DCL Ground Transportation

Peaseblossom36

Mouseketeer
Is the ground transportation really $45 one way? That seems insane when the only perk is not needing a PAT?

Well, "perk" or benefits may be subjective depending on what's important to you.

DCL Transfers from a WDW resort or the Hyatt MCO will also handle your luggage from your room and the next time you see it is onboard at your stateroom. Transfers may arrive earlier than other modes of transportation, with no PAT needed. Many find it convenient to book directly with DCL and not have to worry about anything else.

DCL Transfers from MCO don't have the same level of "perk" in that you must bring your luggage to the bus but it is then delivered to the porters and you see it again onboard at your stateroom. You do still need to select a PAT. Again, though, many find it convenient.

But there are definitely less expensive ways to get to/from the port.

We're taking our second cruise with DCL next month. We had our own vehicle for our first cruise. This time, we won't have a vehicle so we're taking Disney transportation from WDW. As you mentioned, it's pricey, but I'm hoping it'll make things a little more smooth. We'll find out if it's worth it or not.

Well, "perk" or benefits may be subjective depending on what's important to you.

DCL Transfers from a WDW resort or the Hyatt MCO will also handle your luggage from your room and the next time you see it is onboard at your stateroom. Transfers may arrive earlier than other modes of transportation, with no PAT needed. Many find it convenient to book directly with DCL and not have to worry about anything else.

DCL Transfers from MCO don't have the same level of "perk" in that you must bring your luggage to the bus but it is then delivered to the porters and you see it again onboard at your stateroom. You do still need to select a PAT. Again, though, many find it convenient.

But there are definitely less expensive ways to get to/from the port.
That’s fair. The luggage part is a pretty big perk from the resorts, the phone CM only mentioned not needing a PAT. It seems like she was giving me a mix of details from both resort and MCO shuttles.

I haven’t cruised since 2019 and my party was 2 people vs the 5 it is now so the price tag for transportation (from MCO to resort, resort to port and back to MCO) this go around is giving me some sticker shock 😅

Another perk is that if you're on DCL transportation, DCL 'knows' where you are. If the bus breaks down or you hit a traffic jam, DCL knows one of their buses is running late and can hold the ship to allow you to board even if you're running late, or make accommodations to get you to the next port if they can't hold the ship, etc. For some, that peace of mind is valuable.

If you do other private transport, rental car, etc., you're on your own. If you get delayed and miss the all aboard time, then you miss the cruise.

I think 4 people is where looking elsewhere starts to make sense, depending on your group's makeup.

But I think even with a private service, once I added in 5 point restraints, it was about the same amount of money?

I think 4 people is where looking elsewhere starts to make sense, depending on your group's makeup.

But I think even with a private service, once I added in 5 point restraints, it was about the same amount of money?
It looks like it is either very slightly less or about the same with 5 people. Our group is 4 adults and 1 child, we are two different state rooms though which is where the not needing a PAT is plus be nice.

I don’t like that there is no car seat on the bus, we used the Mears shuttle for our WDW trip last year and our first driver was awful - bad enough I sent an email after our trip. I was actually considering renting a car for the cost but would need to bring a car seat for that.

Considering the number of families who simply automatically book the DCL bus, Disney isn't overcharging (and might be undercharging, in fact). Demand is there, and that's why the price went up 15% recently.

It's definitely NOT a value...unless you are just a couple. Families are definitely paying more ... especially when they book a Disney resort before/after the cruise with no park plans instead of other accommodations.

I hope its ok to the OP to ask this but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for private transfer from Port Canaveral back to MCO airport?
I'm looking into this also.

I've heard good things about Cast and Crew Transportation and We Drive You Fly for getting to WDW resorts, so would love to hear if anyone has used them for cruise transfers.

Updating because we used the service today from MCO and BLT.

Nothing but rave reviews. I received a text this morning with our driver’s name and information and a photo of the car he would pick us up in. Before our flight landed I had a text that our driver was 4 minutes away and where he would pick us up, and a selfie so we knew his face. He communicated with me every second from the time we reached baggage claim to the time we were loaded in the car. He did not want any help loading our bags despite our numerous offers.

Car was brand new, and spotless. There was a tablet with trivia games strapped to the headrest for backseat passengers. We were offered a choice of music/ playlists or if we wanted to set up our own devices. Air conditioning was on full blast.

Our Publix Instacart pickup was a fiasco and our driver was gracious and pleasant about it, and assured me I didn’t need to worry.

Our driver flagged down a Bell Services CM when we arrived at BLT and helped unload our bags (again refusing our help). He was really wonderful- very kind and cheerful and I’m looking forward to seeing him again for our pickup on Sunday.

ETA: in our reservation I specified that the car seat we needed was a booster and the car arrived with what appeared to be a brand new booster seat for my son (the kind with a back- not just the “slab” type).
^ is from the Transportation Forum on Disboards. Review is from a thread about You Fly We Drive. August 2023.

Their Google reviews rating is 5 stars (211 reviews).

They are not members of BBB, but have an A- rating. No complaints filed.

Began operation Nov 2022.
I'm looking into this also.

I've heard good things about Cast and Crew Transportation and We Drive You Fly for getting to WDW resorts, so would love to hear if anyone has used them for cruise transfers.

Another perk is that if you're on DCL transportation, DCL 'knows' where you are. If the bus breaks down or you hit a traffic jam, DCL knows one of their buses is running late and can hold the ship to allow you to board even if you're running late, or make accommodations to get you to the next port if they can't hold the ship, etc. For some, that peace of mind is valuable.

If you do other private transport, rental car, etc., you're on your own. If you get delayed and miss the all aboard time, then you miss the cruise.
this is why we always arrive before noon in a rentalt to port canaveral.. we do our water/wine shoppiing there and hang out at walmart etc...I am paranoid there is a major highway closure ( though this will also affect DCL buses)

Unless they changed things. the other benefit of the DCL bus is there is no limit on luggage. We have rented a car before but other times DCL as with our family of 5 plus 7 large suitcases plus carry-on a normal rental or service would have been not possible or cost just as much

I don’t usually count the thing I’m paying for as the perk 🤷‍♀️
Understood, but you have to get to the port somehow, and for us, it's the ease and reliability - booking, luggage handling, communication of when and where to be (basically hand holding). Peace of mind and simplicity for us is worth the cost. I actually don't like the early PAT so for us it's not a perk, but I'm willing to put up with that.

I hope its ok to the OP to ask this but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for private transfer from Port Canaveral back to MCO airport?
I use Gear Fusion for private transportation in Orlando. Very fairly priced and always had a good experience.

this is why we always arrive before noon in a rentalt to port canaveral.. we do our water/wine shoppiing there and hang out at walmart etc...I am paranoid there is a major highway closure ( though this will also affect DCL buses)
Staying the night before in Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach instead of on the west side of Orlando (Disney World/Universal) the night before the cruise solves those highway concerns, especially when you aren't taking advantage of the parks.

Understood, but you have to get to the port somehow, and for us, it's the ease and reliability - booking, luggage handling, communication of when and where to be (basically hand holding). Peace of mind and simplicity for us is worth the cost. I actually don't like the early PAT so for us it's not a perk, but I'm willing to put up with that.
It’s not so much the early part as the not needing to worry about our two parties having different times that I think is nice, we’re cruising with grandparents who haven’t really traveled since 2004.

I think my plan right now is a car service from MCO to our WDW resort, DCL shuttle to port and then car service from port back to MCO. If I didn’t have to worry about a car seat, we would just rent a car.

Maybe I’ll see if my BIL who lives in Orlando wants to drive us 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter