Delta - so expensive!

What also stinks are the annual fee increases! We have the platinum.

Delta credit card annual fee increases

Before detailing the enhancements that American Express announced to its co-branded Delta cards on Thursday, it’s worth noting that they’re bundled with an annual fee increase. Here’s what you can expect as new annual fees on all six Delta credit cards:
  • Delta Reserve and Delta Reserve Business: $650 annually, up from $550
  • Delta Platinum: $350 annually, up from $250
  • Delta Gold: $150 annually, up from $99
However, if you opened an account before Feb. 1, 2024, the new annual fee won’t go into effect until your next renewal date on or after May 1, 2024.
Direct link
I just down graded from Reserve to Gold. I tried unsuccessfully to book flights. Despite seeing there are definitely seats on the flights I wanted I was getting an error so I called. The rep explained they were not allowing companion tickets on that flight and to try another one. I don’t want to use it for a flight that doesn’t suit my needs. I feel it makes it worthless.

I just down graded from Reserve to Gold. I tried unsuccessfully to book flights. Despite seeing there are definitely seats on the flights I wanted I was getting an error so I called. The rep explained they were not allowing companion tickets on that flight and to try another one. I don’t want to use it for a flight that doesn’t suit my needs. I feel it makes it worthless.
I agree that is why I downgraded plus we always have at least 3 if not more tickets and they wouldn't let us book it all on the same reservation.

I only fly Delta, it’s worth the price for us. We fly out of MSP so there are always flights available. I love their change/cancel policies. I just moved a DVC stay back a day next month and was able to change 2 tickets in 2 minutes on the app. Always great service with them. After reading all the nightmare travel others experience, I’m sticking with them.

Flying out of MSP, it isn't like we have a ton of choices :) But yes, we've had pretty good luck with them over the years, and since its what we fly, its been easy for my husband, who travels on business, to maintain at least Gold status, plus the free bags with the credit card - we took my youngest out to college with SIX free suitcases. I am not above searching for airfare and flying something else when it fits our needs (schedule, budget) better, however.

I'm trying to book airfare for my June trip and I just can't believe how expensive Delta is right now! A 2-hour flight from Cincinnati to Orlando is around $600! I have a companion ticket that I must use, so they've got me. The discount airlines are around $400, so Delta is still better with the free ticket.

Just wanted to vent more than anything. But, I take it everyone else on these boards trying to book summer travel is seeing the same thing?
maybe this will help you feel better....Presidents week from Hartford to Orlando, 2 & 1/2 hour trip, $1024 per person ...

If Spirit and Frontier are $400, there must be something going on. Is it the week after school gets out in the area?

Summer has generally been high this year for all flight prices, but $400 for budget airlines surprises me more than $600 on Delta.

This spring we're driving down but only because I'm taking my pup with me to WDW. This fall however we'll be flying.
Most likely Delta. I agree with @crisi , I'll book whatever is the cheapest depending on our luggage needs.

I only fly Delta
I'm also a Delta hub captive (DTW) so the bulk of my flights are on DL. I've mostly maintained status with them, which helps, and after this summer will be 1MM, which gives me permanent Gold. That's convenient, because my business travel tapered off during and after the pandemic, and I'd otherwise be running out my string at the end of this year. That's particularly true given the new qualifying rules.

Just try getting a quote for an international flight, say to Europe, right now. Be sitting down when doing so.
You can still sometimes find some good deals. I scored a seat in Premium Select for direct flights to/from Tokyo late spring/early summer for less than the typical coach fare. I caught them on a good day, I guess. Now that's still not "cheap" but it is a good deal.

But I have noticed that Delta's fares have been higher than I might have otherwise expected for a bit now.

We fly out of Atlanta so just try not flying Delta :)
One of my favorite podcast hosts, Richard Kerr, is ATL based but generally flies anyone but Delta. There are other options, just not as many non-stops. You'll have to connect if you fly United or American if you're going anywhere other than on of their hubs.

I've tried looking at Dayton, Louisville, Lexington and they are even higher at $700 ish. It's just shocking.....
We fly out of Louisville and always fly Delta. They are pricier than some of the budget airlines, but we like Delta best, so we always book them. I don't remember ever paying $700 for a basic ticket to Orlando though - keep checking. Make sure you check in "Incognito" mode too because I've heard that once you check prices, it tracks the cookies and won't show you lower prices - don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but it can't hurt to try.

I've heard that once you check prices, it tracks the cookies and won't show you lower prices - don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but it can't hurt to try.
In my experience this is not true. I check often for some routes and see fares fluctuate.

I only fly Delta, it’s worth the price for us. We fly out of MSP so there are always flights available. I love their change/cancel policies. I just moved a DVC stay back a day next month and was able to change 2 tickets in 2 minutes on the app. Always great service with them. After reading all the nightmare travel others experience, I’m sticking with them.
Out of curiosity what would your limit be on how much more you’re willing to pay to fly DL over another main airline? As a hub flyer you have access to better rates than the rest of us on DL.

Out of curiosity what would your limit be on how much more you’re willing to pay to fly DL over another main airline? As a hub flyer you have access to better rates than the rest of us on DL.
TBH I don’t have a limit. I have heard and witnessed so many horror stories about other airlines that I steer clear of them. It has been over a decade since I’ve flown another airline. Delta has always been good to me so they’ve earned my loyalty.

You’re right about the benefit of flying from a hub, not going to lie, it influenced where we moved to last year.

As a hub flyer you have access to better rates than the rest of us on DL.
I'm not sure that's true. It's often the case that other carriers have less expensive fares for many destinations. However, those other carriers almost always require a connection and typically offer relatively few flights each day for a given route. In contrast DL usually offers a variety of non-stop flights and always has many more options if one is willing to connect.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm wiling to pay quite a bit for convenience, but YMMV.

We always fly Delta. We live 10 minutes from CVG and have flow to TPA also. We also have gotten cheaper flights using, Indianapolis, Louisville, Columbus and Lexington.

I'm not sure that's true. It's often the case that other carriers have less expensive fares for many destinations. However, those other carriers almost always require a connection and typically offer relatively few flights each day for a given route. In contrast DL usually offers a variety of non-stop flights and always has many more options if one is willing to connect.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm wiling to pay quite a bit for convenience, but YMMV.
It's definitely not true, depending on the flight and airport. I fly from Detroit, and while Delta offers the most flights, American is frequently cheaper if you're going across the country and willing to connect. Air Canada is usually the cheapest for going overseas.

I still usually go with Delta for shorter flights, but for somewhere like California or Hawaii, you can usually save with other airlines.

True, guess hubs are double edged. Better deals some places but hostage to other places as other airlines don’t compete.

It's like a one hour flight, if that, from Atlanta to Orlando. I can manage to sit anywhere on the plane, in any seat, for that amount of time if the price difference is good enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter