Dining Reviews 10/4 - 10/6

lovespugs

DIS Veteran
DH and I got back last night from our first October trip. Much hotter than the previous January and December trips! Since we're going back to WDW in January and taking my brothers, we tried to save money this trip and therefore made fewer PS. Unfortunately, things didn't really work out as planned ;) We still ate quite a few sit down meals, we just did them without PS! :teeth:

Saturday 10/4
Lunch - Corn Dog Stand on Boardwalk
Our room wasn't ready when we checked in to the Boardwalk Villas, so we went outside to grab lunch. We wanted something fast and not huge so it wouldn't ruin our dinner, so we each ordered a corn dog, fries, and coke from the corn dog stand. There's a sign on the stand that says that since each order is made fresh, please be patient with the CMs. I thought to myself that I am a very patient person with nowhere better to go, so this shouldn't apply to me. About 20 minutes later I realized why they put the sign up :) You ordered and paid at the front of the cart and got a receipt. You then took your receipt around to the side of the cart where they would ask you what you ordered and then make it for you. When your order is done, they will ask the next person in line what they ordered and start cooking it for them. I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to work, but that's what they were doing. There were about 3 other families in line in front of us, and we finally got our corn dogs about 30 minutes after we ordered them. Luckily, they were very good, very hot, and very large!

Dinner - Spoodles
I ordered some sort of mixed drink with rum and DH ordered a margarita. We started with the roasted garlic and four cheese flatbread, which is fabulous. For our entrees I had the gratin of scallops and DH had the medallions of filet mignon. Both were good, but not as good as the flatbread. We will definitely be back here for the flatbread, but may try different entrees next time.

Sunday 10/5
Lunch - ESPN Club
While I've been able to talk DH into not watching football games while in Disney World on past trips, this trip the Chiefs were 4-0 going into this game and there was no way he was going to miss it. The setup here is actually really cool and I had a great time. They start seating people at I believe 11:30, and we were told that there is usually a line of people waiting when they open. Which game is on the big screens is usually decided the morning of, and is based on how many fans from which teams show up. They seat people cheering for the same teams together, which was fun. We ended up sharing a table with a couple from Celebration and had a nice time talking with them.

They have 3 guys there who do a live pre-game show and then one guest who will take questions. The guest this week was a former offensive lineman for the Jets, but his name escapes me. It really helped the time pass quickly between when we were seated and when the game started. The Chiefs/Broncos game was on the center big TV with the sound being played throughout the restaurant side (all the other games were shown without sound). During commercials, they would play music and they did a halftime show during halftime.

We started with the macho nachos which were huge, filling, and pretty good. We ordered lunch around half time and I had the grilled portobello sandwich while DH had the ESPN Dingers, which are chicken tenders with buffalo wing sauce coating. While DH drank Killian's throughout the game, I tried a tailgater which is rum, blue curaco, melon liqueur, lemon, and pineapple juice, before switching to pina coladas. While I wouldn't return here for the food alone, I was pleasently surprised by the food and the game...and the Chiefs won! Since we ate a big lunch late, we didn't have dinner. We did grab some ice cream before the second parade at MNSSHP, and snacked on some of the candy they gave out :)

Monday 10/6
Lunch - Sci-Fi Dine-In
We were planning on having counter service for this lunch, but as soon as we got to MGM DH decided he wanted to eat at Sci-Fi. We ate here for the first time last December and loved the theming. We weren't thrilled with our meals that trip, but decided to try it again. Last trip we were on Discover Magic (now dream maker silver), so we ordered more expensive things to try to get our money's worth. This time we decided to stick to the basics, so DH got the all american burger with swiss cheese and I got the BBQ Chicken Breast sandwich. Both were very good and we were happy with our choices. We decided to share a cookies and cream shake for dessert, and it was awesome! We would go back for that alone.

Dinner - Fulton's Crab House
While many people don't like this place, we just love it. This is another place we'd decided to skip this trip to save money, but when we walked by we couldn't say no! DH started with the shrimp cocktail while I had the crab and lobster bisque. The shrimp in the cocktail were huge! Much bigger than we usually see here in Kansas City ;) And the bisque was excellent with big chunks of crab and lobster. I also had a coconut peach colada to drink which was good, and DH tried a JW Dundee honey brown beer which he enjoyed very much. For entrees we both had the Alaskan king crab claws. I ordered this on our last trip and DH was very jealous, so this trip we just both decided to order it! They were as huge and wonderful as I had remembered. Excellent! For dessert I had the milk chocolate creme brulee and DH had the key lime pie. The pie was nice and tart, just the way DH likes it. The creme brulee here is very good and I enjoyed it very much. This was an all around wonderful meal, and we were glad we decided not to skip it.

These are getting longer than I anticipated, so I'll put the rest in another thread. Feel free to ask any questions!

Sounds like a great time!! How crowded was the ESPN bar on Sunday? Was there a line to get in? What time would you suggest getting there? Thanks

Originally posted by THEBIGBUG
Sounds like a great time!! How crowded was the ESPN bar on Sunday? Was there a line to get in? What time would you suggest getting there? Thanks

It was pretty crowded. If you're not familiar with ESPN, they have a restaurant on the left side and a bar on the right side. The bar is seat yourself, first come first served. The restaurant has a host that seats the tables. They open at 11:30, and we got in line at about 11. There were probably 20 or so people in line ahead of us. At about 11:15 they had someone come out and announce which games would be on the big screens in the restaurant so you can decide which side to sit on.

They told us that if it gets really full they would start seating other groups at tables with empty seats. The guy in front of us in line asked if we wanted to go ahead and share a table, and we agreed. He was a local, and said that parties of four get better tables - and he was right. We were on the floor, three tables back from the big screen. The other parties of two were seated around the perimeter of the room.

I would say that if you want to sit in the restaurant and see the 1:00 game, I would get there by 11:30. If you're willing to stand in the bar you can probably get there later. It seems that they are busier when the local teams - Miami or Tampa Bay - play.

Hope that helps!

Looks like Spoodles is something we need to try,thanks::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter