DIS turns into Alaska Cruise - June 2010

Today my DH talked to his boss... since DH is the supervisor, he got the email regarding the manditory meetings while he is scheduled for vacation, but he isn't required since it is approved. His boss said, 'I was planning on you being gone.'... so, one hurdle passed.:thumbsup2

Our neighbor who will watch our dog, is going fishing the weekend we were planning on leaving.:rolleyes1 So, he said he would be back either Sat night or Sun. We are now thinking we could leave early Sun and drive straight through to TN (Our reservations in Nashville are Sun, Mon and Tues). Nice thing about this is that it will cut out one night of hotel $$$.:teacher:

DD9 seems more interested in TN than another performance for dance, so I think she is skipping that. :cheer2: If she really wanted to do it, we could go home straight from TN on Wed.:idea:

Slowly it is looking more promising...

On another note...

My DH is warming up to the idea of flying next spring.:yay: If we can get the $$$ saved for airfare and car it's looking like a possibility.

How nice would it be to take a 2 hour flight and be to Orlando?:cloud9:

We used to drive all the time, but a couple of years ago, we got spoiled by flying. From here, it's a little over an hour and a half. We take the 6:30 a.m. flights, and we find ourselves sitting by a Disney pool a short time later, eating a snack, ready to hit a park. It happens so fast that it's a little unreal for the first few minutes!

On the way back, it's nice not to have an exhausted driver behind the wheel, along with a possibly cranky little one. This time there will be two little ones for us, so it'll be even better. The only drawbacks that I can see are having to work on someone else's time frame (getting picked up at a certain time for ME) and limiting what you bring back, since you only have so much suitcase space.

We're Tennessee folks, by the way. We live right on the fringes of everything you're going to see. I go to Opry Mills just to walk around sometimes, and hit the Disney Store, of course.

Oh great, I say just make it happen. Vacation is good for the soul. :goodvibes

I dont know if you have Jet Blue going out of your airport, but if you do we got amazing rates from them for our August trip and you dont have to pay to check your first bag per person. We have alwasy flown American or Continental, but the Jet Blue rates were just too good to pass up.

My DS (10) would die to see Carrie Underwood. When he was smaller he thought her name was Carrie Underwear, so I still call her that and it makes him so mad. :rotfl:

Oh great, I say just make it happen. Vacation is good for the soul. :goodvibes

I dont know if you have Jet Blue going out of your airport, but if you do we got amazing rates from them for our August trip and you dont have to pay to check your first bag per person. We have alwasy flown American or Continental, but the Jet Blue rates were just too good to pass up.

My DS (10) would die to see Carrie Underwood. When he was smaller he thought her name was Carrie Underwear, so I still call her that and it makes him so mad. :rotfl:

AHHH! We call her 'underwear' too!:rotfl2: Yep, my DH keeps saying we're going to the Opry to see 'Underwear!':rolleyes1

I'll have to check on Jet Blue.

We used to drive all the time, but a couple of years ago, we got spoiled by flying. From here, it's a little over an hour and a half. We take the 6:30 a.m. flights, and we find ourselves sitting by a Disney pool a short time later, eating a snack, ready to hit a park. It happens so fast that it's a little unreal for the first few minutes!

On the way back, it's nice not to have an exhausted driver behind the wheel, along with a possibly cranky little one. This time there will be two little ones for us, so it'll be even better. The only drawbacks that I can see are having to work on someone else's time frame (getting picked up at a certain time for ME) and limiting what you bring back, since you only have so much suitcase space.

We're Tennessee folks, by the way. We live right on the fringes of everything you're going to see. I go to Opry Mills just to walk around sometimes, and hit the Disney Store, of course.

We are in MN... its over 24 hours of straight drive time to Orlando... in good conditions. Last time we drove to Nashville 1st day and the rest the 2nd day. We had flooding in IA and WI so we drove WAY out of the way to avoid it. We didn't get into Nashville until 10 at night (I think we left before 5 AM) and we got to the house in Orlando after 9 PM. REALLY long drive.

Any other (inexpensive!) must sees for the TN trip?

I am getting creative tonight! I finally figured out how to do a ticker:surfweb:... and if you are lucky you can see both of them!:thumbsup2
Tennessee is looking more and more solid each day. DH and I agree that we REALLY need to get away. I am still uncertain if camping will be a part of this trip or not. :confused3 We may just do some weekend camping here in MN later this summer.

We are in MN... its over 24 hours of straight drive time to Orlando... in good conditions. Last time we drove to Nashville 1st day and the rest the 2nd day. We had flooding in IA and WI so we drove WAY out of the way to avoid it. We didn't get into Nashville until 10 at night (I think we left before 5 AM) and we got to the house in Orlando after 9 PM. REALLY long drive.

Any other (inexpensive!) must sees for the TN trip?

Maybe the Parthenon and Centennial Park?

There's the Wave Pool and a skate park right next to that on the Two Rivers exit right by Opry Mills.

Country Music Hall of Fame.

Nashville Zoo.

When you live around here, you don't really think about all the touristy things to do too much.

Too bad Opryland is gone. That would have been the perfect thing to do!

Actually we would probably look to trade something or maybe sell something.

We found a 77 Dodge El Dorado Camper near our house tonight.:idea: Thinking a camper or pop-up might be a good camping solution. Just don't know about... safety:scared1:... I don't think they have seatbelts in the back of older campers and with the kids, I can't imagine traveling without them (although I remember many non-seatbelt trips as a kid:confused:)

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

OK... I am getting myself psyched for our next trip. I need to stop thinking about WDW and focus on TN. (Anyone else have this problem when planning multiple trips???)

OK here is our TN trip as it stands today:

Sunday 6/7 - Leave MN and drive to Nashville. Arrive at Hyatt Place Opryland.
Monday 6/8 - Visit Country Music Hall of Fame:charac2:.
Tuesday 6/9 - Visit Opryland Resort, Opry Mills (dine at Aquarium restaurant), Grand Olde Opry :charac2:early show.
Wednesday 6/10 - ??? Upper Room tour and Worship Service, travel to Olive Branch, MS (outside of Memphis) to see SIS and family
Thursday 6/11 - HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY CALISTA!!!! ???Mud Island and her cousin's softball game that evening
Friday 6/12 - Return to MN

Your TN trip, is really panning out, and it looks like you have a very full time planned up! Good for you! My parents were just there yesterday shopping from Bowling Green, and said they really liked Nashville! You're going to have a great time, and it will certainly be just the kind of rest you need- sounds like you can really use it! ;)

WOW! It's coming up so soon!

Your TN trip, is really panning out, and it looks like you have a very full time planned up! Good for you! My parents were just there yesterday shopping from Bowling Green, and said they really liked Nashville! You're going to have a great time, and it will certainly be just the kind of rest you need- sounds like you can really use it! ;)

WOW! It's coming up so soon!

Did they go to Opry Mills?

DH and I talked tonight... if gas keeps rising, we may need to cut out the visit to my SIS (the combo of gas and food for the extra days might push us out of budget:scared:).

Gas here is now $2.55... I have heard $2.69 in Chicago... anyone heard any higher?

I'm not sure... I'll try to skype call them tonight and ask. That would be a shame to not get to see your sister! I hope you don't have to cut that out.

I'm not sure... I'll try to skype call them tonight and ask. That would be a shame to not get to see your sister! I hope you don't have to cut that out.
And my DD9 really wants to see her cousins. They are coming here later in the summer, but we usually don't get to see much of them when they do because they have both sides of the family here and usually are stretched pretty thin.

Our local community theater is putting on the 'King and I' this summer.

So, DH, DS9 and I are auditioning :cool1:this weekend! Hoping to all get into the chorus, although "I can whistle a happy tune!":rolleyes1 who knows until we try!

If we get big parts, we may have to postpone TN until later in the summer. I am thinking it won't be an issue if we get chorus parts.

Excited :hyper:and nervous:scared:... more as the weekend auditions progress.

Today... DS15, DD9 and I auditioned... DH wants US to get in, so he didn't audition. Only 3 men auditioned, so I am trying to get him to go tomorrow to try out to.

DS15 did really well... BUT he has all these Scouting trips planned:scared1:. I think he may be able to do 2 out of the 3 (but vacation would probably be out in June)

DD9 did ok. She sings well, but not loud. She looked so nervous. I am pretty sure she will probably be cast.

Then there is me... ok for adult parts there were probably about 15 women auditioning. But most were High School students going for the younger roles. There were about 4 older women and I thought they did better than me (although DS told me that he liked mine because I put emotion in it). I don't know if I will get in.:confused: AND it sounds like they might cast some women as guys parts (since they have more women)... I'm not sure if I want a guy role:confused3. I guess I was hoping for one of the wives.

Still don't know what we are doing with all of this:scared:. Maybe tomorrow brings more answers.

Ok... so it looks like TN is postponed!

DH, DS15, DD9 and I all auditioned for 'King and I' at our community theater. We were all cast :). DH has a major role of Lun Tha and DS15 is Prince Chululongkorn. :woohoo::woohoo:DD9 is one of the princesses and I am a wife. :woohoo::woohoo:

I'm so happy they didn't leave some of us out... especially the kids. But this means that we will need to postpone our trip since the 1st rehearsals are when we are supposed to be in TN.

The cool thing about this is that since we will ALL be involved, this will be a summer vacation in itself. As DH said, 'Looks like we are going to Siam on vacation!'

AND if we decide that we are not going to TN later... that trip money can go towards the WDW trip in March... :teacher:

Ohhh, this sounds like so much fun! Congrats to all of you- what a wonderful family project for a summer vacay! I'd almost rather do this than go to TN, for sure.

You'll have to post some pics of you all in costume when it's time

:yay::yay:
Yay, I am so glad you all got a part. This will be a great way to spend time as a family. You can always do TN another time, it will always be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter