• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Departure flight is now listed as a Boeing 757-300 instead of an Air Bus 321, not surprised, but any opinions?

To me, it’s like saying “My taxi to the airport was supposed to be a Ford. Now it’s a Chevrolet. I knew that was coming. Any opinions?”

I don’t know plane model numbers and thought your concern was a switch to a Boeing Max plane. Now that would be a more lively discussion.

Some planes actually do have bad reputations in terms of comfort. For example, some variants of the Bombardier CRJ have been nicknamed the "Devil's Chariot" and the "Torture Tube" due to various factors. The CRJ is small jet that has 50-80 seats. Because it's so small, the circumference of the significantly less than larger jets. That makes it feel claustrophobic to people who don't often feel claustrophobic.

I get why it seems like a weird question. But to frequent flyers, it's really not odd to ask about the actual aircraft.

I've flown both the A321 and 757-200 extensively. Hands down I prefer the 757 (not that I usually get a choice!)

The 757 is built as a middle of the market aircraft, and is the largest single aisle aircraft. To date it's the only purpose built aircraft to fill this role. The A321 is a longer A320 series aircraft, and is similar to the 737-900 or MAX9. This leads to a number of design differences: as the 757 was designed for intercontinental travel, ETOPS was designed in at the outset, and not an afterthought, and as the systems are more robust they're also quieter, particularly the hydraulics. It was also optimized aerodynamically for longer cruise duration than the A321, which was optimized for short haul service, meaning despite being an older aircraft it is more efficient when used for 1000+ mile journeys, has larger, more powerful engines that are quieter, and has a higher aspect ratio wing which rides more smoothly and more quietly.

Because of the higher wing lift and bigger engines, it's also used a lot in hot and high airports, where the heat or altitude (or both) lead to less engine thrust and less wing lift due to thinner air and has less of a MTOW restriction when doing so. AA flies it into Quito, for instance, even though it's well within range of shorter haul aircraft, and it used to be used extensively into JNB as well until the Dreamliner and A330 took over those routes. It even rides better than its cousin with a common type rating: the 767.

Well Delta went and did what I suspected they would do with a flight I am looking at, which is really no big deal but I thought I might see if you experts have any opinions on it. Originally the round trip flight from Atlanta to San Diego was scheduled with a departure and return on an Air Bus 321 but now the departure is listed as a Boeing 757-300. No big deal I am thinking, just a bigger plane, right? I mean I know it could very well change again but I was just kinda expecting this change.
Guess I don't get what difference it makes or what you are asking about. If you don't like that plane what are you going to do about it? The plane they use is the plane they use. You fly on it or you don't fly. Doesn't seem like much of a reason to worry or even look at it, does it? Unless you are planning on driving to San Diego instead, which is like, what, torture.

It's a negligible amount of time. Truly. I honestly wouldn't base any decisions off of that.

Are you debating NOT booking the flight because of the plane change? If not, I'd recommend not worrying about any of this stuff. It really doesn't make a difference on the overall flight.
Besides that, it could change again anyway.
I'm baffled over the idea of what the plane is at any time. I mean, the Max is grounded so they aren't going to use that, even if they wanted to

Some planes actually do have bad reputations in terms of comfort. For example, some variants of the Bombardier CRJ have been nicknamed the "Devil's Chariot" and the "Torture Tube" due to various factors. The CRJ is small jet that has 50-80 seats. Because it's so small, the circumference of the significantly less than larger jets. That makes it feel claustrophobic to people who don't often feel claustrophobic.

I get why it seems like a weird question. But to frequent flyers, it's really not odd to ask about the actual aircraft.
The question is, what do you do if you don't like the plane they use? Nothing. Not fly. That's about your only choice. It's not like you the passenger has any say on it so what good does it do to know? THAT is why it is a weird question to debate about

Some planes actually do have bad reputations in terms of comfort...

...I get why it seems like a weird question. But to frequent flyers, it's really not odd to ask about the actual aircraft.

You’re not wrong and I don’t think it’s an odd question in the way you are assuming.

If I saw it as an odd question it’s because whatever concerns one has about a plane (comfort, layout, safety, technology, etc), they should have 10x as much interest in a car. Cars have much more noticeable variability and you’d have more options to change selection.

The only thing about a plane is you may be on it for longer than the taxi. That depends on your start/stop locale. Arriving by plane here in Toronto during rush hour could make the road commute as long as your flight LOL.

The question is, what do you do if you don't like the plane they use? Nothing. Not fly. That's about your only choice. It's not like you the passenger has any say on it so what good does it do to know? THAT is why it is a weird question to debate about

I think the OP is overthinking things (not just based on this post, but on the many she has posted). And, yes, often you have no choice, but I do make choices based on the plane. A few recent examples:

- Flying back to Europe from New York, Air France has something like four flights each evening. Part of my decision was that I prefer to avoid one of their planes. I know that swaps can happen, but I'll at least choose the plane I prefer.

- Flying to DC from Europe with a connection in New York. I choose a slightly longer connection that put me on a bigger plane from EWR to DCA. Partly comfort (though flight is so short, comfort doesn't really matter) but I was flying in winter and I know delays are more likely on the smaller planes (in this case, in face, the earlier flight was delayed and ended up leaving after my flight)

- Again flying back to Europe from New York, this time via LHR on United. Again, many flights to choose from and I choose, partly (large part, actually) based on preference for plane (took one that was already showing to be on a retrofitted plane). I know that things could quickly change, but I at least gave myself the best chance of getting the plane I preferred.

I've flown both the A321 and 757-200 extensively. Hands down I prefer the 757 (not that I usually get a choice!)

The 757 is built as a middle of the market aircraft, and is the largest single aisle aircraft. To date it's the only purpose built aircraft to fill this role. The A321 is a longer A320 series aircraft, and is similar to the 737-900 or MAX9. This leads to a number of design differences: as the 757 was designed for intercontinental travel, ETOPS was designed in at the outset, and not an afterthought, and as the systems are more robust they're also quieter, particularly the hydraulics. It was also optimized aerodynamically for longer cruise duration than the A321, which was optimized for short haul service, meaning despite being an older aircraft it is more efficient when used for 1000+ mile journeys, has larger, more powerful engines that are quieter, and has a higher aspect ratio wing which rides more smoothly and more quietly.

Because of the higher wing lift and bigger engines, it's also used a lot in hot and high airports, where the heat or altitude (or both) lead to less engine thrust and less wing lift due to thinner air and has less of a MTOW restriction when doing so. AA flies it into Quito, for instance, even though it's well within range of shorter haul aircraft, and it used to be used extensively into JNB as well until the Dreamliner and A330 took over those routes. It even rides better than its cousin with a common type rating: the 767.

I am not a frequent flyer, but I do enjoy discussions about private and commercial aviation. I've never been a huge fan of flying on the A320 series - as an anxious flyer, the first time I was on an A320, the whining noise of the PTU during taxiing was very unnerving (obviously not knowing what it was at the time) -- and even knowing what it is now, it still bugs me out. Oddly enough, I think my favorite flights have all been on the MD-88 which was pretty popular on the LGA to MCO route on Delta for a while. As a family of 5, we can all sit in the same row. If you're not in the back by the engines, it's super quiet inside. I know pilots seem to hate flying it these days and that model's time has come and gone, but I've always had very good flights on it.

I am not a frequent flyer, but I do enjoy discussions about private and commercial aviation. I've never been a huge fan of flying on the A320 series - as an anxious flyer, the first time I was on an A320, the whining noise of the PTU during taxiing was very unnerving (obviously not knowing what it was at the time) -- and even knowing what it is now, it still bugs me out. Oddly enough, I think my favorite flights have all been on the MD-88 which was pretty popular on the LGA to MCO route on Delta for a while. As a family of 5, we can all sit in the same row. If you're not in the back by the engines, it's super quiet inside. I know pilots seem to hate flying it these days and that model's time has come and gone, but I've always had very good flights on it.
I really miss American flying the MD-83's between LGA and ORD. Some pilots still love them of course, but their days are numbered. Many of the knobs and switches are the same as in a DC-3 even, it's quite a unique aircraft.

I really miss American flying the MD-83's between LGA and ORD. Some pilots still love them of course, but their days are numbered. Many of the knobs and switches are the same as in a DC-3 even, it's quite a unique aircraft.

Probably the last commercial jet series that still has to be "flown" and isn't just point and click.

Kinda off topic here, but I watched this video on You Tube today about people who act a fool on planes. Oh my. I could never imagine acting like such. I mean, they arrested these people. What are they thinking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter