Destash 2017 The Year to Clear

Question for all of you experts! Where in the house do you start the decluttering process? Is there a method that worked best for you?

We are pretty good about getting rid of stuff but we want to list our house for sale by February so we need to do a major declutter. We started with the basement (small and finished). We got rid of a ton but now it is a mess with Christmas decorations so there isn't else I can do there at the moment. Last year we went through every Christmas box and got rid of what we didn't want.

Now we need to start on the rest of the house but the where to start has us like a deer in headlights!

I do it rather haphazardly. I just find things randomly as I move through the house (sometimes I will work on a specific area like a drawer/shelf/ box/etc.. that is bothering me)

I don't get rid of a lot at a time time but stuff seems to leave fairly regularly. Slow and steady progress for the eventual win :) Could I do more and faster, absolutely but time is a major factor! Although I plan on sorting through and organizing all of my tools over X-Mas break (getting some new interlocking tool storage bins for X-Mas:) )

Just met with my real estate broker tonight to start things for selling my condo in the spring. Will be coming for a walk through after the holidays to figure updates,etc. she was happy to hear I had already started on the purging and personal effects being packed up.

A few more items have left the house:

2 books on CD - Donated
1 T-Shirt - Trashed
1 Pair of Socks - Trashed

4 items left the house

768/2017 items for the year so far 38.07% of goal

I haven't been able to keep up with my goals. During the weekend last and this one I've just been so tired!!!!! I'm just trying to get through the work week. I have a busy week and just need to get through this week. Then I will be on vacation after this week-yipeee! Next week I will buy a Starbucks and that will get me going with energy.

This weekend I got rid of 4-5 boxes of old medicines. Dh went through and cleared the hotspot under the table of all his old junk mail and advertisements.

A few more items are now gone!!

2 pair of socks - trashed
1 book on CD - Donated
2 pieces of scrap plywood (2ftx2ft) - used up for part of a display for the robotics team

5 items left the house

773/2017 items for the year so far 38.32% of goal

Yesterday I got rid of a couple more things:

2 unused paint stirrers - Robotics team needed them for a lightweight arm
2 books - donated
1 expired food item from fridge - trashed

5 items left the house

778/2017 items for the year so far 38.57% of goal

Last night did a bit of cleaning in DS room.(he and fiance moved out in August)

I boxed up the following items to give to him today (not sure how he is not missing a couple of these items:confused3:confused3)

3 pair of shoes
1 laptop
15 pair of socks
8 pair of underware
1 book

1 belt - trashed

29 items left the house

807/2017 items for the year so far 40.01% of goal

Christmas Eve day a few items left the house.

3 bags of dry noodles from the pantry (expired) - trashed
5 items of stuff from freezer to make my annual lasagna for X-Mas eve - used up
4 rolls of wrapping paper - used up (these were partial rolls to begin with)
3 computer keyboards - recycled
1 big folder of recipes organized into a binder with plastic sheets (already had the binder and plastic sheets, why did it take 3 years to do?)

16 items left the house

823/2017 items for the year so far 40.08% of goal

Did some tool reorganization today:cool2:

30 various hand tools (pliers, screwdrivers, paint scarpers, etc...). My son took a bunch of them as he is starting out on his own. The rest will be donated!

30 items left the house

863/2017 items for the year so far 42.78% of goal

Last edited:
Yesterday I gathered up some of the misc robotics items that have somehow made their way into my house after the last competition instead of the robotics center?!?!:confused3:confused3

27 various parts, small containers, and other assorted misc items.

There will be more once the new rolling cart arrives so things can be more organized and streamlined for packing and going to competitions

27 items left the house

890/2017 items for the year so far 44.12% of goal

Took decorations down today and going through random stuff as we are getting condo ready to sell in a few months.

Donating/give away
Three Christmas village buildings and music decorations.
Two camp chairs
Two floral arrangements
6 books
5 photo frames
Bag of random clothes

Trashed/recycle
Expired or partially used bath/make up items
10 magazines
2 school testing books
2 pairsStained/ripped dance shoes
Couple dance outfits

I collected a box of clothes by going through my closet again. It was especially enjoyable to donate my last 3 pairs of pants that continue to be too big. I held onto them in case I gained the weight back but decided that was a horrible reason to keep them. I saved one pair for comparison when I reach goal but the rest are gone!

We finally had the basement floor replaced so I have now gone through everything down there. Lots tossed or donated and went through all the craft stuff as well.

This winter I hope to finally go through the totes of pics and get them pared down and better organized.

Working on a few things today

Also, wondering just how much more stuff of my DS's is still here:confused3:rotfl2::confused3

1 small storage container - DS's house
1 partial roll of 3D filament - DS's house
1 pair of ski pants - DS's House
1 T-Shirt - DS's house

3 Ink Cartridges - recycled
1 Toner Cartridge - recycled
16 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 broken mop - trashed
3 expired medicine - trashed
1 laptop bag (ripped, missing strap, handle ready to fall off) - trashed

29 items left the house

919/2017 items for the year so far 45.56% of goal

I have a huge donation pile for rummage sale again. DS16 and DD11 went through their books and purged a lot. Took those to the used book store and sold some, the rest went to the rummage sale pile in the loft. I also quickly went through my clothes and got rid of a few things but I need to do a more thorough purge.

I need to get organized this year because we are converting the loft into an apartment for DS21 when he gets back from France (got a job offer to apprentice in a restaurant) and DS17 is converting the dining/craft room into a bedroom so now I need to relocate my craft stuff.

Yesterday we got rid of a few more items:

1 old and ripped backpack - trashed
1 broken screwdriver - trashed
5 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 bag of assorted paperwork - shredded and recycled
5 CD's - donated
2 books - donated
1 thermostat (unused) - returned

16 items left the house

935/2017 items for the year so far 46.35% of goal

Working on a few things today

Also, wondering just how much more stuff of my DS's is still here:confused3:rotfl2::confused3

1 small storage container - DS's house
1 partial roll of 3D filament - DS's house
1 pair of ski pants - DS's House
1 T-Shirt - DS's house

3 Ink Cartridges - recycled
1 Toner Cartridge - recycled
16 cardboard boxes - recycled
1 broken mop - trashed
3 expired medicine - trashed
1 laptop bag (ripped, missing strap, handle ready to fall off) - trashed

29 items left the house

919/2017 items for the year so far 45.56% of goal

Way to go ComicGuy!!! Your doing awesome~
I tried going into my craft room/office again and was so overwhelmed. Everything got thrown in there again for a get together we had this weekend-uugh! Well I put my kitchen aid, cereal boxes and protein drinks back in the kitchen. Those items sit on an island cabinet I have in the corner of dining room. I cleared it off for the gathering. Anyways I put those back in the dining room. Plus I got rid of 2 boxes, cardboard insert. I took out the paper towels from my craft room and made space in hall closet. While I was there I got rid of some old bottled face cleanser, a few small packages. I was able to make room for my big package of paper towels and box of 600 spoons and 600 forks. Super good deal so I'll save I the long run.

I haven't been feeling good the last few days but tomorrow I plan on hitting the room again and organizing stuff and having a donation box, shred old papers and bills, clear my work tables. I have one more week of vacation and hope to get rid of atleast one large bag of trash from the garage and one large bag to donate

I didn't get much done today :( DD has been sick and I took her to urgent care, pharmacy to lunch and walmart (for soups). Came home and knocked out. I did straighten up my craft room/office a bit and shredded some papers. I moved out the misc stuff that was stored in their to make room for party. I just feel like with DD being home from college and hubby being on vacation from work I just cant focus and get stuff done. Today I will try and get stuff done in the garage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter