Debt Dumpers - 2019

Just got the quote for the wet bar install plus backsplashes for the wet bar and kitchen. $2640, which is close to what I had anticipated at $2500. They estimate another $1200 for the fireplace, though I had some questions because the way they worded that quote was a bit confusing. If it costs that much to do the fireplace, we will probably skip that for now. I just can't justify it, even though I would love to get that done too.

will it be a gas fireplace? if so i HIGHLY recommend that if it doesn't come standard with the one you are getting-upgrade to install a temp controlled blower. we did one on ours a few years ago and it's amazing how much heat what is largely meant to be an ornamental fireplace can put out. ours can easily heat 3 adjacent rooms (open concept living/kitchen/family rooms) and it saves us tremendously on utility bills in the colder months.

Today was payday for DH and I and i'm finally starting to see the difference that paying off majority of our credit cards has made. Most of our bills come out of these 2 paychecks (I only get paid once a month, DH gets paid twice) so we usually don't have a whole lot of money leftover after we pay everything and set aside some money for savings. In the past I've had to "borrow" against the rent our roommate gives us to pay for our normal bills instead of being able to use it to pay down debt or use it towards something fun, but i'm very excited to say that we actually had about $250 left over today after everything was paid! We would have had about $325, but I paid a little to our last big credit card and saved a little to our travel savings. This is a big step up for us since sometimes we'd have barely $100 leftover. Once I receive my roommates rent check it will go straight towards our big credit card balance and bring it down to $1500 owed. :worship:

Now i'm just sitting over here impatiently waiting on Avengers Endgame tickets to be released. popcorn::
That’s great you’re almost there! Oh and Avengers, I want to see, but think we will have to do the long wait for it on iTunes or Primevideo as it looks a little long for my youngest to sit through and focus. So I’ll anxiously await the other release dates!

will it be a gas fireplace? if so i HIGHLY recommend that if it doesn't come standard with the one you are getting-upgrade to install a temp controlled blower. we did one on ours a few years ago and it's amazing how much heat what is largely meant to be an ornamental fireplace can put out. ours can easily heat 3 adjacent rooms (open concept living/kitchen/family rooms) and it saves us tremendously on utility bills in the colder months.

We aren’t actually changing the fireplace itself, but rather I want to change the tile around the mantle. But $1200 seems steep, especially since that doesn’t include materials. I think we will hold off on that and I would get quotes from others and see about doing it later on.

Well, DS18 has heard from all his colleges - he got into four out of six- and has decided where he’s going. We are excited that now we can start planning and it’s all feeling REALLY real. Especially since his prom is tonight. I’ve made progress, I don’t cry *every* time we talk about him going away anymore, lol. Now we just need the financial package from them, haven’t heard yet. It’s instate tuition (and bonus, only 45 min to an hour away) so we know it will be manageable and because it’s a state school, we doubt he’s going to get much of a scholarship. Nothing like the $10-$30k offers he got from the private schools. Even with his 529, we still may need to cut back how much we are putting into retirement to free up some cash, but we’ve pretty much expected that’s going to be how it is for the next six years (DS16 is coming up next!). We have no CC debt right now, and actually a pretty healthy savings account (knock wood!) which is also good bc DH’s team’s contract rebid is also coming up this summer. Mega stress once every five years (he’s a govt contractor) to make sure he still has a job.

In other news, next weekend I am heading down to Orlando for work but won’t have time to play :(. Hopefully I can meet a childhood friend for dinner but my 3.5 days there will be packed. I’m nervous bc the flight I am on getting there is one of the planes that’s been grounded and I have not heard yet specifically about my flight. I already hate to fly. Ugh.

Once some of the stress of getting ready for my work trip and now knowing what Ds’s plan is goes away, I can get on the bandwagon with eating better. I need to lose 10ish pounds. I am still walking though, so I guess every little bit helps.

Well, DS18 has heard from all his colleges - he got into four out of six- and has decided where he’s going. We are excited that now we can start planning and it’s all feeling REALLY real. Especially since his prom is tonight. I’ve made progress, I don’t cry *every* time we talk about him going away anymore, lol. Now we just need the financial package from them, haven’t heard yet. It’s instate tuition (and bonus, only 45 min to an hour away) so we know it will be manageable and because it’s a state school, we doubt he’s going to get much of a scholarship. Nothing like the $10-$30k offers he got from the private schools. Even with his 529, we still may need to cut back how much we are putting into retirement to free up some cash, but we’ve pretty much expected that’s going to be how it is for the next six years (DS16 is coming up next!). We have no CC debt right now, and actually a pretty healthy savings account (knock wood!) which is also good bc DH’s team’s contract rebid is also coming up this summer. Mega stress once every five years (he’s a govt contractor) to make sure he still has a job.

In other news, next weekend I am heading down to Orlando for work but won’t have time to play :(. Hopefully I can meet a childhood friend for dinner but my 3.5 days there will be packed. I’m nervous bc the flight I am on getting there is one of the planes that’s been grounded and I have not heard yet specifically about my flight. I already hate to fly. Ugh.

Once some of the stress of getting ready for my work trip and now knowing what Ds’s plan is goes away, I can get on the bandwagon with eating better. I need to lose 10ish pounds. I am still walking though, so I guess every little bit helps.
That’s great! It is nice to know the school tuition will be manageable. I’d also rather pay as we go too and limit retirement while kids in school rather than do a student loan.

I’d also rather pay as we go too and limit retirement while kids in school rather than do a student loan.

one thing to consider though-if a student is eligible to loans that don't accrue interest during their college years is to opt to take them and bank the pay as you go funds to sit and earn interest. right before the loan goes into the repayment period pay it in full and you'll have paid out less by virtue of the interest earnings.

on the flip side-if you are going to do pay as you go, check to see if the college will take a credit card w/out charging a fee. use a credit card that earns reward dollars. pay the card in full w/the same funds you would have paid the college and use the reward dollars towards the next quarter's tuition.

i was just able to use both on the same loan. dd was able to get perkins loans up until the program expired in '17 so we had her take them. let the money we would have paid out sit in a no risk account that was paying 4%. the loans were set to come due in april so i walked into her college and paid close to $8000 on a credit card which i turned around and paid off immediately. i figure by doing it this way we offset the cost by about $2200.

one thing to consider though-if a student is eligible to loans that don't accrue interest during their college years is to opt to take them and bank the pay as you go funds to sit and earn interest. right before the loan goes into the repayment period pay it in full and you'll have paid out less by virtue of the interest earnings.

on the flip side-if you are going to do pay as you go, check to see if the college will take a credit card w/out charging a fee. use a credit card that earns reward dollars. pay the card in full w/the same funds you would have paid the college and use the reward dollars towards the next quarter's tuition.

i was just able to use both on the same loan. dd was able to get perkins loans up until the program expired in '17 so we had her take them. let the money we would have paid out sit in a no risk account that was paying 4%. the loans were set to come due in april so i walked into her college and paid close to $8000 on a credit card which i turned around and paid off immediately. i figure by doing it this way we offset the cost by about $2200.
True, that may be a consideration.

That’s great! It is nice to know the school tuition will be manageable. I’d also rather pay as we go too and limit retirement while kids in school rather than do a student loan.
He still may need a loan but we’ll know for sure once he gets his financial offer. Possibly not next year though, he got some money for his grandmother that we’ve suggested using instead of a loan for his first year.

Happy Sunday! Not too much to report here this week. I am happy that I paid off my trip to Disney for July. It's going to be a "big summer blowout". DD isn't having a graduation party and asked to go to Disney.

I have a list a mile long to complete today and absolutely no desire to do any of it. I might just take today off but I know I will feel crappy about it all week. Maybe I will try to triage it and just do the most important stuff.

I hope everyone has a great week!!

Disney is my one vice and Ive spent enough money on vacations to buy a small house probably. Time to pay the piper this year, I cut up my credit cards and am only spending what I actually have. Plus I need to set a couple of thousand aside for an emergency fund. Wish me luck !

Man, I can't believe we're really heading into another year! We have a very VERY big year ahead financially. I'm positive we will be able to not only meet, but exceed our goals this year. We have made tremendous strides in 2018 and I'm so proud of myself and DF for really cutting a lot of bad habits out.

On to my goals for 2019!
Financially:
Pay off loans: $2500 total between all 4.
Pay off furnuture: $2000
Pay off remaining insurance balance: $1800
Completely fund the wedding: We have a $15k budget for this and so far with prices for everything we are under that budget. We just have to make the payments!

Vacations:
Trip to Indiana to get best man, bridesmaids, his son fitted for suits and make sure they all match colors correctly. Budget for this is approximately $1500, but some of that is accounted for in the wedding budget.
Trip to PA to see my family since my grandma isn't doing really well lately.
Honeymoon! Currently looking at a 4-5 day cruise. Most recent price quotes have it at $1000 for the cruise and another $600 for flights. Going to budget this at $2500 for souvenirs, upgraded dinner, additional costs.

Personal:
Lose the other 30lbs.
Run a half marathon.
Commit to an overall healthier lifestyle.
Purge all the useless crap from our house!

@Shughart I have these, or ones that are very similar. I own 3 pairs of them haha.
https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/15303/skechers-on-the-go-600-polished/choc

Thank you so much for posting this! :flower3:
I've loved my Nike flip flops for years and have multiple pairs but they are so slippery when wet, to the point of being dangerous.:crazy2: I keep meaning to look for something else that offers more arch support too. This pair of Skechers fit the bill. I bought a pair from Amazon (free returns) and they fit perfectly.
We leave for Aruba in a few days and I'm so happy to have a pair of flip flops I can put on while still a little wet from pool or beach.

I feel like i'm gonna go broke on allergy meds this season. This was the first weekend we've had really nice weather since the start of the year and my allergies have hit me HARD. Congestion, sore throat, plugged ears....oh the fun. I will be making a Coscto trip after work for some new allergy meds that a coworker recommended.

Costco also sells generic Sudafed really cheap. I'm talking the good stuff, the kind you need to show your DL at the counter. It keeps me from getting so clogged up and turning into a sinus infection.

I can't imagine how blissfully simple life would be without allergies. Ah, to open all the windows on a spring day or hang clothes on the line in the summer. These are only in my memories now.

Wish me luck !

Good luck!!

Today I booked our room only reservation for 2020. My car payment will be done next month and I’ll be able to pay for the vacation by setting aside half my car payment a month and using my Disney reward dollars.

I feel a little torn about planning a Disney vacation while debt dumping, but will keep plugging away at it. My kids will only be young once and my DD12 loves Disney so much she has asked for Disney gift cards for every birthday and Christmas since our last trip 4 years ago. She has over $300 in gift cards and said she wants to use it to buy the whole family (there are 5 of us) a nice dinner.

Good luck!!

Today I booked our room only reservation for 2020. My car payment will be done next month and I’ll be able to pay for the vacation by setting aside half my car payment a month and using my Disney reward dollars.

I feel a little torn about planning a Disney vacation while debt dumping, but will keep plugging away at it. My kids will only be young once and my DD12 loves Disney so much she has asked for Disney gift cards for every birthday and Christmas since our last trip 4 years ago. She has over $300 in gift cards and said she wants to use it to buy the whole family (there are 5 of us) a nice dinner.

I sympathize with you. Disney pricing has gotten ridiculous. Staying at the Poly at rack rate exceeds the cost of the Four Seasons by almost $200. That's insane. But it's okay cutting corners. It won't matter to your kids.

I remember going to WDW as a kid and staying in a hotel once that had vibrating beds that you'd feed quarter into. As a kid, I found it funny. It definitely embarrassed my parents.

Your kids will remember the good times. They won't remember where you cut corners. And they will remember the little extras you do. I remember going to the Contemporary for character breakfast as a kid. It was so awesome riding the monorail into the resort. We never stayed there, but it was always awesome going there to see the characters.

Last edited:
Well I finished March WAM-ing my heart out after a car service and some unexpected medical expenses. Really trying hard to not touch categories where I know we will have a future big bill (like our power/gas) but are plump with spare funds right now.

April has some bigger discretionary expenses and DH had to have a few days off last week after some day surgery hit him hard so our first paycheck will be down a little, will see how it pans out.

April budget starting good, went to a savings first approach this month and began the emergency fund funding at $500 for now, working to a higher per month funding next month. I’m eyeing my car loan, but not ready yet to begin looking into it more than what’s due. I’ll let the year ride out and get the emergency fund set first, as I don’t feel comfortable with just $1000 as an emergency fund, as mentioned my mom is ill, 85 this year, and if she passes I’m handling final expenses as she has none and my sibling doesn’t either. Or, may need to have some set aside if I need to make extended visits. I wish I lived closer and feel guilty about that but married with children and have to live where DH is employed. Goal is $15k emergency fund but I’ll feel comfortable to get to $10k, once at 10k shifting focus over to the car loan. That may sound backwards but that’s what I feel is right for what I foresee.

when it rains it not only pours-it's a freaking typhoon!

march officaly became a TSUNAMI!!!! one freaking day left in the month, and yesterday brought an issue w/our septic system..................to the tune of $2500-$3000 before all is said and done. oh well, this is why we have emergency funds.

c'mon april-bring some less expensive times.

April is starting out on a good note! Checked pay stubs and not only is the garnishment officially stopped, they refunded last pay checks garnishment as well! So that was an extra $350! Just in time since we're heading to the zoo this weekend for our little Bug's 2nd birthday. Maybe we can stop by the outlet mall there and pick up some summer clothes and shoes for the girls for a decent price since they both need some.

April is starting out on a good note! Checked pay stubs and not only is the garnishment officially stopped, they refunded last pay checks garnishment as well! So that was an extra $350! Just in time since we're heading to the zoo this weekend for our little Bug's 2nd birthday. Maybe we can stop by the outlet mall there and pick up some summer clothes and shoes for the girls for a decent price since they both need some.

I am so glad the settlement worked out for you. Such a burden off your shoulders!

I'm glad this worked out for you. I've heard so many bad things about these debt reduction offers that it's good to see that it does sometimes work out. (I do think that you might have to pay taxes on the amount that was written off; it seems the IRS counts that as income.)

We had an issue with an unpaid medical bill showing up on one of my kid's credit reports. Unfortunately it had been there a while before we caught it but fortunately two of the credit reporting agencies were great about accepting that it wasn't his and removing it from his report. On the other hand, both Equifax and the collection agency that now owned the debt were total jerks about the whole thing, each one saying to contact the other, and that according to their info it was reported correctly, when if they had just bothered to actually look at it, they would have seen that it wasn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter