Dine with Shamu...

what exactly goes on? Is it just a meal by the fish tank or is there more to it?
We just did this dinner Sept '02. It's a casual buffet-style dinner out in the open by the Shamu tank. Food was good---nothing spectacular. It starts off with 2 or 3 trainers talking about their job (found it interesting) and how they go about conditioning/training the whales. Then it proceeds into having the whale do some tricks (i.e. flipper wave, high jumps etc). You are really up close---tables are right at the edge of the tank. Then they give you a warning that Shamu will do a "swim by" your table and you "may get wet".....then they come back with the line , "no, you WILL get wet". Everyone is given the opportunity to stay seated and take their chances (what we did), or get up and back away from the tank. Let's just say, make sure you don't have any souveniers or handbags etc sitting under the table ! It was a minor flood ! Definite splash zone. We had a great time at this dinner.....dress is casual.
My only concern/complaint is this. We had a fantastic table, but some of the tables were further away from the buffet and in a, what I'd like to call, "sun zone". The sun was very bright around the time we had dinner. It was mid 90's the end of Sept and some tables were in full sun. I know that those tables were complaining a bit because I saw the waiters/servers trying to pull down the shades---but this caused a partial blocked view of the whale tank. I can't recall the table numbers here---you are assigned a table number. When you arrive, they check your reservation and walk you to your table. I'll see if I can find the table seating map and let you know the "offending" tables, so to say. If not, and you decide to make a ressie, request one of the centrally located tables, directly in front of the tank. The tables are two rows deep. First row is water front and then there's the row just behind this one. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any further.

about the table, I was thinking about doing this for my Sept. trip, my gf loves Shamu, so I thought she would really enjoy it. It sounds pretty cool.

What times were they serving it during Sept? They said during peak times they have 2 sittings, but I wasn't sure what a September weekend would be considered.

about the table, I was thinking about doing this for my Sept. trip, my gf loves Shamu, so I thought she would really enjoy it. It sounds pretty cool.
I found my place seating card. We dined on Sept 27, '02, at 5:15 pm (it was the only dining time available) and we were at table 16. This was an excellent table (water-front and close to buffet). I wish I could recall the other table numbers, but I'm not even sure they let you request them. I do know that most of Sept is considered low season. I'm assuming peak times would be Memorial Day through the end of August or so and holidays. This is a rough guestimate. Hope you have a great time if you decide to go.

To make reservations, just called Seaworld or go to their website, you can easily book it there.

I made a reservation back in January for our trip in July...Do they assign seats according to when you made the reservation (1st come 1st serve?) or do you think I need to call and ask for a table near the tank? I sure don't want to sit in the sun after a day of walking in it!!! Thanks !

Do they assign seats according to when you made the reservation (1st come 1st serve?) or do you think I need to call and ask for a table near the tank? I sure don't want to sit in the sun after a day of walking in it!!! Thanks !
I don't know if they assign on a first-come basis or not, but I can tell you, I made ressies in August for the end of September and got a very good table. We checked-in at the customer service desk upon first entering the park. They gave us lanyards to wear with our table number on them and told us where to wait. They did not open the gates even one minute early, so no use getting there extra early. All seats are assigned so no need to push and shove for tables. Each party is seated one at a time. I'd say it can't hurt to call and ask if you can request a table that is in front of the tank and under the shaded canopy. Who knows, maybe they improved on the seating since 9/02 ? Good luck !

When we were there, they assigned tables in the order that you checked in. We were told to check in by 3, but fortunately did so when we arrived, and got a great poolside table.

When we were there, they assigned tables in the order that you checked in. We were told to check in by 3, but fortunately did so when we arrived, and got a great poolside table.
Thanks....this is very interesting. We checked-in early--around 10 am---so maybe that's why we got a good table ?

:) Thanks...I will check in when we arrive at the park and hopefully get a good seat. Of course I WILL MOVE when Shamu does his tricks...Dont' want to get a shower!!!:p Thanks for all the great info!

I made my reservations yesterday for December 7th. The operator seemed surprised that I was calling so far in advance! Oh well, at least I know that I've got my place!

Erin :D

This sounds like it could well suit my neice, but what sort of cost are we talking about. Is it a set price? If so, does anyone know what the prices are?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter