DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

I totally agree with this post 100%. I am a "Small" trader. I mostly trade crypto daily in my spare time watching TV at night buying the dips then setting a limit sell. Next day I do it all over. For stocks I hold some Amazon, DIS, Apple and Roblox. Had some Kodak and sold at the right time. My DIS stock is all "House" money at this point. I was lucky to purchase 500 shares March 2020 for around $90 a share. I sold it exactly 1 year later at $190 a share. Later in 2021 I did buy a smaller amount at $143 a share and have been adding a share a week which brought my average down to $138.58 a share. I know not everyone thinks like I do but the way I see it, I won't lose a penny if I don't sell. Panic selling is why most investors lose. I'm all about the HODL when things are looking down. I've been sitting on 50 million Shiba Inu coins since October 2021.
Your timing sounds impeccable! Also if you hit that crazy Kodak run in July of 2020 then hats off to you. Not sure if that's the run you're speaking of. I agree about panic selling and let's be real at this point it's a bit late to sell or go short if you haven't already. I'm not expecting much of a recovery...certainly not the V style recovery starting April 2020, however many of the large caps will probably see a slow down soon in selling pressure. Again when it comes to Disney it's almost certain we see the 10X's. I will say anything below 100 and I'm loading. If again it reaches 85 that's the all in zone. I'm interested to see what Apple does with it's earnings I think Thursday is it? I also have a little crypto for fun but the problem with HODLing crypto is that it's just playing in a range. Your trading crypto is a much more lucrative option at this time. I'm sure there will be another crypto boom like last year but until then it's a case of nothing to see here. Gl this week.

Your timing sounds impeccable! Also if you hit that crazy Kodak run in July of 2020 then hats off to you. Not sure if that's the run you're speaking of. I agree about panic selling and let's be real at this point it's a bit late to sell or go short if you haven't already. I'm not expecting much of a recovery...certainly not the V style recovery starting April 2020, however many of the large caps will probably see a slow down soon in selling pressure. Again when it comes to Disney it's almost certain we see the 10X's. I will say anything below 100 and I'm loading. If again it reaches 85 that's the all in zone. I'm interested to see what Apple does with it's earnings I think Thursday is it? I also have a little crypto for fun but the problem with HODLing crypto is that it's just playing in a range. Your trading crypto is a much more lucrative option at this time. I'm sure there will be another crypto boom like last year but until then it's a case of nothing to see here. Gl this week.
Ahhh, Kodak lol. So the morning the big grant was announced I told one of my employees he needed to go purchase some Kodak as I was going to as well. Things got busy at the store and I forgot to do it! I put my order in and it executed at market opening at $9 a share instead of the $1.70 it was at the night before. I immediately put a limit sell in at $20 and good thing I did. It maxed out around $21 and crashed immediately. It never recovered. The Crypto I did good on was Doge Coin. I was in at .0016 a coin. Sold it all at .40 the day Elon Musk was on Saturday Night Live. That was a good day lol. I dabble in Doge now, buy the dips and set a limit sell for $.01 more. I average about $200 a trade just playing with it. I'm too scared to go hard core on Doge. But like you, I am keeping my eye on DIS. Something good will come of all this mess. 10x may be a little conservative.

Nothing with the dissolving of Reedy Creek changes taxes, for now. It's more of a scripted "Real World" drama, or "The Bachelor", etc.
Florida is dissolving some special districts that were never re-ratified when Florida's constitution was ratified; thus they need dissolved and reestablished... especially considering that the reasons some had been created are no longer valid at all (Example: Disney never built its planned "Improvement District" community named Tomorrow, thus doesn't warrant the nuclear plant zoning nor other "improvement district" benefits. Dropping Reedy has been an ongoing need, and FL first studied this more than a decade ago.

The wording of the Apr.22,22 bill dissolves 5 districts in FL, and allows through June 2023 to renegotiate a different State "special district", reauthorized in a way that makes it in line with current provisions of the FL Constitution. And no nuclear plants, nor blanket zoning bypasses. Or it may also be a new county MSTU, where tax is based on the assessed property value to address capital improvements that typically require continued maintenance. With either tax authority, police and emergency medical services will probably have improved access to park situations. Disney's current municipal debt DOES NOT go away nor shift to Orange county families... it will be assumed by the new tax authority and payable to them.

Former tax breaks given to Disney outside the RCID (the $500-mil+ lasting through 2040) will of course not be changed. The taxes that WILL change are those that Disney currently pays to RCID. Those terms will be altered when the new district is formed.

Disney won't be "picking up and moving". Disney debt "won't be transferred to Orlando families". Disney (hopefully) won't be discarding its brands of wholesome family entertainment nor picketing outside of Kindergarten classrooms. There is typically a satisfactory "medium" space found within all the fear/anger stories.

I'm most interested in the financial aspects of recent events, of which Reedy Creek dissolving has almost no effect at all. The much bigger challenges are:
#1 -- Disney+ streaming weakness, Content is expensive. Competition is strong.
#2 -- Brand disatisfaction -- Disney films not the happy magical place or yore, if parents have to involve sexual/gender discussions during films/park visits.
#3 -- In-park disatisfaction (app works poorly, it schedules time-conflicts or extensive walking), rides break down or operating only half-capacity, have to waste park time at I.T booths for refunds. Food/beverage $$$ EXTREMELY high.

I believe #3 will be a stunning surprise. It will take beyond this spring and summer for people to show their true disatisfaction with the all-day I.T work needed during your vacation. Since summer vacations are already scheduled, the revenue generated from all these pent-up visitors plus all the Genie+/$ILL add-ons will be cash cows for the Q1 and Q2 and Q3 reports. Visitors will taper quickly in the fall as recession + savings used up + food inflation + in-park disatisfaction rises.

I've no clue about Q1 streaming, I suspect it dropped because of Ukraine/Russia but perhaps was replaced elsewhere? Q2 streaming willl disappoint. Q3/Q4 park visits will disappoint. Cruises for Q1/2/3/4 remains to be seen.

The only thing we know for certain is that Disney is using money previously distributed to shareholders as dividends for LOBBYING purposes instead. And that is NOT cool with me.

I have a very small long position, will try to sell ASAP by averaging down and selling covered calls. I had originally purchased this thinking Disney would be a stalwart stock, but I've reassessed. Will be happy with a barely-profitable exit from the stock, and older happy memories of WDW.

Last edited:
Had to look it up, but some of my DIS shares have a cost basis of $28.50, so I've been a shareowner for a while. I agree the brand has immense value. And I know where that value comes from, since I've known Disney from when I was a kid almost 70 years ago. I still remember the wonderment of beholding Harper Goff's Nautilus on the big screen in 20,000 Leagues as a six-year old. I still have some of my Uncle Scrooge comics from the 1950s. I've read and studied quite a few of Walt's bios, and plan on reading many more, so I have a pretty good idea of what was his dream.

The company has had many ups and downs. The firing of Ron Miller. The malaise of the late 70s. Cost overruns at EPCOT. The soap opera of Michael Eisner. Roy Edward's Save Disney campaign. And on and on.

But the company AIN'T being run properly now. The way for a company to prosper is to deliver a superior product or service to customers, consistently. Any allocation of capital or resources to ANYTHING other than that goal is a waste.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this up hhisc16, I was about to do the same!

One of the moderators told me that a few posts were borderline and that is why we got shutdown.

Please keep any politics out of here so we can talk business and only business.
Thanks for the heads up!

Since you had experience with the other thread for a few years, we can work together to hopefully keep this thread open.

We need a place to discuss the DIS stock and the TWDC earnings without getting the thread locked.

Where does Disney go to increase shareholder value? If the warning bell of Netflix that subscription market is saturated, and Star Wars ideology that the force is everyone flopped, and sports via ESPN is saturated, what is the next revenue stream for growth? Not parks, they are overloaded and priced at max, Marvel franchise fraying at edge in the international market. Online gaming perhaps? I can understand the concept of subscription models being nirvana, the regular and uninterrupted dipping into consumers bank accounts, rarely reviewed or stopped. But if Disney+ is indeed saturated, then growth by buying other video on demand providers to keep the subscription dollars flowing? Which of the four pillars that are movies, parks, sports, and TV can carry the stock back to $200 and beyond? Did I miss a fifth pillar? Sell magic band technology to other theme park operators for use and licensing fees? Would like to hear others view of where growth will come for Disney.

Where does Disney go to increase shareholder value? If the warning bell of Netflix that subscription market is saturated, and Star Wars ideology that the force is everyone flopped, and sports via ESPN is saturated, what is the next revenue stream for growth? Not parks, they are overloaded and priced at max, Marvel franchise fraying at edge in the international market. Online gaming perhaps? I can understand the concept of subscription models being nirvana, the regular and uninterrupted dipping into consumers bank accounts, rarely reviewed or stopped. But if Disney+ is indeed saturated, then growth by buying other video on demand providers to keep the subscription dollars flowing? Which of the four pillars that are movies, parks, sports, and TV can carry the stock back to $200 and beyond? Did I miss a fifth pillar? Sell magic band technology to other theme park operators for use and licensing fees? Would like to hear others view of where growth will come for Disney.
Wasn’t there talk of sports betting with espn being a big revenue source? Has that panned out?

I'm not sure gambling is compatible with a company that markets itself as family oriented. Vegas tried to sell itself 30 years ago as a "family vacation destination." Didn't work. The company doesn't need to be chasing the Next Big Thing. Just stick to the knitting of what it has always done and execute that plan every day. The stock price will take care of itself.

Shareholders realizing that streaming services are overvalued?
I posed the question months ago....how many $6 monthly Disney + members and years do you need to gain to offset the loss one $5k - $10k weekly park visit that have been pushed aside by the new CEO and his attempt to cut cost.

The elimination of the Magic Bus (for starters) has made flying in unreasonable. We live in VA. We have a direct 2 hr flight option. It was so easy to drive to the airport and in 2 hours be in the Disney state of mind by stepping on to the Magic Bus. It was an "ahhhh" feeling of relaxation. It was so easy we bought season tickets. I took a look at Quicken, we spent over $35k on the parks and resorts (mainly Grand Floridian) the year before the pandemic due to the easy of flying in and being shuttled straight to the resort. That trip was quicker than driving to the local beach for a vacation. (current fight issues not withstanding) Then the elimination of the Fast Pass. Cheap, cheap cheap. I've heard constant complaints about the new system.

The way the parks are now, we have never discussed going back. It's both sad and frustrating knowing what fun has been taken away by a cheap, short sighted CEO. On the positive side, Universal was much more enjoyable that we thought. Kids are now all about Harry Potter. That is why you never want to give your customer a reason to try the competitor. They just might like it more.

why? there are 100's of real finance places to get stock quotes. getting your quote from here seems weird. And not discussing the reasons why the poor performance makes this post a waste of time.

just sayin.

There needs to be an unmoderated “no holds barred” Thunderdome style category/forum where people can moan and groan without normal threads getting locked.
Agree 100%...the full on censorship on these boards is so off putting.

Nothing with the dissolving of Reedy Creek changes taxes, for now. It's more of a scripted "Real World" drama, or "The Bachelor", etc.

Nothing changes for now because RCID is still there, and could theoretically still be there in July 2023 if a court steps in. It might not even be Disney leading the charge, but the bond investors who will be pointing to the pledge that the enabling law specifies for bond issues.

As for Disney's tax burden, there are a bunch of opinions, but nobody really has a crystal ball to see how it all shakes out. But some tax experts (like the Orange County Tax Collector) are predicting that it might result in county taxpayers being forced to take up the obligations. But financially for Disney, the new normal might not necessarily be financially punitive to the company. If anything is messing with the stock prices, it's just the uncertainty.

The history of many special districts that affect a single organization is that there has to be willing landowners. I was reading about how the Daytona International Speedway is actually on public land that's leased to the operator at a bargain rate on the basis of it being a public good. But they had to establish a special district in order to do that. Originally the district was going to build the track, but they came to another arrangement.

http://daytonaracingdistrict.com

Got to disagree here. Its refreshing to come to a place that doesn't have those endless arguments about various issues. I appreciate the work the Mod's do to keep this fun.
I disagree but then I am interested in the behind scenes stuff and discussions.

why? there are 100's of real finance places to get stock quotes. getting your quote from here seems weird. And not discussing the reasons why the poor performance makes this post a waste of time.

just sayin.
Are you saying that the current poor performance is due to the recent DIS vs FL political nonsense, because that is simply not the case and is easily demonstrated in a few posts above.

And no one is coming here for a real time quote, we are just coming here to discuss the business side of the company. That is all.

Interesting thoughts on the Disney issue from a former CEO of a large corporation. Disney stock was at $147 on March 1, it's at $115 now.

"But the fact of the matter is boards of directors and executives of a company work for the shareholders. Their duty is to increase profit in sales in a good way so that shareholders benefit, so they get dividends and additional stock and the company can grow. And when they get off into minority issues and social engineering and political issues, they lose their focus on responsibility. In my opinion, the chief legal officer of Disney should be fired. The CEO ought to be fired because they entered into an area without thought and care."

"Corporations have no business being on the right or the left because they represent everybody there and their sole job is to build equity for their investors."

-Ed Rensi
Former McDonald's CEO

Interesting thoughts on the Disney issue from a former CEO of a large corporation. Disney stock was at $147 on March 1, it's at $115 now.

"But the fact of the matter is boards of directors and executives of a company work for the shareholders. Their duty is to increase profit in sales in a good way so that shareholders benefit, so they get dividends and additional stock and the company can grow. And when they get off into minority issues and social engineering and political issues, they lose their focus on responsibility. In my opinion, the chief legal officer of Disney should be fired. The CEO ought to be fired because they entered into an area without thought and care."

"Corporations have no business being on the right or the left because they represent everybody there and their sole job is to build equity for their investors."

-Ed Rensi
Former McDonald's CEO
Let me start by saying I agree with Rensi's effort to get companies back to a shareholder focus but the current drop has nothing to do with the current controversy - have you been paying any attention to the macro economy or the market at all?

I posted this in the locked thread a day or two ago and it demonstrates how DIS has just been moving with it peers - the 3 stocks have moved in almost perfect unison for the 4 months shown and DIS is actually the best performer even before the NFLX disappointment.

Where do you see a drop unique to DIS and easily blamed on the controversy?

1651083203307.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter