Disabilities on the Disney bus

I'm just going to reaffirm what I said before as I'm not sure if what I wanted to say came across. I'm not looking for preferential treatment, all I asked was if it was normal. It isn't where I am from. That's it. The only reason I had an expectation was because again where I'm from a bus driver can (IME) refuse to move if someone with a mobility aid is standing (or if a young child who can't balance is, if someone is standing on the stairs, if someone is holding someone, etc). It was a difference that I hadn't experienced before and so wasn't expecting.

The problem with that same expectation at Disney World is that the buses are designed to hold more people standing than sitting. If you think of all of the people with young kids (who should arguably have a seat) elderly, people who are disabled permanently and temporarily it would be easy to have a bus where more people "need" a seat than can be accommodated.

I wouldn't let it keep you away from another visit. Now that you know you can make other arrangements if necessary, such as grabbing a taxi.

I truly believe the handicap designated stalls can be used by anyone. They have sigage on them to alert those that need it as to which ones they are. If you believe that handicapped stalls are for the handicapped only, then you also have to believe that handicapped people can't use the non-designated stalls.

I totally agree-

I apologize if my post came across viewing otherwise. In my response to post I was mentioning from the disabilities board I stated that. Nobody has right to look at someone and judge if they wee handicapped. When my boys small I used handicapped stall—

And how would you react if you received a No from the person you asked? I am a middle aged woman with no visible disability. But there are times that I simply cannot stand on a moving bus. Would you expect me to explain what my reason was for saying No? Would you glare at me, or simply say OK and move on to the next person?
As I said in at least 2 prior posts, I take people at their word. There's no need for a medical history. Just "Sorry, I need to sit." No further explanation required or desired.

View attachment 280179

They’re on the buses toward the front by the driver. Not the fold up seats but the next set closer to the driver. They have a sticky on the window over them that generally says “kindly offer these seats to the elderly or disabled” or something to that effect. They’re not the signs over the fold up seats saying priority seating for the disabled.

I think the issue with these is that often they’re already occupied by the elderly/disabled or you just don’t know what someone’s situation is. I’ve never, ever seen a driver ask someone in these seats to move. And, they can’t force anyone to move from these seats. All they could do is ask but confrontation of guests is not the Disney way so I’d be very surprised to ever witness it happen.

I do see these signs even on the new buses but because they’re a window cling and the windows are tinted they are very easy to miss.
I'll have to look for them, just because I'm genuinely curious as to how I've missed them in my hundreds of bus rides. I can't believe I've been that clueless for so long

No one is going to “win” the argument in this thread. It comes up over and over and just gets shut down by the moderator.

For me, it’s simple. I believe what goes around comes around. If I am in a position to be able to give my seat to someone, I will. But I am younger, with a few issues that cause me pain, and there are times I need to stay in my seat. You can give me dirty looks and mutter at me under your breath all you want. I won’t be moving, and I won’t be made to feel bad.

Last edited:
As I said in at least 2 prior posts, I take people at their word. There's no need for a medical history. Just "Sorry, I need to sit." No further explanation required or desired.

I don't think people even owe that much of an explanation. I don't think any person boarding the bus has the right to put another person on the spot as to who has more need of a seat.

We certainly had issues with rudeness on the buses - including one family of 4 who literally pushed past my daughter and her toddler to take the last seats on the bus when seats were limited due to ECV's and their families pre-boarding - I'm afraid I had to speak up but was not surprised they did not offer to let her sit but a young man did.

I'll have to look for them, just because I'm genuinely curious as to how I've missed them in my hundreds of bus rides. I can't believe I've been that clueless for so long

Unless you’re standing or sitting right in front of them they are hard to see unless you’re looking for them. They used to be right above the seat on the window and now they’re usually at the top of the window, above most people’s eyeline.

If I needed a seat on the bus I would not get on and presume anyone sitting in those seats are less entitled to those seats than I am. I would never ask someone to get up out of a seat they waited for (need, disability, etc) or expect them to. I take care of myself.

Do they teach Manners nowadays in the USA ?

They do in Europe .

A Good GLARE should do the trick .. If not a Polite word should do it

SOMEDAY those unmovable people WILL BE OLD
so you would probably have picked my daughter to glare at. she looks like a normal 30 something adult but at 35 she had heart attack and used an ECV in the parks. how do you know that person is able to stand just by looks?

If you are a fit person you should have enough Savvy to give up your seat to an

older person to sit down.

Come on you people .... you will be old & unsteady on your feet someday

Okay....to begin with, the 'special seats' are not in the front of the bus. They are right next to, and across from, the back door. They are located here so that they can be folded up if there is room needed for an ecv or wheelchair. They are very hard to miss...they are three seats together, and they are silver/grey in color..not the same as the usual seats.
If someone boards with an ECV, the ECV is tied down..in order to tie it down, the seat has to be folded up..and that takes away seating for three guests. Yes, it says, per the signage, that if seated here, you may be asked to move to accommodate someone who needs the seats. It is usually an ECV that needs the seat. This is one of the reasons ECVs are boarded while the bus is empty, or fairly empty. It makes it much easier to board and tie down.

Okay....to begin with, the 'special seats' are not in the front of the bus. They are right next to, and across from, the back door. They are located here so that they can be folded up if there is room needed for an ecv or wheelchair. They are very hard to miss...they are three seats together, and they are silver/grey in color..not the same as the usual seats.
If someone boards with an ECV, the ECV is tied down..in order to tie it down, the seat has to be folded up..and that takes away seating for three guests. Yes, it says, per the signage, that if seated here, you may be asked to move to accommodate someone who needs the seats. It is usually an ECV that needs the seat. This is one of the reasons ECVs are boarded while the bus is empty, or fairly empty. It makes it much easier to board and tie down.

That’s actually not the sign I’m talking about. There is a sign over the seats that fold up, usually blue with white writing that says those seats must be given up for those traveling in wheelchairs. There is another, separate sign on some buses, usually over the next set of seats closer to the driver that requests guests give up those seats for the elderly/disabled. They are toward the front of the bus in relation to the fold up seats.

This isn’t the best picture but you can see the blue sign over the fold up seats and in the top right corner you can see the window cling which has the text in the picture I posted earlier.

Edited to clarify that this may not be the case on every single bus but I’ve seen it on most of the ones I’ve been on.

Attachments

• 2C1F5013-4E52-4C9A-B017-766948A0D197.jpeg
    2C1F5013-4E52-4C9A-B017-766948A0D197.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
That’s actually not the sign I’m talking about. There is a sign over the seats that fold up, usually blue with white writing that says those seats must be given up for those traveling in wheelchairs. There is another, separate sign on some buses, usually over the next set of seats closer to the driver that requests guests give up those seats for the elderly/disabled. They are toward the front of the bus in relation to the fold up seats.

This isn’t the best picture but you can see the blue sign over the fold up seats and in the top right corner you can see the window cling which has the text in the picture I posted earlier.

Edited to clarify that this may not be the case on every single bus but I’ve seen it on most of the ones I’ve been on.
Yes we saw that and sat there on occasion - my DGS with special needs has to sit on the bus - that's why I found the priority boarding of ECV's an issue - e.g. One day returning from MK we had waited (no problem) 20 minutes for the POFQ bus when as the bus approached so did 2 scooters - one s party of 7 and one a party of 3. We were about 15th in the ordinary queue. So when we boarded no seats. I asked if someone could kindly let him sit but none of the advance boarders moved a muscle - kindest young man moved at the rear of the bus making 2 seats - I then had him on my knee to allow another small child to sit next to us.
I still believe that parties with ECV's should join the queue (unless a carer is required.)
That day I went straight into the shop to buy milk and was soon followed in......by one of the scooter riders walking perfectly well. I do stand by all disabilities are not visible but she didn't justify advance boarding any more than my DGS.
I think that's why there was such a huge increase in scooters since our last trip.

My bad....sorry. I misunderstood. I haven't seen those particular signs, but I'll be looking for them now, that's for sure. I'm not absolutely sure they mean those specific seats, but perhaps all the seats! I'm not sure why those particular seats would be spotlighted.
I have to agree about the huge parties that board with ECV users. I wish they would allow just one person to board with the guest using the ECV, while the others get in the line with everyone else. It's simply not fair to have one group preboard and then take up 10 seats...and yes, they take up 10 seats. If the ECV is tied down (which has to happen) there go three seats, then the ECV user takes a seat, as well as the remaining 6 or 7 that board with them. And that's only if it's the suggested number according to the signage at the bus stops! I've seen larger groups board together, taking up 15 or so seats!!! Meanwhile, those that have been standing in the line for 20+ mins have to wait for a second bus. But those with the ECV guest ambled on up to the stop about 3 mins before the bus arrived!!! Hardly fair.

I've seen those on ECVs hop off and virtually run to an attraction! I've overheard some saying that it's more than worth the expense of getting an ECV since you get on the bus, with the whole family, first! And everyone can take turns riding it when they get tired. Sadly, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for others. I have spent an evening with a woman who really needs an ECV..she is adept at getting on and off the buses. But, I have to tell you, seeing if from her perspective was eye opening. I saw the rolling eyes as she came along, I heard the somewhat nasty comments about how now they would have to wait while my friend boarded. Of course, there was one time that I heard a man say something about an ECV boarding and how it was going to take soooo long to get going now. That ECV took about 45 seconds (once the driver figured out how to lower the ramp!!!). The guy on the ECV was incredible..he was on the bus and of the ECV in a blink of an eye! The driver tied it down and all in all, it took about 3 mins. However, the dad that had made the snide comment? Yeah, he had a kid in a stroller, in the bus line. And he and mom waited until they got to the bus door to take the child out of the stroller and fold it up. They took longer than the ECV guy did!!! And yes, I made a snide comment to my friend as I pushed past the stroller parents (who decided they didn't need to move to the rear of the bus, but stayed in the front so that everyone had to push past them!!)...I said, not in a quiet voice "Sure would be nice if families were ready to get on the bus, instead of holding everyone up by folding up strollers at the bus door!!!!'. I know, I know...not very nice of me.

I still believe that parties with ECV's should join the queue (unless a carer is required.)
Mobility scooters and wheelchairs are boarded first for 3 reasons:
  1. Safety -- the more people that are on the bus, the more difficult it is to maneuver the scooter on the bus, and the more likely it is to hit someone or run over someone's feet.
  2. Efficiency -- if the driver has to move people out of the fold-up seats, it can take a while, especially if there are small children or lots of carry-on items involved, slowing down the loading for everyone. If people have to be temporarily off-loaded to make room to maneuver, it slows things down even more.
  3. Courtesy -- drivers would rather not have to ask people to stand or change seats if it can be avoided.
I agree that allowing 6 to board with the scooter is too much, but sometimes enforcing even that causes an argument. Disney always tries to avoid arguments with Guests.

I have seen times when scooters and wheelchairs are held until the rest of their party makes it through the queue, but it requires the queue to be configured that way and extra staffing to make it work. And we all know how Disney feels about extra staffing.

My bad....sorry. I misunderstood. I haven't seen those particular signs, but I'll be looking for them now, that's for sure. I'm not absolutely sure they mean those specific seats, but perhaps all the seats! I'm not sure why those particular seats would be spotlighted...

Shortened to just this part (but 100% agree with the rest of your post). The seats under this sign are usually right next to the wheelchair fold ups and I assumed this particular sign was in relation to the seats in the front of the bus as those with mobility challenges or the elderly may have a hard time with the steps some buses have to the seats in the back. I could see your interpretation as well though, that it’s generally for all seats.

The langue difference is the thing I think we were highlighting earlier in the thread. The priority seating/people must get up for the wheelchair tie downs (usually blue signs with white writing and impossible to miss unless you want to) vs the “please offer these seats to...”. Two different things to me.

Not everyone has a permanent disability. Some people do just fine at home but find the pace and the mileage at Disney causes some temporary assistance to be needed, or just find they are challenged by things that they handle just fine at home. I wouldn’t question anyone who feels they need a seat taking a seat that they waited for. I have no idea what’s going on in their day to know whether they need it more or less than the next person. But this is where, as many of us have said, personal responsibility is key. Personal responsibility and chivalry are not mutually exclusive either. It’s always nice to see people
offer up a seat on the bus, but I have no judgement for those who don’t. You just don’t know what anyone has going on.

Yes we saw that and sat there on occasion - my DGS with special needs has to sit on the bus - that's why I found the priority boarding of ECV's an issue - e.g. One day returning from MK we had waited (no problem) 20 minutes for the POFQ bus when as the bus approached so did 2 scooters - one s party of 7 and one a party of 3. We were about 15th in the ordinary queue. So when we boarded no seats. I asked if someone could kindly let him sit but none of the advance boarders moved a muscle - kindest young man moved at the rear of the bus making 2 seats - I then had him on my knee to allow another small child to sit next to us.
That day I went straight into the shop to buy milk and was soon followed in......by one of the scooter riders walking perfectly well. I do stand by all disabilities are not visible but she didn't justify advance boarding any more than my DGS.
I think that's why there was such a huge increase in scooters since our last trip.
So you believe that people purchase or rent scooters so they can board the bus first, and get off of the bus last?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter