Deluxe Hotels-Sharing buses ???s

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
Hi everyone-
I am planning our 3rd trip to WDW for January 2004. I'll be participating in the 1/2 marathon and we'll be staying there for about a week afterwards. In my planning I am trying to determine which hotels we are interested in booking for the trip and have realized some bus info that I did not otherwise know. I guess I was assuming "deluxe hotel, deluxe price, great transportation" and that seems to be not quite true since most deluxes share boats/buses with other deluxe resorts.

I guess I am trying to figure out the best hotels to stay with the shortest travel times to our favorite parks-MK & MGM. I am thinking of the Contemporary for arrival day (Sat) thru Tues, then switch to another resort (YC, BC) to be closer to MGM. Are the boat rides to MGM from the YC or BC really long? crowded? And how are the buses from these resorts to DtD or AK?

DUring our previous trips we stayed at CBR & ASMo. CBR was not so bad even with all the bus stops even though we ran into the "4 buses in a row for the same park" almost every day. ASMo was another story since most of the buses arrived fairly crowded at different times of the day.

We are looking to avoid the bus/boat crowding situations as much as possible and would appreciate any comments or recommendations-TIA!

You can walk to MGM from either YC, BC, BWI, BWV, Swan and/or Dolphin. BWV are the closest (15 minute walk for the average walker) and the YC/BC the farthest (30 minutes for the average walker).

We've often stayed at the BWV and never found the boats to be crowded, and we've never had to wait for more than one boat. Of course, the exception to that is the boats leaving MGM after Fantasmic. We solved that problem by walking "home" and more often than not, beat the boat.

It takes about 45 minutes for the boats to go between MGM and EPCOT (including stops at Swan/Dophin, YC/BC, and BWV/BWI, in that order). I'd estimate it takes about 30 minutes to get from the YC/BC dock to MGM (including the stop at Swan/Dolphin).

HTH.

I can tell you how the transportation system works... but by Jan of 2004... it'll all be changed again. We're a very dynamic operation, constantly changing.

Just to clarify a common misconception, before I go on... When you pay the premium prices for your resort, you are paying premium prices for a deluxe hotel room, not for transportation. It's based on occupancy. In reality, the All-Stars pay more for transportation than the deluxes.

The week before and after the marathon really aren't that busy. January is always a slow time of year for us, and crowds really aren't that bad.

In the morning, MOD routes are as follows:

Contemporary/Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk
Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk

Routes are adjusted as demand warrants.

After 11am, Routing goes back to:

Contemporary/Polynesian/Grand Floridian
Swan/Dolphin/Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk

The exception is Animal Kingdom, which retains the former routing structure all day long. Although, by 2004, they might all be on the first routing structure. As I said, we're highly dynamic, and always changing.

Thanks Carol & Tyler, as usual my questions have been answered :)

I appreciate all the info in helping us make our choice. I guess my first hope that deluxe price would mean a bus to our resort only is not to be expected no matter what we are paying for a room. That's fine with us now that we understand the process :)

Tyler, I just had one quick question--I think I understand what you are talking about with the bus routing but the following phrase threw me a bit:
"In the morning, MOD routes are as follows:"
What does MOD mean?-sorry for my lack on understanding on this one! I'm sure you'll answer & then I'll go "duh" while smacking the side of my head-lol!

Thanks again-

Originally posted by welovedis
Tyler, I just had one quick question--I think I understand what you are talking about with the bus routing but the following phrase threw me a bit:
"In the morning, MOD routes are as follows:"
What does MOD mean?

MOD = Magic On Demand... it's our demand based dispatching system. Awhile ago, there was a big thread in which I explained in detail everything... it was called MOD & Flex Dispatch Explained or something like that.. if you do a search, you might find it. :)

I appreciate the info & hopefully when the search function is up & running again, I'll be able to find it. :)

Have a good night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter