Dining at Aulani with Tweens

amym2

DIS Veteran
Going to Aulani in October with our kids, DS11 and DD9. Does anyone know if kids older than 9 can eat off the kids' menu at Ama Ama or Makahiki? I know we would pay the adult price for DS at buffets, but how flexible are they when dining a la carte?

Has anyone eaten the Makahiki buffet with tweens? DS loves steak and seafood, and lately he has been more open to trying new foods, but it is hard to fathom paying adult prices for him. But it is vacation and it is Hawaii, so we'll be willing to do it once as long as there are some things he'll eat. Wondering if we'll be better off doing breakfast or dinner.

DH and I ate at the breakfast buffet at the JW Marriott next door many years ago and loved it. Anyone happen to know if they have a kids' price?

The Makahiki buffet sucks at supper time. Nice atmosphere, clean, friendly staff, however the food isn't that good. Especially considering the price.

Try it at breakfast. Good selection, and its hard to mess up bacon.

We're all good breakfast eaters, that's good to hear. $27 does seem awfully steep for breakfast though. Our kids don't care much about characters, so we'll probably save the extra $5 and do it on a non-character day.

Anyone know if they'll let kids older than 9 dine a la carte from the kids' menu at either restaurant?

Hi Amy,

I think the kids should be able to dine from the children's menu, I thought it was 12 years and under from memory. My kids dined a la carte at Makahiki a couple of times whilst hubby and I enjoyed the buffet. The kids meals are quite big, would be enough for me! Same with Ama Ama, the kids meals are big and would fill me for sure!

Hi Amy,

I think the kids should be able to dine from the children's menu, I thought it was 12 years and under from memory. My kids dined a la carte at Makahiki a couple of times whilst hubby and I enjoyed the buffet. The kids meals are quite big, would be enough for me! Same with Ama Ama, the kids meals are big and would fill me for sure!

Thanks! The menus online do say 9 and under, but I am hoping they are flexible like most WDW restaurants. DS doesn't have a huge appetite, although it seems to be growing lately. The kid is barely 70lbs, but he can down a pretty good size steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter