Denied a DAS pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarnieMouse

Earning My Ears
We're planning to visit Disney World in July and we were hoping to get a DAS pass. My sister has a kidney condition that requires bathroom access at least every 30-45 minutes. Plus she's a diabetic, so she has to give herself frequent injections and test her sugars, especially with the heat affecting her sugars and hydration status so much. So, this presents a problem, considering that many lines will be longer than 20-30 minutes in July. I spoke to the Disability Services hotline and they said there's no "guarantee" that we'll be issued a card. My concern is that if we can't get a card, it's not even worth it to go to Disney World, because my sister won't be able to do much. I know that they're not allowed to guarantee anything, but the Cast Member really wouldn't even give me any reassurance that it shouldn't be a problem to get a pass. Does anybody have any experience with the DAS and medical conditions that require getting out of line and aren't autism or other cognitive-behavioral conditions? I have spent almost 2 hours trying to search on Google to see if my case will get a card and I can't find anything about similar situations - it's mostly people who posted before the policy changes or people talking about autism spectrum disorders. Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Even if you do get a DAS, there's often no guarantee that you could get through the FP line and ride the ride in 20-30 minutes.

You have to be able to explain why you need to wait outside of the stand by line.

My dd was denied at Epcot (heart problems, syncope, heat intolerance) but did get one the next day at MK.

Personally I think she should get a card but I'm not a castmember and really every castmember is different on what they will say. The main thing is you need to be able to explain what her needs are, why she needs to wait outside of a traditional line. I'd say since it's not a mobility issue you should be ok, her problems cannot be solved by renting a scooter or wheelchair. Good luck, I hope you get one :grouphug:

:welcome:
None of us (or anyone on the phone) can guarantee that a DAS will be granted to your sister. She should be prepared to discuss her NEEDS as related to waiting in lines, not her diagnoses. Personally, I'd hope for the best and plan for the worst -- which really can be accomplished fairly well. Our experiences with similar conditions:

DH is diabetic. Your sister should be able to test in lines, if need be she can treat in lines -- I assume she carries glucose tablets or something to treat a low. Take breaks, drink plenty of water so as not to dehydrate (ice water is free at CS locations), maybe head back to your resort mid-day to avoid the hottest part of the afternoon.

DD has a kidney condition and requires frequent bathroom breaks. We stop each time we pass one. We never get in a line without first using the restroom. If your sister is incontinent, she may want to have a "back-up" protection of a pad or such. You need to know that even with a FP+ and the length of the ride, and she may be away from a restroom for close to an hour at times. Some rides themselves are 45 minutes long (Ellen's Universe of Energy is one). You will need to plan ahead.

And ultimately, if she finds herself needing to leave a line, she should speak with the CM at the entrance to the line. They may be able to help her when she returns.

Enjoy your vacation!

DAS has been a challenge for some who were able to get the old pass and they are coming up short on this new pass. With that said I would say you have a decent chance. And like the other poster said if you don't get one at one park try again.

Even with a DAS pass you may have longer waits at some rides like Toy Story Mania. I think you have to prepare for worse scenario. The previous poster has given some good suggestions on how to cope with the worse. We went with my mom and she was incontinent and we used diapers and extra padding for her. If a ride had a longer wait we used the restroom just before getting in line. We tried to avoid drinking just before going to longer ride wait queues. She had accidents and we checked her often and cleaned up and started again. Overall, it was never that bad. She had other issues we had to work through, as well. Hubby is a diabetic and we had concerns there, too. It's all manageable, but you need a good plan.

You still have access to fastpass plus and that should help no matter what. There's more to Disney then just the fastpass rides. Enjoy the shows, movies, live street entertainment, parades, fireworks and exhibits more. Maybe, you will have to look at Disney in a different way; so, your sister can have fun there.

Trying to get to the parks early has always proven to be a good strategy. If you are on site use the extra magic hours especially the early time.

My sister is 22. Diapers are not an option for her. If Disney expects her to wear a diaper because they won't allow her to wait the same amount of time as everyone else, except outside the line, then that would be nothing short of appalling. The diaper suggestion makes me want to cry. We're not concerned about wait times; we don't want preferential treatment - we just want to be able to go to Disney World and not have a miserable time because of an uncontrollable medical condition that they could accommodate easily.

I am 30. I have a bladder condition, among other things. Diapers have to be an option for anyone with urinary conditions. It happens - that's why they make Depends.

My DAS is for my bladder-related condition, and I got it relatively simply by explaining what my need was and why it was important that I get to the bathroom before getting on a ride. However, there are long rides (Great Movie Ride, the safari, Ellen's Energy Adventure among others) where you may not be in and out in 30-45 minutes. You may get into a SHORTER line with the DAS, but there's no way you're going to avoid lines entirely.

You may request and possibly get a DAS - and there's no reason not to ask - but you need to have a backup plan for long lines. Further, what happens if you get stuck on a ride? Have a plan, have a backup plan.

My sister is 22. Diapers are not an option for her. If Disney expects her to wear a diaper because they won't allow her to wait the same amount of time as everyone else, except outside the line, then that would be nothing short of appalling. The diaper suggestion makes me want to cry. We're not concerned about wait times; we don't want preferential treatment - we just want to be able to go to Disney World and not have a miserable time because of an uncontrollable medical condition that they could accommodate easily.

Has she tried poise pads? They are pretty much the same as a period pad but are designed to hold more liquid. While the ultimate pad is uber thick its surprisingly comfortable in hot summer heat. (This coming from someone who isn't a fan of pads)

Right after DD was born my bladder control was totally shot and while at first I had the stigma in my head that these were for "old people" I realized that they really aren't that bad.

Also, at 22 I think that she would end up twice as humilated having an accident on her self then she ever would be wearing a pad that no one else would know about or judge her for.

Oh, yeah, I said diapers are not an option because she won't do it. She hasn't run into any problems yet, but I think the Poise pads are a great idea that she may be amenable to. I talked to a CM who said to explain that it's "dangerous" if she can't get to the facilities in a timely fashion. Lol. I don't think we'll be saying it's dangerous though (except it is for infection reasons, which I failed to mention). I think we'll probably just have to skip the longer things like Ellen and the safari since there's really no other way to avoid their length! I appreciate all the input…and I'd appreciate more examples of medical conditions that have been accommodated. Thanks so much!

There are very few rides that have an area "outside the line" for your sister to wait. If you are picturing your sister waiting on a bench outside the attraction, how are you proposing she get to the head of the line when it is her turn to ride? Push through the crowd of people, trailing her family in tow? Using some secret entrance? There just isn't a way to make this happen like that. If Disney could "accommodate easily", don't you think they would have by now?

A previous poster suggested your sister consider adult "diapers" as a possible back up plan. If she doesn't like the idea, then she should plan on lots of bathroom breaks.

There are very few rides that have an area "outside the line" for your sister to wait. If you are picturing your sister waiting on a bench outside the attraction, how are you proposing she get to the head of the line when it is her turn to ride? Push through the crowd of people, trailing her family in tow? Using some secret entrance? There just isn't a way to make this happen like that. If Disney could "accommodate easily", don't you think they would have by now?

A previous poster suggested your sister consider adult "diapers" as a possible back up plan. If she doesn't like the idea, then she should plan on lots of bathroom breaks.

Ummmm…I'm not sure I understand your post or the tone that's attached. The Disney Disability Access Service (DAS) is a card they issue. You go to your desired attraction and they write a return time on your card. Then you can leave the attraction and come back when the return time arrives - then they usually put you through the FastPass line. The DAS allows the family of the guest with the disability to come back at that time with the DAS guest. We wouldn't be trailing her…

Also, you can't just plan on "lots of bathroom breaks" when your necessity is every 30-45 minutes. I don't control this situation and I'm not a victim of her ailment. All I know is that she can't stand in hour-long lines.

Ummmm…I'm not sure I understand your post or the tone that's attached. The Disney Disability Access Service (DAS) is a card they issue. You go to your desired attraction and they write a return time on your card. Then you can leave the attraction and come back when the return time arrives - then they usually put you through the FastPass line. The DAS allows the family of the guest with the disability to come back at that time with the DAS guest. We wouldn't be trailing her…

Also, you can't just plan on "lots of bathroom breaks" when your necessity is every 30-45 minutes. I don't control this situation and I'm not a victim of her ailment. All I know is that she can't stand in hour-long lines.

I'm not the person this comment is directed to but I have to say the person is correct, there is no way for Disney to accommodate, and although I do feel for your sister not wanting to use products at age 22 that are generally used by people much, much older..this is the reality of her situation now, and in accepting it she will have a much less stressful vacation. No one will ever know she is wearing the product, but they will know if she has an accident on a rude or waiting for one. Bathroom breaks and adult diapers or poise pads are just the reality of your life when you have bladder problems, and at some point you just have to bite the bullet and do it. I'm sorry she has to deal with this at such a young age, it can't be easy for her to get used to this.

You do realize that you go to the back of the fastpass + line when you return and depending on the crowd level you can be standing in line over 45 minutes.

Color me confused...you want a DAS but your concern "isn't wait times"? You "can't plan bathroom breaks''?

Other posters are correct. Even if you walk through the FP line without seeing a single other person in it, unless your sister uses the bathroom right before, the whole thing will be pushing at least 20 minutes. Its the walk to the ride, the walk through the line, any sort of preshow, the loading area, and the ride itself. That even on the best of days will push 20-30 minutes.

As far as not being able to plan bathroom breaks, I'm assuming what you're trying to say is that your sister has frequent and urgent bathroom needs. If that's the case, you still can plan for it. You just get in the habit of trying to go as often as necessary, whenever you see a restroom and they are plenty around those parks. Incontinence products are not an "appalling" suggestion, they're a smart one. No one is suggesting your sister pee in the middle of the line into a diaper, they're saying that should there be any sort of accident at least this way she'd have some protection.

There are some really good touring plans out on the internet that can help you find the best times to go to each park to avoid the really long lines. Don't forget to take advantage of the 4+ Fp+ you can get each day!

Oh, yeah, I said diapers are not an option because she won't do it. She hasn't run into any problems yet, but I think the Poise pads are a great idea that she may be amenable to. I talked to a CM who said to explain that it's "dangerous" if she can't get to the facilities in a timely fashion. Lol.

My son has autism and Downs, he is an adult now, age 24. But his biggest DAS condition is bathroom related, too. Not pee accidents though, #2. (sorry for that image! He gets constipated on trips-only- and then all "hell" can break loose, and yes I try and work on this with OTC products, but it is a fine balance, ya know??) I had to explain this in detail, to the CM, and they still hesitated on the DAS (at City Hall, DL). It happens every trip, the first couple of days are ok, then it gets worse as the days go by….. but, it is what it is. And it can be pretty bad, including me buying clothing to wear at the gift shops. I am glad he does not understand what I am saying, when I described it all, for the DAS.

The CM was doubtful it would "help"us, but I insisted that I really thought it would, so they issued it.

I'm always interested in posters who have time limits on waiting in line because of bathroom issues - I wonder how they even get to Disney if they don't live close by. In this case, is the sister driving and stopping every 45 minutes? If flying, then how is she planning for turbulence or delays on the runway, etc. where she may not be able to get up and use the plane's bathroom. just really wondering what happens in these cases.

DD's roommate tours with a DAS because of diabetes. Period. No issues. She lives and works in Orlando so visits frequently. You should not have issues obtaining a DAS if your sister is Diabetic.

DD's roommate tours with a DAS because of diabetes. Period. No issues. She lives and works in Orlando so visits frequently. You should not have issues obtaining a DAS if your sister is Diabetic.

Wrong!!!! We were denied as DAS for my mom both this past Dec and again in late March. She is a very, very brittle insulin dependent diabetic whose blood sugar frequently drops very suddenly for no reason. She has passed out more than once. She also has problems controlling her bladder (when she has to go, she has to go now). She also has some problems with claustrophia and has problems dealing with crowds. Then you add to the mix that she takes meds where she is not supposed to get overheated and we thought she'd qualify for a DAS. Apparently not, as she was turned down for one both in early Dec and then again in late March. In addition to her other medical problems, she also has alot of mobility problems (arthritis and very bad knees), poor endurance, frquent shortness of breath, and falls easily, so uses an ECV down there. Despite us telling the CMs that she had other problems the ECV did not accommodate, she was turned down for a DAS. All the CMs saw was the ECV and tuned out the rest of what we were telling them. All we were asking for was an alternate place for her to wait her turn. We tried twice both trips and were refused a DAS all four times. We just made sure we got to the parks early, made use of fast passes, and then left the parks before lunch before the crowds got too bad. I don't think she rode more than three rides a day and some days rode only one. Anything with a line more than 20-30 minutes she just didn't get to ride. She's already said there is no way she will/can ever go back.

Just FYI: Universal was much more accommodating. They will give you a return time and then send you through their Express line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter