diane feinstein-r.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

She had an impressive career, but should have retired ages ago. We need an age cutoff for public office.

i don't know that i agree with an age cutoff BUT when someone cedes power of attorney to another (as she did over the summer to her daughter) THAT should disqualify them from holding/continuing to hold public office.

May she RIP.

She had an impressive career, but should have retired ages ago. We need an age cutoff for public office.

Better yet would be to enact term limits but that would have to be approved by the congress so it will probably never happen. The reason I say this is that we are not all the same as I'm sure you know. One person at 80 may still be on top of their game while another may not. Age is not the indicator, to determine one's ability to effectively serve would be for ALL elected officials to pass a cognitive test. My mother had Dementia starting in her late 70s, we eventually placed her in an assisted living facility. There was one resident there who was in her mid-forties and she had Dementia. This clearly demonstrates to me that age is not the determining factor on one's ability to serve effectively.

May her memory be a blessing.

I think we should put politics aside and respect the woman for the decades of service she gave to this country. Her life and that of her family for a couple of generations was dictated by her devotion to public service. I'm not very optimistic about an age limit (with which I don't agree) or term limits (which I think are necessary) as the people who would be voting to enact these things would be putting themselves out of a job, but to me, neither Ms. Feinstein's age nor health detracts from her years of service to this country. I hope she rests easy, and her family works through their sorrow and finds comfort in their time of grief.

May her memory be a blessing.

I think we should put politics aside and respect the woman for the decades of service she gave to this country. Her life and that of her family for a couple of generations was dictated by her devotion to public service. I'm not very optimistic about an age limit (with which I don't agree) or term limits (which I think are necessary) as the people who would be voting to enact these things would be putting themselves out of a job, but to me, neither Ms. Feinstein's age nor health detracts from her years of service to this country. I hope she rests easy, and her family works through their sorrow and finds comfort in their time of grief.
I lost some respect for her selfless service when she stayed on past the point she should have retired. At that point, you're doing it for yourself rather than for your constituents.

I'd go with 80 at most. Too many in our government now are clinging to power well past their prime.
Oh, I don't disagree. I just thought 90 at the very least is something people could agree on.

Yeah, recently learned this.
I knew that there are a lot of people, who we in the Netherlands would consider pensioners to keep working, and I thought that was just to still have an income.

But then a few months ago, I heard about the story of Pauline Newman who is suing her colleagues who want her to retire. Is it really just about maintaining power? I mean, I take it that judges and politicians etc, were able to earn themselves a decent amount to be able to retire. At a certain point, don't you just want to have some rest and relaxation?

https://www.newsweek.com/95-year-old-judge-sues-colleagues-retire-1804558

Maybe we can at least agree on 90 as a cutoff.

Well ... that turned out to be so for her.

As much as I would like to see more diversity in age and everything else in congress, I can see no reason to bar anyone from running for office (or working) based on age. There were/are heads of state, business magnates, and entertainers who prove/proved you can still be quite lucid and productive ≥90.

At a certain point, don't you just want to have some rest and relaxation?

The thought of being mentally and physically idle terrifies me more than the thought of running out of money. I'm awake and busy 18 hours every day. But ask me again in 20 years (and even then I'll be a long way from 95). Maybe I'll run for the Senate.

Last edited:
Rather than a blanket age limit, the senate and house should no longer be elected positions.

Using the last census as the basis, a random list of people should be selected that match as many of the ratios by age bracket and race as closely as possible.

Those people then get a letter in the mail like jury duty letting them know that starting in January for the next 2 or 6 years they are our leaders.

A true representative government.

Last edited:
While there are some viable arguments to be made about so-called age caps related to fitness to serve, the general disrespect for the elderly in age-based discussions is also pretty telling in our society as well - especially when conflating age with diseases such as dementia - incredibly disrespectful to those with and without the disease separately or together with aging.

Rather than a blanket age limit, the senate and house should no longer be elected positions.

Using the last census as the basis, a random list of people should be selected that match as many of the ratios by age bracket and race as closely as possible.

Those people then get a letter in the mail like jury duty letting them know that start in January for the next 2 or 6 years.

A true representative government.
Yeah, sure. Then we can have a government where nobody knows how anything works and institutional knowledge doesn't exist. Great idea.

Why is politics the only field where we insist on hiring new people with no experience and no skills? I'll never understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter