and if so, was it worth it? What are the best areas to head towards? And what is the drive down like - is the drive very interesting, or are there any interesting stopping points en-route?

We've been watching Burn Notice on Disney+, which is set in Miami, and my son's eye has been caught by the beachfront locations and buildings of the city. So it got us wondering whether it would be worth a day trip down to Miami to visit the area. I've looked at the mileage, and it is just about doable, but would be a long day. Fort Lauderdale also looks nice, and is a bit closer.

Has anybody done a day trip down to that area, and if so, was it worth it? What are the best areas to head towards? And what is the drive down like - is the drive very interesting, or are there any interesting stopping points en-route?
It’s a pretty long drive, and you have to plan for gridlock on the causeway to Miami Beach. I’d plan on at least 4.5 hours.

(Burn Notice filmed all over the city but most of the familiar beach scenes are south beach)

And it’s tourist central - rip-off restaurants, obnoxious tourists, loud, bar after bar after bar. And crowded, gridlock traffic.

But if your goal is just to see Collins Ave and the hotels featured on the show, and the beach itself (it is really remarkable) it could be fun as an overnight trip. All that said, I love Miami Beach (and Burn Notice). But it’s not for everyone.

It's an hour's flight and doesn't look hugely expensive, but maybe once you factor in getting to / from the airports it may not be any quicker than train or driving.

We have been down from Orlando to Miami for a couple of Dolphins games, 1 we drove there and back same day the other we stayed over night.

Its a fair drive and boring, we stopped off on the way back the 2nd time its an easy drive on the turnpike. We live in Lancashire and its about the same distance from Lancashire to London as it is Orlando to Miami. Think around 3.5 / 4 hrs on a decent run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter