Disabilities on the Disney bus

I’m curious where exactly in Europe or Great Britain we are talking about where young people jump up and offer seats to older folks or those with small children. My recent experience on the London tube and the Paris Metro tells me that is just not the case, despite the signs. Most riders were so engrossed in their mobiles they didn’t even look up to see if anyone needed a seat was boarding.

I hadn't thought of that. So in your case it would inappropiate to ask you to give up your seat.

I guess asking isn't good advice.
No. It would be inappropriate to get upset after one's request for WDWLily's specific set was declined.

I'm from Ireland and am honestly surprised at your experience. I travel to the U.K. frequently and have travelled to Paris and beyond many times and no memory sticks out when I haven't been offered a seat of needed.

And nobody claimed young people were jumping off their seats for old people, although old people aren't disabled so not necessarily comparable, but IME people offer up seats. Again I'm only speaking for my experiences. That being that no time when I haven't been offered a seat when needed other then Disney.

Do they teach Manners nowadays in the USA ?

They do in Europe .

A Good GLARE should do the trick .. If not a Polite word should do it

SOMEDAY those unmovable people WILL BE OLD
Actually yes, they do teach manners.

And good manners would prevent someone from glaring at someone else. Sorry that they don't each that where you are from.

When I offer my seat to woman some think I'm being sexist, I think I'm being polite. When I offer to open a door for a woman some think I'm doing it because I think she is incapable of opening a door, I think I'm being polite.

I'm proud to say that even thought I am called sexist occasionally I still do what I think is the polite thing to do. When a woman accuses me of being sexist as I hold a door open I smile and keep holding it. I will never allow anyone to gender shame me.

It is sexist if you only do it for women, if you are a man. It would also be considered polite to do it for another man, you know. Do you open the door for another man, or offer a seat? If not, you are not being polite.

I'm curious - how did you decide who to ask to move?
There are seats that are labeled for giving priority to the elderly & disabled. Again, most of the time when I asked for a volunteer to give up their seat, there was no problem. I don't specifically remember the 1 or 2 instances where I didn't get a volunteer, but if I had to do it again my first choice would be a young-to-middle-aged person with no visible disability and traveling with a group, and if possible not someone with a baby or toddler on their lap.

There are seats that are labeled for giving priority to the elderly & disabled. Again, most of the time when I asked for a volunteer to give up their seat, there was no problem. I don't specifically remember the 1 or 2 instances where I didn't get a volunteer, but if I had to do it again my first choice would be a young-to-middle-aged person with no visible disability and traveling with a group, and if possible not someone with a baby or toddler on their lap.

And how would you react if you received a No from the person you asked? I am a middle aged woman with no visible disability. But there are times that I simply cannot stand on a moving bus. Would you expect me to explain what my reason was for saying No? Would you glare at me, or simply say OK and move on to the next person?

It is sexist if you only do it for women, if you are a man. It would also be considered polite to do it for another man, you know. Do you open the door for another man, or offer a seat? If not, you are not being polite.
If you and I were to approach a door at the same time I would open it for you. You do not know my past or if I have held the door for a man but you would assume I am sexist.

If I was sitting on a bus and you got on I would stand and offer my seat to you. You don't know my past or if I have ever offered a seat to a man but you would consider me sexist.

I accept that. I have been called names, I have been shamed, I have been glared at, yet I still open the door and offer my seat on public transportation.

This reminds me of a post recently on disabilities board. Someone who had a rollator knocked on handicapped stall and told the person to hurry- she was then upset that a mom and kid(s) came out. She felt they had no right to be in the handicapped stall- started a huge debate on how can you judge if someone is handicapped or who is more handicapped. This mom and kids appeared to have no outward disabilities but others stated it could be restroom issues etc

You can’t judge if someone is handicapped all the time from physical appearance. Heart condition- might not look it. Back issues- might not be physically noticeable. Cancer not undergoing treatment- might not know. These people might not have scooters or canes etc so who gives someone the right to decide their disability is more important and they deserve to sit.

You hope someone who saw a person needing a seat who could stand would give it up- but that person who looks able bodied might not be.

Sad thing is some people do “abuse “ the system at Disney to get the DAS etc so they don’t have to wait. You never know. Maybe if you need a seat ask CM for assistance but don’t assume everyone sitting is rude American or inconsiderate person. Recently I’ve started to have back issues where my back locks up- I look perfectly healthy in early 50s but I might need that seat - so don’t assume I’m rude if I don’t get up. If not bothering me I’d have no issue standing.

It’s also one thing for the disabled person to sit or expect someone to move but some think their entire party is entitled to displace others.

If you and I were to approach a door at the same time I would open it for you. You do not know my past or if I have held the door for a man but you would assume I am sexist.

If I was sitting on a bus and you got on I would stand and offer my seat to you. You don't know my past or if I have ever offered a seat to a man but you would consider me sexist.

I accept that. I have been called names, I have been shamed, I have been glared at, yet I still open the door and offer my seat on public transportation.

But you know - so if you do open the door, offer the seat, whether it is a male or female, then you're not sexist. But if you are male and only do it for women, then the women who are insulted by your 'chivalry' are correct, as you would be sexist. You can only be shamed if you allow yourself to feel shamed. Why not tell the women you hold the door open for men too?

Why not tell the women you hold the door open for men too?
I suppose I should; "Just so you don't think I'm sexist I want you to know I also open the door for men." or "Please don't think less of me. I also open doors for men." or "My opening this door does not mean I think less of you. I would open it if you were a man."

As you point out, a women who doesn't know me is correct to be insulted and think of me as sexist. We live in a complicated world where an act of kindness is considered prejudice, demeaning or discrimination and needs to be explained.

How do you decided who to glare at? And how is that not rude,? Talk about no manners. Glaring at people because you have arbitrarily decided they should give you a seat is very rude.

My husband was the recipient of a couple glares on one of our recent trips. He had broken his foot a couple months earlier and had just gotten his boot off. His doctor said that walking around WDW was fine, but we were taking it a bit easier. When we got on buses he sat and I would stand directly in front of him, so that his foot wouldn't be stepped on or kicked, a few people apparently had an issue with my husband sitting, while I was standing. I often times prefer to stand than sit on a bus, as I am pretty comfortable with it, but I get a lot of people that are very insistent on giving up their seats for me, I am always very polite when I decline, but I really dislike it when I have to tell people NO multiple times, I am not lying, I just prefer to stand! So many people who come to WDW have never taken public transit, they may not know the protocol, they may not feel comfortable standing themselves, they may just be oblivious or exhausted (WDW is way more walking than most people do in a typical work day where they may be used to using public transit), I don't think glaring or being mean and commenting to people is ever the answer to perceived rudeness, you don't know anyone else's circumstances.

Tell the driver that you need to sit due to a disability. They should be the one to ask somebody to move.

I drove Disney buses for 9 years. I can remember only 1 or 2 times when I had to ask a specific person to move. The rest of the times, as soon as I asked for a volunteer one or more people offered.
I think you just have to take people at their word. If someone says they have trouble standing because of a disability, believe them. If someone is asked to give up their seat for a disabled person using an obvious assistive device, and the seated person says they have a bad knee or a heart condition, apologize and ask someone else.
I've ridden a lot of Disney buses and never once, not a single time, have I seen a driver ask a passenger to get up from their seat, or request someone to volunteer to give up their seat, UNLESS it was someone seated in the fold up seats and they needed to load an ECV. I'm not so sure the drivers are speaking up on behalf of passengers much these days

On Disney buses? I've never seen them. Only the moveable/folding seats are labeled and that so they can be folded for someone using a wheelchair or ECV. I've never seen a special or specific seat marked as for handicapped. On the ME buses yes, but not the park buses. Could this be something that changed since you drove?

84C020DA-D56C-44C4-85EA-C422526AD204.jpeg

On Disney buses? I've never seen them. Only the moveable/folding seats are labeled and that so they can be folded for someone using a wheelchair or ECV. I've never seen a special or specific seat marked as for handicapped. On the ME buses yes, but not the park buses. Could this be something that changed since you drove?

They’re on the buses toward the front by the driver. Not the fold up seats but the next set closer to the driver. They have a sticky on the window over them that generally says “kindly offer these seats to the elderly or disabled” or something to that effect. They’re not the signs over the fold up seats saying priority seating for the disabled.

I think the issue with these is that often they’re already occupied by the elderly/disabled or you just don’t know what someone’s situation is. I’ve never, ever seen a driver ask someone in these seats to move. And, they can’t force anyone to move from these seats. All they could do is ask but confrontation of guests is not the Disney way so I’d be very surprised to ever witness it happen.

I do see these signs even on the new buses but because they’re a window cling and the windows are tinted they are very easy to miss.

And how would you react if you received a No from the person you asked? I am a middle aged woman with no visible disability. But there are times that I simply cannot stand on a moving bus. Would you expect me to explain what my reason was for saying No? Would you glare at me, or simply say OK and move on to the next person?
Interesting question....I know those seats have routinely been used for those that have had to enter via that back door...ecv, wheelchair, etc. But, there could very well be those that need those seats as well.

This reminds me of a post recently on disabilities board. Someone who had a rollator knocked on handicapped stall and told the person to hurry- she was then upset that a mom and kid(s) came out. She felt they had no right to be in the handicapped stall- started a huge debate on how can you judge if someone is handicapped or who is more handicapped. This mom and kids appeared to have no outward disabilities but others stated it could be restroom issues etc

You can’t judge if someone is handicapped all the time from physical appearance. Heart condition- might not look it. Back issues- might not be physically noticeable. Cancer not undergoing treatment- might not know. These people might not have scooters or canes etc so who gives someone the right to decide their disability is more important and they deserve to sit.

You hope someone who saw a person needing a seat who could stand would give it up- but that person who looks able bodied might not be.

Sad thing is some people do “abuse “ the system at Disney to get the DAS etc so they don’t have to wait. You never know. Maybe if you need a seat ask CM for assistance but don’t assume everyone sitting is rude American or inconsiderate person. Recently I’ve started to have back issues where my back locks up- I look perfectly healthy in early 50s but I might need that seat - so don’t assume I’m rude if I don’t get up. If not bothering me I’d have no issue standing.

It’s also one thing for the disabled person to sit or expect someone to move but some think their entire party is entitled to displace others.
I truly believe the handicap designated stalls can be used by anyone. They have sigage on them to alert those that need it as to which ones they are. If you believe that handicapped stalls are for the handicapped only, then you also have to believe that handicapped people can't use the non-designated stalls.

View attachment 280179

They’re on the buses toward the front by the driver. Not the fold up seats but the next set closer to the driver. They have a sticky on the window over them that generally says “kindly offer these seats to the elderly or disabled” or something to that effect. They’re not the signs over the fold up seats saying priority seating for the disabled.

I think the issue with these is that often they’re already occupied by the elderly/disabled or you just don’t know what someone’s situation is. I’ve never, ever seen a driver ask someone in these seats to move. And, they can’t force anyone to move from these seats. All they could do is ask but confrontation of guests is not the Disney way so I’d be very surprised to ever witness it happen.

I do see these signs even on the new buses but because they’re a window cling and the windows are tinted they are very easy to miss.
Thanks for saving me the time of finding and posting my photo of that sign.
This is a no brainer....if you sit on those marked seats, and it's pretty obvious which ones they are, you may be asked to get up. I seldom sit on them. I have had lots of people offer me a seat...I'm older but don't need the seat. In fact sometimes I actually prefer to stand! And some men just don't accept that answer. But, I've seen plenty of people that obviously needed seats but those seated didn't offer. Do I know, for a fact, they were able bodied and able to give up a seat? No, there's no way I can make that call. I also didn't see much different behaviour in Europe when traveling there. It was pretty much every man for himself!!!

Being disabled doesn't get you preferential treatment..it gets you equal treatment. Here's a scenario....there are 150 people waiting for a bus at the end of the day. About 3 of them are disabled in some obvious way. There are also 10 people who for what ever reason, feel they have to have a seat. So, those with the ecvs or wheelchairs or whatever are boarded first. Then, if there's no more room for ecvs or wheelchairs, they have to wait for the next bus. Okay. So, the bus starts loading the 'regular' guests. 5 of the people that feel they 'have' to have a seat are boarded and take their seats. Then the bus has no more seats. When the remaining 5 people board, the ones that feel they need seats (for whatever reason), but they don't have seats now, they have to stand. Maybe one seated person offers up a seat, so that leaves 4 people standing, that for their own reasons, feel they have to have a seat. Well, they can no longer be accommodated. So, they get to choose..stand, or wait for the next bus and be first to board, after the remaining ECV guests. That's the same/equal treatment. Sorry, but if there aren't enough seats for those in ecv's or wheelchairs, and they have to wait for the next bus, why do those that feel they have to sit feel that others should make that happen for them? Personal responsibility.

View attachment 280179

Those were the seats that I was in when I was asked to move, after being loaded with my scooter. The driver was pretty forceful. He basically cut me off when I tried to explain to him that I shouldn't be the person asked to move. So he couldn't force me, but I wasn't in the mood to make a scene.

Those were the seats that I was in when I was asked to move, after being loaded with my scooter. The driver was pretty forceful. He basically cut me off when I tried to explain to him that I shouldn't be the person asked to move. So he couldn't force me, but I wasn't in the mood to make a scene.

Wow! That’s terrible. So he loaded you and your scooter, you moved to a seat and he made you move? I hope you complained. That shouldn’t happen. They prefer those with scooters to transfer to a seat if they are able because it’s safer. These seats I was referring to are ideal for that purpose. I’m sorry that happened to you!

I'm just going to reaffirm what I said before as I'm not sure if what I wanted to say came across. I'm not looking for preferential treatment, all I asked was if it was normal. It isn't where I am from. That's it. The only reason I had an expectation was because again where I'm from a bus driver can (IME) refuse to move if someone with a mobility aid is standing (or if a young child who can't balance is, if someone is standing on the stairs, if someone is holding someone, etc). It was a difference that I hadn't experienced before and so wasn't expecting.

Had I known the bus was so full (which I didn't - my fault for not checking) or that there was 2 ECV's already on, I would have risk assessed my best options and probably would have ordered a mears. Had we boarded at the front I would have asked the driver for assistance if I felt I needed it, but we didn't. And had I known the seats at the front where designated for disabled people and that I could ask someone to move I would have. Had I known a hospital issued cane wasn't a clear sign I was disabled it wouldn't have bothered me as much. Scooters are extremely rare hear and canes are very common for the disabled. But I didn't because again IME I have never needed to do that in the past because people have offered me a seat, I'll know if I return to do those things in the future.

Do I think its rude? Yes, because I was raised to offer someone who needs a seat my seat. But that's a personal opinion and not an expectation. Before my back injury I would often do a full day in work or college and stand on the bus for my 1.5 hour ride home because that's normal here, it isn't there, which is fine. Those days I would never expect someone to offer me a seat because I didn't need it.

All I wanted to know is if it was normal, if I should expect it if I return. The answer is Yes and that's fine, I just wanted clarification.

Wow! That’s terrible. So he loaded you and your scooter, you moved to a seat and he made you move? I hope you complained. That shouldn’t happen. They prefer those with scooters to transfer to a seat if they are able because it’s safer. These seats I was referring to are ideal for that purpose. I’m sorry that happened to you!
Basically, it was at the second stop. He had forgotten that I was the owner of the scooter.

When I got off, I said plenty. He was pretty embarrassed that he had sent me to the back of the bus

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter