• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December January & February Park Hours Update Watch/Discussion

Good to know updates COULD still be coming today. Going 12/10-14 and hoping for some earlier mornings!

Yeah, with the exception of Disney making a surprise announcement about any special-runs of EMHs or extra park hours around RotR opening (which I really hope they do...9am-9pm, really?!?!), I think the Dec folks may be waiting awhile for more updates.

Yeah, with the exception of Disney making a surprise announcement about any special-runs of EMHs or extra park hours around RotR opening (which I really hope they do...9am-9pm, really?!?!), I think the Dec folks may be waiting awhile for more updates.
Do they ever have early morning magic for HS? I never really pay attn to this... but what if they decided to not extend and have you pay for the early access to RotR. But agreed, 9-9 is terrible for peak park season in Dec. with a new land/holidays. They have to want to spread the crowds some.

Wonder if WDW is waiting to make sure ROTR is a go for Dec 5th before announcing time changes for HS?

Also, chances Smuggler's Run goes to FP at the time of ROTR opening?

Pure speculation, I know.

So Saturday 12/7 is a non party day at MK with hours extended 8am-midnight. How bad do we think it’ll be in the AM?! We’d be Ruing to about noon cause we fly out later that day.

Last edited:
So Saturday 12/7 is a non party day with hours extended 8am-midnight. How bad do we think it’ll be in the AM?! We’d be RDing to about noon cause we fly out later that day.

I am guessing you are referring to Magic Kingdom... The entire first week of December has early closures due to parties and special events with the exception of Wednesday and Saturday. I would expect those 2 days to be slammed. If I had to pick a time it would be in the morning, yes...

I am guessing you are referring to Magic Kingdom... The entire first week of December has early closures due to parties and special events with the exception of Wednesday and Saturday. I would expect those 2 days to be slammed. If I had to pick a time it would be in the morning, yes...
I edited it! Yes MK! Fingers crossed we can get a bunch done first thing

Does anyone know why AK is closing at 6 PM on Dec 10 & 11? I’m wondering if there is a special event going on or if there’s a chance the hours might be extended. We’ll be at AK on Dec 11 and we’ll make it work if we need to, but a couple more evening hours would be nice!

I edited it! Yes MK! Fingers crossed we can get a bunch done first thing
we had the same decision for our last day, Dec 7, which we historically finish at MK. I think HS will be the most busy park Sat with RotR, but MK maybe the 2nd busiest, and given the late hrs, maybe a lot of people from other parks hopping to MK later in the day. As PP mentioned, there's a lot of party nights at MK 1st week of Dec., I think Sat 11/30 has normal hours and then the midnight EMH on Wed, and the rest of the week are filled with parties. Meaning a lot of people are going to target MK on Wed 12/4 and Sat 12/7 (non park hopping guests, chance to see HEA, etc.).

Rope drop MK, always seems to be the most efficient, though, so hopefully it works out for you. We have to leave by noon for our ME flight apmt, so changed from MK to AK since it has EMH 8am. Think for this week, AK will generally be the least busy with it's crappy hrs and nothing new except the new holiday decor (HS has GE, EP has CP and storytelling).

Last edited:
Wonder if WDW is waiting to make sure ROTR is a go for Dec 5th before announcing time changes for HS?

Also, chances Smuggler's Run goes to FP at the time of ROTR opening?

Pure speculation, I know.
just my opinion, but I think RotR will be on schedule. It does seem like a lot of grand openings get delayed (i.e. ROL). But they announced a specific date after they announced the target late Fall opening. And this opening is more critical than other previous ones. Even the last earnings call, Iger specially discussed the 12/5 opening with the analysts, and the impact it will have for the qtr. And they'd do everything they can to not disappoint bookings specifically for RotR. They probably have it ready now or near ready and running test runs.

As for the SR FP- that would sure be nice. I think they had FP right away for FoP and NRJ. But I wonder if having FP for SR would be perceived as a cause for even more of a jam of people heading to RotR initially. Wish they'd do something with the tiering at HS. My typical is SDD, Star Tours, and Frozen... more pathetic than EP. Please go back to moving rides like ToT to tier 2, maybe eventually RnR and TSM too once SR and RotR are on board (we don't go on Alien).

just my opinion, but I think RotR will be on schedule. It does seem like a lot of grand openings get delayed (i.e. ROL). But they announced a specific date after they announced the target late Fall opening. And this opening is more critical than other previous ones. Even the last earnings call, Iger specially discussed the 12/5 opening with the analysts, and the impact it will have for the qtr. And they'd do everything they can to not disappoint bookings specifically for RotR. They probably have it ready now or near ready and running test runs.

As for the SR FP- that would sure be nice. I think they had FP right away for FoP and NRJ. But I wonder if having FP for SR would be perceived as a cause for even more of a jam of people heading to RotR initially. Wish they'd do something with the tiering at HS. My typical is SDD, Star Tours, and Frozen... more pathetic than EP. Please go back to moving rides like ToT to tier 2, maybe eventually RnR and TSM too once SR and RotR are on board (we don't go on Alien).

I agree. I'm pretty sure I've read one of the mods posts somewhere that RotR has been ready for several months and has just been testing ever since. I could be mistaken.

Agreed should be on schedule. I know in a very recent if not the most recent Tim Tracker video he said they sent out media invites for the opening.

I literally pack 4 of everything (that includes summer, fall and winter clothes, as well as appropriate shoes to go with each outfit!) I froze my behind off last year the week after Thanksgiving, and I’ll once again be prepared with multiple layers (upon layers!!) Hey, you never know!!! 😂

Yes this! We always bring those magic gloves, some sort of hat or ear covering and scarf, along with a turtleneck, sweatshirt and hoodie jacket to layer. Even then we have been freezing at night.

We have packed thermal underwear just in case it gets really really cold. We have experienced 40 degrees after dark in December so it happens! But it's fun, especially on an EMH night when everyone is too cold to stay in the park.

Yes this! We always bring those magic gloves, some sort of hat or ear covering and scarf, along with a turtleneck, sweatshirt and hoodie jacket to layer. Even then we have been freezing at night.

We have packed thermal underwear just in case it gets really really cold. We have experienced 40 degrees after dark in December so it happens! But it's fun, especially on an EMH night when everyone is too cold to stay in the park.

😂 yes!!!! I’m happy it’s not just me! Everyone laughs at me when I wear layers to go out at night! Everyone says it’s Florida, you don’t need that many layers! But I am always cold to begin with, so the more the merrier for me! I started packing yesterday and I am already struggling to shut my suitcase! I am not even close to being finished!!!! 😬😬😬

Does anyone know why AK is closing at 6 PM on Dec 10 & 11? I’m wondering if there is a special event going on or if there’s a chance the hours might be extended. We’ll be at AK on Dec 11 and we’ll make it work if we need to, but a couple more evening hours would be nice!

Last year, Pop Warner had an after hour party there on a Wednesday night - which could be what is going on this year on December 11th. Not sure about December 10th because the paid after hour event seems to only be on Saturday night. I agree - a little more evening hours would be nice for that park those nights.

Last year, Pop Warner had an after hour party there on a Wednesday night - which could be what is going on this year on December 11th. Not sure about December 10th because the paid after hour event seems to only be on Saturday night. I agree - a little more evening hours would be nice for that park those nights.

That makes sense about Pop Warner. I wonder if they have both days booked for after hours parties this year?

😂 yes!!!! I’m happy it’s not just me! Everyone laughs at me when I wear layers to go out at night! Everyone says it’s Florida, you don’t need that many layers! But I am always cold to begin with, so the more the merrier for me! I started packing yesterday and I am already struggling to shut my suitcase! I am not even close to being finished!!!! 😬😬😬

Gloves, we always pack gloves in December, they are not easy to find in Florida! We learned the hard way on a trip one year where it was colder in FL than it was at home in CT for a few days in early December. The poinsettias that they plant outside were dying!

Gloves, we always pack gloves in December, they are not easy to find in Florida! We learned the hard way on a trip one year where it was colder in FL than it was at home in CT for a few days in early December. The poinsettias that they plant outside were dying!

Probably the best advice I have seen on here about December that gets overlooked easily. They are so hard to find there. I always bring gloves and a beanie.

One time my mom and I went in early December. I brought gloves because the temps looked cold for night. My mom laughed at me. Guess who was buying gloves? They put them out on the counter, just like they do ponchos when it rains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter