Disney cruise beverage tasting

mlshannon

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done the beverage tasting on the Fantasy cruise? My husband wants to try it but I can't find the prices of them. If you have experienced this activity how much was it and did you enjoy it?

I haven't been on the Fantasy specifically but we've enjoyed the tastings we've done on the smaller ships.

Here is a video I watched recently on youtube that gives a quick rundown of most of them:

Has anyone done the beverage tasting on the Fantasy cruise? My husband wants to try it but I can't find the prices of them. If you have experienced this activity how much was it and did you enjoy it?

Prices on the upcoming HI Cruises

Champagne - $38 per person
Chocolate and Liquor - $37
Whiskey - $28
Mixology - $25
Martini - $25
Mojito - $23
Tequila and Margarita - $23

We enjoy them all. Current Covid restrictions mean that you don't get to play bartender in the Mixology class (half the fun). So the Mixology class quality really depends on the personality of the bartender and the drinks they make. We did a cruise recently where we did not enjoy the mixology class as much as we had in the past. But then did one a few days later and had a great time. Same bartender, but different drinks.

There are Cognac and Rum tasting classes as well. These are the same price as the Whiskey tasting as I recall.

Margarita tequila tasting gave you 6 tastings items with the event. The chocolate liqueur tasting gave 6 also. Just did those last week.

So not a huge drinker, but I am a huge chocolate lover. I signed up for the alcohol and chocolate class. Does anyone know if it’s all hard liquor? Is the chocolate anything special?

So not a huge drinker, but I am a huge chocolate lover. I signed up for the alcohol and chocolate class. Does anyone know if it’s all hard liquor? Is the chocolate anything special?
You will get Champagne, a red wine, a Port, and scotch

Piggybacking on this. Anyone done the bourbon tasting and can describe how it was? In searching past disboards threads, I found examples of the beverages at the whiskey tasting (which includes scotch and irish whisky), but not the bourbon tasting. We have both the whiskey tasting and bourbon tasting listed as separate events on our cruise, so I know it must be different, but can't find any accounts of it. Both are #28.

To answer OP's question, I've done mixology and martini before. Mixology the drinks were all a little too sweet for my taste. I can't recall what they were exactly except that they mostly involved a mix of fruit juices, and at the end they did a layered expresso/baileys shot. If you like the DCL "drinks of the day" this is probably a good one for you. I liked martini better because they did give you a traditional gin martini as well as a dirty martini, but the other three were all super sweet too (apple martini, lemon martini, chocolate martini).

I note: while times can vary ship to ship, I've found that in general, the cocktail-type ones (mixology, martini, mojito) as well as wine/beer are typically held in the afternoons, ranging from noon-4pm. The spirits ones (bourbon/cognac/whiskey/rum) tend to be at night.

Piggybacking on this. Anyone done the bourbon tasting and can describe how it was? In searching past disboards threads, I found examples of the beverages at the whiskey tasting (which includes scotch and irish whisky), but not the bourbon tasting. We have both the whiskey tasting and bourbon tasting listed as separate events on our cruise, so I know it must be different, but can't find any accounts of it. Both are #28.

I don't know how soon you're cruising, but (covid willing) we'll be cruising on Jan 31 and have the bourbon booked one of the evenings. I can report back after.

To answer OP's question, I've done mixology and martini before. Mixology the drinks were all a little too sweet for my taste. I can't recall what they were exactly except that they mostly involved a mix of fruit juices, and at the end they did a layered expresso/baileys shot. If you like the DCL "drinks of the day" this is probably a good one for you. I liked martini better because they did give you a traditional gin martini as well as a dirty martini, but the other three were all super sweet too (apple martini, lemon martini, chocolate martini).

I note: while times can vary ship to ship, I've found that in general, the cocktail-type ones (mixology, martini, mojito) as well as wine/beer are typically held in the afternoons, ranging from noon-4pm. The spirits ones (bourbon/cognac/whiskey/rum) tend to be at night.

We did the bourbon tasting. The bartender basically started by saying “bourbon is whiskey” and then spent the rest of the time telling us about whiskey. Overall, I was pretty unimpressed. I don’t remember the specific drinks, except that one of them was a Jack Daniels. We definitely did not have scotch or Irish whiskey though, so maybe it is different. Or maybe it was just the bartender.

OP, we did a few different tastings on our most recent cruise (in November) and our favorite by far was the mojito tasting. It was on Castaway, and the bartender taught us how to make our own mojitos and her favorite way to mix them up with different flavors, and had lots of interesting info about rum. I can’t remember how much it was, but I think it was one of the less expensive ones, $23 or $28? Somewhere in there. But there was a lot of rum, so I might not be remembering correctly, haha.

It was a mix of wine, and hard liquor, a champagne perhaps? I don't recall exactly, but I've attached a pic.

Attachments

• DCtasting.JPG
    DCtasting.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 31
I don't know how soon you're cruising, but (covid willing) we'll be cruising on Jan 31 and have the bourbon booked one of the evenings. I can report back after.
Thanks! We are going in April so would love your review.

We did the bourbon tasting. The bartender basically started by saying “bourbon is whiskey” and then spent the rest of the time telling us about whiskey. Overall, I was pretty unimpressed. I don’t remember the specific drinks, except that one of them was a Jack Daniels. We definitely did not have scotch or Irish whiskey though, so maybe it is different. Or maybe it was just the bartender.
Hmm, Jack Daniels is kinda disappointing, but would be interested in knowing what the others are. If they aren’t interesting bourbons, I’d rather just order something of my choosing a la carte—$28 can buy a nice drink!

This and the pre-covid mixology (passengers mixing drinks) have been our favorite. The chocolate is high quality; it's Valrhona. However, it isn't a lot of chocolate. It's about how the liquor and chocolates interact with each other. The 25 year port is good quality.

Just got off Fantasy yesterday. I did the:
- Tequila - excellent seminar, 4 tequilas and 2 mixed drinks
- Whiskey - OK, host talked too long then gave us 2 decent whiskeys, 1 OK and one paint stripper (Whistle Pig Rye)
- Beer - OK, 4 beers and 1 beer cocktail. Nothing special, all beers you’ve had before.
- Rum - Awesome, but I’m a rum guy. 3 decent rums, 1 excellent one (Zacappa 23) and a rum old fashioned. Nice
- Champagne - 4 decent champagnes 2 very good ones, excellent hostess (Eka)
- Chocolate and Liquor - Really, really fun. Decent booze and premium chocolate you can only get aboard the ships. Definitely worth doing!
- Wine - 2 whites, 1 rose and 3 reds. All decent to very good. Eka again, excellent job.
- Bourbon - same host as the whiskey, talked the whisky talk with a little about bourbon. 4 bourbons, 2 good, 1 decent and 1 pretty bad. Blanton’s was definitely the highlight.

Hope that’s helpful! All were between $25 and $30 if I recall correctly. I just realized I look like a total lush from that list too! They’re all SMALL samples, see….. :-D

Hope that’s helpful! All were between $25 and $30 if I recall correctly. I just realized I look like a total lush from that list too! They’re all SMALL samples, see….. :-D
Lol that's what vacations are for--enjoying yourself. Did you pre-book all of them or were there slots available once onboard? All for our upcoming cruise are sold out, but I'm hoping some slots will be available onboard.

Hmm, Jack Daniels is kinda disappointing, but would be interested in knowing what the others are. If they aren’t interesting bourbons, I’d rather just order something of my choosing a la carte—$28 can buy a nice drink!
I wish I could remember the others! It was pretty disappointing over all, to be honest.

We just booked our tastings for the Dream May 16th cruise last night (Jan 15th). We have done numerous tastings over 10 cruises and they are extremely educational, worth the money, and tasty.

For the Dream cruise:
Champagne 2:00 pm $38 per person (PP)
Bourbon 8:00 pm $28 pp
Cognac 8:00 pm $28 pp
Whiskey 8:00 pm $28 pp
We have done all the wine tastings but this is just a 4-day cruise and not enough time. (The wines chosen are many I have never had the opportunity to try).

The selections they provide for the liquor tasting are well beyond the price you pay for the class. It is a chance to taste something we could not afford if paying by the drink. Absolutely a very good investment in time and money for the quality of liquors provided in the tastings. And you will learn more than the price of the class. Go For It. Surprise him !!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter