Did it get to capacity??

I was wondering this too! It sounds like it was quite a wait entering when it opened. :goodvibes

Reading some posts like Tinks, it also sounds some of those who were up all night in line didn't stay much past lunch time.

-Matthew

There was a steady stream of people leaving and coming in during the day. Another good thing Disney did was tell people that once they came in, they could leave & come back.

I heard Disneyland was closed for short time, so I expect that it did reach capacity, but just briefly, in my opinion. There were a lot of people there, but since a lot of people were in the pin & merchandise line in the morning, the attractions were doable, and then there were those who left throughout the day, and so the people who came in the afternoon also were able to manage the attractions and shows -- I thought it was handled well.

I never saw the gates closed to new people, they continually had ears and maps they were giving out. Don't know if they did stop letting people in or not. I actually thought it wasn't very crowded. It was a lot more crowded on July 4th. Some example wait times 2pm buzz 30 minutes. Space 105 minutes at 3pm (though I'm sure thats more to do with it being just opened). Star tours had a small line, Small world at noon had maybe a 10 minute line if that. We walked right on Roger rabbits. For the 3:15 parade, we got a curbside seat at the train station about 5-10 minutes prior to the parade showing up there. Next to my daughter was empty until about half way through the parade. I think the most crowds were in line for merchandise at fesitval arena, waiting for the 10 ceramony and then for the 4:45 showing. We walked up to a screen about 4:40 and there were mobs of people around it. However people were starting to sit on the floor on the tracks for the horse drawn carriage, so we put one of our blankets down and sat there too. Got a great seat and a great view.

Donna

It didn't feel crowded.

we were talking about how there were probably more people waiting in DCA for DL to open yesterday then DCA's ever had in paid attendence.

They have actually had to close down DCA due to capacity a few times. I remember one week it happened 3 or 4 times, with one time, DCA closing to capacity hours before DL closed to capacity.

I find that literally impossible to believe. They had more people in there yesterday morning waiting then they had on opening day of DCA.

If I remember correctly it was spring break week last year (maybe the year before, but I think it was last year).

I think there are several versions of Disneyland closing due to capacity. On July 17, the gates were never closed. They didn't even come close. According to one guest who I spoke to, they did stop selling tickets briefly at around 9:am, but then they started selling them again.

As far as I know, the last time the park was shut down due to capacity was during the "farewell season" of the Main St. Electrical Parade. And that was on a summer day.

DCA at capacity? I agree with YoHo on that one. I just can't see it. The most crowded I have ever seen DCA was over president's day weekend, right after it opened in 2001. Even then, it wasn't bad.

I dropped by DCA last Saturday and saw everything I wanted to see in 2 hours.

As far as Disneyland goes. July 17 was not a typical day by far. The "nuts" mobbed the areas where they were supposed to be. Thank god Disney put the pin area in the festival arena. That kept the "nuts" occupied. And after they got their pins, most of them left the park. Some stayed until the 4:45 dedication rebroadcast and then it was continued smooth sailing the rest of the way.

To me having them not sell tickets to DCA, and closing the gates and not letting anyone reguardless of wether they have been in the park or not, means that they have shut down DCA due to capacity. If you all insist this did not happen, fine, I know the truth, and you can believe whatever you wish. I have seen them shut down both DCA and DL where they have stopped selling tickets to one or both parks. I have seen them turn people away at the parking lots and not let any more cars enter. I have seen them close the gates and not let anyone else into the park Period. Apparently all of this is in my imagination, even though it happens almost every year at DL between Xmas and New Years, and sometimes presidents week and Spring break too.

I admit I too was shocked the first time DCA closed it's gates, but it does happen, especially since it has a much smaller capacity than DL (I think it's somewhere around half if I remember correctly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter