Discovery Cove 6/14/02

leslieh

DIS Veteran
Ok i said i would post my experience. We did the DC (2 dds 17&19, dh and me) Only the dds did the dolphin swim. $719.00 total. The park is very nice, presentation great, not crowded, even though it was sold out on our days, even though it looked like 5000 lounge chairs. Get there at least by 8:30 a.m. we arrived at 9 a.m. and waited to get our ids made, about 20-30 minutes. Everyone got a chair, some with umbrellas, We started out with the river swim, a kinda practic snorkle. The water was warm but no sea life, you swim through the bird sanctuary, a nice long swim. We had problems with three snorkles, leaking water, the girl said they are very cheap, you get to keep the snorkle, they just through them away. Our dophin time had been scheduled upon checkin at 11:55 a.m. Then we did the cold reef water, and was it cold, thank god for the vests, that was great, alot of fish, coral etc. sharks, stingrays, skates many beautiful fish. Sharks are actually in a sectioned off tank with glass, dh dove down to see them and hit his head, ha ha. The rays would swim right by you, you could reach out and touch them. Then they have the small sting ray pool, where you can pet them without snorkling. The dophin swim was great, you actually get about 35-45 minutes from start to end. My dds dophin (Kelly) decided to leave after a few minutes, and returned with her 1 year old baby. They give each person individual time. The pics were great $15.95 a piece, bought 3. The camera man seemed to stand between us and our girls. They give you a picture with your package, they take it in the beginning of the tour. Smile pretty, its a keeper. The food was very good, and large servings. Salmon, Chicken tenders, burgers, Fahitias, roast beef, plenty to pick from. Very nice desserts, cheesecake, etc. Overall it was a nice experience, I dont know if I would do it again because of the cost? It stormed twice the day we were there, they cleared the sand, waited and started again. We actually left before 5 p.m. and it started to pour again.

Thanks leslieh for posting this. I'm taking my 13-year-old son in August, and I'm so happy to read anything I can about it.

Thanks for posting! We will be there on July 9 and can't wait! Did you see many people wearing wetsuits? I really hate being in cold water, and was thinking I better wear the shortie kind they offer. I know it doesn't really matter, but I hope I am not the only one there wearing a wetsuit! Sounds like you all had a nice time!

About 25 percent wore the wet suits, we werent offered the wet suit, but didnt ask either.
The weather was so hot, i dont know if i could have worn them all day. The vests, just keep your chest area warm, and the water was cold in the snorkle reef, but after a five minutes you were fine.

We were there 6/10. The tour guide at the beginning told us if we wanted wet suits or life vests to pick them up with the towel/snorkel bag. Otherwise you get your towel/snorkel and proceed to the lockers where they had a tent set up with regular vests.

I would say about 25% wearing wet suits is right. It was hot weather when we were there and they were trying to make it clear to people that wetsuits are hot and vests would be better. But I still saw a lot of them.

Thank you both leslieh and TiggerT! I still think I will wear the wetsuit. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind when we get there and brave out the cold water!

My attitude is - do whatever makes you comfortable.:smooth:
Don't worry about standing out. For the amount of money you pay, and the rarity of the experience, whether it be a wet suit or a life vest or whatever, go ahead and use them. Enjoy the day and the reason you are there - to swim with the dolphins. :)
You can probably grab a vest in the morning too, to save you time if you switch back and forth.
Our kids used life jackets and wet suit vests, if they have one they don't need the other and they switched back and forth all day, but wore both for the dolphin swim. We got both and left whichever wasn't currently in use on our beach chairs.

The water is cold in some areas in the park and warm in others.

And I just wanted to mention in my prior post where to get the wet suits- at the snorkel/towel station, in case you get a guide that doesn't bring it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter