Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

No. I've talked to and overheard conversations indicating they took out loans, are paying on credit card over time or sacrificed in some other way. At least a number do not have the resources.
From this conversation I'm led to believe the benifits seem to be more psychological than concrete physical advantages when compared to other lines.
There are a lot of wealthy people in the world that can easily afford concierge. If it's pocket change for you then why not. Most of us posting on here probably don't have that kind of wealth. If you are going to take out a loan at least do something exotic like an African safari or an Antarctica cruise. I can't wrap my brain around paying concierge prices for a Disney cruise if it stretches your budget or causes you to go into debt.

There are a lot of wealthy people in the world that can easily afford concierge. If it's pocket change for you then why not. Most of us posting on here probably don't have that kind of wealth. If you are going to take out a loan at least do something exotic like an African safari or an Antarctica cruise. I can't wrap my brain around paying concierge prices for a Disney cruise if it stretches your budget or causes you to go into debt.
The wealthy aren't going to waste money on sub par experiences. They expect value for their money. So why would the wealthy pay for concierge when , according to this discussion, the greater value is outside of concierge?
It would be an interesting research study to determine how many do concierge because they truly can afford it and how many are there for a psychological reason especially since the benifits don't match the cost. At least according to this discussion.

The wealthy aren't going to waste money on sub par experiences. They expect value for their money. So why would the wealthy pay for concierge when , according to this discussion, the greater value is outside of concierge?
It would be an interesting research study to determine how many do concierge because they truly can afford it and how many are there for a psychological reason especially since the benifits don't match the cost. At least according to this discussion.
We need to distinguish between “concierge [standard balcony] verandah” and concierge suites with 1 or more bedrooms distinct from the living room/couch. On Disney, there is no option for suites without Concierge. My husband would happily pay for the 1bedroom to have more privacy but that means we take 1-2 Disney cruises a year instead of 3-4 (depending on length, seasonal premiums, etc)— for that matter, he would much rather be back on Regent or Seabourn, but his wife and kids like the fact that Disney entertainment is factored around family. Just like dining quality (or Virgin Voyage crowd and music mix) “value” and “benefits” are strongly in the eye of the beholder.

Didn't find a Carnival for 6/2025 so looked up for next month. It would appear that DCL is around $1,000 more (except Concierge) for the Disney Experience and worth every $$$ if that is one's preference.

notation Yacht Club pricing is ALL INCLUSIVE meaning Butler, Private Restaurant, Lounge with Full Bar 6:30am to Midnight + ALL drinks included on entire ship and Private Island, Top Deck with Full Bar + Grill + outside lounging + small pool and hot tubs + Internet for 2, Priority everything with Special Seating at shows

I dare say, as not traveling concierge, that a lot of the people who cruise concierge do so because they have the resources to splurge on concierge, and want Disney. And don't have the free time to take two cruises, so they maximize the cruise they can take.

We need to distinguish between “concierge [standard balcony] verandah” and concierge suites with 1 or more bedrooms distinct from the living room/couch. On Disney, there is no option for suites without Concierge. My husband would happily pay for the 1bedroom to have more privacy but that means we take 1-2 Disney cruises a year instead of 3-4 (depending on length, seasonal premiums, etc)— for that matter, he would much rather be back on Regent or Seabourn, but his wife and kids like the fact that Disney entertainment is factored around family. Just like dining quality (or Virgin Voyage crowd and music mix) “value” and “benefits” are strongly in the eye of the beholder.

Magic 6/4 to 6/8 2025 from PC to Nassau and Lookout Cay -- Inside $2,934 - Oceanview $3,254 - Verandah $3,982 - Concierge $8,030

Royal Utopia 6/2 to 6/6 2025 from PC to Nassau and Coco Cay -- Inside $1,920+ - Oceanview $2,533+ - Verandah Ocean view $2,866+ - Royal Suites $3,534+ Jr. Suite

Carnival Glory 6/3 to 6/7 2024 from PC to Bimini and Nassau -- Inside $1,640+ - Oceanview $1,740+ - Verandah $2,250+ - Grand Suite $3,580+

MSC Seashore 6/1 to 6/5 2025 from PC to Ocean Cay and Nassau -- Inside $1,238+ - Oceanview $1,378+ - Verandah $1,498+ - Suite $2,058+ Yacht Club Interior $2,278+ - Yacht Club Verandah $3,658+

I remember royal doing it, but I don’t recall slips with it. They could just have envelopes at guest services for people that want to add extra cash. I’d rather they just increase the tips to keep up with inflation. If they had an option on the app to add more I probably would for great service. I never have cash and going to guess services is a chore.
that's what celebrity did...they raised daily grats to 18/day for regular cabins, more for suites. We still tip our room steward extra if they're good. They work incredibly hard and those auto grats have to be shared amongst so many different employees.

Last edited:
So, are you recommending concierge standard balcony? If so, since I’m definitely no DCL expert, what are the benefits?

So, are you recommending concierge standard balcony? If so, since I’m definitely no DCL expert, what are the benefits?
The lowest Concierge cabin on DCL, the balcony, is where you really get little return on your investment. Not only is it very similar to a non-Concierge balcony in size, you do not get a fold-out double sofa sleeper instead of the sofa-back twin + upper berth.

I wonder if they are also low on the priority list for a cabana at Castaway Cay? That opportunity to pay more money seems to be the sole domain of Concierge now.

@John VN ‘s post points out, there are definitely ways to get a more exclusive, all-included Concierge experience on other lines for exceptionally less than Disney.

I have cruised in DCL concierge a few times in the past (without the steep current upcharge), but could not imagine doing so now. I didn’t even appreciate it for little money. I also don’t like being fawned over. But I appreciate the short Platinum check-in line at the port. And access to airport lounges (back in the day when we could still get in).

The lowest Concierge cabin on DCL, the balcony, is where you really get little return on your investment. Not only is it very similar to a non-Concierge balcony in size, you do not get a fold-out double sofa sleeper instead of the sofa-back twin + upper berth.

I wonder if they are also low on the priority list for a cabana at Castaway Cay? That opportunity to pay more money seems to be the sole domain of Concierge now.

@John VN ‘s post points out, there are definitely ways to get a more exclusive, all-included Concierge experience on other lines for exceptionally less than Disney.

I have cruised in DCL concierge a few times in the past (without the steep current upcharge), but could not imagine doing so now. I didn’t even appreciate it for little money. I also don’t like being fawned over. But I appreciate the short Platinum check-in line at the port. And access to airport lounges (back in the day when we could still get in).
Yes, sounds like concierge offers considerably more benefits on other cruise lines. And, in my opinion, RCC’s CoCo Cay offers so much more fun and activities than Castaway Cay.

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer. I’d say “probably not if you have any budgetary restrictions whatsoever?” We do full suites on Celebrity (love Luminae dining room) but just haven’t felt DCL offers as much for the Concierge dollar— but we haven’t actually done it yet, we will be trying it for my birthday this year, husband is hoping it will allow me to relax more and wants to have a better chance to get a cabana on CC.

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer. I’d say “probably not if you have any budgetary restrictions whatsoever?” We do full suites on Celebrity (love Luminae dining room) but just haven’t felt DCL offers as much for the Concierge dollar— but we haven’t actually done it yet, we will be trying it for my birthday this year, husband is hoping it will allow me to relax more and wants to have a better chance to get a cabana on CC.
We love Celebrity and their restaurants, both Blu and Luminae, but only rarely book full suites, so with the aqua class that we usually book its mostly Blu. Our mistake with DCL was just assuming that DCL was an upper mid level line equivalent to Celebrity, where the food and buffet would be similar or perhaps even superior in quality. Of course everyone is indeed entitled to their own point of view, but we felt that DCL was a big miss in that department. Had we known that for the high cost of our DCL cruise we were paying pretty much exclusively for Disney theming, we would have reconsidered our booking, even though we're big fans of Disney.

We love Celebrity and their restaurants, both Blu and Luminae, but only rarely book full suites, so with the aqua class that we usually book its mostly Blu. Our mistake with DCL was just assuming that DCL was an upper mid level line equivalent to Celebrity, where the food and buffet would be similar or perhaps even superior in quality. Of course everyone is indeed entitled to their own point of view, but we felt that DCL was a big miss in that department. Had we known that for the high cost of our DCL cruise we were paying pretty much exclusively for Disney theming, we would have reconsidered our booking, even though we're big fans of Disney.
I think if you had kids you might feel differently. It is a great cruise line for kids. Celebrity really is not. I'm not saying DCL is worth the price over Carnival or Royal if you have children, but it does have it's place if you are a Disney fan. Disney was a pioneer in the family market and other cruise lines have upped their game. I give DCL all the credit for that. I still think they are the most family friendly line out there.

I think if you had kids you might feel differently. It is a great cruise line for kids. Celebrity really is not. I'm not saying DCL is worth the price over Carnival or Royal if you have children, but it does have it's place if you are a Disney fan. Disney was a pioneer in the family market and other cruise lines have upped their game. I give DCL all the credit for that. I still think they are the most family friendly line out there.
I’m sure you’re right, but we don’t have kids. We’re still Disney fans, though, and were really looking forward to the cruise. It of course totally delivered on all of the fun Disney stuff, but, for us, on all other fronts, did not come close to matching the standards we’ve come to expect from the other lines on which we’ve sailed. And my guess is that DCL knows they don’t have to, as long as they deliver on the characters, shows and fireworks. It’s a smart, very successful business model, considering their popularity!

I’m sure you’re right, but we don’t have kids. We’re still Disney fans, though, and were really looking forward to the cruise. It of course totally delivered on all of the fun Disney stuff, but, for us, on all other fronts, did not come close to matching the standards we’ve come to expect from the other lines on which we’ve sailed. And my guess is that DCL knows they don’t have to, as long as they deliver on the characters, shows and fireworks. It’s a smart, very successful business model, considering their popularity!
It does change as life changes. We still love DCL, but find ourselves branching out more now that DD is close to finishing college. While we have a cruise coming up later this Summer on the Magic to check out Lighthouse Point, the other 3 cruises that we have booked in the next year are 2 Virgin Voyages cruises and a Northern European Capitals cruise on Princess.

It does change as life changes. We still love DCL, but find ourselves branching out more now that DD is close to finishing college. While we have a cruise coming up later this Summer on the Magic to check out Lighthouse Point, the other 3 cruises that we have booked in the next year are 2 Virgin Voyages cruises and a Northern European Capitals cruise on Princess.
Sounds fun! We were booked on a Lighthouse Point cruise on the Magic as well, until we sailed on the Dream and realized DCL wasn’t for us. We replaced it with a much longer cruise in October on RCC from Honolulu to Sydney. The ship, Ovation Of The Seas, looks spectacular.

Sounds fun! We were booked on a Lighthouse Point cruise on the Magic as well, until we sailed on the Dream and realized DCL wasn’t for us. We replaced it with a much longer cruise in October on RCC from Honolulu to Sydney. The ship, Ovation Of The Seas, looks spectacular.
I will say, the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) have a VERY different feel than the larger ships IMHO. We really like them. The rooms are larger, there is less people and the adult areas are much better thought out.

We tried RCCL a couple times the past few years, but were really underwhelmed by included food choices. I am sure that if you are a specialty dining person that it is great, but we tend not to do specialty dining, though we may throw in the occasional Crown Grill visit on Princess. We were also not a fan of the Windjammer as at least on our Independence OTS cruise, it seemed like unless you were a big Indian food fan, the selection wasn't great.

But that's all lines. At least RCCL has the buffet open at night unlike DCL. I should also mention that on Princess, your buffet experience is probably going to vary a great deal depending on if you are on a Sphere/Royal class ship or a Grand class ship.

I will say, the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) have a VERY different feel than the larger ships IMHO. We really like them. The rooms are larger, there is less people and the adult areas are much better thought out.

We tried RCCL a couple times the past few years, but were really underwhelmed by included food choices. I am sure that if you are a specialty dining person that it is great, but we tend not to do specialty dining, though we may throw in the occasional Crown Grill visit on Princess. We were also not a fan of the Windjammer as at least on our Independence OTS cruise, it seemed like unless you were a big Indian food fan, the selection wasn't great.

But that's all lines. At least RCCL has the buffet open at night unlike DCL. I should also mention that on Princess, your buffet experience is probably going to vary a great deal depending on if you are on a Sphere/Royal class ship or a Grand class ship.
In the case of our upcoming RCC cruise, we did buy a specialty dining package, and actually love going to their buffet, which is pretty good.
Was a big negative surprise that DCL does not keep their buffet open at night, which in my opinion is an example of the line cutting corners because they know they can get away with it.

Last edited:
In the case of our upcoming RCC cruise, we did buy a specialty dining package, and actually love going to their buffet, which is pretty good.
Was a big negative surprise that DCL does not keep their buffet open at night, which in my opinion is an example of the line cutting corners because they know they can get away with it.

The fact that Cabanas dinner service has not returned since the pandemic may be cutting corners. But DCL never offered regular buffet dinner service.

The fact that Cabanas dinner service has not returned since the pandemic may be cutting corners. But DCL never offered regular buffet dinner service.

DCL is also in an unusual position of having only two dining times that most of the passengers attend. Staffing must be very different for that than just having open MDR's like other lines.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of alternative dining at dinner on DCL is one of the things pushing us to try other lines, but I think the lack of the full dinner buffet is as much about staffing than cutting corners. That said, not bringing back the non-buffet dinner is another example of DCL giving less for more money.

Ah. Thank you for this additional info. It does strike me as weird that regular buffet dinner service is not a standard feature with DCL, as it is on every other cruise line we’ve ever booked.

Ah. Thank you for this additional info. It does strike me as weird that regular buffet dinner service is not a standard feature with DCL, as it is on every other cruise line we’ve ever booked.
DCL used to use the sit-down dinner format in the dining room as a training venue for new servers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter