Different foods you or your family makes?

ZZBane

Mouseketeer
What is a meal or food item you or your family makes that most people have never heard of?

My mom makes supremes and zucchini casserole.

Supremes are basically burgers, but shaped like a mini meatloaves and stuffed with salsa and cheese. Then grilled. We like to use hot salsa and pepper jack cheese or Monterey Jack.

Zucchini casserole is layers of zucchini, tomatoes, and onion. Alternate layers and then it’s topped with a layer of Monterey Jack cheese and/or pepper jack. Baked in the oven until it’s bubbling and the cheese is brown. No spices added. The flavors of the veggies all come together and it is amazing. It’s the epitome of comfort food to us and is my dads most favorite thing.

what are ‘irish’ tacos?

the way my mom made them-corn tortillas fried and then filled with corned beef and ideally shredded cabbage (lettuce would do in a pinch) then sprinkled with grated cheese and topped off with taco sauce. i love corned beef, i love cabbage, i love traditional tacos but i hated these and have never subjected my family to them.

the way my mom made them-corn tortillas fried and then filled with corned beef and ideally shredded cabbage (lettuce would do in a pinch) then sprinkled with grated cheese and topped off with taco sauce. i love corned beef, i love cabbage, i love traditional tacos but i hated these and have never subjected my family to them.

That sounds yummy. My daughters and I love corned beef and cabbage also.

Tourlou Tava
Green beans, onions, okra, tomatoes, zucchini,Fresh dill, parsley, garlic, & olive oil baked.

Lokshe, an Eastern European food, basically a mashed potato flat bread that you dip in browned butter. my mother in law taught me and I've been trying to teach my daughters. No recipe just the feel of the dough and knowing how much potatoes to flour to add.

Coconut bread courtesy of my Mom. When times changed and pre-grated coconut was available at the market she shunned it in favor of her own "knuckle juice" (you canna grate the nut w/o scraping your knuckles).

My straight from VA paternal step-grandmother made a mean coucou courtesy of a recipe that came from Papa's first wife who was as Bajan as they come according to the stories. First grandmother died long before I was ever thought of yet her memory lives on:). Here is one way to make the dish:

Pelmeni...a Russian dish my daughter in law often makes for us. DH and I don't care for it, but it's a labor intensive dish to make and we love our DIL, so we rave over how delicious it is.

Well, obviously it depends upon what part of the world or what culture you come from, whether you are familiar with these or not, but being from Canada, we like to make Nanaimo bars and butter tarts around the holidays. We also make lefse, a Norwegian flatbread made with mashed potatoes, (part of our ancestry is Norwegian) to go with our holiday turkey.

Well, obviously it depends upon what part of the world or what culture you come from, whether you are familiar with these or not, but being from Canada, we like to make Nanaimo bars and butter tarts around the holidays. We also make lefse, a Norwegian flatbread made with mashed potatoes, (part of our ancestry is Norwegian) to go with our holiday turkey.

I live in Europe and work for a UN agency. I brought Nanaimo bars in once and had to explain them (and generally spell Nanaimo) every single time someone took one.

I live in Europe and work for a UN agency. I brought Nanaimo bars in once and had to explain them (and generally spell Nanaimo) every single time someone took one.

My MIL was born and raised in Canada and she calls them Naomi bars, no matter how many times we correct her. Of course she also makes Marianna sauce instead of marinara sauce, so yeah...

I don’t know how different it is, but I make pancit a lot, with leftover protein (chicken, pork, beef). My cousin’s wife is from the Philippines, brought it to a family gathering, and my kids loved it. Dd18 asked for it on her first weekend home from college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter