Delta Basic Economy Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendie

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Man, airlines have changed a LOT since we last flew nearly three years ago! Trying to book a flight for late January and not get nickel and dimed to death in the process.

Delta has Basic Economy flights that meet our scheduling needs perfectly, but I had a few concerns. It says that we can't pick our seats and will be seated last. Is it possibly that not everyone in our party will get a seat?

There is just three of us and my husband is super worried that they will split us up. How likely is that? Is there a chance my 7 year old would end up sitting with strangers?

If anyone else could chime in on flying Delta Basic with 3+ people, I'd appreciate it!

On Basic, you will be split up. Likely, all in middle seats throughout the plane. That's the way it should be for the discount received. Go up one level to Main Cabin and you'll be able to select seats, etc. You'll also have a leg to stand on if you need to argue for a couple of seats together. The Main cabin fare is worth it.

This is from Delta's website (bolding is mine):

With Some RESTRICTIONS

With Basic Economy, you will not receive a seat assignment until after check-in or at the gate. Passengers traveling together, including families, may not be seated together. You will not be eligible for same-day changes or ticket refunds after the Risk Free Cancellation Period. You will board in the last zone and not be eligible for paid or complimentary upgrades or preferred seats, even with Medallion® Status.

A Basic economy ticket does not have a specific flight. If you like that flight, just choose regular economy and you will be on the same plane!

I am not even seeing regular economy on Orbitz.

But that seals the deal. Definitely not risking our 7 year old being on a completely different plane. Good grief!

On Basic, you will be split up. Likely, all in middle seats throughout the plane. That's the way it should be for the discount received. Go up one level to Main Cabin and you'll be able to select seats, etc. You'll also have a leg to stand on if you need to argue for a couple of seats together. The Main cabin fare is worth it.

This is from Delta's website (bolding is mine):

With Some RESTRICTIONS

With Basic Economy, you will not receive a seat assignment until after check-in or at the gate. Passengers traveling together, including families, may not be seated together. You will not be eligible for same-day changes or ticket refunds after the Risk Free Cancellation Period. You will board in the last zone and not be eligible for paid or complimentary upgrades or preferred seats, even with Medallion® Status.

I understand that and read that myself, I was just wondering how likely it is to happen, especially when traveling with a child under the age of 8.

I was under the impression that Delta basic economy guarantees a seat on the flight, but not a particular seat. Is this wrong?

If it is important fir you to know you will be seated together pay for assigned seats. Don’t buy the cheapest and expect airlines to move others for you who PAID MORE for an assigned seat.

It CLEARLY states families may be split up- can’t be more clear than that. They can split you up and state that. They don’t care how old snowflake is- if it is that concerning to you pay for a minimal two assigned seats.

I’m sorry that wording isn’t nice but if you’re worried about it this much you need to pay. No law states parents have to sit with kids. It is selfish to buy cheapest thing and expect others to move. I am not saying you’re asking that but some people do.

I understand that and read that myself, I was just wondering how likely it is to happen, especially when traveling with a child under the age of 8.

Very likely, even with a child under 8. If being seated with a child is a necessity, choose the higher fare and pick your seats.

I was under the impression that Delta basic economy guarantees a seat on the flight, but not a particular seat. Is this wrong?

I'm guessing the Basic Economy fares are among the first to be booted in an oversold situation.

They will almost undoubtedly split you up, OP. Be prepared for middle seats, and don't think people will move to accommodate your party. Listen to the warnings and do not purchase if you don't accept them.

But that seals the deal. Definitely not risking our 7 year old being on a completely different plane. Good grief!

I believe that poster misinterpreted what you were saying by "Basic Economy flights" – there are no FLIGHTS that are Basic Economy, but there are SEATS on flights that are Basic Economy. It's not a random plane chance.

I'm guessing the Basic Economy fares are among the first to be booted in an oversold situation.
I wouldn’t expect that to play any role in “getting booted.” Anyone who is “involuntarily denied boarding” is entitled to a cash (real paper money) payment. They’ll ask for volunteers long before it gets to that point.

Go to Delta's website and search there. I think you'll have better luck there than on Orbitz.

You can book a flight using Basic Economy and it will almost always get you on that flight. You'll just have a middle seat. If they are oversold, they'll bump people. They wouldn't bump your child without you, but that is small comfort.

I wouldn’t expect that to play any role in “getting booted.” Anyone who is “involuntarily denied boarding” is entitled to a cash (real paper money) payment. They’ll ask for volunteers long before it gets to that point.

While it’s not the only criteria, it is almost certainly a factor. Delta I think had the least amount of involuntary boarding situations last year (I think I read that) but I would think, given that the fare paid helps to determine the amount of compensation owed in a situation of involuntarily denied boarding, those paying the lowest fares would be among those at risk. No airline that I know of publishes their actual procedures for this but I’m just guessing those with status, paying full fare, business and first class are at less risk than a basic economy ticket. Just my opinion, really but that seems logical to me.

While it’s not the only criteria, it is almost certainly a factor. Delta I think had the least amount of involuntary boarding situations last year (I think I read that) but I would think, given that the fare paid helps to determine the amount of compensation owed in a situation of involuntarily denied boarding, those paying the lowest fares would be among those at risk. No airline that I know of publishes their actual procedures for this but I’m just guessing those with status, paying full fare, business and first class are at less risk than a basic economy ticket. Just my opinion, really but that seems logical to me.
Delta used to publish the order on their website. Fare class is not included in the process. Basically, it comes down to check-in time. Elite status can trump that, and if your prior flight was cancelled, you’d have a higher priority.

Is that necessary?

Might want to quote entire sentence instead of part of it

I didn’t directly call OP child that term. I used in sentence stating the airline doesn’t care how old that child is. It seems the parents who have the most issues and raise the they won’t dare separate us card are those who have snowflakes.

To the OP if I offended YOU I apologize to you...

Delta used to publish the order on their website. Fare class is not included in the process. Basically, it comes down to check-in time. Elite status can trump that, and if your prior flight was cancelled, you’d have a higher priority.

Certainly looks like they’re using some sort of system that values the dollar paid and the time of check in to determine who gets bumped first based on their current contract of carriage. It’s really neither here nor there for me as I primarily fly American and Southwest. Seems like their status members, first and business class are least likely to get bumped, and then those who have checked in. It also clearly says that within each group passengers are accommodated first by class of service and then by check in time so I’m still confident in my opinion that both are in the equation.

084F6788-DAEE-4B34-9FB3-AAA9F21834DF.png 559680F6-874F-4F62-9278-CE621F074630.png

Absolutely book directly on the airline website!

In my experience the lowest "regular" economy fare on Delta has been about $30 more roundtrip (from Boston to Florida) than their "basic" economy no frills fare. Definitely not worth the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter