• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers 2022

Jumping on the bandwagon really late in the year because I finally decided to get serious about dumping the debt. Last year I had paid just about all CC debt off and then bam a series of awful events occurred. Now I rolled everything into a 0% card. It's amazing how fast it goes off without the interest.
:welcome:

I have been planning forever to take a long trip to Disney in October/November 2023 to celebrate my 50th birthday. I wanted to be able to do a Halloween and a Christmas Party. Now my mom's husband's family wants to go in February/March of 2023. I was initially thinking I would do a week with them (they stay off property and my mom and her husband pay for the house) and then I would shorten mine to a week. Well, now they think they want to stay 11 nights! Thinking financially the smart thing to do is to go with them and then cancel mine and do something closer to home that is a lot less money.

When rates for next year come out I will still book the long trip in hopes that somehow I come into money before then! lol

We are; thank you ❤️

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize until just now that my Explorer is a unibody; I thought it was a traditional frame. Even though the rear and front passenger doors don’t shut without some lifting and force right now, I’m really, really hoping they don’t total my car. I don’t want to buy a car right now with these crazy prices.
Happy to say I will not be taking on debt due to a new car! My 2017 Explorer has about $7500 worth of damage but, with the sky high used car prices, it isn’t enough to total the car.

I feel like I'm getting buried under credit card debt. Oil is just killing us so I can't wait for it to be warmer so we aren't paying $670 a month to heat the house and water. Our fridge is on its last legs and I wanted something that would last (I've heard horror stories about Samsungs!) so we paid for a higher end one last night, which of course went on the card.

We get paid twice a month and basically the first goes to the mortgage and then the second goes to the credit card. It's just disheartening and it seems like every time we're making some headway...something happens that needs to go on there!

I feel like I'm getting buried under credit card debt. Oil is just killing us so I can't wait for it to be warmer so we aren't paying $670 a month to heat the house and water. Our fridge is on its last legs and I wanted something that would last (I've heard horror stories about Samsungs!) so we paid for a higher end one last night, which of course went on the card.

We get paid twice a month and basically the first goes to the mortgage and then the second goes to the credit card. It's just disheartening and it seems like every time we're making some headway...something happens that needs to go on there!
Have you looked into Dave Ramsey’s Baby Steps? It worked wonderfully for me. I’d like to just shake his hand and thank him. It has been life altering for me.
In 8 years we went from always being broke, spending more than we earned, racking up more debt every year, to paying off all our credit cards, home equity loan, car payments, and mortgage.
I am living proof it can be done. :thumbsup2

Interview was Wednesday and I actually felt super comfortable during it. I loathe interviews. I feel like it went really well. The lady who interviewed me said "that's exactly what I like to hear/what we're looking for" several times. She had a couple more interviews this week and would let us all know next week if we are moving to second interviews or if they just decided to move forward and hire one of us. I'm feeling optimistic.

Spoke with my current boss and if I get this new job, he's going to let me schedule off every Monday and just work Saturday and Sunday for a few weeks. Hubby is also going to plan to pick up as much ot as possible over the next month or so. Hopefully this works out and we finally get something going.

Have you looked into Dave Ramsey’s Baby Steps? It worked wonderfully for me. I’d like to just shake his hand and thank him. It has been life altering for me.
In 8 years we went from always being broke, spending more than we earned, racking up more debt every year, to paying off all our credit cards, home equity loan, car payments, and mortgage.
@EilonwyWanderer
I agree. His book Total Money Makeover changed the way I handle money. I don't follow 100% of his principles, but I do live 100% debt-free since reading it.

Sending you big hugs!

For debt we really only have the one credit card and the mortgage, but we're still finding things in the new house that need to be dealt with, then my kids are now old enough to be doing activities like sports (which were SORELY missed during the pandemic but omg, fees and equipment etc etc), and I feel like every time we're about to be able to keep the credit card manageable some 6-10k issue pops up! Right now we've put a laundry list of electrical things on hold since I want them done, but they're things that can wait rather than things that must be done (like the fridge, we are really skirting the line of this thing just deciding one day to turn off!).

We do overpay the mortgage every month enough to cover the monthly interest, so that's something. It just really feels like a give and take lately--took the kids out of afterschool care to save $1000 a month..and then oil shot up so our usual $250ish a month bill was more like $650! I need it to be summer so I can actually see that savings!

Mid-April update:

My 2022 Financial Goals:
  • Pay off our Camry loan (currently sitting just under $12k)....This has now been paid off and replaced with our home equity loan payment.
  • Continue to pay extra to our Highlander loan (especially once the Camry is paid off)....Back to paying an extra $50 on top of my $450/mo payment.
  • Save an extra $1000 towards my main savings account outside of my automatic monthly transfers....$50/$1000...since I need to re-pay $2000 we'll see if I'm able to add this extra like I wanted too.
  • Save money for the following expenses: cat/gifts/annual credit card fees....$75 added 1/31, $75 added 2/15, $75 added 2/28, $75 added 3/15, 4/15 moved $75 from a savings I hardly use to this savings instead.
  • Save $$ for family Hawaii trip (tentatively April 2023)....$125 current Hawaii savings. (4/15 added $25)
  • Re-pay $2000 that I borrowed from my main savings to pay off the Camry loan....3/31 repaid $150
My 2022 Personal Goals:
  • Professional pool replaster/remodel …..The pool is complete and it looks amazing!!!
  • Exercise at least 4 times a week....I've averaged 3 times a week, need to ramp this up a bit.
  • Spend less money on items that we don't need....I feel like we've spent a lot of money recently, but I don't feel like it's been on things we don't need. Lots of stuff for the house/backyard and getting ready for vacation. Once vacation is over I may need to look into a better way of tracking this.
Honestly not a whole lot to update for this mid-month update. I feel like we're hemorrhaging money this month with stuff we've done in the backyard, a bachelor party my DH attended, birthday gifts, groceries (ugh), plus we have a wedding to attend (that my DH is in) at the end of the month. Tonight we'll be buying dinner and bringing it over to my mom as an early birthday dinner since we won't be home for her birthday/mother's day. I'm hoping after vacation we can get our budget back on track, even though I don't think we've done terribly this year.

I really need to buckle down on saving for Hawaii, but I can't really do that until after our cruise/Disneyland trip and our SoCal trip memorial day weekend (assuming this is still happening). I know I've mentioned before my FIL/MIL want to pay for the trip, but I don't know if I mentioned that as of right now we've decided on going to Aulani. My FIL put a deposit down on a 2-bedroom villa at Aulani, but my issue with this is that there are 9 of us going, so one couple ends up in the living room and that couple will either be myself and my DH or my BIL/BIL. None of us are ok with that scenario. If we all had our own rooms it wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not ok with having to sleep in the living room with a bunch of other people around. So my DH and I discussed just paying for our own room (either renting DVC points from a company I won't name or renting points from his co-worker if he has the points) and if we do that then I'll need to up my budget. We also still need to discuss this with his parents, because I don't want to hurt their feelings if we pay for our own room. The other issue with renting DVC points is that we'd obviously be locked into it, so if his family decides on doing something else they will just have to count us out since we'll be locked into Aulani. Lots to still figure out with this trip.

Hard to believe it's already the middle of April! I have no idea where this year has gone.

Our budget buster this week was our sleep number bed died. We’ve had it for almost 8 years with zero issues, but I‘ve been ready for something different for a while now. This week, my husbands side of the bed went flat. The pump just ticked but did nothing. While fiddling with air hoses, my side of the bed went flat. I don’t know if our version is obsolete but I could only find used parts on eBay which I don’t trust. I took it as a sign to get something new. Our problem is that we take forever to make these decisions. So we agreed to a lower/mid cost “interim” mattress until we can decide on a longer term plan. It’s ordered and we are “patiently“ waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, he’s sleeping on the three inch topper on the caved in bed and I’m sleeping on the 20 year old mattress in the spare bedroom. It’s not been a good week for sleep.

In non job related news, my 6 year old broke her wrist (again) during my 5 year old's birthday party Sunday. Monday we went for x-rays at urgent care. Yesterday we saw the ortho and got it casted. I can't wait to start getting those bills in. We go back next week for follow up x-rays to make sure nothing has moved, but she has 4 weeks in the cast to look forward too. Poor girl is missing her entire soccer season. She's in good spirits though so I'll call it a win?

Our budget buster this week was our sleep number bed died. We’ve had it for almost 8 years with zero issues, but I‘ve been ready for something different for a while now. This week, my husbands side of the bed went flat. The pump just ticked but did nothing. While fiddling with air hoses, my side of the bed went flat. I don’t know if our version is obsolete but I could only find used parts on eBay which I don’t trust. I took it as a sign to get something new. Our problem is that we take forever to make these decisions. So we agreed to a lower/mid cost “interim” mattress until we can decide on a longer term plan. It’s ordered and we are “patiently“ waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, he’s sleeping on the three inch topper on the caved in bed and I’m sleeping on the 20 year old mattress in the spare bedroom. It’s not been a good week for sleep.

We have a sleep number and I’m dyjng for it to die so I can get a new one. Lol. I don’t like it but my husband loves it so I deal. I of course prefer it to die when we have money to replace it but that never happens

For debt we really only have the one credit card and the mortgage, but we're still finding things in the new house that need to be dealt with, then my kids are now old enough to be doing activities like sports (which were SORELY missed during the pandemic but omg, fees and equipment etc etc), and I feel like every time we're about to be able to keep the credit card manageable some 6-10k issue pops up! Right now we've put a laundry list of electrical things on hold since I want them done, but they're things that can wait rather than things that must be done (like the fridge, we are really skirting the line of this thing just deciding one day to turn off!).

We do overpay the mortgage every month enough to cover the monthly interest, so that's something. It just really feels like a give and take lately--took the kids out of afterschool care to save $1000 a month..and then oil shot up so our usual $250ish a month bill was more like $650! I need it to be summer so I can actually see that savings!
If the credit card interest rate is higher than the mortgage interest rate, it would help you much more financially to be putting this extra payment to the credit card until it is paid off.

We have a sleep number and I’m dyjng for it to die so I can get a new one. Lol. I don’t like it but my husband loves it so I deal. I of course prefer it to die when we have money to replace it but that never happens
It was probably my biggest waste of money. We splurged on it because we couldn’t agree on a firm or soft mattress. We eventually ended up sleeping on the same number. *headsmack*

Interview was Wednesday and I actually felt super comfortable during it. I loathe interviews. I feel like it went really well. The lady who interviewed me said "that's exactly what I like to hear/what we're looking for" several times. She had a couple more interviews this week and would let us all know next week if we are moving to second interviews or if they just decided to move forward and hire one of us. I'm feeling optimistic
That's great! Hope you get the next round interview. I am terrible at interviews I feel, so I get it. It's interesting because part of my job function is scheduling for candidates for our departments. I'm also on the lookout for a new opportunity, and if contacted I'll be doing some interview prep.
I know I've mentioned before my FIL/MIL want to pay for the trip, but I don't know if I mentioned that as of right now we've decided on going to Aulani. My FIL put a deposit down on a 2-bedroom villa at Aulani, but my issue with this is that there are 9 of us going, so one couple ends up in the living room and that couple will either be myself and my DH or my BIL/BIL. None of us are ok with that scenario. If we all had our own rooms it wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not ok with having to sleep in the living room with a bunch of other people around. So my DH and I discussed just paying for our own room (either renting DVC points from a company I won't name or renting points from his co-worker if he has the points) and if we do that then I'll need to up my budget. We also still need to discuss this with his parents, because I don't want to hurt their feelings if we pay for our own room. T
I wouldn't do the living room plan either.
We have a very, very old sleep number we need to retire. We got it more than 20 years ago, too old for a mattress. It was pricey at the time, I think we got it in 2000. I'm not sure what we'll eventually replace it with.

A small trip report for DLR: Spring break was great, except day one as I expected I wasn't feeling well at all. Not sick as in a virus, but day one for me many times when I travel is usually tough due to some medical issues. I don't know why exactly, and won't get into all the symptoms. Thankfully I took Bonine and Aleve and several hot showers, didn't eat but fruit and water for a day, and lay low not doing much at all but sticking to the hotel. Next day, I got a massage at the Tenaya Spa. I just read a recent article after we got back about the apparent stone and all that. Anyway, when you get in it was very hushed and mellow, you're asked to pick a stone that calls to you from a bunch of stones and place it on a rock. I picked the clay-colored rock because I hate sparkly things and I'm drawn to the plainer color, but apparently it's because I am guided by communication and understanding, or some such reason according to the rock choice. Well, no, actually I just liked the color, was also debating on the black stone but went with the solid red clay, lol. I thought that part was to me like, sure, ok whatever but I'll participate. I don't think this rock called to me. But once inside in the back, well - the spa is pretty amazing, I loved the relaxing area and if I can like a shower, then yes, add that right on. After the massage, within hours I started to feel better and finally kicked everything. I was really glad I booked it for the day after arrival. At the park, the rides were notoriously breaking down. We ate at the Blue Bayou even though the Pirates ride wasn't going, and it was actually a pretty good lunch which I surprised, since I didn't see raving reviews, but we liked it. Our other places were Carnation Cafe and the Craftsman, and the bowling place in Downtown Disney. Other than that, we just did quick service. We really like Guardians, I'd like HS to switch out the ToT theming. We are planning to check out the new coaster later in summer.

n non job related news, my 6 year old broke her wrist (again) during my 5 year old's birthday party Sunday. Monday we went for x-rays at urgent care. Yesterday we saw the ortho and got it casted. I can't wait to start getting those bills in. We go back next week for follow up x-rays to make sure nothing has moved, but she has 4 weeks in the cast to look forward too. Poor girl is missing her entire soccer season. She's in good spirits though so I'll call it a win?

so sorry to hear about your little one-hope she mends quickly. that said-i want to take a moment to share some information i learned this past week that might be as edifying/surprising to others as it was to us re. medical bills.

my oldest had planned surgery a week ago with what i consider to be very good insurance in place (esp. when i look at what the premium is as compared to what we've historically paid). so the first stop at the hospital for check in entailed a stop at registration during which they hand us a booklet that includes information pertaining to billing as well as the hospital and their affiliated providers 'financial assistance policy'. i was AMAZED at how generous these programs are-a sliding scale that allows for a single person to make as much as $67,950 per year and receive a 70 percent discount on even the AFTER insurance covered costs (covers copay's, deductibles, all costs). i quickly realized my kiddo qualifies for 100 percent discount so the close to $3000 that we anticipated would be the out of pocket was wiped out entirely. in looking through their income chart further i see that a family of 4 can make over $138,000/a family of 5 over $162,000 per year and still qualify for at minimum that 70 percent discount. the booklet also provided a list of phone numbers for other area hospitals, labs and provider groups to access information on their individual assistance programs.

with the insane cost of medical care these days it may be well worth it to explore what financial assistance programs are available for even routine appointments and tests let alone planned for/unplanned major needs. i was always aware that our local hospital would give a 10 percent discount on patient responsibility billings if paid in full w/in 30 days of billing but i had no idea they have such generous programs that can entirely wipe out significant costs (easy application w/ just the most recent w-2 sufficing for proof of income).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter