December 5th through 9th completely sold out?

zillow

Mouseketeer
Is this usual? I know that this is a popular time for people to go but I didn't realize it was that popular! I called on Wednesday and MS said that All DVC resorts were sold out for that time...I was just trying to see if I could surprise my aunt with better accomodations than the package she booked at All Star Movies.
Anyone else surprised by this?

Not me. That week often sells out - often by the preceding July or August. We've already had several reports of members wondering if their waitlist for days during that week will come through.

Best wishes -

Oh, yah. Very busy indeed.

I just called for 4 nights in a studio - 12/1-12/5 and was lucky to get 2 and waitlisted for the other 2. That was at SSR and all the others were sold out. She had 3 nights when we were talking and lost one while we were talking :-(

Wow. I've read numerous places that the first week of December was one of the deadest weeks to go to wdw. That is the week that we're thinking of going next year. maybe need to rethink that.

crissy

fun2bmomof3 said:
Wow. I've read numerous places that the first week of December was one of the deadest weeks to go to wdw. That is the week that we're thinking of going next year. maybe need to rethink that.

crissy
It's a good time to go because of low crowds but a very popular time for DVC members.

I remember in 2003, I called for a studio at 10 months and 3 weeks (how could I have forgotten my 11 month date?). At that time, studios were already sold out at all but 2 resorts for that week-fortunately the resort I wanted was one of the two that had availability. So I'm not surprised at all.

While it is a low crowd time at WDW, it is probably THE MOST popular time for DVC on-site resorts. This is that time when day by day ressies are needed for things like GVs at the 11 month mark, and standard view at BWV are very difficult to get after 11 months. You might try going on a wait list, but you would probably have better luck getting a 1 or 2 bedroom than a studio.

fun2bmomof3 said:

crissy

Oh no - it's just the DVC that is very busy because the points are so low and it's so great to be there that time of year. You should still consider it to be a low season overall for park activity. Certainly lower than Oct and May

Thanks for the reassurances.
Also it's good to know that I need to book at the 11 month window for a grand villa. We're going to do a vow renewal through Disney Fairytale weddings so I want the trip to be perfect.

Thanks

crissy

I think it must be from when I was living in Tampa - - but I hate FLA from Dec - March... it's almost like I can feel the cold in my bones!! I think I must have been emotionally scarred or something!!!

Florida always has been an end of March, April, May, Sept, Oct kind of place to me.

I guess my point is that while I logically understand low points, less crowds... it needs to be "swimable" for me to go...

SueOKW said:
I think it must be from when I was living in Tampa - - but I hate FLA from Dec - March... it's almost like I can feel the cold in my bones!! I think I must have been emotionally scarred or something!!!

Florida always has been an end of March, April, May, Sept, Oct kind of place to me.

I guess my point is that while I logically understand low points, less crowds... it needs to be "swimable" for me to go...

For a Canuck, December is amazing weather. We'll still swim in December in Orlando no problem -- have a nice warm towel when you get out and no problem.... I guess relatively speaking this is like late August/September for us.

Last year we closed the pool at our house on Oct 23, we'd had our first snow by Halloween. We swam right up until closing day (of course our gas bill for the pool heater was insane but that's a different matter.)

Aside from the weather this is when all the Christmas stuff really starts... MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, etc... For those of us that want a Disney Christmas plus a regular Christmas, early December is amazing.

(PS. We have not bought DVC yet but I think this year I might convince the DH that we love WDW enough that it really doesn't make a lick of difference whether it's the "best" deal or not -- we both have a blast at WDW so it's the way to go.)

Yes, it is all relative - personal choice too. One year I went in Feb got an ear infection from swimming and nearly burst an ear drum on the way home!! another emotionally scarring disney moment! :rotfl:

I've also thought how beautiful it must be at that time of year too.... maybe someday when I don't crave sun. ... that's it - i'm in Cleveland!! It's not warmth I crave - it's sun and lots of it! Mystery solved.

It's not that surprising that the resorts are fully booked. When DVC announces that a resort is "sold out", they are sold up to 96% occupancy. I don't know what the "shrinkage" is (points used elsewhere, points wasted, points DVC has repurchased but not yet resold), but I would expect the average occupancy at DVC resorts is 80-85%. So it's not that great a increase for them to be completely booked at popular times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter