Disney announces new Ticket system for WDW

From WDWNT:

Tickets related to a particular park will be retired as part of these changes, so there will be no more 1-day Magic Kingdom-only tickets offered. Everything is back to one price.

Under the new system, 1-Day base tickets are valid for admission on the specific start date selected. Multi-day tickets are valid for admission beginning on the start date selected and must be used within a limited time period, as indicated below:

Ticket Duration Valid Use Period
1-Day Ticket Only the start date selected
2-Day Ticket Any 2 days within 4 days beginning on the start date
3-Day Ticket Any 3 days within 5 days beginning on the start date
4-Day Ticket Any 4 days within 7 days beginning on the start date
5-Day Ticket Any 5 days within 8 days beginning on the start date
6-Day Ticket Any 6 days within 9 days beginning on the start date
7-Day Ticket Any 7 days within 10 days beginning on the start date
8-Day Ticket Any 8 days within 12 days beginning on the start date
9-Day Ticket Any 9 days within 13 days beginning on the start date
10-Day Ticket Any 10 days within 14 days beginning on the start date

That sucks for people who like to take rest days. When we took our trip we had 10 days in Florida. And initially only 5 day tickets so we could have rest days in between.

That sucks for people who like to take rest days. When we took our trip we had 10 days in Florida. And initially only 5 day tickets so we could have rest days in between.

You can still go for 10 days and buy a 5 day ticket. You just need to use them within their windows.

There is a way to sort of “work” the system. Let’s say you wank to go Oct. 5-8. You have 7 days to use those tickets. Oct. 5th may cost $89 but Oct. 4th is $85. Select Oct. 4th because then each day of your ticket is $85 instead of $89 saving you money.

was at a work conference and just back so didn't have a chance to read all the posts, but I was wondering if you could do that - OR do you have to start on the day you select as your start date? So in that scenario you have to use Oct 4th as your first day you can't start on the 5th?

If not, then there is that wiggle room you describe, to start on the cheapest day that covers the window you would have even if before you will actually arrive

It does bring to mind how will outside sellers sell tickets with these variable price structures. Will you still be able to buy your discount tickets through Undercover tourist? Or will they only be able to sell the "anytime" tickets.

I am sure the resellers will still sell tickets, but you may not get the great deals people have become accustomed to, especially around price increase time. Resellers who have the ability to sell etickets and/or load tickets at the time of purchase on blank ticket media like Disney does will still negotiate a contract and focus on whatever products will make them the most money. For years the resellers haven’t (for the most part) offered any discounts on one and two day tickets, and I assume that is because Disney didn’t give them any wiggle room on those products. We could see the same thing happening to other tickets as well. I think they may still offer at least some discounts on the longer tickets.

What will probably happen less frequently are the bulk purchase of pre-loaded tickets that used to be the bread and butter of the reseller’s business. It will be difficult to predict in advance specifically which ticket will be a big seller. I think the sales will be more “on demand” in one format or another. So there won’t be the big rush right after a price increase to buy “old” tickets at a great price. You will just buy it whenever you buy it because the ticket doesn’t exist until you purchase it.

I am a little disappointed in the timing. The earliest I can renew my AP is the end of October since it expires the end of December. So I have no choice but to wait and see how expensive they are after the 16th. I will miss out by just a couple weeks. Also, my FP day for my next trip falls right around the 16th, so I am hoping the system doesn’t crash that day. October will be a stressful month regarding Disney in my house. :sad: At least I will have a non Disney vacation to get my mind off of it.

was at a work conference and just back so didn't have a chance to read all the posts, but I was wondering if you could do that - OR do you have to start on the day you select as your start date? So in that scenario you have to use Oct 4th as your first day you can't start on the 5th?

If not, then there is that wiggle room you describe, to start on the cheapest day that covers the window you would have even if before you will actually arrive
I have to imagine there is the wiggle room because someones vacation may not necessarily begin when they start staying at a Disney resort.

You can still go for 10 days and buy a 5 day ticket. You just need to use them within their windows.
With a 5 day ticket, you need to use it within 8 days of the first ticket, so now he is going to have to calculate is the flexible option best or a combo of like a 3 and a 2- looking at the calendar since depending on the days, there will be all sorts of different prices. Lots of fun! So much simpler.

With a 5 day ticket, you need to use it within 8 days of the first ticket, so now he is going to have to calculate is the flexible option best or a combo of like a 3 and a 2- looking at the calendar since depending on the days, there will be all sorts of different prices. Lots of fun! So much simpler.
Not if you are staying onsite. The usage period would be 8 days or their resort stay, whichever is longer.

Another way to try to get people onsite vs off.

I don't understand.

You buy a 5 day ticket. You pay the same price for all tickets as the first day you book, so hopefully you can book the cheapest day. If you are staying 10 days, you need to be sure to use all 5 tickets by your 8th day?

I don't understand.

You buy a 5 day ticket. You pay the same price for all tickets as the first day you book, so hopefully you can book the cheapest day. If you are staying 10 days, you need to be sure to use all 5 tickets by your 8th day?
If you buy a 10-day ticket you have a 14 day window to use them.

Not if you are staying onsite. The usage period would be 8 days or their resort stay, whichever is longer.

Another way to try to get people onsite vs off.

You're the first person I've seen mention that you get the length of stay to use your tickets (so a person with a 4-day ticket would still get 14 days to use them as long as they are staying onsite for 14 days). I'm not sure that's accurate, but hopefully others will chime in and either confirm or deny.

You're the first person I've seen mention that you get the length of stay to use your tickets (so a person with a 4-day ticket would still get 14 days to use them as long as they are staying onsite for 14 days). I'm not sure that's accurate, but hopefully others will chime in and either confirm or deny.
As long as the tickets were booked as a package. Per TA info anyways.

I don't understand.

Yes.

Though I see some are saying if you stay on site, you'll get the length of your stay to use your tickets, but I don't think that's confirmed.

I’m pretty sure I’ve decided to get an AP for my October 2019 trip. Do you guys think I should bite the bullet and purchase it now (to wait and activate then) due to the potential price increase?

The only thing I’m worried about is, what if they add AP Blackout dates with all this? Would that effect my AP (thus potentially rendering it useless for my trip dates) or is it something they’d grandfather in for future APs?

So you just can't go to Magic Kingdom for a day anymore? Is that correct?

In my family, I'm the outlier. I plan and plan and plan and we spend days at Disney. The rest of my family, they go to Orlando, stay with friends or family and wake up to say "hey let's go to Disney (MK) today!"

So now, if I'm understanding correctly, that's not an option anymore?

I don't understand why they don't outsource their entire IT division to Amazon Web Services. Much better to higher people who know what they are doing.

They already do outsource a lot of their IT needs to HP.

It’s funny that you mention Amazon Web Services, as they’re also starting to show signs that their current system may grow unmanageable due to sheer sprawl. Services are dropped without warning. There’s a great article on Forbes about it, I think it’s from January. No tech partner is a sure thing right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter