Denied DAS Other options

disneygirl_wdw

Mouseketeer
My dad has been on the DAS pass in the past. His old one expired so we went to guest services today to get a new one. They told us he no longer qualifies with the new rules. He is a larger man with bad back problems and can’t stand still for long. Waiting in long lines is hard on his back and causes it to lock up. We were told today that he would need to rent a wheelchair. My Dad doesn’t want to mess around with that since he would only need it for lines and have to push it around the park all day. So we tried talking to them seeing if a cane with a seat would be allowed. They said yes but didn’t know where we might be able to find one. He is a heavier person and two of the places I was able to find I online that has them only went up to 225lbs. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy one in Orlando? Amazon has some but they can’t be delivered until after we leave.

My dad has been on the DAS pass in the past. His old one expired so we went to guest services today to get a new one. They told us he no longer qualifies with the new rules. He is a larger man with bad back problems and can’t stand still for long. Waiting in long lines is hard on his back and causes it to lock up. We were told today that he would need to rent a wheelchair. My Dad doesn’t want to mess around with that since he would only need it for lines and have to push it around the park all day. So we tried talking to them seeing if a cane with a seat would be allowed. They said yes but didn’t know where we might be able to find one. He is a heavier person and two of the places I was able to find I online that has them only went up to 225lbs. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy one in Orlando? Amazon has some but they can’t be delivered until after we leave.

First of all, I have never seen a seat-cane combo device with a weight limit above 250 pounds. Generally speaking, they are unstable at best, and can cause real injury if the device collapses or if the person is unsteady when trying to stand back up.

Do not be surprised if he takes the seat-cane combo to the Parks, and is asked/told not to use it as a seat in lines. He will be allowed to use it as a cane, just not as a seat. At that point, he is just carrying around a VERY heavy cane.

Your dad either needs to use a Rollator (a walker with a built-in seat, and often some form of storage) or a wheelchair (to push when walking, and to sit in when needed) or an ECV (also known as a "scooter" by most folks).

You can rent wheelchairs and scooters at Disney Parks, however those are first come, first served. Also, you cannot take those out of the Park to the bus stops, boat docks, Monorail or Skyliner stations.

Most people rent from a local Orlando mobility vendor. A very popular option with people here is Gold Mobility.

I realize that a CM told you the seat-cane would be OK, but please remember that there is often a disconnect between what the people on the phones, in chat, and video say and what we experience "real life" on the ground, in the Parks when we actually visit.

I don't want y'all to show up expecting to be able to use a device that he won't be allowed to use.

First of all, I have never seen a seat-cane combo device with a weight limit above 250 pounds. Generally speaking, they are unstable at best, and can cause real injury if the device collapses or if the person is unsteady when trying to stand back up.

Do not be surprised if he takes the seat-cane combo to the Parks, and is asked/told not to use it as a seat in lines. He will be allowed to use it as a cane, just not as a seat. At that point, he is just carrying around a VERY heavy cane.

Your dad either needs to use a Rollator (a walker with a built-in seat, and often some form of storage) or a wheelchair (to push when walking, and to sit in when needed) or an ECV (also known as a "scooter" by most folks).

You can rent wheelchairs and scooters at Disney Parks, however those are first come, first served. Also, you cannot take those out of the Park to the bus stops, boat docks, Monorail or Skyliner stations.

Most people rent from a local Orlando mobility vendor. A very popular option with people here is Gold Mobility.

I realize that a CM told you the seat-cane would be OK, but please remember that there is often a disconnect between what the people on the phones, in chat, and video say and what we experience "real life" on the ground, in the Parks when we actually visit.

I don't want y'all to show up expecting to be able to use a device that he won't be allowed to use.
Thanks for the reply. We have a rollator at home we kept from my grandparents and he won’t use it. It’s more of a pride thing for him. It took us several days in the past to finally get him to agree to the DAS. I am trying to get him to at least rent a wheelchair this trip but rent through the parks so he’s not pushing it on the bus. We already have a toddler in a stroller that is a handful that they help with. We actually talked to the CMs at city hall and 2 agreed that we can use is seat cane. It’s just frustrating after finally finding something that works for him and now being told we can’t have a DAS anymore. It limits his enjoyment of the parks. One CM said well since we are APs we can come back more. What they don’t know is when we do come is during peak times because I am a teacher so we always have the longer lines even though we are APs. Most of the things he rides are not the e-ticket rides either. We only used it when he really needed it. I feel like the few who abused it ruined it for the many who already used it.

A wheelchair will be tough since you mentioned He is LARGE Man. He will be heavy to push
"Try" to explain to him that just like you would do things differently if : Hiking, touring a large football stadium, a scooter will allow him to spend more time with his grandkids. He doesn't need a ecv in his normal life BUT during this trip he will.

Before my mom had cancer and subsequent surgery for it, she was also well above that 250lb limit. She has had asthma and COPD for years and years and refused to use a scooter or wheelchair. So I understand the pride thing. She missed out on so much on so many WDW trips for so many years. The rest of the family went on ahead to ride multiple rides while she waited on a bench. She couldn't keep up, and she couldn't breathe. After years of nagging, on one trip back in 2008, I finally FINALLY got her to agree to try a rented WDW scooter at Epcot for one day. It changed everything. She could finally keep up, could finally go on the rides she missed out on, and she had such a great time. We continued to rent for the remainder of that trip, but one time (I think MK) they were out of scooters and that was tough for her again. We now rent from off-site places so she can use it at the hotel and parking lots too. It's a total game changer.

In 2016 after her cancer surgery, she lost about 100 lbs, maybe more. Still has asthma and COPD, so still has the breathing issue, so she still rents the scooter and she wouldn't do WDW any other way now. She still qualifies for the DAS (at least she did in June 2021) because of the COPD. Forgive me for asking, but does your dad have an actual named back condition, something with a diagnosis, something a doctor labeled as a condition or disease? I'm not up to date since this past summer with the Genie+ changes, but I'm curious if that's what disqualifies him for DAS, the fact that there's no labeled name to his condition, just "sore back" doesn't cut it for their qualifications anymore? I wonder if you said he has degenerative disc disease, or some such, if he would then qualify? Again, I don't know how it's changed since Genie+ is now involved, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge here.

I highly recommend you keep pestering and nagging him to just try it. Try. See if he'll give in to just one day of it and if it's too embarrassing, he still has too much pride, then fine. You gave it a shot, and thank him for that. It made such a huge difference for my mom, I think it would help your dad too. Good luck.

Before my mom had cancer and subsequent surgery for it, she was also well above that 250lb limit. She has had asthma and COPD for years and years and refused to use a scooter or wheelchair. So I understand the pride thing. She missed out on so much on so many WDW trips for so many years. The rest of the family went on ahead to ride multiple rides while she waited on a bench. She couldn't keep up, and she couldn't breathe. After years of nagging, on one trip back in 2008, I finally FINALLY got her to agree to try a rented WDW scooter at Epcot for one day. It changed everything. She could finally keep up, could finally go on the rides she missed out on, and she had such a great time. We continued to rent for the remainder of that trip, but one time (I think MK) they were out of scooters and that was tough for her again. We now rent from off-site places so she can use it at the hotel and parking lots too. It's a total game changer.

In 2016 after her cancer surgery, she lost about 100 lbs, maybe more. Still has asthma and COPD, so still has the breathing issue, so she still rents the scooter and she wouldn't do WDW any other way now. She still qualifies for the DAS (at least she did in June 2021) because of the COPD. Forgive me for asking, but does your dad have an actual named back condition, something with a diagnosis, something a doctor labeled as a condition or disease? I'm not up to date since this past summer with the Genie+ changes, but I'm curious if that's what disqualifies him for DAS, the fact that there's no labeled name to his condition, just "sore back" doesn't cut it for their qualifications anymore? I wonder if you said he has degenerative disc disease, or some such, if he would then qualify? Again, I don't know how it's changed since Genie+ is now involved, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge here.

I highly recommend you keep pestering and nagging him to just try it. Try. See if he'll give in to just one day of it and if it's too embarrassing, he still has too much pride, then fine. You gave it a shot, and thank him for that. It made such a huge difference for my mom, I think it would help your dad too. Good luck.
Having a DX will not help with the das as it is need based

I agree with mammabunny.
A cane with a fold down seat is not a good option. CMs may have said he could use it, but people in the past have reported they were able to use one as a cane, but were told they could not use it as a seat; told they needed to fold it when CMs observed them using it as a seat.
One poster a couple years ago reported her can seat tipped when she used it in line and she ended up breaking her elbow.

He may not want to use a rollator or ECV, but they are the kinds of tools that will help him to have a good trip. They are just tools - no different than glasses for people who need them. My FIL had bad hips and knees and didn’t want to use a mobility device (pride, and not feeling he was ‘disabled enough’ to use one). He got to a point where he only ventured a little bit into each park and spent most of his time sitting on benches. He was back in the room with ice on his knees and painkillers every day. He tried to hide his pain, but it hurt all of us to see him in pain and know he was not able to enjoy himself.
The day he finally agreed to use an ECV, he was able to stay at EPCOT for the full day and even watch Illuminations that night. He just kept commenting how it was his first time in a park in years where he didn’t end up in pain. He realized that his pride had prevented him from enjoying the parks and that it affected the whole family, not just him.

As others mentioned, DAS is based on disability related needs that prevent/affect the guest waiting in line, not diagnosis. People with the very same diagnosis or condition may have very different needs (and some may not need DAS at all).
Disney has always had this same or similar wording, both with DAS and with GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that DAS replaced.

“A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, Guests utilizing a wheelchair or scooter will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction that is comparable to the current standby wait. If you’re a Guest who has mobility questions or concerns, please view Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities.”

Even though that was their policy, some CMs were informing guests who said they could not stand and/or walk in line that the accommodation for them was to use a mobility device. Other CMs were giving out DAS to those guests. The new process for DAS has tried to make it consistent to suggest a mobility device and not issue DAS when the guest’s needs would be met by using a mobility device.

If your mom is using a scooter, then how does COPD make it difficult for her to wait in line?

We just used the DAS for the first time this past June. Previous to that, we never used it and yes she used a scooter as normal - waiting in the lines as normal, except where a CM directed us elsewhere. We had no idea she would qualify until I was talking to a CM (who is a friend) about her and she said my mom would absolutely qualify due to the COPD. I questioned her because we have the scooter rental and I know that doesn't necessarily mean you get to use the DAS. So it never occurred to me to even attempt to ask. So on my parents first day at the parks (my parents arrived after my family and I did), we went to Epcot Guest relations and explained yes she has a scooter but doesn't always use it in some of the lines due to tight corners, and she has COPD and asthma and does have difficulty breathing, and the CM said OK, this is what you do, etc....
So we're relatively new to the DAS, but it seemed to be a simple situation once we mentioned copd and asthma, the CM pretty much gave us the green light, it seemed. Hence - why I wondered if the OP mentioned and actual diagnosis, if that makes a difference or not? Honest question! Because I'm still learning - DAS is still new to us.

So we're relatively new to the DAS, but it seemed to be a simple situation once we mentioned copd and asthma, the CM pretty much gave us the green light, it seemed. Hence - why I wondered if the OP mentioned and actual diagnosis, if that makes a difference or not? Honest question! Because I'm still learning - DAS is still new to us.
You may find that she is refused a DAS when you go next. Since she uses the ECV, unless she has other needs that the ECV can't meet, she would not qualify for DAS. As @SueMinMN noted above, some CMs have been been rather loose with giving out DAS and the new system is intended to tighten that. Just so you know for future reference.

DAS is not dependent on diagnosis. One does not need a specific diagnosis, or any officially diagnosed condition, to qualify. You simply have to explain your needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

Thank you, that is good to know!

I did not intend to pull away from the OP question. Just wanted to explain our situation, and say keep trying to get your dad to at least try a scooter for one day. It's a total gamechanger!

I think a folding cane with a seat used as a seat probably falls under the prohibited item of folding chair. I also agree about instability and would caution away from using that even if there was no doubt about it's acceptance given the circumstances.

Back in 1999 when we went my dad had a boot on his foot (he had diabetes) and he just had a regular wheelchair. Guess who got to push it? Us kids. It was not fun. My dad wasn't large large but was large enough. For your father's condition I would say a wheelchair will likely just end up as a frustration thing for all involved. He might get tired pushing the wheels, others might get tired pushing it and if he's already self-conscious about using a device I would bypass that. But I would think an ECV, even if vanity-wise hurts the pride would ease off everyone because no additional physical exertion is needed. He can park it in the appropriate area and walk a bit if he felt like it then it can be used again.

A rollator is the easiest in terms of size and weight but an ECV may give him the best shot at a less stressful vacation especially as you've mentioned you've got a stroller with a toddler. As time goes on our needs change too. He might have gotten away with things in the past that his body just can't do these days. And how you toured in the past may need to change too.

OP, can he pace back and forth a bit in the queue to relieve the back issues? Your family could create a space for him to move in, someone staying back a bit so he can get in a few steps back and forth?

Last edited:
I went last December with a friend who has difficulty standing in line (both the standing and the heat) and we found that when she needed a wheelchair, there was one for her at each line. Since they deny the DAS pass for mobility issues, all rides keep spares to be used when waiting in lines (sh*ty ones, though, not as nice as the ones at the front, lots of broken wheels). It was good enough to push her through lines we were able to stand in, so if he needs, maybe ask a cm to bring you one?

Last night I waited three hours for a response from DAS. The agent asked me to move to a different device as the phone was not showing a clear picture. I told him it would take me a few mionutes to get upstairs and wake up the computer. By the time I did that, it was 9:53 and he had cut me off. I tried this morning at 7:01, and spoke to someone around 7:50. Basically, since my problem is a mobility one, they can't help. I asked her who DAS was for, if not someone who cannot stand for long periods of time, and she answered that it is for those with cognitive disabilities. She suggested a scooter or wheelchair. She didn't mention that there were wheelchairs at each attraction - I didn't realize that until I read this thread. Maybe I'll bring my dad's old rollator.

Last night I waited three hours for a response from DAS. The agent asked me to move to a different device as the phone was not showing a clear picture. I told him it would take me a few mionutes to get upstairs and wake up the computer. By the time I did that, it was 9:53 and he had cut me off. I tried this morning at 7:01, and spoke to someone around 7:50. Basically, since my problem is a mobility one, they can't help. I asked her who DAS was for, if not someone who cannot stand for long periods of time, and she answered that it is for those with cognitive disabilities. She suggested a scooter or wheelchair. She didn't mention that there were wheelchairs at each attraction - I didn't realize that until I read this thread. Maybe I'll bring my dad's old rollator.

I really wish they trained CMs better than to say this. The DAS is not “only” for cognitive issues. All of the lines, for the most part, are mainstreamed. Which means they can accommodate a mobility aid already (wheelchair, ecv, Walker, rollator, cane). So if someone’s issue can be resolved with one of these, the expectation is the person will utilize the one of their choosing that best meets that need. That is the accomodation, the mainstreaming of the line for the use of these devices. There are, however, other physical challenges and limitations that are not resolved with a mobility aid for which folks can and do get a DAS. The CMs should know better when answering questions. The DAS is need based, not condition/disease based. Two people with the same diagnosis can and often do have entirely different needs.

I have never heard of there being available wheelchairs at every attraction (I know attractions that require a transfer from ECV have some but not a lot and they can all be in use at times) so I personally would plan ahead to bring what you need or rent from a local vendor.

Those portable seats are available at golf stores. I have seen them used in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter