Departing New Orleans after Disney Cruise

Cruise Diva

Earning My Ears
We will be on the Disney Wonder February 14 Western Caribbean Cruise out of New Orleans. We are looking at flights home after the cruise. Would we be safe booking an 11:45 AM flight or should we book a 1:30 p.m. flight? We have never taken a cruise out of New Orleans so I do not know how long it is going to take to get off the ship and take Disney transportation to the airport.

We will be on the Disney Wonder February 14 Western Caribbean Cruise out of New Orleans. We are looking at flights home after the cruise. Would we be safe booking an 11:45 AM flight or should we book a 1:30 p.m. flight? We have never taken a cruise out of New Orleans so I do not know how long it is going to take to get off the ship and take Disney transportation to the airport.

If the ship disembarks at 7:30-8:00, you have plenty of time to get to the airport by 9:45 (enough time to check bags w/skycap and go through security) under normal conditions.

However, there is a new air terminal opening up later this Fall. It is essentially a new airport. But the powers-that-be have yet to start building a new road and interstate off-ramp to accommodate the shifting traffic flow around the new terminal.

Nobody really knows what traffic is going to look like getting to/from the airport without those roads. Add in the fact that you’ll be traveling during morning rush hour, and you might be wise to build in some safety cushion.

So, in short, based on the best information currently available, you are probably fine with 11:45, but 1:30 isn’t a bad idea.

Last edited:
Normally, I would say yes, but you are coming back on a Friday, the Friday before Mardi Gras! Traffic is not normally hectic on a Friday Morning and the Airport is only 30 minutes away. However, the port is right in the middle of downtown New Orleans and I am not sure if there are any parades that day. Usually the parades are at night on a weekday, but the city will be packed with Mardi Gras Tourists etc. Take care of the ship...we will be embarking when you get off!!!

You may still be ok...it would just give me anxiety.

Allow plenty of time before your flight! See here: https://www.nola.com/news/article_e4924320-0403-11ea-aacf-ab379d2b1af6.html

I just flew home on Thursday from the new terminal at the airport. It did not seem any slower or worse than the old terminal. I did not experience any of the traffic issues they were talking about and our cab driver said that she had not run into any major traffic either. Regardless, I would adhere to whatever Disney‘s recommendations are as to the earliest flight you should take.

I just flew home on Thursday from the new terminal at the airport. It did not seem any slower or worse than the old terminal. I did not experience any of the traffic issues they were talking about and our cab driver said that she had not run into any major traffic either. Regardless, I would adhere to whatever Disney‘s recommendations are as to the earliest flight you should take.
I’m glad to hear that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter