Dining Reviews 10/7 - 10/9

lovespugs

DIS Veteran
Part II...

Tuesday 10/7
Breakfast - Boardwalk Bakery
We decided to have a late breakfast before heading out for the day, so DH went and picked up food at the Boardwalk Bakery while I was getting ready. He got a cinnamon yummy for him, a chocolate croissant for me, and a breakfast burrito for us to share. All three were very good, and eating breakfast in the room was a nice relaxing way to start the day.

Dinner - Restaurant Marrakesh
We were going to have a late lunch, but as we were walking to Teppanyaki we were flagged down by a CM asking us if we would like to go to a taping of the Wayne Brady show. It was about 5 minutes before the show was going to start and there were still some empty seats, so they were just grabbing passers by to see if they wanted to go to the show. We decided to see the show, which was fun, but by the time we got to Teppanyaki there was nothing available until late. I had been wanting to try Restaurant Marrakesh and I knew that it was never busy, so we headed over there. We ordered the Royal Feast, which is assorted Moroccan salads, chicken bastilla, seafood bastilla, beef brewat rolls, roast lamb meshoui, lemon chicken, couscous with seven vegetables, and crepes atlas for dessert. The salad, bastilla, and beef brewat rolls came out first, followed by the lamb, lemon chicken, and couscous for entrees. My favorite item was the beef brewat rolls - I enjoyed the flavor of the cinnamon with the beef. DH enjoyed the lemon chicken the most, but it was still on the bone and I don't really like chicken on the bone. We thought the rest of the food was just okay. Nothing wrong with it, just not really our style.

Evening Snack - Boardwalk Pizza Window
Since our dinner was really early, we were hungry again by about 9:00. We could tell it was getting ready to rain, so DH ran down to the Boardwalk Pizza Window and made it back with the pizza right before it started to pour. Their pizzas are 12", which DH didn't think sounded very big, so he got two :) They were about the size of a Pizza Hut medium pizza, so two was definitely too much. We snacked on the leftovers a couple of other nights, but still threw away almost a whole pizza when we checked out. He got one mushroom pizza and one sausage pizza. The mushrooms were good - big and fresh (I hate canned mushrooms on pizza). The sausage was very fine though, which I hadn't seen before. Both were fine. I wouldn't choose to order it from home when I have other options, but definitely doable for being so convenient.

Wednesday 10/8
Lunch - Teppanyaki
We decided to try Teppanyaki again, and this time they were able to get us in. We got there about 11:45 and were seated at the first table when they opened at noon. I had the shrimp and scallops, DH had the shrimp and chicken, and we shared a calamari appetizer. DH's favorite restaurant here is Japanese, so we usually end up at Teppanyaki at least once each trip. It is fairly typical teppan-style cooking, where the chef cooks on the grill in front of you. While I think the Japanese restaurants around here are better, we enjoy Teppanyaki. One thing I don't like is that they only have steamed rice, not fried. I know that it's because fried rice is not traditional Japanese, but I like my rice fried!

Dinner - Beaches and Cream
After an afternoon swim, we decided to check out Beaches and Cream. I was surprised that there wasn't a wait at all for us to be seated in a booth. I started with a vanilla diet coke and DH had a cherry coke. DH said he was starving and ordered a double cheeseburger with onion rings. His eyes are frequently larger than his stomach, so he ended up eating exactly half of his double cheeseburger :) The half he did eat looked good, and the onion rings that I sampled were excellent. I ordered the grilled prime rib sub with fries. I was expecting something similar to a Philly cheese steak. What I got was a slab of prime rib on a bun, topped with peppers, onions, and cheese. It is also server open-face, so I had to fold it in half and eat it like a hot dog. That wouldn't have been a problem if the prime rib had been shaved, but with one large piece of meat it was challenging and messy. It tasted fine, but now that I know what to expect I would order something different next time. For dessert we shared a No Way Jose sundae which was enormous. I wasn't expecting anything nearly that big or I would have saved more room. Even sharing it we only ate about half. I'm sure we'll be back, but I'll order a different sandwich next time.

Thursday 10/9
Lunch - Columbia Harbour House
DH and I each ordered the Captain's Special with fries, which is two chicken strips and two fish planks. We also ordered the clam chowder to share. We really like Columbia Harbour House for counter service, and enjoyed our meal. Everything was hot and fresh, and there were big pieces of clam in the chowder.

Dinner - Liberty Tree Tavern
We had never done this character meal before and decided to check it out. The meal is a Thanksgiving feast with rolls, salad, turkey, beef, pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, and macaroni and cheese. It's served family style, which we like much better than buffets. They also have sweet tea which we enjoyed, and the dessert was an apple crisp. We were both surprised at how much we like the food. DH's favorite was the beef, while I cleaned up the green beans, served a bit crunchy which I like. The characters were Minnie, Pluto, Meeko, Chip, and Dale. The meal was quite good and the characters were fun.

I'll finish the last three days in another post. Let me know if you have questions!

Sounds Very Good

It is always good to see someone else enjoys Columbia Harbor House. Best counter-service in MK. Thanks for the reviews

Thanks for the description of the prime rib sub at Beaches and Cream! I was going to order that, expecting a French Dip-type sandwich. Now, I'll know not to order it, as I definitely like that type of sandwich with shaved meat!

Thanks also for the Columbia House review--I had already planned on eating there, and now know just what to order!

Thanks for posting your reviews, they were great! :sunny:

More great reviews - thanks!

I will be staying at the BWV for the first time in just a few days - my first breakfast treat will be something from the Boardwalk Bakery!!!

For your informational and interesting reviews I enjoyed reading them.::yes:: :wave2:

Thanks for sharing, am looking forward to try beaches and cream but now know not to order the steak sandwich, like the meat shaved, not on a piece.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter