DEATH ON FREEFALL AT ICON PARK

I really dislike "fair" type rides that are not associated with a reputable theme park/amusement park. I always worry that they are not a well maintained or staff isn't as well trained.

Same here, I've always been a bit of a helicopter mom about fair rides.

What a horrible, horrible tragedy. Just makes me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine what his parents are going through.

Yea it's the chair reaching the top that suddenly "leans" you forward I was surprised at. Although that's probably the selling point making it "scarier" than similar attractions.

Seems insane not to have a safety strap at 450 feet up, with all of your weight pushing to go through the restraint.

Gravity has one goal.

I see. I thought another post said that his was the only one that wasn't. I know it would be hard for them to tell his exact weight if they don't use a scale, but there is usually a height scale. Horrible tragedy.

It appeared that the light beneath his seat wasn't on.

Yea it's the chair reaching the top that suddenly "leans" you forward I was surprised at. Although that's probably the selling point making it "scarier" than similar attractions.

Seems insane not to have a safety strap at 450 feet up, with all of your weight pushing to go through the restraint.

Gravity has one goal.

My understanding is that the harness holds you in, but when you tip forward your weight is now pressing against the harness at your shoulders and chest. There is a gap between that and the seat, which is problematic. The harness must have to be very tight on anyone for that to work. This kid though did not fit into the seat and the harness didn't come down very far over his shoulders, so the gap was large. He actually didn't fall when it tipped forward but after the drop started to decelerate. It was like smacking a can to get the contents out - his inertia made him keep going and he slipped right through. It's unimaginable that this scenario wasn't considered when this ride was designed!

Last edited:
Definitely. There's no shortage of this type of ride but this was the first I've heard that leans forward, and the park probably wanted it because it's something new and different.

My understanding is that the harness holds you in, but when you tip forward your weight is now pressing against the harness at your shoulders and chest. There is a gap between that and the seat, which is problematic. The harness must have to be very tight on anyone for that to work. This kid though did not fit into the seat and the harness didn't come down very far over his shoulders, so the gap was large. He actually didn't fall when it tipped forward but after the drop started to decellerate. It was smacking a can to get the contents out - his inertia made him keep going and he slipped right through. It's unimaginable that this scenario wasn't considered when this ride was designed!

Yep I get that stop was the final break away for him, I simply meant why would anyone make a ride that tips ahead at 450 not have a strap, much less one that falls and suddenly stops on the way down, causing even more pressure.

Yep I get that stop was the final break away for him, I simply meant why would anyone make a ride that tips ahead at 450 not have a strap, much less one that falls and suddenly stops on the way down, causing even more pressure.

It really is unbelievable isn't it? Considering all of the engineers and inspectors that need to review these things, how could somethign like this be missed? If it were a matter of there being a maximum lenght of the gap between the restraint and the seat, why did the ride begin a cycle or why was the indicator light on (hearing various reports on that). I said before that I've ridden similar rides there the harness must lock into the seat - no gap. It could at least have a belt that locks in, even if it is redundnat and has no tension unless the harness were to fail. It is mind-blowing really that this happened!

Many are saying the videos showed one underseat light dark, and that was his seat. Wasn't the case, there was already an inoperative seat on the ride. The light under the seat doesn't indicate harness engagement. It's just for show. They didn't have them on in the daytime. Apparently there is a light that shows engagement of the harness, although it isn't beneath the seat.

The harness was on and locked, the kid was too big for it to hold him in when the ride started braking and it took his full weight at speed. The seat was tilted at one point, but I'm not sure if it tilts when it is braking, which is when he came out of the seat. There wasn't a failsafe or secondary restraint to help hold him in.

The ride's operation manual puts the maximum weight for passengers at 286 lbs, he weighed 320-340. There weren't any weight limits posted, it was up to the operators to determine if the passenger's weight was over the limit. There wasn't any failsafe restraint on the ride (many rides of this type have a secondary restraint), just the shoulder harness, so it was all on the operators to screen the passengers. Apparently the boy was turned away from two other rides that night due to his size, but was allowed on this one.

Last edited:
Falcons Fury in Bush Gardens tilts forward to almost 90 degrees.

Wow! Looking at that though there appears to be a strap between the legs connecting the harness ot the seat - that's good! I'll be honest though, there's no way I'd ride it!

Gravity has one goal.
I agree, it's so crazy to me that there are not multiple restraints in place on a ride like this. I cannot imagine the pain his family is feeling.

My heart breaks for that boy's family, what a horrible tragedy for them to have to endure.
So many things could have prevented his death, starting with the ride harness design and ending with the operator who should have told him he was too large to safely ride.

Many are saying the videos showed one underseat light dark, and that was his seat. Wasn't the case, there was already an inoperative seat on the ride. The light under the seat doesn't indicate harness engagement. It's just for show. They didn't have them on in the daytime. Apparently there is a light that shows engagement of the harness, although it isn't beneath the seat.

The harness was on and locked, the kid was too big for it to hold him in when the ride started braking and it took his full weight at speed. The seat was tilted at one point, but I'm not sure if it tilts when it is braking, which is when he came out of the seat. There wasn't a failsafe or secondary restraint to help hold him in.

The ride's operation manual puts the maximum weight for passengers at 286 lbs, he weighed 320-340. There weren't any weight limits posted, it was up to the operators to determine if the passenger's weight was over the limit. There wasn't any failsafe restraint on the ride (many rides of this type have a secondary restraint), just the shoulder harness, so it was all on the operators to screen the passengers. Apparently the boy was turned away from two other rides that night due to his size, but was allowed on this one.

Thanks for clarification on the light thing.

The seats DO remain tilted until the ride reaches the ground when it tilts back up to vertical before riders can get off.

My understanding is that the harness holds you in, but when you tip forward your weight is now pressing against the harness at your shoulders and chest. There is a gap between that and the seat, which is problematic. The harness must have to be very tight on anyone for that to work. This kid though did not fit into the seat and the harness didn't come down very far over his shoulders, so the gap was large. He actually didn't fall when it tipped forward but after the drop started to decelerate. It was smacking a can to get the contents out - his inertia made him keep going and he slipped right through. It's unimaginable that this scenario wasn't considered when this ride was designed!

It actually is possible that he slipped out of the harness at the top after it tipped forward and because it's a free fall, he fell at the same speed as the ride, only appearing to fall out at the moment of deceleration. It's a horrifying thought, but based on the video, and the position of his body as it fell, quite possible. Since it was nighttime, and dark, we may never know when he actually fell out of the seat. All the officials will say is that "it appears he fell out at the moment the magnetic brakes engaged." They don't know for sure.

Definitely. There's no shortage of this type of ride but this was the first I've heard that leans forward, and the park probably wanted it because it's something new and different.

Acrophobia at Six Flags Over Georgia leans forward. It was terrifying at 200 feet (and never again) - I can't even process going more than double that. And yes they have a strap.

1648661664949.png

1648661980412.png

There was a CEO of a company based I think in Orlando that builds amusements. He went to the Sky Drop memorial with a strap in hand. He said it cost $20 each to buy them and that they absolutely should have been on on this attraction.

Last edited:
Acrophobia at Six Flags Over Georgia leans forward. It was terrifying at 200 feet (and never again) - I can't even process going more than double that. And yes they have a strap.

View attachment 658675

View attachment 658678

There was a CEO of a company based I think in Orlando that builds amusements. He went to the Sky Drop memorial with a strap in hand. He said it cost $20 each to buy them and that they absolutely should have been on on this attraction.

Absolutely true.

This should also serve as a warning to people who send their kids off on trips like this where there is no direct supervision. Kids, especially 14 year olds, don't have a good enough sense of danger. As a parent, I would have taken one look at that ride, seen no strap present and said "absolutely not" to my child.

What is interesting to me is that the other thrill ride at the park (Slingshot) DOES have the safety strap in addition to the harness. Why was it not included in this insane drop ride? WTH?

And finally, take a look at the third thrill ride there, sky flyer. I cannot BELIEVE how flimsy those seats look considering how high that ride goes. Unreal. These three rides need to be dismantled and scrapped. They seem to all be death traps.

It really is unbelievable isn't it? Considering all of the engineers and inspectors that need to review these things, how could somethign like this be missed? If it were a matter of there being a maximum lenght of the gap between the restraint and the seat, why did the ride begin a cycle or why was the indicator light on (hearing various reports on that). I said before that I've ridden similar rides there the harness must lock into the seat - no gap. It could at least have a belt that locks in, even if it is redundnat and has no tension unless the harness were to fail. It is mind-blowing really that this happened!
ask the crew of the Columbia or Challenger as well….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter