DDP Causing Some Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this had made it this far. The DDP is here to stay. The OP is definatly not understanding how it works. If you don't like it then I suggest #1. DO not add it on to your package, or #2 don't buy it, #3. Take yourself on over to all the counter service establishments in the park that way you never have to complain about ADR'S. #4. Leave everyone alone who enjoys it. #5. I can't believe you'd think they will take it away. Let me inform you of something, This DDP has been around in some shape or form since I was 14 years old back in 1993 when we purchased as a family the plan that included the DDP! It isn't going away, they have now just made it more affordable for everyone to enjoy. #6. Time to let it go, your stating your opinion, and from the looks of it everyone is pretty burnt out on your lack of knowledge of the DDP. Time to let it go. And move on and complain about something else, like the lines, or the heat, or the cost of those precious misterfans. Let's debate something worth debating huh?

I'm not gonna bother saying my opinion on this subject. But i do want to say that the poster above me needs some stinking manners. You would think a 27 or 28 year old would have better control of themselves. Calling people stupid is a personal assault and I thought that was against the TOS here. Mods?? Maybe I am wrong; but don't catch yourself calling too many people stupid.

and

Let's debate something worth debating huh?
Who put you in charge of deciding what's worth debating and what's not?

edited to add:Apparently the above poster has gone in and edited the part of her post where she outright called the OP stupid 2 or 3 times. So, my post is moot now. But I'm glad the language was changed. Thanx.

I'm hoping the DDP isn't and issue for my family. I think a lot of people have problems with it because they haven't fully researched it--same with the Magical Express. Sometimes it pays to research them a lot before going to WDW. As for the DDP, I haven't experienced it but my family has printed out every website on it, we have printed almost every menu to make our choices, and are planning on making reservations this week for our trip in May. I belive if you plan enough ahead and read about all the problems, hopefully it wont be a problem. I hope this helps..menus are found at allears.net

That's what we did. We printed the list of participating restraunts, and their menu's and went from there. I do believe you have to have a good understanding of how it works, otherwise it will confuse you. I had to save every reciept to prove there was an actual savings. But my DH eats like no other, and he eats 3 meals (FULL) meals a day and at least 2 snacks. (I can't figure out why he stays so thin) But it was more than worth it for me to have the DDP since he would have cost me an arm and a leg paying it in cash. My perfect reasoning above we managed to go thru $900 and something dollars in like 4 days when paying in cash. He does eat the entire meal including appetizers, meal, and dessert. And he always orders the most expensive things on the menu. This is why DDP payed off for us.

I've been to WDW numerous times and the first time we tried a "dining plan" was the "food and fun" card about 12 years ago. What a deal that was!!!

We've been down plenty of times since and have made use of a dining plan just a couple of times. Every time we've gone, we've always booked ADR's for restaurants. Eating at a TS restaurant every night has always been normal for us. It's a way of getting our whole family together to relax and discuss what they did all day. AND, we've always booked Priority Seating, ADR's or whatever they want to call them at the beginning of the timeframe alotted (90 days or 180 days).

We used the DDP on our last trip (last fall) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, we probably ate a little more at dinner (dessert was usually skipped previously) but it didn't change the restaurants that we've always used in the past. The one nice thing that I like about the DDP is that I'm paying for most of my food up front in my package. Then by the time I get to WDW, I don't have to worry about the budget.

Whether or not the DDP saves money is questionable depending on your family size & eating habits. For example, we have booked the DDP this year (same as last) but this time our oldest child is no longer a child in DW eyes...therefore, we are paying adult prices for an eleven year old. That means that for my family of four, at all TS meals we will be eating three adult appitizers, three adult entrees, three adult desserts & my nine year old will have the kids meal...of course, we are not totally heartless, we will share some of our food with him as well...mostly the veggies!! Seriously though, this is too much food for us in all likelihood & will be costing us about $1200 for ten days.

Why than do we get it? Because, we have plans to see a dinner show, eat some great steak, eat inside what looks like a huge acquiruim (sp?), taste African, Mediterranean, Polyensian, Mexican, Moroccon & Japanese food all within ten days!! If we had to pay out of pocket...well, let's just say that it would not be happening!

There is something really freeing about going to these places, six months after I've booked them, & eating anything on the menu my heart desires! I'm on holiday & I want as little worries as possible...with my holiday completely paid (including food) prior to arrival, there really is not much to worry about!

:thumbsup2 I'm in total agreement with this poster!

This is us exactly (except for the dinner show -- we couldn't get ressies).

The DDP makes for a stress-free and fun holiday. For my girls, the parks are the most fun. Hubby on the other hand, is completely looking forward to the meals!

I'm not 100% convinced that the DDP is entirely to blame for the restaurant capacity issues you complain of. If you haven't noticed, WDW attendance in general is growing rapidly. The more people at the parks and resorts, the more mouths to feed in general. WDW has spent an enormous amount of resources in the past two years advertising their affordability and I think it's paying off for them in large numbers...more and more people are staying on property, and yes, much of that is due to the DDP. The DDP may be a good deal for those who use it, but remember, it's also a REALLY good deal for WDW because it tends to keep people tethered to WDW property...partnered with Magic Express, Disney has made it easy to spend all your money on property. They're not offering the DDP out of the kindness of their hearts.

The DDP may be a good deal for those who use it, but remember, it's also a REALLY good deal for WDW because it tends to keep people tethered to WDW property...partnered with Magic Express, Disney has made it easy to spend all your money on property.

You hit the nail on the head !!!! Everything has a business reason. They are filling Disney hotels and keeping guests on Disney property...... with their money.

The food is higher to begin with, so even on the plan they are making money....especially when you consider how many credits go unused. Factor in the full hotels, folks spending more money because they don't leave the property, and when you are not forking out constant cash to eat.........it is easier to spend on other more frivolous things.

They have spent a considerable amount creating the software in their computer systems to handle the plan.......I think they finally got a good system going.....and I doubt it is going anywhere. If we want sit down, we need to plan ahead or just be patient and keep trying. Tables open up all the time, right up until the last minute.

You hit the nail on the head !!!! Everything has a business reason. They are filling Disney hotels and keeping guests on Disney property...... with their money.

The food is higher to begin with, so even on the plan they are making money....especially when you consider how many credits go unused. Factor in the full hotels, folks spending more money because they don't leave the property, and when you are not forking out constant cash to eat.........it is easier to spend on other more frivolous things.

They have spent a considerable amount creating the software in their computer systems to handle the plan.......I think they finally got a good system going.....and I doubt it is going anywhere. If we want sit down, we need to plan ahead or just be patient and keep trying. Tables open up all the time, right up until the last minute.
I don't agree. Even before DDP and magical express we still flew to WDW and did everything on property. The magical express and the DDP just helps make the trip a more enjoyable one. For those of us that fly into the Orlando airport the fact that we don't have to rent a car (but can if we chose too) and get to eat in really great resturants is nice. As far as renting a car goes Disney has already taken car of the parking fees by giving us free parking. They think of everything. Enjoy!

don't agree. Even before DDP and magical express we still flew to WDW and did everything on property.

But not everyone did and that's why Disney is trying to make it easier and more affordable for families to do this. Let's face it it's cheaper to stay on 192 and eat at Shoneys and all the other buffets every day then it is to buy a Disney package. Not to mention you could get a house with a pool and kitchen for the same price one generally pays for a week at a Value Resort.

I don't see the DDP going anywhere any time soon. It's a win win situation for Disney and those that choose to enjoy it. I personally like knowing all my meals are paid for and all I have to do is show up. I like the all inclusiveness of stying on Disney property and using DDP IF I ddn't I would stay off site for a heck of alot less.

I would be curious to know how many people have altered their usual touring habits due to the addition of DDP & Magical Express. I'm sure the change is dramatic, during free dining. IMHO, that's not a true indication of the program's success. We all like free food. ;) I'd be curious to know how many of those who used to venture off property to eat or shop purchase the dining plan, & no longer leave property for that reason.

We only live an hour away, so obviously we drive. It doesn't matter, if we're staying at WDW or UO, we park our vehicle & don't return to it until it's time to go home. We've always stayed on property & never veered from there. On the other hand, I have a sister & niece who stay on property, but leave often for shopping, etc. in Orlando. One flies, & the other drives to WDW. In our case, none of the 3 families have changed our touring routine in the least due to DDP or ME.

I would be curious to know how many people have altered their usual touring habits due to the addition of DDP & Magical Express. I'm sure the change is dramatic, during free dining. IMHO, that's not a true indication of the program's success. We all like free food. ;) I'd be curious to know how many of those who used to venture off property to eat or shop purchase the dining plan, & no longer leave property for that reason.

We have always been an OFF-property family. My father owns a time share and we always did the off site, go in for a few days at parks, maybe a couple meals, type trip. We did this when I was young with my dad and my stepmom (many times), and even with my son (he went to DW twice before he was 4 years old - off site). Now, my mother and my stepfather took us a couple times on site when I was young - but we still always rented a car and ate offsite most of the time.

In January, my dh and two kids did the whole onsite thing - ME, no car, DDP - and we enjoyed it. We will do it again (dh and I are going in Sept. ourselves for our anniversary trip), and I am probably going to take my dad and stepmom with our kids in Jan 2008. I can't wait for them to see the whole "onsite" experience.

So, in our case, WDW did exactly what they intended to - they made us on-siters - when we were very decidedly off-siters for the last 20 years.

Will we ALWAYS stay onsite? No, probably not. But, if they keep doing good deals, we will likely stay on-site.

ETA - we have never done free dining - we paid for the DDP.

We most certainly have converted to on-property-ers and about a dozen other families that I know of in my circle of neighbors/friends have as well. Your point is a very interesting one. I will honestly say that the combo of the DDP and Magic Express for our last three trips have kept us on property. I don't need to rent a car (I travel enough on business, so car rentals are more of a headache than a necessity to me), and with all my meals paid for ahead of time, I have no reason to leave. We've done Universal and we don't prefer it...so WDW definitely has us hooked right now. I don't buy the dining plan for the savings (although it is an added bonus - we even got it free on our last trip!), I buy it for the benefit of the "all-inclusive" aspect. I'm done paying before I leave and all we have to think about is souvenir money. Just my preference. Everyone's different. I tend to think that Disney has a good thing going right now with the DDP, Magic Express, the new ticket pricing (cheaper for those that don't hop), and various package deals. In my circle of friends, folks always complained that it's NEVER a good deal to buy a WDW vacation package...Disney is working hard to change that and I think they're succeeding. Thus, more people staying on property and filling up the restaurants. It's inevitable.

I know some plan every minute detail of their trip and book ADR 180 days in advance, but I don't plan meals. This used to be just fine b/c if I felt like a sit-down dinner/lunch I could just stop by the place while at the park and request a time - can't do that now. But I've also found that even CS is way over packed. It seems like I'm waiting in food lines longer then ride lines. Another part of that, is that you get so much food with the DDP that wait takes forever for that reason, too.

As for ME, I used to think the wait for the Mears took awhile before ME. It is just so much longer now. I kinda find that annoying, too.

Will either deter me from Disney - of course, not! It's a great family vacation destination and I love it.

One interesting thing to me is the cumulative effect of the various ways Disney and Universal try to keep their customers on-site.

I'd like to visit Universal some time, but it seems foolish to do that without the front of the line access you get by staying on-site.

Yet I don't want to stay at Universal. I just want to spend a day or so there, taking in the high points of the two parks.

So, I end up staying at Disney.

I wonder how many people do the same, as well as how many people do the reverse (staying at Universal and not venturing onto Disney property at all).

I agree with OP and I want to take it a step further!

Why do we let people into Walt Disney World in the first place? I mean, if we are the only people in the parks, there would be no lines, no wait, and we can do anything we want to at any time. Isn't that the World suppose to be for - me, me, me and me?

It's just ridiculous that Disney set the prices for the park tickets, resort rooms and such within the grasp of the lowly mortals, and on top of that, giving out discounts like water. It's just stupid on Disney's part, inconvenienting us more important people.

I say raise the price of the tickets to at least $200 or more, take away all the discounts, and not let anyone younger than 25 into the parks. It will make the whole Walt Disney World experience so much more enjoyable.

GET RID OF DDP! GET RID OF CHEAP TICKETS! GET RID OF DISCOUNTS!

Disney, please let us enjoy the parks as Walt intended, for people like us.

yawn. you can take the person out of trail's end, but can't take the trail's end out of the person.....:rolleyes:

We have used DDP 3 times now, and feel it's worth it - if that's what you want. We have two more trips planned this year, and we'll buy the DDP for only one. Why? Because in July we expect it to be packed (first summer trip) and don't want to fight the crowds just to eat. Also, we are DVC members and plan to utilize our kitchen a bit more. In the summer, we don't usually eat as much, so it may not be worth the money spent. We will probably do a few TS dinners, but we decided to try out the spontaneous approach and see what happens. DH prefers that, but likes the savings and no-hassle of the DDP (don't have to carry cash or groan over the bill). On our Christmas trip, we will buy the DDP because we know it'll be worth it to do some special dinners then.

DH's theory - Disney is learning from the cruise industry: people love the all-inclusiveness of a cruise, esp. the food. So why not make that an option: let guests pay ahead of time. Then the spending on souvenirs, special experiences, etc. will go up because guests don't feel like they've spent all their money on food!

Another thing we liked about DDP: when travelling with more budget-conscious family members, dining became a non-issue. My parents would NEVER have agreed to eat at all the places we ate with them (or they would have split meals, not that there's anything wrong with this) without the DDP. It was great to get to see them try lots of foods and enjoy themselves without worrying over the bill.

NO WAY can we eat all the food, but I love being able to sample different appetizers and desserts with the DDP. I love watching my kids try new things too, even on the kids' menu.

One more thing: while we can afford to join DVC and come to DW several times a year, many people we know save up for one big trip every few years at best (whether money is the issue or just priority). Most of them come during the summer. So when we are there this summer, we won't eat at the most popular places. Not because we don't enjoy them or can't afford them - would I give up my table at Chef Mickey's (or name your own TS) for a family that's never been and may not have another trip while their kids are young? Absolutely! I am not trying to sound like a saint, but I do want every family to have a magical time at Disney. I know I will be back and have the chance to do all the wonderful things I love. I don't have to do them every time.

I wonder how many people do the same, as well as how many people do the reverse (staying at Universal and not venturing onto Disney property at all).

We actually prefer Universal. The onsite perks are unbeatable. :teeth: To answer your question. No, we don't go to WDW, while staying at UO. We don't do the reverse either. It just makes more sense to us to stay on property at the parks we're visiting.

We have used DDP 3 times now, and feel it's worth it - if that's what you want. We have two more trips planned this year, and we'll buy the DDP for only one. Why? Because in July we expect it to be packed (first summer trip) and don't want to fight the crowds just to eat. Also, we are DVC members and plan to utilize our kitchen a bit more. In the summer, we don't usually eat as much, so it may not be worth the money spent. We will probably do a few TS dinners, but we decided to try out the spontaneous approach and see what happens. DH prefers that, but likes the savings and no-hassle of the DDP (don't have to carry cash or groan over the bill). On our Christmas trip, we will buy the DDP because we know it'll be worth it to do some special dinners then.

DH's theory - Disney is learning from the cruise industry: people love the all-inclusiveness of a cruise, esp. the food. So why not make that an option: let guests pay ahead of time. Then the spending on souvenirs, special experiences, etc. will go up because guests don't feel like they've spent all their money on food!

Another thing we liked about DDP: when travelling with more budget-conscious family members, dining became a non-issue. My parents would NEVER have agreed to eat at all the places we ate with them (or they would have split meals, not that there's anything wrong with this) without the DDP. It was great to get to see them try lots of foods and enjoy themselves without worrying over the bill.

NO WAY can we eat all the food, but I love being able to sample different appetizers and desserts with the DDP. I love watching my kids try new things too, even on the kids' menu.

One more thing: while we can afford to join DVC and come to DW several times a year, many people we know save up for one big trip every few years at best (whether money is the issue or just priority). Most of them come during the summer. So when we are there this summer, we won't eat at the most popular places. Not because we don't enjoy them or can't afford them - would I give up my table at Chef Mickey's (or name your own TS) for a family that's never been and may not have another trip while their kids are young? Absolutely! I am not trying to sound like a saint, but I do want every family to have a magical time at Disney. I know I will be back and have the chance to do all the wonderful things I love. I don't have to do them every time.
Another issue cruise food has gone down the tubes 100% since cruising has become so affordable. The same thing is happenimg at WDW with this DDP, people love it because of the amount of food not the quality. All the food is becoming very "vanilla". People are eating not dining......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter