Digital cameras and airport x-ray

GMS

Mouseketeer
First time using dig. camera on vacation- is there anything I should know about the security scanning machines and my memory cards? Thanks!

Think of a digital camera as a mini-computer...there will be no problem at security. Mine has gone through 100's of times.

Just wondered because a lady told me her memory card was erased when her dig. camera was scanned! What a bummer!

Many memory cards are magnetic-field sensitive... perhaps that is why her's got erased. I would check with the manufacturer to be sure, and carry it on to be sure.

Memory cards, as well as other computer media such as disk and floppy drives, are sensitive to magnetic fields in varying degrees.

However, airport x-ray machines do not generate magnetic fields, they generate x-rays. While they do ues magnetic fields to control/focus the x-ray beam, these fields are usually fairly contained within the mechanics of the device itself.

While it is possible for x-rays to impact electronic media, the intensities involved with carry-on luggage are so low that the probability of any actual damage happening is close to non-existant. If the intensities were high enough to impact things electronic, your carry-on would probably burst into flames first.

I would be much more concerned with putting my digital camera in my checked baggage, since 1) the x-ray intensity is quite a bit higher, and 2) well, a camera in checked baggage might be a tempting target for pilferage.

The airport metal detector though does generate magnetic fields, so you're likely to be at much higher risk for data loss by carrying your memory card in your pocket (not to mention it might cause you to get selected for a more intensive search if you set off the detector).

I also have taken a number of different digital cameras thru way too many airport xray machines and have never had a problem.

The warning I would give is to not pack anything electronic in checked luggage, even just the memory cards, as the new scanners they use for that are powerful enough to possibly damage just about anything electronic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter