• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Con 2022 details! >>> Schedule Update-Page 15

This thing is acting like a damn pinball. Now it's making landfall just north of Ft Myers, making a beeline towards Orlando. We shall see what flipper or bumper hits the thing next at the 11 pm update from the NHC.
Danielle: are you already at Disney? Just want to make sure you're safe and your homeplace is okay.

Has anyone tried requesting a refund through Event Brite? There is a button to request a refund, but "hurricane" is not one of the options listed. (There is 'event canceled' which is what should happen but didn't.) I'm willing to write off smaller tickets as a donation, but the $400 for the After Hours party I can't get to is really bothering me. I did fill out the form on the DisCon contact us page, but didn't hear anything back.

Has anyone tried requesting a refund through Event Brite? There is a button to request a refund, but "hurricane" is not one of the options listed. (There is 'event canceled' which is what should happen but didn't.) I'm willing to write off smaller tickets as a donation, but the $400 for the After Hours party I can't get to is really bothering me. I did fill out the form on the DisCon contact us page, but didn't hear anything back.
I got my refund by emailing Steven Amos directly. StevenA@gktw.org

We just saw a news piece from Kissimee. I'm not sure exactly where. I didn't recognize the road. But it was completely submerged, cars underwater, the whole road looked like a river. That's only a mile or two from Disney property. There's no way that will be "normal" by Saturday. We typically stay in Kissimmee though this time we were booked at Flamingo Crossings. We certainly would be unable to go all of the places we normally go to eat and shop and such.

I hope the event is a success but I think it's a disgrace that they're still holding it. The state is under both a state and Federal state of emergency declaration. It's just not the time to be moving forward with this event.

I think from the lack of communication (only one email/message) to still holding this during a state of emergency is a disgrace. Many local leaders are strongly urging people to not travel to central Florida right now. I’m from Tampa, and the storm passed overnight and I just spent a couple hours picking up tree limbs and branches from my front and back yards. Considering I live on the west coast of Florida and I am still getting impacts of Ian shows that this storm will be impacting Orlando until at least tonight. I wish that they would reschedule to at least next weekend because this storm is not going away and the impacts are heavy. Because we are local, we will be keeping our tickets until the time arrives and if conditions are still bad, we will most likely cancel. Please stay safe if you decide to come here. Thanks.

I think from the lack of communication (only one email/message) to still holding this during a state of emergency is a disgrace. Many local leaders are strongly urging people to not travel to central Florida right now. I’m from Tampa, and the storm passed overnight and I just spent a couple hours picking up tree limbs and branches from my front and back yards. Considering I live on the west coast of Florida and I am still getting impacts of Ian shows that this storm will be impacting Orlando until at least tonight. I wish that they would reschedule to at least next weekend because this storm is not going away and the impacts are heavy. Because we are local, we will be keeping our tickets until the time arrives and if conditions are still bad, we will most likely cancel. Please stay safe if you decide to come here. Thanks.
10000% I cannot understand how they intend to host this convention in 30 hours when so many roadways are flooded, MCO is unreachable, and WDW transportation is not open. I mean literally, how can they host the party and convention without Disney transportation running, which cannot be doing so until the roadways are open.

I just had my pro photos (P&F group and Big Blue House Group) refunded due to guest cancellations and weather…
They probably couldn’t make it. They have been insisting that the event will happen this weekend “100%”.

They probably couldn’t make it. They have been insisting that the event will happen this weekend “100%”.
What’s weird is now the “pro” link leads to the GKTW store where you can buy individual pro photo ops direct from GKTW…

Edited to add: while I’m still only 75% sure I can’t make it, my mom said she’s not going. Emailed Steven Amos for a refund (VIP ticket) and only offered a 50% refund (on a $750 ticket?!)

Edited again: apparently he offered the 50% by saying it’s terrible there’s no flights (yeah no kidding MCO is closed), but they still need to cover the cost of the party.
Now that’s kinda extremely F’d up. Seriously?!

Last edited:
I hope your home is not destroyed - I am so sorry. Keep us posted.
Currently looking at our security cameras (inside, can’t see outside), the inside seems to be okay from what I can tell praise the Lord. As far as our road, getting into the neighborhood, outside damage goes I’m not sure yet. We will see. It’s still raining at our house but I am a lot more calm now that I can see the house doesn’t seem to be destroyed. There will be cleanup and there may be water inside - it’s hard to tell though so chances are it’ll just need to dry out if anything. We got so so lucky. When I get home I plan to see where we can go help others clean up. It’s crazy what a mile or two difference makes. It could have very easily gone the other way and that’s not lost on me.

Last edited:
Currently looking at our security cameras (inside, can’t see outside), the inside seems to be okay from what I can tell praise the Lord. As far as our road, getting into the neighborhood, outside damage goes I’m not sure yet. We’re in Alabama for a couple of more days so we will see. It’s still raining at our house but I am a lot more calm now that I can see the house doesn’t seem to be destroyed. There will be cleanup and there may be water inside - it’s hard to tell though so chances are it’ll just need to dry out if anything. We got so so lucky. When I get home I plan to see where we can go help others clean up. It’s crazy what a mile or two difference makes. It could have very easily gone the other way and that’s not lost on me.
thank goodness!!!!!!

What’s weird is now the “pro” link leads to the GKTW store where you can buy individual pro photo ops direct from GKTW…

Edited to add: while I’m still only 75% sure I can’t make it, my mom said she’s not going. Emailed Steven Amos for a refund (VIP ticket) and only offered a 50% refund (on a $750 ticket?!)

Edited again: apparently he offered the 50% by saying it’s terrible there’s no flights (yeah no kidding MCO is closed), but they still need to cover the cost of the party.
That shows how many people are canceling. Do not take the 50% and keep fighting for a 100%

Danielle: are you already at Disney? Just want to make sure you're safe and your homeplace is okay.

Oh did Disney screw up my reservation. I called on Tuesday am and I told them to change it to arrive on Friday. I got an email a few hrs later, it said my check in was still on Thursday. Hmmm... The I got an email that said it was cancelled since I was checking in on Thursday. So Tues night I spent 2 hrs on hold, finally got someone who was unable to change it from Thursday to Friday. It was 10 pm, she asked me to call guest services in the am. I called at 6:30, and got someone in GS on the phone, they were unable to change it but she said I was still scheduled to check in on Thursday even though Disney was closed! She asked me to call back and talk to Walt Disney Travel. So I called WDTC and I said I don't care when I check in, Thursday or Friday. I was on hold for 4 hours while they fixed my reservation, finally. I'm checking in tomorrow!!!

The house and my sub division is good, some fences down, some trees pushed over, lots of leaf debris. I lost power before the storm hit yesterday and lost internet last night fr 4 hrs.

OK, I haven't seen the contract between Disney and GKTW. I have seen a contract between Disney and my group for Coronado Springs when we were considering CS. At its most basic says "Disney Convention Services will provide X, Y & Z" and GKTW will pay Disney Convention Services for X, Y & Z. If for any reason Disney Convention Services cannot provide X, Y & Z, GKTW is not liable to pay Disney Convention Services. If GKTW cannot use the spaces and services for the dates in the agreement, GKTW is still responsible for payment to Disney Convention Services." Everything is paid to Convention Services and not CS. It came down to a game of chicken, who blinks first.

Disney blinks, GKTW is fine, they get refunds for all $$ paid, they can refund what GKTW received and they are none the worse. GKTW blinks first, they are still on the hook for the $$$ paid and the $$$ due.

So what's wrong with postponing the event? If they postpone it or cancel it they have to refund the money to attendees. They have to find another time to host the event when the Coronado Springs Convention Center is available. The fall is convention season. Count out having it between now and Thanksgiving because there most likely isn't time available. Then there are the holidays, Then January, and hotel room prices skyrocket. There's a reason in the past 3 years The Dis has had a hand in events in August/September. Hotel rooms are the cheapest. Add to all that GKTW holds fundraising events every year and they have to schedule around those.

GKTW needed Disney to cancel it and Disney was going to move a mountain to make the event happen.

Oh did Disney screw up my reservation. I called on Tuesday am and I told them to change it to arrive on Friday. I got an email a few hrs later, it said my check in was still on Thursday. Hmmm... The I got an email that said it was cancelled since I was checking in on Thursday. So Tues night I spent 2 hrs on hold, finally got someone who was unable to change it from Thursday to Friday. It was 10 pm, she asked me to call guest services in the am. I called at 6:30, and got someone in GS on the phone, they were unable to change it but she said I was still scheduled to check in on Thursday even though Disney was closed! She asked me to call back and talk to Walt Disney Travel. So I called WDTC and I said I don't care when I check in, Thursday or Friday. I was on hold for 4 hours while they fixed my reservation, finally. I'm checking in tomorrow!!!

The house and my sub division is good, some fences down, some trees pushed over, lots of leaf debris. I lost power before the storm hit yesterday and lost internet last night fr 4 hrs.
Ugh…glad you got your accommodations sorted out. Its all a mess. Everyone is doing their best to accommodate, given the situation, but this has just been a mess. I had a dreaded Thursday check in situation of my own. I was able to get it resolved and we now have a Friday check in at OKW. I also have a check out on Sunday and will miss half of the Con. Honestly, I have no desire to push my flight until Monday and am just hoping my flight gets out on Sunday.

As it stands, I am still at the Swan (who have been lovely) and am due to check in at OKW tomorrow. Who knows when parks or transportation will actually open. This makes for a bit of a tricky situation with our scooters, but we’ll figure that out when the time comes. Hoping that we are at least able to attend the event on Saturday evening. Just a whole series of unfortunate events…and yes, I wish this all had been rescheduled but what’s done is done

Insane. How can they refuse a refund when a state of emergency is in effect for the entire region? Even if you could get there somehow, you shouldn’t. I am very disappointed with how they’re handling this. I’m glad we already got a full refund.

I hope Disney is better than that.

I thought previously Disney had brought all wish families on property during hurricanes? So they seem to consider it a responsibility/partnership?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter