Deaf Kids

noritake1

I sell Disney in my jammies!
Hi I was ondering since they have changed the GAC cards. does anyone out there know what is covered for Kids who are deaf thanks in advance Jillpirate: princess: princess: princess: princess: princess:

What type of GAC would be needed for a deaf child? You just ask for the reflective captioning at the venue. No GAC needed for that. Get to shows early for seating near the front or if they sign and the show is interpreted sit in the designated area. I have a GAC only because of multiple needs that sometimes conflict. (wheelchairs in the back but need RC which is in the front)

when we were there last June, we did get a GAC card, it did state on it that they needed to be seated near the front, I was just wondering that since they have changed the GAC cards what did they ones for deaf people have on them. I have called Disney and they still do offer it. Being Deaf can be a hidden disability to some people, so it is nice to have the card.

I also don't feel that because my children are deaf I should have to be forced to show up for a show way ahead of other people. If that's the case they should just get rid of the GAC all together and all people with diabilities should come early. One disability is no worse than another.

Arriving early has nothing to do with the disability. anyone who wants to have their choice of prime seating will have an easier time the earlier they show up.
ASL interpretation is on a set schedule, so if you're utilizing that service, you will be limited to certain days and performance times.
No one is forcing anything, but yes, people can be very different and different situations can have very different solutions. The point of the GAC is to provide appropriate assistance, not to give priority.

As Lisa said, at attractions that offer reflective captioning (indicated by an "RC" on the guidemap) all you have to do is ask a cast member upon entering that attraction. Guest Relations offers handheld captioning devices as well as video closed captioning remote controls, Assisted Listening Devices, and ASL interpretation schedules for guests who are deaf or hard of hearing.

For shows, are the seats with the best view of reflective captioning kept open for the deaf, (as in, no one sits there unless they are deaf - with the family of course) or do people just file in all at once? I think that if you would like to get the best seats for the captioning, you'd want to get there ASAP, and let the CMs know your needs, so that those seats would be held for you.

Iam not asking for priority. I already know about all the services that they provide for the deaf. I didn't think that my question would trigger such a response. I have already spoke with the experts at Disney and I have my answers, thank you anyway

Noritake you don't need to take such an attitude about it. Some of us have been doing this for years and Safari Steve is a castmember and knows of what he speaks. As for the experts at Disney, unless you spoke with Mark Jones or someone working directly with him you haven't really spoken to the experts! He is the best.
Also I can tell you at shows for Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast where they allow people to enter fairly early, once the seat is occupied unless it is in a reserved area, like the area set aside for those using the interpreting, they will not ask guests to move to accommodate you. You will be asked to wait for the next show. Just because we have handicaps doesn't mean we shouldn't be proactive and try to get to shows early so we know we can have our needs accommodated without inconveniencing others. That just makes good sense. I normally try if possible to be at a show at least 1/2 hour early to be sure I can get a seat that is neat the front and get the RC set up. At least Disney has geat accommodations. You should of seen the lousy accommodation at the Space Center for the RC at the IMAX theatre. To the side and they don't give you a way to get it set up prior to the start. You miss the first part of the show trying to set up the captioning screen so you can see the captions.
People get to shows early if the want seats that have the best views.
Smeck if you request the reflective captioning, normally they will usually take you in the handicapped entrance of the show and take you to yopur seat. Sometimes you do have to remind them that you need the reflective captioning but most of the time it is fine.

I have spoken with Mark Jones and Maureen.I know I have to get to shows early just as I would if I didn't have a disability and I just wanted a good seat. I don't have an attitude, but I don't see how people think some disbilities out shine another.All I did was ask if the GAc was the same. and you said I don't need on because of the deafness.

Well you honestly don't need it solely because of deafness. And if you think I am talking as one who doen't know deafness you are wrong. I am hard of hearing myself as well as an interpreter. The deaf world is my life literally. The reason I have a GAC is because I also have mobility problems and use a power wheelchair. Castmembers see the chair and immediately respond to that issue and don't see the other issue. They immediately want to accommodate the wheelchair but sometimes say they cannot accommodate the hearing issue as well which isn't true. Since I can transfer to a seat that is indicated on the GAC and it saves a lot of explaining at each ride and show. If the problem was only hearing I would not need to use a GAC at all. As long as I have the schedule and get to shows early and inform castmembers of my hearing problem I don't have problems. It is the wheelchair that complicates things. Same for my 2 friends, one who is deaf-blind and the other deaf and uses a wheelchair. It is the additional problems that cause issues.
Btw I don't see my hearing loss as a disability but a language issue. And the hearing loss is not what my children will tell is my disability. They will tell you it is my mobility problems and the fact that I lose my balance easily and fall flat on my face especially if I am fatigued.

Does anyone have experience with the FM units at shows? My youngest DD6 has just been diagnosed with mild/moderate hearing loss. We are currently in the process of staffing her in for an FM unit for her classroom in the fall (its just too late for this year, unfortunately). We would like to try the FM units at shows, but (obviously) have no experience. I am sure we don't need a GAC card, but how do the FM units work? Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter