Debt Dumpers - 2018

Chugging into November. Going to be an expensive month with our WDW/USO trip next month, so I'll be trying to keep expenses low otherwise. Unfortunately, DH's car needs a $250 repair. It hasn't needed anything in its 105k miles though, so I'm happy its only something small, though slightly pricey. We typically do most of our clothes shopping for the year during Black Friday sales, so we'll probably buy some clothes. We purchased some clothes while on vacation in April and I've bought two work dresses from Amazon ($25 each) this year, but other than that I honestly don't think I've set foot in our local mall all year... I'm pretty sure the last time I saw it, it was decorated for Christmas!

Fortunately I've gotten a couple good offers on my credit card that will help with expenses and traveling this month. I got several different cashback gas offers and a couple offers for Plated, the meal delivery service. I don't usually like paying those prices, but for $25 off a $50 purchase, I'm happy to pay for it. I stocked up on some Thanksgiving items with grocery offers last month too.

We finished up with about $200 left in the budget last month, and came in under budget on eating out, which was really nice considering we had to eat out for several meals when we lost power for 4 and a half days. I know eating out will be high this month with our trip, but hopefully I can have a somewhat lower grocery bill to balance it.

Our net worth continues to rise in YNAB! While I don't have my huge student loan bill in there (because I'm on PSLF... and that's way too depressing of a number to see all the time), it's encouraging to see that we're in the black as far as consumer debt and our two other student loans go. We continue to very slowly creep upwards.

With two more months left in the year, I'm looking back at what an exhausting year this was! It was emotionally draining with a family loss, and financially draining when I decided to help out DD with a vehicle. Though we had the money, yes, it ended up having a lot of trickle down into other things by pulling that money from our savings that I would not have seen at the time. So, here in November the trickle is still coming. I have about $1500 in cc now I have to focus on that I would not have had because I ended up having a few financial hits of my own that decided to pop up. I'll get the cc cleaned up in the next four months with a goal of pay off in Feb. The card is 0% interest until July so I have time, otherwise I would have focused on a snowball method and got it done immediately. Looking at goals for 2019: fully fund ROTH IRAs over 2019 and get up a six month emergency fund saved by June, and I'm starting up the savings for an emergency fund now. Emergencies love to find me.....

I'm so excited to save $500!
Yeah, saving $500 is great! Yes, thanks I think I can knock out this $1500 easily with the plan in place of spread over the next few months. I could pay it off much sooner like next month, but I am aiming for the emergency fund as a priority. Also need to get a pair of prescription glasses in December, have birthdays and Christmas in Dec., so, I'm just ordering it this way.

I was saving my UR points in Chase for future travel, but there are some good 10% off gift cards in there for upcoming birthdays that will be used for sure, one Dave and Busters, so ordered one so far with UR, hard to figure what this place costs, we've never been. On the lookout now to see if Target will have a good storewide discount coupon given out on Black Friday or in their Black Friday ads, to use over the holidays and hopefully will be allowed to use on Disney gift cards to use for Disney dining next April. With any luck maybe I can find a coupon and then still use the 5% for the red card for a big savings.

Then, at times, he talks about maybe wanting to be a high school history teacher. So, he could also pursue a Teaching Credential/Masters in Education. He really loves history and is a great mentor, and I think he would really get a lot of personal satisfaction as a teacher. He obviously feels pulled towards public service jobs and this would be a good option in our area, as there is constant growth and new schools being built, and the starting pay for teachers is really high here. He has a Master's in Military History, which is fairly useless outside the educational sector, but would serve him well as a teacher.

I think he is just confused as he gets ready to go through this transition, so we are looking at all options. My part is making sure we are financially ready for whatever he decides to do.

This is pretty much my DH, and he went the history teacher route. Interviewed for a few logistics / operations management positions before he discharged but when we worked out finances after we would lose a whole bunch of defence benefits it was always a worse deal so he stayed in and did his teaching degree part time and the teaching placements when he discharged. He makes such a good teacher, such a good rapport with kids and staff. Will get promoted to department head and maybe continue to vice/principal because he is just so good ato people management (something you don't see too often in teaching)

Side note, first time we visited DL we stayed with friends on exchange and living on base where it sounds like you are now.

Annual escrow notice came on November 1 and I was pleasantly surprised that our mortgage payment is only going up $11 a month even with the higher homeowners insurance amount. My COLA next year will easily cover that.

We are getting some tree work done. Got the quote down to $900 with a slight discount for paying cash and he will be doing additional landscaping on our property for that price.

The other big expense is a possible kitchen remodel. I’m getting quotes right now but will not proceed with anything just yet.

Headed to WDW on Monday for a weeks’ stay. Gift cards will cover food. Hotel and APs already paid for months ago.

I love Ally! Easy to use and their app is great. No fees. No minimums. We have around 8 savings accounts which I can assign nicknames to keep me organized. This is after 10+ years with Capital One 360, formerly ING, which I also loved but their interest rate is only 1%. I gave Ally a trial run and shortly after made the move.

I used to have an ING account and dropped it when their interest tanked down to nothing. Glad to hear Ally is similar! I'll definitely be opening an account.

I used to have an ING account and dropped it when their interest tanked down to nothing. Glad to hear Ally is similar! I'll definitely be opening an account.

CO/ING still offers a way better interest rate than most local banks. We were so bad with spending before we became interested in Debt Dumping that we didnt care much about interest rates; it amount to pennies either way.
Now that we have quite a chunk of savings, almost all earmarked for a variety of upcoming expenses needed in the next few months, we feel we should get the best bang for our buck. It would be foolish to leave it sitting in our local bank that offers 0.02%.

Just did my open enrollment for healthcare for work. DF pays medical for the whole family, but I have to add in my own dental/vision, STD/LTD, life insurance, etc. I increased a few things and it's going up $20 a paycheck. Not a huge jump. Once I see bow we're doing come new year's, I'll decide if I can swing bumping up my 401k another 1%. I still have to do DF's, but I'm anticipating it to go up about $50 or so.

November and December are going to be EXTREMELY expensive. I have 4 Thanksgivings, 4 Christmases, my brothers wedding, Book of Mormom, my WDW vacation, and my boyfriend and I's 7 year anniversary. I also have to register again as an attorney which is super fun and expensive.

I'm going to get through it without dipping into savings, which is nice, but I won't be contributing to savings (except my 401k) or debt payoff these next two months either.

On the plus side, my pay raise is effective today, my car is paid off March 9th, and I'll be able to quickly pay off my remaining consumer debt after that. Although I have 2 WDW trips happening next year as well, I don't have to pay lodging for one trip, and my park tickets will be "free" the second trip because it'll be my third with my AP. Basically two trips for the cost of one.

After that I need to decide if I want to pay more toward student loans or if I should continue as I am for a year or so to create a healthier savings.

My debt dumping is pretty much on hold until January or February. I got home on Friday to find another supplemental property tax bill in the mail to the tune of almost $1000. This is such a bad time to get that bill as we're going to have to try and come up with the first half that's due by 12/10. Unfortunately i'd already paid for most of our Disneyland trip this weekend so it's not like we could just cancel the trip to pay the bill. It is what it is and we'll figure it out, it's just frustrating since we didn't expect to get another supplemental property tax bill and our property taxes are supposed to be taken care of through our mortgage payment.

I got a bill from the first dryer repair, apparently the payment the guy collected did not process correctly and I failed to notice that it did not get charged. So need to do that this week. Then, DS15 tried on his winter coat and all his winter pjs pants and nothing fits. Not a surprise but need to shop soon before it gets really cold. And DS17 wore his sports coat the other day and it's short on him, time to pass it along and get him a new one. Always something that needs buying....

Last edited:
After that I need to decide if I want to pay more toward student loans or if I should continue as I am for a year or so to create a healthier savings.
I'm probably in the minority here, but if your SL interest is super low, I'd go with the savings and keep on with the SL payments. Emergencies will ALWAYS happen.

My debt dumping is pretty much on hold until January or February. I got home on Friday to find another supplemental property tax bill in the mail to the tune of almost $1000. This is such a bad time to get that bill as we're going to have to try and come up with the first half that's due by 12/10. Unfortunately i'd already paid for most of our Disneyland trip this weekend so it's not like we could just cancel the trip to pay the bill. It is what it is and we'll figure it out, it's just frustrating since we didn't expect to get another supplemental property tax bill and our property taxes are supposed to be taken care of through our mortgage payment.
So very sorry. We just received our second property tax (land we inherited), and the crazy thing is that it is more expensive than our house and property! Head scratcher, there. Just slotted it in for payment on the snowball, but that kills an extra payment I had planned. :(

I got a bill from the first dryer repair, apparently the payment the guy collected did not process correctly and I failed to notice that it did not get charged. So need to do that this week. Then, DS15 tried on his winter coat and all his winter pjs pants and nothing fits. Not a surprise but need to shop soon before it gets really cold. And DS17 wore his sports coat the other day and it's short on him, time to pass it along and get him a new one. Always something that needs buying....
Same with DD's here. The little has caught up with the big and now I get to double buy. But they are so excited and focused on the WDW trip, that I'm getting a reprieve from the "my pants are too short!"

One set of lights put up over the weekend. Hampered by back issues and having to reinstall ALL OF THE HOOKS that my DH removed last year "helping me" take them down. :sad:

Same with DD's here. The little has caught up with the big and now I get to double buy. But they are so excited and focused on the WDW trip, that I'm getting a reprieve from the "my pants are too short!"
Yes, I used to be able to do hand-me-downs. But then one day the younger one decided to grow to the same height just about as the older one and take on a sturdy and bigger boned shape so I can't pass clothes from older to younger.

Have still not ventured into Christmas shopping. But, I think I'm funded for Christmas, except for the New Year's trip. That was definitely not my smartest travel move that's for sure especially paying New Year's/Christmas rates, not even sure what I was thinking at the time, but I'm stuck with it because it was a no cancellation booking. Not sure why I thought this as a Christmas gift, but moving on! It's only two nights. Will not be impulsive on booking hotels in the future.

To those of you who have dealt with CC transfers, how long do they take? I have the receiving (new) CC saying that it was processed on Saturday. But my CC is still showing the balance.

Second question, and I'm not sure if this is one of those "Oh my word, you can't ask that question! It's FORBIDDEN!"

Had a family member JUST NOW back out of our trip that is in 27 days. The park tickets were already purchased and are non-refundable. Do I have options to try and regain some of my money or is it in the wind? PM me is this is a no-no, because I truly don't know. Frustrated I'm now out that money.

Second question, and I'm not sure if this is one of those "Oh my word, you can't ask that question! It's FORBIDDEN!"

Had a family member JUST NOW back out of our trip that is in 27 days. The tickets were already purchased and are non-refundable. Do I have options to try and regain some of my money or is it in the wind? PM me is this is a no-no, because I truly don't know. Frustrated I'm now out that money.
Is this theme park tickets, airfare, or?? If theme park tickets which park are they for?

To those of you who have dealt with CC transfers, how long do they take? I have the receiving (new) CC saying that it was processed on Saturday. But my CC is still showing the balance.

It can take a few days to a week to show up as complete on both your credit cards. If it's still not correct by next week i'd give them a call.

Sorry, fixed the post. Park tickets. They'd paid for the airfare.
Which park is it for? Tickets are non refundable, but from my understanding for Disneyland you can use them for someone else and I believe for world you can reassign unused tickets. Worse comes to worse the tickets retain there value even when they expire you just have to apply them towards the current ticket costs at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter