• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dec. 12 update by CDC on illness on magic

macbasset

Mouseketeer
Today, the CDC posted a new transcript about 25 ill passengers on the magic currently. It sounds like several were sick already when they boarded. This is very interesting to read as they come out and say it is safe to go on these ships. Also, interesting is the fact that authorities in St. Martin gave one cruise a difficult time about letting passengers off a ship that had illness on board. There was mention of other islands in the caribbean also doing this. Here is the link:
http://www.cdc.gov/od/ic/media/transcripts/t021212.htm[/URL]

Barb

For some reason I must have made a mistake in the link. Just click on "In the News" and then you will see the headline for the article on the transcripts. Barb

We will be cruising on the Magic on March 1st, 2003. Just supposing that this virus is still a problem at that time (not an outbreak like we just saw at the end of November when they gave people the opportunity to opt out at the last minute, but a certain number of people still sick on every cruise), would Disney give us the opportunity to cancel our cruise and make reservations to a WDW resort instead if we asked them? It is certainly not our intention to change our plans at the moment, but there is so much money involved (we are Canadians...) that I would hate to go on the cruise if I felt that the time was not right, if you know what I mean. And I have until 60 days before the cruise to cancel/change my reservations without any penalty, which means only 10 days left...

Any thoughts on that?

I would be very surprised if Disney allowed you to cancel at the last minute unless there was another outbreak situation. If they allowed everyone to cancel at the last minute because the previous cruise had 25 people sick on it then basically they would have to do away with their entire cancellation policy because it seems from reports that there are always a certain number of people who are sick on board. My guess is that the number goes up during times of year when things are "going around" (like this time of year). You should probably decide at the 60 day mark if you wish to cancel. I would likewise make sure to purchace trip insurance. Who knows if at some point Disney will say that because people have known about the possibility of getting sick on a cruise ship for a long time now that it is now the responsibility of the customer to purchase trip insurance rather than all of the refunds and freebies that Disney has been giving away.

Lisa

Meghan,
At this point Disney seems to have this problem under control and unless the number of sick people drastically increases again (heaven forbid!), I don't believe that DCL will offer/allow changes as Lisa said.
Having 25 out of about 2500 people is a very small percent and if many of them were ill when they came on the ship, it is not likely DCL's fault.

Don't worry, take precautions (washing hands often, use Purell) and I am sure it will be fine!
Cathy

In response to people getting on board if they are already sick. In a way, Disney is at fault, because there is no way to cancel a trip if one is ill. Unfortunately, this puts all of the passengers at risk because obviously this virus is very contagious. The airlines are just as guilty of this. I have no solution to this problem, however, statistically when you gather such a large number of people together, a small percentage is going to be sick or be getting sick.

With the purchase of appropriate trip insurance, you can cancel and many times people do. Sure you take a financial hit (sometimes big, sometimes not so big), but the option is there.

Meghan,

As you are probably well aware that 9 hospitals in the TDot have been closed down, and now are warning of the virus going thru the schools now.

As everybody keeps saying, keep washing your hands.

Mine are so chapped because of it!

Disney seems to be doing the proper thing!

Scratch
:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter