diapers

howardlee2

Mouseketeer
how does disney handle 2 year olds who wear diapers and the family pools? i.e., what is allowed?:smooth:

From what I have read, children who wear diapers are not allowed in the pools. This is a regulation set by.....Oh shoot, I forgot. Anyway, it's not set by Disney. I will be going into hyper potty training mode next Jan!:D

From my understanding, no diapers are allowed at all, including swim diapers. Non potty-trained children are not allowed in the pools, due to regulations by the CDC, I think.

Non-toilet trained kids aren't allowed in any of the pools regardless of what they are or are not wearing. Period.

Anne

I believe those are not allowed either. Basically the kids have to be potty trained.

I read about this during all the concerns for the Norwalk virus.

When we were on the Magic 2 weeks ago, the rule was "No children who are not potty trained in any of the pools at all". However, they did allow non-potty trained children onto the "blue" part of the Mickey pool, which is the border around the actual pool where there's no water. They said it was OK for the kids to play there as long as they were not wearing any diapers (regular or swim) so they could see if there are any accidents. But the kids were not allowed to enter the water.

According to Disney's literature, the U.S. Public Health Service requires that only potty-trained children be allowed in the pools.

However, on our 2/8/03 cruise on the Magic, there were swim-diapered children in the Mickey pool every day. I actually saw one mom remove a soaked swim diaper and let her child return to the pool without a diaper at all. Eeeew! It was at that point that I told my five-year-olds we'd be hanging out at the Goofy pool from then on.

~marcie

Marcie--That is really gross!

And people wonder why DCL was having trouble keeping Norwalk from spreading. Some parents just don't get it!

Anne

OK, I guess I'm just confused. Can someone tell me why swim diapers aren't ok to use in the pools? I thought as long as the kids wore them, then they could go in the pools. If not, then what good are they? I'm just asking, because my daughter will be 11 months old when we go on our cruise, and I was planning on bringing the swim diapers with us so she could go in. If she won't be able to, then I'll just leave them home since they take up so much space. I also don't want to take her down to the pool wearing a swim diaper and be told she can't go in.

Thanks for all replies.

Hi Piglet! Are you as snowed in as we are?

She will not be able to go into any pool regardless of wearing a swim diaper or not.

She will be able to go into the water at CC though, so you might want to bring some swim diapers along for that.

Anne

thanks for the reply. Good idea about bringing the swim diapers for CC. I'll do that.

Yes, we are snowed in, too. Where do you live? We already have about 5 inches and it's still coming down.

We're in North Brunswick. I think we've got a little over 5" at this point, and they are saying the worst is yet to come!

Anne

You guys will think I'm nuts but I'd kill for some snow. Phoenix weather is BORING.

Anyway, back to the swim diapers... I don't personally have a problem with them. We have a pool and I used them very successfully when the girls were in that stage.

Their purpose is to keep the poop from getting into the pool (can't stop the urine, but chlorine takes care of that). However, I'm guessing that with the virus problem, Disney decided to not take any chances.

Again, this was only on paper. On our 2/1/03 cruise, the lifeguards did nothing to stop kids in swim diapers from going in.

~marcie

The rule is no swim diapers. So you will see many non-potty trained kids in the mickey pool with swim suits and within 1-2 hours floaters will arrive. 3 weeks ago the pool was closed, off and on, when this happened.

Basically the pools are too small for a large bathing load. My rule was early in the morning (after they had been cleaned) and only when we could see the bottom.
The kids used the pool twice.

Hang on here, Fred...please tell me that you aren't saying you could only see the bottom of the pool twice!

I only let my daughter use the pool once..early in the morning when there was only one other kid in there....all the other times we went past there the water was so cloudy and gross I wouldn't let her in there. Once the bigger kids came over and started running through splashing and knocking the little ones over it was time for her to get out. Luckily we have a pool at home so it was no big deal for her to go in the pool there anyway!

Our cruise was pretty full and when it got warm enough to swim the pools were quite full. Disney did their best... But any pool within hours of a packed load gets dirty. They closed and opened them as best they could. I know we waited over an hour for the Goofy pool to fill 1pm. (so it's not a quick turn around)

I went in the adult pool once and after seeing a bandaid and such floating, got out. It was 5pm and you could not see the bottom. I try to work around those sorts of things and look forward to the big beach instead.

It was kindof funny, we got home and the little guy likes to watch the Disney promo video of the BOAT! IT has an aireal view of the MAGIC with sparkling pools. We both chuckled!

Originally posted by gimmetwo
According to Disney's literature, the U.S. Public Health Service requires that only potty-trained children be allowed in the pools.
marcie, where was this information? I'm assuming it's in your cruise documents?

I know that it's correct, but I was trying to find it somewhere in writing. We plan to cruise next year with an 11 month old & I just wanted to show some friends the info.

The pools do get icky. Our cruise wasn't that full, but they were still bad. It was a 4 day, and on the Nassau morning the water was clear. :)

oh well, guess our little one will just have to miss going in the pool. At least there's still Castaway Cay.

By the way, we are VERY snowed in here in NJ. It looks like we have over 12 inches already, and it's not stopping. I just got done watching the DCL video and dreaming about our cruise in October and warmer weather. Only 236 more days to go! LOL. Boy this is torture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter