disembarkation - why easier than other cruise lines?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Wondering why I see disembarking from DCL is easier than other lines (like NCL)
Do you not go with your colored tag? Is all luggage down there at once waiting for you? Is Delta still at the port? Can we drop luggage with them even if we dont fly home till 7pm?

Do you not go with your colored tag?

In today's world of political correctness, you can't say "colored" anymore. It should read "african-american" tag...

sorry - meant to say red, white, purple, black, brown, tan, yellow, green, etc

I've never been on any other cruise line, but it sure was hard for me leaving the Magic, I was hanging onto the rail for dear life screaming, "Heck no, I won't go" more than once. You should have seen my DD face, it was priceless!!! I know that's not the answer you wanted, but really, the disembarkation was quite simple. We walked off the ship around 8:55, went and collected our luggage at our designated loaction, went to the customs counter, and walked through the door, all in a matter of minutes.

I agree with the "heck no, I wont go"

only thing that may help me get off the ship is that the following Mon we get to book our first trip "home" to the Wilderness Lodge for Oct 04

We were on Carnival the year before we went on Disney. On Carnival, we waited forever for our color to be called! It was horrible, you couldn't be in your room, had to wait in a designated spot, etc. Disney, when you are ready, you just walk off, your luggage is by room, you pick it up, a porter is there if you need and you are gone! Yes it is too easy for those of us that don't want to go but since we were going to have the 3 kids with us this year, there is no way they could wait hours for their color to be called. Disney has this one down. Now I didn't wait for the doors to open, so I don't know if there is a line if you try to be the first off but we were in early seating and didn't have any problems. This is another area where Disney has the other lines beat!

It is a very simple processon DCL. Eat your breakfast, snag a porter (don't forget to tip him about $2.00 per bag as they do work hard) and he will take his cart and your customs form and zip you right through. You go to the area of your color and the bags are all lined up by room number. He will then take them where you want. We use avis so he brought us to the shuttle. Yes you can check your bags in with Delta at the port. I personally would not want my bags lieing around the airport for nine hours but you could do that.

I was told that DCL is easy because they have room for ALL the luggage to be put out at once, whereas other cruise lines don't. We have been on two Disney cruises and disembarkation was a very simple, quick process. We also took a Carnival cruise last year and had to wait and wait and wait to get off the ship because their area for luggage isn't as large. They put out one color tags and call that color, then they put out another color and call that one, etc. We had to wait for quite awhile in the Universe Lounge before we could get off the ship.

I don't remember the exact process when we disembarked from the Norway, but I do remember sitting around a long time. The luggage was lined up, row after row after row, and our bags were not together. We had to search several rows until we found everything. There were several customs inspectors and they were all searching bags, which didn't help speed things up.

One thing I did do when we left the Wonder, was write "1 of 3", "2 of 3" and "3 of 3" on the tags. All three suitcases were side by side, the porter loaded them on his cart, dropped our customs slip in the box and away we went. Extremely easy.......

DCL definitely has the process down to a science.

It's a good thing DCL does it the way they do. We had 6 bags (4 people) and it took quite a bit of searching to round them all up. Our garment back was still missing. Got a DCL person to help us look - they called up front & someone had taken our bag and it was by the exit! A little nerve-wracking, to say the least!

For what it worth.....our TA tells us Disney's "WONDERful" disembarkation is due to the fact that Disney OWNS their own terminal (whereas the others don't). I don't know why this would matter...but I guess they can do it "their own way" instead of conforming to what someone else "wants" them to do. Have been on Carnival and it wasn't too bad (but we had a suite..so we got preferential treatment). On the Norway..it was horrible!! Seems like we waited FOREVER! Can't wait to see how "WONDERful" Disney is from all I've read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter