Debt Dumpers 2021

I applied for a job this weekend. The posting had been up for quite a while so I anticipate that they have likely already chosen someone for the position, but it seemed like an exciting opportunity so I decided, why not. Though I don't love the job location (CA bay area), it would be an amazing opportunity and we would figure it out. It would likely provide much greater job opportunities for my husband as a computer programmer/software engineer.

I have been giving my current position some serious thought. My boss is talking more and more about retiring in the next few years and I would want to get her job as director, but don't feel like that is a very likely scenario. Mostly because I feel like she is still harboring resentment about my rough maternity leave and transition back to work when my daughter was born almost 4 years ago. I have put in a lot of work since that time to make things better, but I haven't been given the types of responsibilities or opportunities that I would expect given my experience and tenure. I have seen many such things go to my newer colleagues though.

I am not sure if there is a way to turn things around so I have been exploring hiring a career coach with the idea that I would either work towards my boss's position or else I would pivot to a new job. I have had interviews with 2 coaches and have another one today, then I will plan to choose after that. The cost is not insignificant, but I am viewing this as an investment in myself and my career. I don't want to just settle for my current situation, but I feel like I need some outside perspective and help to get where I am wanting to go.
That’s a tough situation. It’s hard (at least for me) to think about leaving one situation even if you know it wouldn’t be a bad change. That said, when I was laid off a few years ago, it ended up being the best thing for me because I enjoy the job (and my team) I’m in now a lot more than the one I was in before. Is your manager the one who chooses who replaces her when she retire? It doesn’t work like that with my employer. She should not be holding a grudge that long though! Good luck, it sounds like the career coach idea is worth looking into.

I applied for a job this weekend. The posting had been up for quite a while so I anticipate that they have likely already chosen someone for the position, but it seemed like an exciting opportunity so I decided, why not. Though I don't love the job location (CA bay area), it would be an amazing opportunity and we would figure it out. It would likely provide much greater job opportunities for my husband as a computer programmer/software engineer.

I have been giving my current position some serious thought. My boss is talking more and more about retiring in the next few years and I would want to get her job as director, but don't feel like that is a very likely scenario. Mostly because I feel like she is still harboring resentment about my rough maternity leave and transition back to work when my daughter was born almost 4 years ago. I have put in a lot of work since that time to make things better, but I haven't been given the types of responsibilities or opportunities that I would expect given my experience and tenure. I have seen many such things go to my newer colleagues though.

I am not sure if there is a way to turn things around so I have been exploring hiring a career coach with the idea that I would either work towards my boss's position or else I would pivot to a new job. I have had interviews with 2 coaches and have another one today, then I will plan to choose after that. The cost is not insignificant, but I am viewing this as an investment in myself and my career. I don't want to just settle for my current situation, but I feel like I need some outside perspective and help to get where I am wanting to go.
It's a great idea to explore alternatives. If you are willing to look at an opportunity in CA bay area, perhaps even broadening your scope to other more ideal locations you'd rather live and work in is also an option. If just beginning to explore options on what's next for you, maybe there are options locally also that can be considered. The career coach sounds very interesting, why not! Great if they can help guide to work things out what suits your goals.

That’s a tough situation. It’s hard (at least for me) to think about leaving one situation even if you know it wouldn’t be a bad change. That said, when I was laid off a few years ago, it ended up being the best thing for me because I enjoy the job (and my team) I’m in now a lot more than the one I was in before. Is your manager the one who chooses who replaces her when she retire? It doesn’t work like that with my employer. She should not be holding a grudge that long though! Good luck, it sounds like the career coach idea is worth looking into.

My organization is divided into 5 regional centers and a national office. The national director would likely make the final decision, but my boss, the director for our regional center, will likely have a very large influence on who her replacement would be, I imagine.

And as far as holding a grudge, I am pretty sure she still does. I had a bad annual performance review in 2018 after my daughter was born. I worked hard to "right the ship" and anticipated a better review in 2019, but I was really blindsided with another bad review. I had a conversation with her about it and during that talk, she mentioned a project that I finished right before I went on leave in 2017 and how it was terrible and had to be redrafted while I was gone. My workload leading into my maternity leave was insane and I honestly can't believe I even had something to submit for that project. I was literally typing work emails in the delivery room. She had never mentioned that project to me at all in the preceding 2 years before our talk. I asked her how I was supposed to know about it if I was never informed? How can I ensure I am meeting expectations if she does not provide any kind of feedback.

I haven't really considered changing positions because I knew we were going to have another child and my husband and I both got paternity leave. But now that is past and we aren't planning any more kids, I feel like I can start seriously considering what I want my path forward to look like.

It's a great idea to explore alternatives. If you are willing to look at an opportunity in CA bay area, perhaps even broadening your scope to other more ideal locations you'd rather live and work in is also an option. If just beginning to explore options on what's next for you, maybe there are options locally also that can be considered. The career coach sounds very interesting, why not! Great if they can help guide to work things out what suits your goals.

My legal field is really niche, so I am not sure if I could find anything locally that I would feel was a progression in my career. But I am willing to move pretty much nationwide, especially if tech jobs are better in the area we move so my husband has more prospects as well. My ideal job would be in Austin, probably. The company for the job that I applied to has offices in Austin too, so my thought was, if I was a serious contender for that position, perhaps they would have the flexibility to be located in Austin instead. My parents are retiring 45 minutes away from Austin. My brother and SIL live in Austin. I used to live there and really like the area in general.

I just don't know if I can stomach the thought of canceling the line and then he can't call 911 in an emergency
I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 14 years. Wireless phones with no active service can still call 9-1-1, as long as they have battery power. However, there's only limited information available to the 9-1-1 center and if he disconnects, the dispatcher can't call back. Even old landlines with no service can still call 9-1-1. :thumbsup2

I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 14 years. Wireless phones with no active service can still call 9-1-1, as long as they have battery power. However, there's only limited information available to the 9-1-1 center and if he disconnects, the dispatcher can't call back. Even old landlines with no service can still call 9-1-1. :thumbsup2

We specifically have a cheap landline phone to plug in just in case. WA we have to be prepared for earthquakes and volcanoes technically, so you never know what cell reception might do and those are our only phones.

I have a new expense/sinking fund kind of thing happening: registering for the 2022 Ironman Tulsa happening next May. It's really expensive, but it's been on my bucket list for years. I was actually about to register for this year's event when I found out I was pregnant, so I only got to watch in various places this year. It was so awesome to watch! The energy was insane, so I'm very excited to give this a real shot.

So, I have to register by August 29th. I'm going to do the payment plan option, which splits it into 3 payments: $395 for the first one and then 2 payments of $295. In addition to that, I need to buy a road bike, tri suit, and I'm sure other things I don't even know I need. I don't even have an estimate for that yet, but I'd guess maybe around $1000 to start?

I don't need top of the line stuff because my only goal is to finish. If I love it, I'll invest in better more expensive equipment, but for now, the basics will work fine.

I have a new expense/sinking fund kind of thing happening: registering for the 2022 Ironman Tulsa happening next May. It's really expensive, but it's been on my bucket list for years. I was actually about to register for this year's event when I found out I was pregnant, so I only got to watch in various places this year. It was so awesome to watch! The energy was insane, so I'm very excited to give this a real shot.

So, I have to register by August 29th. I'm going to do the payment plan option, which splits it into 3 payments: $395 for the first one and then 2 payments of $295. In addition to that, I need to buy a road bike, tri suit, and I'm sure other things I don't even know I need. I don't even have an estimate for that yet, but I'd guess maybe around $1000 to start?

I don't need top of the line stuff because my only goal is to finish. If I love it, I'll invest in better more expensive equipment, but for now, the basics will work fine.

A budget of $700-900 is good for a bike. I recommend a Trek FX 3 or higher.

The suit, probably $150. You'll also want goggles and probably a swim cap.

And good running shoes, about $100-150/pair. And good running socks. I recommend thorlos.

You will also need bike accessories (bottle cage, kickstand, bell, saddlebag, basic tools, extra inner tubes, a hand pump or cartridges to inflate tires, and a GOOD helmet). The helmet alone will cost $50-150. Get a REALLY GOOD one for an event with multiple participants like that...crashes/collisions are a real risk. You'll also probably want some good sport sunglasses.

I'd budget $1500 for all the "equipment."

Ds20’s laptop has a virus and he also can’t update to the latest OS. Both his and Ds18’s computers are 6-7 years old, so we‘re going to get them new ones this summer rather than pay a lot to get rid of it. (Stuff DH tried wasn’t working and Best Buy Geek Squad starts at $150). DS18 said he is running out of memory too. I had actually been thinking about this before they started having trouble that with DS18 starting college, maybe it was time to upgrade. We like Apple products so not cheap but at least we know it should last them a while. Always seems to be an unplanned expense popping up.

A budget of $700-900 is good for a bike. I recommend a Trek FX 3 or higher.

The suit, probably $150. You'll also want goggles and probably a swim cap.

And good running shoes, about $100-150/pair. And good running socks. I recommend thorlos.

You will also need bike accessories (bottle cage, kickstand, bell, saddlebag, basic tools, extra inner tubes, a hand pump or cartridges to inflate tires, and a GOOD helmet). The helmet alone will cost $50-150. Get a REALLY GOOD one for an event with multiple participants like that...crashes/collisions are a real risk. You'll also probably want some good sport sunglasses.

I'd budget $1500 for all the "equipment."

Thanks for the advice! I do have the good running shoes already since I've already been a runner and actually just got some before I got pregnant, so those should be good to go. I also have a few of the smaller things: small pump, multi tool, bottle holders and bottles. But I'll definitely look into upgrading some of those. Glad to see I'm not totally off on start up costs though. And at least I have a few months to spread costs out. I won't need the wet suit until spring when I'm ready to do actual open water swims. For now I'm just going to build endurance in the lap pool over fall/winter.

My legal field is really niche, so I am not sure if I could find anything locally that I would feel was a progression in my career. But I am willing to move pretty much nationwide, especially if tech jobs are better in the area we move so my husband has more prospects as well. My ideal job would be in Austin, probably. The company for the job that I applied to has offices in Austin too, so my thought was, if I was a serious contender for that position, perhaps they would have the flexibility to be located in Austin instead. My parents are retiring 45 minutes away from Austin. My brother and SIL live in Austin. I used to live there and really like the area in general.
Good luck and you never know, one open door with a company could lead to other opportunities! DH was once considering a possibility of Austin area, supposedly the area has a lot of momentum with the tech field in a government agency there, and I'd suspect the civilian tech sector would be advantageous for jobs in that field also.
Thanks for the advice! I do have the good running shoes already since I've already been a runner and actually just got some before I got pregnant, so those should be good to go. I also have a few of the smaller things: small pump, multi tool, bottle holders and bottles. But I'll definitely look into upgrading some of those. Glad to see I'm not totally off on start up costs though. And at least I have a few months to spread costs out. I won't need the wet suit until spring when I'm ready to do actual open water swims. For now I'm just going to build endurance in the lap pool over fall/winter.
Great goal an exciting thing to train for! You might go through another pair or two before the lead up to the event depending on how much you run.
Ds20’s laptop has a virus and he also can’t update to the latest OS. Both his and Ds18’s computers are 6-7 years old, so we‘re going to get them new ones this summer rather than pay a lot to get rid of it.
I'd replace also at that timeframe anyway, a lot changes so rapidly with computers and phones every year, it seems hard to keep up with.

My budget is going to get a hit here soon. DD ended up in the ER on Sunday and Monday for a really bad cough. The ER thinks it is asthma and the ped. doc. doesn't think so. So we are headed to the pulmonologist. I am sure there be many tests that they will have to run. Hopefully we will get answers soon but I am not looking forward to the bills that are going to start coming in. The 2nd mortgage might get pushed back a few more months before it is paid off.

NEW FINANCIAL HURDLE — got my daughter’s college financial aid letter back for 2021-2022 and my eyes popped out of my head. The family contribution went UP by $12,000. It changes every year and I know the big jump this year was mostly because I currently have two houses and the equity in the second house counts against me. I will figure out a way to cash flow it, but I won‘t be able to do much “extra“ debt dumping for the rest of the year until my city house sells.

End of May Checkin:

Goal #1: Sell ”city” house. Not yet. Paid $200 extra to principal In May.
Goal #2 When city house sells, pay off the loan for the country house. Paid $2200 extra to principal in May.
Goal #3 Pay property taxes on both houses in January 2021. approx $6500.✅ Complete January 2021
Goal #4 Cash flow all of daughter’s college tuition, fees, room and board. Winter Quarter ☑ Spring Quarter ✅
Goal #5 Pay off all credit cards to zero balance. I have three with a balance right now=total is $12648. Feb 2021—Paid off the smallest. March 2021–Paid off second smallest card, put $2800 stimulus check towards the largest card balance. Paid $1500 in May. Current balance $1991.00. 0% interest ends in December.
Goal #6 Maintain $2000 emergency fund ✅
Goal #7 Update will.
I hand wrote a holographic will which is legit in my state, just to have something. 🙄
Goal #8 Replace dishwasher in country house. Putting this off. Considered taking advantage of Memorial Day sales, but decided to pay off more debt instead first and just keep washing by hand when I am there.

After the city house sells, the country house need some work.
I already had to replace the roof, garbage disposal, and the dryer in late 2020. Once I have sale proceeds from city house:
goal #1 for country house: Remodel master bathroom to add a bathtub and update (new sinks/countertop, new mirror, new lighting, remove wallpaper, maybe add some better insulation, maybe add vanity/seat).
goal #2 for country house: New flooring throughout.
goal #3 for country house: Power wash porch and sealant on the porch Found someone to do this, but not started yet.
goal #4 for country house: Paint where roofers removed gutters and replaced some rotted boards. Maybe repaint all of the wood exterior, I’d kind of like a different color.
New goal #5 for country house—build enclosed fence in the backyard with a ramp from the back porch for the dogs.✅ Done

Dh has the Apple Card and turns out we could do a payment plan for the new laptops through the card, buying directly from Apple, without interest for 12 months. We paid tax and shipping today, will get billed every month for a year and he got his percentage of Apple Cash back. Wins all around.

My current plan for paying down my mortgage is to make sure I pay the principal down by $10k every year. The payments reduce it by about $6k, so I’m filling in the gaps. This is helping me project out my remaining principal for retirement. I plan to recast after every $50k drop, so I can continue to shrink my monthly payment going into retirement.

I know I can make more in the equity market, but I don’t want to hold bonds right now. So I’m allocating what I would add in bonds each year to pay it down faster. Once I can get a real return with bonds I might change tactics and start buying them again.

Dh has the Apple Card and turns out we could do a payment plan for the new laptops through the card, buying directly from Apple, without interest for 12 months. We paid tax and shipping today, will get billed every month for a year and he got his percentage of Apple Cash back. Wins all around.

This is exactly how DH and I got our new phones, but on phones they let you pay over 24 months. I like buying an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple because I never have to worry about wanting to switch providers since the unlocked phone supports any of them.

Well, an unexpected expense popped up yesterday. My daughter dropped a cup of water on my laptop and it stopped responding. I was trying to hold off on replacing it until the next generation of Macbook Airs come out, so I decided to take it somewhere to get serviced. They were able to get it dried out and everything is working properly again, but I am out $250 for the service. Still less expensive than $2000 for a new laptop, so I guess it is alright. DH and I decided that this will come out of our emergency fund and try to pay that back over the next few months.

And I hired a career coach! I interviewed 3 different people and the pricing ranged pretty widely. I ended up going with the middle-of-the-road cost, not really because of the cost, but because they are actually in the same niche legal field as me. I actually have known this person for quite a while and I felt that their experience working in the same area is going to be more impactful for me than the other people that I spoke with. And interestingly, they sent a potential project to me. I had to bring it to my company first, but it is with a business sector that our organization has been hesitant to work with in the past, so it has the potential to turn into an independent contractor project for me, which in that case, it would actually likely pay for the cost of the career coach.

To also help fund the cost of the career coach, I am going to up my game on decluttering the house and selling things. I had been slowly working on this a few months ago, but I haven't listed anything up in a while so I am going to try to redouble my efforts there.

Not much of an end of May update - everything is running on track in the financial department. I did realize this week that between my company‘s one time and my regular contributions to my HSA, I only need to contribute another $375 to max it out, so plan to do that in an upcoming 3 paycheck month. And future years, I plan to max my contributions. A financial advisor I met casually once said that a lot of people will bulk up their HSA and not use it if at all possible until retirement, where it fills the gap of perhaps not having Medicare available right away. I thought that was a great idea and we don’t, thankfully, have a lot of medical expenses right now so I am hoping I can make this part of my retirement plans.

I’ve applied and interviewed for a new job at work. I’m a strong contender but probably won’t know if I get it for another week or two. It would be a great fresh restart for me so fingers are crossed. I am not happy with how my current role has evolved. The new position is the same pay scale, but I would still be taking on a lot more responsibility so am hoping for a small raise. If I get the job and raise, I will most likely throw all the extra at the mortgage. I have this burning desire to be mortgage free so any amount of time that I can shave off my current 5 year plan is a bonus.

My new back patio is coming together! Small hiccup in the furniture set I ordered. The sofa shipped but then the other two pieces went on backorder so have to wait on them. But I‘m excited to sit out on there and work this summer. Rained the past 2 days so haven’t been able to enjoy it yet, but got sunshine and a day of conference calls tomorrow that I just listen to, so it will be the perfect opportunity to try it all out!

My inlaws messaged my husband on Friday saying they were coming down this weekend to pick up a project truck for his step dad, but they wanted him to go with his step dad to help load and secure it. Luckily we were both able to schedule tomorrow and Saturday off, because her brilliant plan while I was at work was "just bring the kids to the hotel and we can hang out in the room while they go get it". 🤦‍♀️ You're going to entertain a 4 and 5 year old in a hotel room for 7 hours?!
Even better, we tried for 2 days to get them to give us an idea when they'd be here tomorrow so we could get *some* kind of game plan going. They showed up at 2:00pm TODAY. We found out they would be here an hour and a half before they showed up. Nice way to stress out your 8 months pregnant DIL.

I was supposed to be joining in the neighborhood garage sale tomorrow and Saturday. I think I might still try to set up in the morning for a couple hours, but Saturday is up in the air depending on when they want to leave. I'm super nesty and have just been crazy purging and I just want to get rid of stuff in our house. This seems perfect because there will be a ton of people in the neighborhood for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter