Disney Cruise Line Updates Castaway Club Membership Requirements

Has anyone actually been removed from the Castaway Club yet? I've seen 1 report of a reservations castmember saying someone who hadn't cruised in over 5 years would be removed, but haven't seen any reports of people who expected to book activities or do online check-in as Silver/Gold/Platinum/Pearl and haven't been able to. It is possible that DCL is considering making this change but hasn't actually done so yet.
My moms first Disney cruise was 2001. When she booked to come with us for 12/2024 it was May of this year.
This change from what I have read was to take place March 2024 before she booked her 2024 cruise.

With that said when it came time for her to book on board activity's she was able to do it as silver. So is Disney even enforcing the change or are they maybe giving people a grace period?

My moms first Disney cruise was 2001. When she booked to come with us for 12/2024 it was May of this year.
This change from what I have read was to take place March 2024 before she booked her 2024 cruise.

With that said when it came time for her to book on board activity's she was able to do it as silver. So is Disney even enforcing the change or are they maybe giving people a grace period?
We have read anecdotally of nobody being purged yet, so that indicates Disney is either not really enforcing it, or giving a grace period.

The new T&C also state “However, DCL may (but is not required to) extend the Activity Period and/or continue making Program Benefits available to Member if Member does not book or complete an eligible DCL cruise within their Activity Period; such decisions shall be in DCL’s sole discretion.”

So maybe they’re using that to allow unspecified grace periods.

I myself hadn’t cruised since 2013, but in November was able to book a cruise for 2025 as a Silver when I called (early booking on the website didn’t work for me). The CM never said a single word to me about the policy change, and I didn’t know about it at the time. My CC status still shows as Silver, when I booked and now. I’ll see if I still get to book activities and check-in, etc., on my early dates. Hoping that since I do have a cruise booked now I’ll be grandfathered in.

Guess I don't understand what all the fuss is. Most loyalty programs have a finite use it or lose paradigm and DCL is just moving to it. I am just shy of Pearl after this year but have no idea if I will ever sail Disney again or not - I have other travel plans and I am further along in my years. That said I haven't used any of my "Platinum" perks in a number of years. I am never in a rush to get on the ship, Palo is not a must do and the treat in the room I always have to be reminded of. I might actually use a Photopass reward if I got it.
I'm kind of with you. I think the only benefits we generally use are the stateroom gifts (I do pass some of them on to family if I get too many duplicates or bags I don't need), lanyard (though I have prior ones I could always use) and shopping discount. Last cruise we got chocolates in our room on the last night because I'd forgotten to call about the option for sparkling wine or chocolates. We haven't used our Palo perk for the last two cruises because I'm not thrilled with the menu changes (Wish) but we will use it on the upcoming cruise unless we decide to cancel. There's no longer any board any time perk for Platinum and I really prefer to board later in the morning when it's open boarding and my room is ready. The last two times and our upcoming one we are taking DCL transfers and they make you arrive early and give you an early boarding group which I don't really like but it's got nothing to do with CC status. Mostly we like the 10% discount.

If something happened in my life and I could not cruise for five years and I ended up losing my pearl status I would never cruise DCL again It’s a slap in the face to a loyal customer. I’d be done.
We cruised several years with Disney 2-3 times a year with our kids and then we took a hiatus around 2017. Not even a conscious thing. But we bought dvc about that time and started doing more theme parks (staying at all the different resorts) and also started cruising other lines— new ports, etc. And we also traveled to Europe a couple of times. Well then covid happened and it was September 2023 before we stepped back onto the Disney Fantasy with our two youngest kids, now teens. It was really a dramatic experience. Dh and I looked at each other when we walked onto the ship and he was like I cannot believe it’s been like 6 years since we’ve been on a Disney cruise. Time really does fly. So it does happen to “serious” Disney cruisers. It’s absolutely crazy for Disney to think about discounting people like us. The idea that Disney would just remove us is insane. No other cruise line does that. I really cannot tell you how many hundreds of thousands of dollars we have spent with Disney corp when we add up DVC and the insane amount spent on cruises. Our DVC dues alone are over 10k per year. Since Covid I have become increasingly disgusted with Disney as a company. They better watch out or they will go down the tubes. Everyone thinks companies like Disney are invincible but most companies that were on the Fortune 500 50 years ago are not there today.
I'm kind of with you. I think the only benefits we generally use are the stateroom gifts (I do pass some of them on to family if I get too many duplicates or bags I don't need), lanyard (though I have prior ones I could always use) and shopping discount. Last cruise we got chocolates in our room on the last night because I'd forgotten to call about the option for sparkling wine or chocolates. We haven't used our Palo perk for the last two cruises because I'm not thrilled with the menu changes (Wish) but we will use it on the upcoming cruise unless we decide to cancel. There's no longer any board any time perk for Platinum and I really prefer to board later in the morning when it's open boarding and my room is ready. The last two times and our upcoming one we are taking DCL transfers and they make you arrive early and give you an early boarding group which I don't really like but it's got nothing to do with CC status. Mostly we like the 10% discount.
we also do not use palo perk
Never shop in the gift stores
Only thing we use are free gifts
But we like to see cruises listed on castaway page— it is just cool. It would be so sad for Disney to remove that

We cruised several years with Disney 2-3 times a year with our kids and then we took a hiatus around 2017. Not even a conscious thing. But we bought dvc about that time and started doing more theme parks (staying at all the different resorts) and also started cruising other lines— new ports, etc. And we also traveled to Europe a couple of times. Well then covid happened and it was September 2023 before we stepped back onto the Disney Fantasy with our two youngest kids, now teens. It was really a dramatic experience. Dh and I looked at each other when we walked onto the ship and he was like I cannot believe it’s been like 6 years since we’ve been on a Disney cruise. Time really does fly. So it does happen to “serious” Disney cruisers. It’s absolutely crazy for Disney to think about discounting people like us. The idea that Disney would just remove us is insane. No other cruise line does that. I really cannot tell you how many hundreds of thousands of dollars we have spent with Disney corp when we add up DVC and the insane amount spent on cruises. Our DVC dues alone are over 10k per year. Since Covid I have become increasingly disgusted with Disney as a company. They better watch out or they will go down the tubes. Everyone thinks companies like Disney are invincible but most companies that were on the Fortune 500 50 years ago are not there today.

we also do not use palo perk
Never shop in the gift stores
Only thing we use are free gifts
But we like to see cruises listed on castaway page— it is just cool. It would be so sad for Disney to remove that
A lot of it is the memories that’s what forms the attachment. We took a 5 year break from WDW after making multiple trips in a couple of years time. 5 years does go fast when your busy doing other things. We may take permanent break from WDW now that the cost is just absurd in my opinion. It is insane, but not surprising under the current management

It’s not the benefits that people care about.

...................................... The idea that Disney would just remove us is insane. No other cruise line does that. .....................................
r.e. bold -- Our Cruise Line of choice has a 3 Year time frame where if you don't cruise - you are back to ZERO POINTS.

r.e. bold -- Our Cruise Line of choice has a 3 Year time frame where if you don't cruise - you are back to ZERO POINTS.
Yes, DCL joins the illustrious ranks of ultra-budget cruise line MSC as two of the only cruise lines that have an expiration clause in their loyalty programs. (Not that there's anything wrong with MSC--I enjoy sailing Yacht Club--it's just not really the market segment that I would expect DCL to be matching.)

MSC does make up for it a bit by aggressively tier matching other programs though. I was Diamond with MSC (the top tier) before I stepped foot on one of their cruise ships for the first time.

Yes, DCL joins the illustrious ranks of ultra-budget cruise line MSC as two of the only cruise lines that have an expiration clause in their loyalty programs. (Not that there's anything wrong with MSC--I enjoy sailing Yacht Club--it's just not really the market segment that I would expect DCL to be matching.)

MSC does make up for it a bit by aggressively tier matching other programs though. I was Diamond with MSC (the top tier) before I stepped foot on one of their cruise ships for the first time.
With MSC's matching our DCL Gold we quickly made Diamond after a couple of cruises since we only cruise YC. We feel that YC is truly a bargain compared to DCL Concierge and even at times some DCL Verandah rates.

We have loyalty accounts on 4 other cruise lines and none have expiration. And they are the big cruise lines. If you are talking about Msc they are a different animal. They are a privately owned shipping company that recently (as far as their company history goes) got into the cruise industry. Their shipping company plays dirty but that’s a whole other issue and world. But it doesn’t surprise me that their cruise line is aggressive too. I’m not interested in being treated like a commodity.

A lot of it is the memories that’s what forms the attachment. We took a 5 year break from WDW after making multiple trips in a couple of years time. 5 years does go fast when your busy doing other things. We may take permanent break from WDW now that the cost is just absurd in my opinion. It is insane, but not surprising under the current management
We haven’t been to the parks since Covid except for moonlight magic which is “free” for dvc. We are seriously disgusted with Disney. It is a big world and we have branched out. We also spend time at Universal.. along with a lot of ex Disney employees and management running their parks (and doing a fabulous job I might add). I really do not get Disney current management. I really think they are trying to get rid of customers— I just can’t see it any other way. Like if you just look at that genie thing- it looks, to be blunt, awful. I wanted to use another word but refrained. We haven’t used it. But we’ve seen plenty of utube videos and read about it. Like I want to wake up at the crack of dawn and mess around with my phone to try to get a precious reservation for Tron or whatever ride? Why? Universal can be expensive too, although their annual passes come with a lot more perks that make them a good deal IMO, but at universal when you buy their “genie” equivalent, you get to go in the fast lane whenever you want when you want. It’s like Disney wants to be my daddy and tell me what to do and make my life difficult with a lot of rules that don’t make any sense. It’s vacation, not kindergarten. Now Disney is saying if you don’t take a cruise within five years or whatever you’re out of the special club lol. Grow up, Disney! Who is in charge at that company? A high school hall monitor?

I have worked for a major airline in customer service. The amount of people who said after a complaint: "I am never flying with you again!"... the majority flew with us again within a reasonable period. Probably because direct flights, good service and being reliable was more important than whatever happened.

And those who didn't, there were dozens of others to replace them.

My guess is, this will be the same for those here who say "if I lose my status, I will never sail with Disney again," will probably sail with Disney again if they want to. By that time, you might still be upset, but think the Disney experience is more important, whether that is about service, characters, kids clubs, convenience over parks, than the losing of status.

There will be some who won't go back after finding out, but my guess: the majority of those who want to go back, will go back.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney does implement exceptions. At the airline, we had a yearly status renewal in our loyalty program, if you couldn't fly for a year because of pregnancy or disease, status was extended without much problem. Change of jobs, exceptions were possible.

Last edited:
We have loyalty accounts on 4 other cruise lines and none have expiration. And they are the big cruise lines. If you are talking about Msc they are a different animal. They are a privately owned shipping company that recently (as far as their company history goes) got into the cruise industry. Their shipping company plays dirty but that’s a whole other issue and world. But it doesn’t surprise me that their cruise line is aggressive too. I’m not interested in being treated like a commodity.
r.e. bold -- *commodity* ????

We can cruise MSC Yacht Club Level at Thousands le$$ than DCL Concierge and receive a level of Concierge higher than DCL can provide thus we do not feel like a SOFT COMMODITY such as cattle as many people seem to feel like by the Airline industry. p.s. - even if we chose an Inside the savings can be $700

Last edited:
I have worked for a major airline in customer service. The amount of people who said after a complaint: "I am never flying with you again!"... the majority flew with us again within a reasonable period. Probably because direct flights, good service and being reliable was more important than whatever happened.

And those who didn't, there were dozens of others to replace them.

My guess is, this will be the same for those here who say "if I lose my status, I will never sail with Disney again," will probably sail with Disney again if they want to. By that time, you might still be upset, but think the Disney experience is more important, whether that is about service, characters, kids clubs, convenience over parks, than the losing of status.

There will be some who won't go back after finding out, but my guess: the majority of those who want to go back, will go back.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney does implement exceptions. At the airline, we had a yearly status renewal in our loyalty program, if you couldn't fly for a year because of pregnancy or disease, status was extended without much problem. Change of jobs, exceptions were possible.
That's because they needed to get somewhere and maybe that airline has the best flight at the best prices. DCL will never have the best prices nor the best itinerary and there's lots of competition in the cruise market.

That's not even a good comparison. It also doesn't take people months to save up for a plane ticket. Most frequent fliers use miles and fly for free anyway.

If you are flying in a day early and staying at the MCO Hyatt using DCL transfers, chose the airport to port option. We do this and aren’t on a time schedule and arrive to the port later. Now if leaving from a resort that won’t work for you.

That's because they needed to get somewhere and maybe that airline has the best flight at the best prices. DCL will never have the best prices nor the best itinerary and there's lots of competition in the cruise market.

That's not even a good comparison. It also doesn't take people months to save up for a plane ticket. Most frequent fliers use miles and fly for free anyway.
Not really my point, that's why I left price out of it.

What I was trying to say, it happens often that someone is loyal to a brand, has a complaint and then says "I will never use this brand again", only to go back to the brand at a later time.

In my experience, there is a difference between people saying they will never use a brand again and actually doing it. Especially when they were loyal to this brand before.

I do not believe that the majority of Platinum cruisers keep sailing with Disney because of the perks of being a Platinum member. There is something about the product they like, that fits their lifestyle.

If the product still fullfill their needs, they will most likely return.

I do not believe that the majority of Platinum cruisers keep sailing with Disney because of the perks of being a Platinum member. There is something about the product they like, that fits their lifestyle.

If the product still fullfill their needs, they will most likely return.
Yes, I don't think they are sailing specifically because they are a Platinum member. However, if they lose the status, it does make "jumping ship" to another cruise line a lot easier, and less likely that they will return.

And Disney knows this, and have decided they don't care. They must feel comfortable that other clients will fill whatever "void" is left by the cruiser who hasn't been on a boat for 5 years, who wishes to return now, but isn't willing to return because they don't get their tote bag.

In no world do I think this is "pro-consumer" or a strategy I would want to see implemented, but that's a different topic altogether.

I guess I'm weird - I make my cruise selections based on the itinerary (including embarkation point and ease of getting there), time of year, and perceived value TO ME. My "status" with any given line doesn't really enter into it. I've literally never said "I'm going with this cruise because I have status with the line."

I guess I'm weird - I make my cruise selections based on the itinerary (including embarkation point and ease of getting there), time of year, and perceived value TO ME. My "status" with any given line doesn't really enter into it. I've literally never said "I'm going with this cruise because I have status with the line."
So, we have some relatives who will only use RCL, because they want to keep working towards their C&A society points. They don't want to "Split their status" between two lines.

They don't travel cruises very often, maybe 1 3 night a year, and maybe nothing the next year, and then a 6 night the year after that...

By my measuring they are likely to hit Diamond sometime around the time they retire... I find it absurd that you'd care that much about the status, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've never even looked up what the benefits are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter