Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

My family is staying off-site. I would like to purchase just the basic magic band (not the plus). However, when I go to the Disney Store I don't see any. Am I missing something? Can I still purchase a basic magic band? If so, how?
It appears on ShopDisney the MagicBand 2.0 bands are just the "graphic" ones. These are more expensive than solid color MB2 bands.

You might have to wait to get solid color MB2 band until you get on site.

If you are flying in, the Disney Store in the Orlando airport had some solid color MagicBand 2 bands back in October. Or Pin Traders at Disney Springs, or one of the shops in the parks.

I don't know if Disney has stopped making/selling the solid color MB2 bands yet.

Last edited:
We found the limited benefits from MB+ didn’t come close to the hassles of synching issues and charging requirements. I ended up using my Apple Watch for purchases, since it was just easier to do without needing to enter a pin every time. We had limited luck getting some of the statues to do anything and never got around to trying the games in HS. Perhaps if they expand the benefits we will become bigger fans.

My MB+ and 2.0s came today. We canceled our Jan trip and delayed to Nov 2023. Should I charge them or do anything now - or just stick them away for a year?

My MB+ and 2.0s came today. We canceled our Jan trip and delayed to Nov 2023. Should I charge them or do anything now - or just stick them away for a year?
I don’t know the answer but I got mine after our trip (when they were a new thing and had Delayed shipping). I charged mine and updated it and shut it off completely. I figure in 6 months I will check on it and update and charge if necessary then shut it off til our trip. Our trip is about 11 months after getting the bands for the last trip (late)

Ok magic band plus question.

1. 1 account for wife and 2 kids.
2. Daughters magic band plus is attached to my account under name.
3. I downloaded app to her phone with my user name and password. Was able to Bluetooth link her band on her phone. I see charge I can make changes. I even did updates. No issues.
4. Disney play app

Ok my question now. How did I getcthe play app to work with this band. I logged into my play app on her phone. My user name and password. It says add magic band plus and then I’m stuck. I get pushed back to Disney experience app and says to scan band. But it’s already attached like I said.

Any suggestions? Need more info from me?

Thanks!

Found my own answer today the hard way. My daughter hd to be removed from my account and on her own account but that caused all of her plans with our family to dissappear! Sooooooo 30 mins later they had it all fixed. So no harm no foul. Lol. They gave us 2 anytime passes for rides at HS tonight so falcon and Mickey railroad for us after dinner. So now I know how to use the play app and Disney experience together but it means my daughter needs her complete own account cause she is 13 now and can have one I guess. So that will be my project before next trip. Get her own account and I’ll just connect her to my account with my son and wife. I should pull my wife off at the same time maybe to not have future issues maybe.

Help! I ordered my DD's pre-trip MB earlier, now I cannot order the bands for my DH or me. Is there a way around this?

Help! I ordered my DD's pre-trip MB earlier, now I cannot order the bands for my DH or me. Is there a way around this?
Unfortunately I don’t believe so unless they have changed their system. The same thing happened to me where I ordered my daughter’s band then was unable later to order one for myself.

If anyone has found a way around this, please share.

What is the problem? Why are scrappinginontario and Ms.S.White unable to order MBs for the rest of their party, after ordering for some of them?

I was JUST about to place a partial order myself. Why would Disney block partial MB orders?

What is the problem? Why are scrappinginontario and Ms.S.White unable to order MBs for the rest of their party, after ordering for some of them?

I was JUST about to place a partial order myself. Why would Disney block partial MB orders?
I thought ordering bands for some in the party, but not others, was seen as declining pre-arrival bands for those you are not ordering for.

Found my own answer today the hard way. My daughter hd to be removed from my account and on her own account but that caused all of her plans with our family to dissappear! Sooooooo 30 mins later they had it all fixed. So no harm no foul. Lol. They gave us 2 anytime passes for rides at HS tonight so falcon and Mickey railroad for us after dinner. So now I know how to use the play app and Disney experience together but it means my daughter needs her complete own account cause she is 13 now and can have one I guess. So that will be my project before next trip. Get her own account and I’ll just connect her to my account with my son and wife. I should pull my wife off at the same time maybe to not have future issues maybe.
Similar to what I ran into and posted about in Post #179 of this thread, however I called and split our son off to his own account before our trip.

For 13 and up who have their own phones, If you want to use the Fab 50 Quest or Batuu Bounty Hunters, its just easier for each to be on separate MDE and Play Parks accounts. (13 and up can have own MDE account, any age can have Play Parks account)

I have multiple older magicbands... can I transfer one to a relative when we check into a Disney hotel?

You cannot place a partial magic band order for a trip. I have never heard of anyone being able to order for others after doing so. We did a partial order for next trip because one didn’t have one and the rest of us have the new bands so we didn’t need them. It warned us at some point during the order process that you won’t be able to place another order for discounted bands after placing the order for one person. Of course they will happily let you order some at full price from shop Disney and then you can link to your account when they arrive.

You cannot place a partial magic band order for a trip. I have never heard of anyone being able to order for others after doing so. We did a partial order for next trip because one didn’t have one and the rest of us have the new bands so we didn’t need them. It warned us at some point during the order process that you won’t be able to place another order for discounted bands after placing the order for one person. Of course they will happily let you order some at full price from shop Disney and then you can link to your account when they arrive.
I purchased a sale MB+ a few days ago on ShopDisney. Tonight I haven't had any trouble at all putting a 2nd MB in my cart tonight, and starting the checkout process.
Shouldn't I be seeing some type of error about purchasing for another member of our party?
Or, is it because I didn't actually receive a discount on my first purchase? I have a Disney hotel reservation -- what was I supposed to have done, to get a MB discount?

And as a side note, ShopDisney shipping tonight is $7. When I bought the same MB a few days ago for the same price, they charged me $9 shipping. WTH?

I purchased a sale MB+ a few days ago on ShopDisney. Tonight I haven't had any trouble at all putting a 2nd MB in my cart tonight, and starting the checkout process.
Shouldn't I be seeing some type of error about purchasing for another member of our party?
Or, is it because I didn't actually receive a discount on my first purchase? I have a Disney hotel reservation -- what was I supposed to have done, to get a MB discount?

And as a side note, ShopDisney shipping tonight is $7. When I bought the same MB a few days ago for the same price, they charged me $9 shipping. WTH?
This is a different scenario. Ordering multiple times from Shop Disney is fine.

The discussion above was about purchasing reduced priced bands on MDE for an upcoming trip. All bands on MDE must be purchased in one transaction.

Often questions are asked about mb and how they work. This is a link to Disney’s FAQ.
Magic Band FAQ Link

Some common questions asked here on the DIS:

Abbreviation: mb

1. Do I need a MagicBand?
No, you do not need a MagicBand. You may use your hard ticket/card or Disney MagicMobile instead.
Disney MagicMobile Link

2. May we use old MagicBands?
Yes, however battery life on the mb typically lasts up to 2 years, although posters have reported lasting longer. The battery is needed for attraction photos where the attraction senses your mb. Even with the battery expired, the mb will work on tapstiles. OR as long as you have the MDE app on your phone and the Bluetooth is ON, they will send the photo to your phone (it will be on your MDE account), bypassing the need of a new battery.

3. Can other people use my mb or card?
According to Disney, no.
Disney's Policy on transferring MagicBands.

4. How do I order a mb?
Staying on site: Go into MDE and click on Tickets and MagicBands.
Staying off site: Go to ShopDisney or purchase at a theme park, resort, or Disney Springs.

5. Options for resort guest MBs changes frequently - just keep looking. BUT, all MBs must be ordered at the same time. If you place an order for only part of your group, the rest might not be able to purchase. (This may vary with DVC and AP) (If anyone can confirm recent experience that would be much appreciated!)

The next gen magic bands, Magic Band+, are expected to be released in 2022.
Disney’s Magic Band+ Info
For the Magic Mobile link how does that work for a family. Friend has 2 young children on her MDE account whose ticket will be linked to her account. When entering the parks, can all 3 of them use her phone with their ticket to enter?

For the Magic Mobile link how does that work for a family. Friend has 2 young children on her MDE account whose ticket will be linked to her account. When entering the parks, can all 3 of them use her phone with their ticket to enter?
Yes. She would need to open the wallet app (Apple Wallet or Google Pay depending on what phone she has) and then swipe through and touch her phone to the reader for each persons pass.

Hi,

We have the magicband+ for our upcoming trip. How do my husband and kids link their magic bands to their phone? Do they all download the app and log in under my account to link theirs?

Thank you!

We had to reschedule our October Disney World trip because I got Covid, and had already gotten Magic Bands for that trip. We're rescheduled for Dec. 17 - 21, and My Disney Experience now says:

You Haven't Ordered New MagicBands
You don't have new MagicBands associated with this Disney Resort hotel stay.
MagicBands are available for purchase at select retail locations.

Does this mean we can't use the Magic Bands we already purchased?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter