Debt Dumpers 2024

On a budgetary note. I just did my budget for the next 2 weeks. Created individual sheets for each of category to keep track of all expenses. Earlier, I just created a category and would just take away from the budgeted total without making note of which debit it was. As a result, I'd lose track of what expenses I had tracked. So, this makes it easier. Got every penny accounted for. (bills, groceries, tolls/gas, savings/emergency fund, eating out and miscellaneous). I will pray about it, and we'll see how it goes tracking down to the penny. Hoping and praying we can get this thing in focus.

As a side note, I've began my shopping/meal planning. I found a bag of precooked chicken at Walmart we might try. They're grilled breasts. So might try those to see how we do. We can take 2-3 out at a time and cook those and not have any leftovers. Of course, I'll still be careful handling them, but maybe we can cut down our food wastes.

Thanks everyone for the help, tips, advice, words of comfort, etc. It's frustrating to be an old guy (48) and set in my ways as I am, especially as far as germs and stuff like that. So thanks everyone.

Last edited:
But I am truly a germaphobe, and I don't know how to fix it short of just dealing with it. Same reason I won't touch the trash. AT ALL!!! I'll wash dishes, sweep, mop, vacuum, anything. I don't touch trash, and I won't clean the bathroom.

Maybe that’s why your wife wants you to get counseling. Living with someone like that can be very challenging. My initial impression was your wife was being difficult & sabotaging the debt paying efforts. But maybe she’s just frustrated & countering your issues with her own.

WDW_fan_in_TX

Well done Hon.
Watching where the money goes and making changes is great.
Actually having it written down so you can review it is also a great step in the right direction.

Food ,,, From someone who also struggles with it's production (like where it's grown) to storage and prep I can say you are making giant steps even considering making changes. I know it's not easy.

No one knows what people with different food issues go through until one day they are faced with an issue.

Keep on swimming Hon

Hugs Mel

I do. It has to be antibacterial. So I only use Palmolive because it's antibacterial. Same thing with soap in the bathroom. I use antibacterial soap in the shower too. Just trying to make sure I get all germs off me and all surfaces. I clean my phone with a Lysol wipe just about every day as well. We use laundry sanitizer in every single load of laundry. That just gives you an idea of phobic I am of germs, lol.

Antibacterial soaps are part of the reason we have antibiotic resistant bacteria. I spent over 44 years as a hospital based RN. Except for before surgical procedures, even hospitals don’t use antibacterial soap. Plain old soap & water are all you need. Even for most laundry. You will never get all bacteria off yourself. The human body doesn’t work that way. Many bacteria are “normal flora” & needed for the body’s functioning. You really might benefit from talking to your medical provider at least about this fear of germs. This is really impacting your finances, especially paying for extra sanitizers, special soaps you don’t need. Plus, just reducing your anxieties about it will make life more enjoyable. You really don’t need to just live with feeling this way.

Last edited:

Lots of things like soups and curries taste BETTER the next day!

absolutly-there are stews and some other dishes my family prefers to eat a day later vs. the day it's prepared.
I found a bag of precooked chicken at Walmart we might try. They're grilled breasts. So might try those to see how we do. We can take 2-3 out at a time and cook those and not have any leftovers. Of course, I'll still be careful handling them, but maybe we can cut down our food wastes.

those are very versitile-we use them in wraps, on salads or served with veggies as an entree. i've taken to trying different prepared items at walmart (deli section) and then making our own for much less. their website lists what is on each of the wraps and salads they sell so it's easy to gather the ingredients (or just get ideas for new ones to make on your own). i keep the ingredients for one of their salads that i'm addicted to on hand BUT if i still was still working and taking a lunch each day-$2.97 for a salad that has protein is a very good value (buying at a local deli or grocery store near us would have you paying a minimum of double/likely triple).

@WDW_fan_in_TX I have OCD and it really required professional help to tackle it. In fact it still affects me every day, just to a lesser extent than it used to impact me. So I also recommend that you seek out someone to speak to regarding your serious phobia. It certainly couldn't hurt so you might as well try!

Week 11

2024 Financial Goals

1. Pay off my credit cards and car loan in 2 years by using the debt avalanche. Payday Friday! I paid an extra $350 towards my Q Card balance instead of replenishing my baby emergency fund at my regular bank. Next payday is the 3rd check of the month and I will put it back at that time.

2. Increase my monthly payments to my husband for household expenses by $800 a month beginning in May and open a joint checking account where we will each contribute monthly. We figured giving me until May to sock some extra cash into my checking would be a good idea since my personal loan is now paid off and that was sucking $1000 off the top of my paycheck once a month. Snoozed until May. I will pay my husband $300 extra in April and begin paying him the full extra amount beginning in May.

3. Set aside $285 per month from January-June to cover the cost of our hotel for our anniversary trip in July to Monterey. $285 more into my HYSA (3/6)

4. Begin paying for our 2025 spring break cruise to Mexico in March. Payments will be $450 a month from March-December. (1/10)

5. Continue using the YNAB app and website to track my money daily. I'm still tracking my money the old fashioned way with a register but I really like the budgeting aspect of YNAB and am getting more and more used to it. I haven't reconciled yet today - it's become a Friday habit but I was too busy today. (11/52)

2024 Personal Goals

1. Finish deep cleaning and organizing my kitchen. My husband is basically the Swedish Chef so he makes quite a mess when he cooks. I appreciate the fact that he does all of the cooking but it's a lot to keep on top of TBH. I need to do a better job and put in more effort. I will track this weekly. My sister and her family will be arriving in a couple of weeks. I have about 10 days to turn this around. (5/52)

2. Once I feel like my kitchen is back under control I'll transition to organizing my clothes that are in boxes in our bedroom. I will tackle this at least one of the days of my weekend. Snoozed.

3. Reorganize and deep clean my bathroom. I have too much on the countertop and need to make use of the cabinets in a more organized manner. Snoozed.

4. By July I'd like to be at the point I can begin to tackle my boxes that are still unpacked in the garage. I had a storage unit for years and now they're just sitting untouched since we moved into the house 3 years ago. Snoozed.

5. In August I'd like to make my stepson's room into a workout room. He's a senior in high school this year and he'll be starting college next fall. He's only staying over 1 or 2 nights a week at most at this point since he lives with his mom so I don't feel I'll be booting him out or anything. I am at my highest weight ever and I honestly don't even know what that is since I'm scared to get on the scale. I can have all of the DVDs and online workouts in the world but they do no good if you don't use them. I think having a space set aside will really help me out. Snoozed. Suddenly not snoozed! Still waiting for my BODi bike... ⏲️

6. Get my passport at some point this year to be ready for the cruise in 2025. This probably won't happen for at least a few months.

7. I came up with a new goal. Get back to baking on a weekly basis. This will begin when my kitchen is 'done'. JK, I know a kitchen is never truly caught up on. Snoozed until I cross #1 off of my list.

Enjoy your weekends everyone! 😍

I just joinedd it. I've got all my expenses put on, but I can't figure out how to add whenever I spend. I might try and google or YT it and see if I can figure it out. But I've been using my spreadsheet like I did for the past 4 weeks.
Check out these site for help in how to use the app and track your expenses:
https://everydollar.help.ramseysolu...0037958532-How-to-Manually-Track-Transactions
https://everydollar.help.ramseysolu...360032786691-Getting-started-with-EveryDollar

I hate rental car companies and their stupid expensive price gouging because it's spring break.

That is all.
Do you have a Costco membership? I find I always get the lowest prices on rental cars by booking through their travel website. I hate most is how all the different states and city’s will add so many taxes to the rentals, you can have a $40 daily rate and end up paying another $30 in different taxes.

Do you have a Costco membership? I find I always get the lowest prices on rental cars by booking through their travel website. I hate most is how all the different states and city’s will add so many taxes to the rentals, you can have a $40 daily rate and end up paying another $30 in different taxes.

I hear ya!

Autoslash has worked for me in the past. Check them out if you haven't already.

I'll keep those in mind, but this rental was 0% planned. Our car broke down, we were an hour from home, and no car rental places were open except the airport at that time. We had one for the first week but needed to return it (hoping ours would have been fixed by then) and just got lucky we got anything that would fit the 5 of us (2 in car seats) and our stuff for our vacation.

I'm late but I like how this holds me accountable.

Financial Goals
1. Payoff house - COMPLETE
2. Double monthly savings contribution - in progress
3. Save Property taxes and home insurance - in progress

Personal Goal
1. Transition to a low carb and low sugar lifestyle in order to lower 6.5 A1C. First test is the end of March. 2nd test October.
2. Walk 3 miles 3 days a week. Add a day each quarter.
1st quarter- Fail

I hate rental car companies and their stupid expensive price gouging because it's spring break.

That is all.
Check out Autoslash! I have literally changed my rental car while on the runway to MCO to get a better price. It’s free and it’s the best I’ve found for scouring for the lowest priced cars. I only look for ones that have free cancellation so I can make changes until time to pick up the car.

I just joinedd it. I've got all my expenses put on, but I can't figure out how to add whenever I spend. I might try and google or YT it and see if I can figure it out. But I've been using my spreadsheet like I did for the past 4 weeks.

First, way to go on all these steps you are taking! I often think of the song from Bed Knob and Broomsticks "A Step in the Right Direction."

I do not link my bank account. I tried the free option to do that one time and it was a mess. It was just much easier for me to track my spending and to be honest, it made me more invested in the process.

With regards to using the app, if you are on your phone, just tap a category. It should then go to the category and there is a + at the bottom right of the screen that is how you add an expense.

It is the same method online. You just click a category, it shows up on the right side of your browser and then hit the + to add an expense.

It sounds like your spreadsheets are great and really any method that works for you is great. I did use a modified envelop system from Dave Ramsey when we were paying off debt. I would get cash for groceries and that was all I could use. Paying cash really creates friction and makes you think twice.

I'm late but I like how this holds me accountable.

Financial Goals
1. Payoff house - COMPLETE
2. Double monthly savings contribution - in progress
3. Save Property taxes and home insurance - in progress

Personal Goal
1. Transition to a low carb and low sugar lifestyle in order to lower 6.5 A1C. First test is the end of March. 2nd test October.
2. Walk 3 miles 3 days a week. Add a day each quarter.
1st quarter- Fail

Congratulations! Paying off your house is HUGE! Way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter