Delta Basic Economy Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly looks like they’re using some sort of system that values the dollar paid and the time of check in to determine who gets bumped first based on their current contract of carriage. It’s really neither here nor there for me as I primarily fly American and Southwest. Seems like their status members, first and business class are least likely to get bumped, and then those who have checked in. It also clearly says that within each group passengers are accommodated first by class of service and then by check in time so I’m still confident in my opinion that both are in the equation.
First and Business class don’t get oversold, so it’s kind of irrelevant, but those are the only tickets that could be construed to get priority based on price. Class of service is the same as cabin, not the fare class. Those are two different things.

First and Business class don’t get oversold, so it’s kind of irrelevant, but those are the only tickets that could be construed to get priority based on price. Class of service is the same as cabin, not the fare class. Those are two different things.

Yes I understand the difference. I’m just not willing to concede that the only thing that matters is the Order of checking in.

I think delta has a pretty decent system overall for how they handle these situations and it’s usually a moot point because of volunteers.

Yes I understand the difference. I’m just not willing to concede that the only thing that matters is the Order of checking in.

I think delta has a pretty decent system overall for how they handle these situations and it’s usually a moot point because of volunteers.
Will you conceded that fare class is not a factor? It’s not mentioned in the contract. I tried to simplify when I said that check-in was most important, but I still included status and IROPS. The point being that Basic Economy will not cause you to be more likely to be IDB.

While it’s not the only criteria, it is almost certainly a factor. Delta I think had the least amount of involuntary boarding situations last year (I think I read that) but I would think, given that the fare paid helps to determine the amount of compensation owed in a situation of involuntarily denied boarding, those paying the lowest fares would be among those at risk. No airline that I know of publishes their actual procedures for this but I’m just guessing those with status, paying full fare, business and first class are at less risk than a basic economy ticket. Just my opinion, really but that seems logical to me.
Utter rubbish. Most airlines publish passenger priority in the case of idb. No reason to guess (make things up). Go to Delta's website and read the relevant section of the CoA if you want facts.

Will you conceded that fare class is not a factor? It’s not mentioned in the contract. I tried to simplify when I said that check-in was most important, but I still included status and IROPS. The point being that Basic Economy will not cause you to be more likely to be IDB.

Yep! That’s definitely true and I was wrong about that! I’m glad I looked because it educated me as well!

Also, don't buy airfare through Orbitz. Always book directly with the airline.
I seriously cannot LIKE this enough. For airfare, the OTA, (online Travel agents) are not any better than going directly to the airline, and can actually be a hindrance if you encounter a problem such as a mechanical failure/cancellation, or severe weather delays. Call Delta directly!

We're missing the real issue. Passengers without a BP are among the first to be bumped. Delta may wait to issue BPs until basic economy passengers are at the gate. Flight is oversold, without enough no shows, some basic economy passengers won't get a BP and will get bumped. Technically they're getting bumped because they don't have a BP, not because they booked basic economy.

JMO basic economy who are told to get their BP at the gate should get to the gate early.

Last edited:
We're missing the real issue. Passengers without a BP are among the first to be bumped. Delta may wait to issue BPs until basic economy passengers are at the gate. Flight is oversold, without enough no shows, some basic economy passengers won't get a BP and will get bumped. Technically they're getting bumped because they don't have a BP, not because they booked basic economy.

JMO basic economy who are told to get their BP at the gate should get to the gate early.
As far as I can tell, there’s no difference regarding when you can check in between the fare classes. Basic economy should be able to check in at the same time as everyone else. If a seat is not available, you still get a boarding pass; it just won’t have a seat assignment on it. Your check-in time still stands.

Don’t get me wrong; there is a major downside to basic economy. A family will not sit together on this fare. But all the additional fear-mongering is unfounded.

I was wrong. It appears basic economy passengers aren't more likely to get bumped.

Last edited:
So to recap:

Delta Basic Economy tickets guarantee you a seat on the flight of your choice. You will receive a reservation just like anyone who books in another class of flight. There is no guarantee your party will be seated together. In fact, it's highly likely that you'll be spread throughout the back of the plane. Basic Economy passengers are checked in for the flight just like everyone else, via the app or website. You may be assigned a boarding pass at the time you check in (possible, but not likely) or receive your seat assignment(s) at the gate (far more likely).

If a flight is oversold, Delta asks for volunteers at the gate to take a later flight. They offer volunteers varying levels of compensation. Usually, they can find someone who is willing to take a later flight in return for a free meal and a voucher toward future travel.

If I were traveling with my family, I'd book in Main Cabin instead of Basic Economy. Main Cabin fares allow you to select your seats at the time of booking. That way you're sure to be seated with your family!

Good luck with your trip! :-)

A Basic economy ticket does not have a specific flight. If you like that flight, just choose regular economy and you will be on the same plane!

WHAT??? Basic Economy is for the flight you buy it's not a random flight. You just don't get to pre-select a seat!

I am not even seeing regular economy on Orbitz.

But that seals the deal. Definitely not risking our 7 year old being on a completely different plane. Good grief!

Get away from Orbitz. Because when Delta changes the flight time what you discover is that you can't just call Delta you get to call Orbtiz. They are an online TA, do you think they really have customer service? (Trust me they don't!) Book directly on Delta but ignore the bizarre statement that makes it appear your 7 year old will be on a different plane! Book on the airline site directly. This is true for ALL airlines!

I was under the impression that Delta basic economy guarantees a seat on the flight, but not a particular seat. Is this wrong?

No, this is correct LOL!

OK now that we have created LOTS of hysteria over the poster getting bumped.... I fly Delta all the time. Delta will offer cash and someone will get off the plane. They don't like involuntary bumping. I would not let that be a consideration. I honestly think in over 20 years of almost weekly travel I have seen 1 or 2 involuntary denied boarding (I have however made a lot of "delta cash" by volunteering to get off)

But. if you MUST sit with your kids/family do NOT book Basic Economy. The airline did not sign on to take care of your kids and will assume you were responsible enough to decide your child could sit alone when you hit the buy button!

Some airlines, evidently not Delta, first bump pax without a seat assignment.

I agree with PP. In general book directly on the airlines website.

Some exceptions. Sometimes, not usually Orlando, an air hotel package is a great deal. Sometimes so good it you can throw away the hotel room and still save.
Sometimes, generally international, an online TA might have a consolidator fare not available on the airlines website.

Some airlines, evidently not Delta, first bump pax without a seat assignment.

I agree with PP. In general book directly on the airlines website.

Some exceptions. Sometimes, not usually Orlando, an air hotel package is a great deal. Sometimes so good it you can throw away the hotel room and still save.
Sometimes, generally international, an online TA might have a consolidator fare not available on the airlines website.

A few years ago I was on a flight and everyone was already seated on the plane. The pilot came on and said he needed to add extra fuel because of a storm we had to fly around. A couple minutes later, the gate agent came on and said he needed 4 people to volunteer to give up their seats due to weight and balance. This wasn't a regional, it was a 737, which surprised me that it would have weight issues due to extra fuel. It was Pittsburgh to Houston, we weren't flying around the world. Anyway, no one volunteered. So the gate agent came back and said the last 4 to check-in would need to get off. He called out their names and that was it, they got off peacefully (who knows what would happen today).

Does anyone know if you can still use RAC if you have a Delta Economy seat purchased?

RAC has nothing to do with airline seating. RAC is a WDW service not an airline service.

RAC has nothing to do with airline seating. RAC is a WDW service not an airline service.

Thank you...yes, I realize that but I had read that there were some exceptions to RAC even if you were flying a participating airline and was wondering if the economy seats were one of these exceptions.

Thank you...yes, I realize that but I had read that there were some exceptions to RAC even if you were flying a participating airline and was wondering if the economy seats were one of these exceptions.
This is a very old thread, and you will probably get better results by starting a new thread, that pertains to this subject directly. More people will see it. I am closing this one down since it is basically done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter